NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Posted By: leon

Please email me privately at lluckey@amherst1.com or the link on the board which is leonl@flash.net thanks much

Old 05-11-2005, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Posted By: leonl

Jewish Collector- quite honestly NOT emailing me is not an option if you care to continue to be able to post on this forum....thanks much

edited...thanks Julie....is this a case of a black kettle? First nit and then this

edited once more to say that you might want to check your spelling when you are correcting someone's grammar, Julie....no biggie...just thought it apropos

Old 05-11-2005, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Posted By: Julie

"Quite honestly, NOT e-mailing me is not an option.."

I meant absolutely nothing by it but a correction. Don't know what the guy has done, or not done.

And by the way, I think you're doing an increasingly good job of managing this board! Increasingly, your tone commands respect, and I like your loose handling-but-after-a-point-no-nonsense attitude.

Edited: Leon, "correcf" for "correct" is NOT a spelling mistake, it's a typo..can't find any other of either.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

The gentleman known as Jewish Collector has emailed me privately and has agreed not to post confrontational or argumentative things anonymously. He, or anyone, can stay anonymous (unless the rules change which I don't foresee) until there is an issue.....

Julie- a typo is still a spelling mistake but maybe not vice versa..it's the ole glass house thing....but you were correct in correcting me What I had said didn't make sense until you pointed out my error and I corrected it....so thanks for that...

Old 05-12-2005, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Posted By: barrysloate

As a former college English teacher who taught a class in writing and who corrected a million bad essays (give or take) I would like to hereby anoint myself the title of Spelling and Grammar Cop. Leon could give me special access into everybody's posts and I could make all the necessary corrections, just like I did in my old college days. Then we can have a board free of errors and the sun will shine and the birds will sing and the world will be a better place for all.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Posted By: Jay Miller

Barry--You are in desperate need of a life.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Point well taken- also please note my response was a bit tongue-in-cheek. But I will say that everyone could take an extra minute to proofread a post before they submit- and I'll leave it at that.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

As soon as you learn the difference between "advice" and "advise" you can be crowned "King Of Spelling and Grammar". (just kidding as I have to get you on something) I think I would probably get about a B+, in this department, if I tried real hard ......

Old 05-12-2005, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

I'm looking to see where I made that mistake. If it is true, I renounce my claim to spelling cop. Which post?

Old 05-12-2005, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Not everyone subscribes to the grammatical, spelling and other communication standards imposed on us by the language authorities. This country is founded on freedom, particularly the freedom of expression. Further, since the purpose of language is communication, the exact format and content is immaterial (imho) so long as that objective is accomplished.

The freedom to mistype deliberately and accidentally is an inalienable right inherent in the free thinkers typical encountered in our community. Similarly, the starting of a post in boxes entitled "your name", "message title" or anywhere else is a right, not a priveledge (that is, unless our UberMeister disagrees).

Dare to be different.

Ooops, I owe you an -ly

Old 05-12-2005, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

My main beef is that sometimes I read a post and to tell you the truth I can't understand what the poster is saying because he has not taken the time to organize his thoughts. Everyone is free to do as one pleases, but I assume that if you post something you do it so others will understand your point of view. Sometimes that becomes rather difficult.

Old 05-12-2005, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Posted By: Josh A.

The importance of clarity and proper sentence structure have been underestimated in today's society. Would have to agree with Barry on this one.
When briefs are written poorly, without attention to grammar, the arguments are already lost.

Old 05-12-2005, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Thanks Josh for getting my point. I've actually had several people ask me (they will remain anonymous)why people don't proofread before they post. Perhaps they are in a rush, or don't care, but I just think it's courteous and readers appreciate it. Maybe it's just my training, and I know not everyone agrees.

Old 05-12-2005, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Posted By: dan mckee

Barry, I try to proofread, I am just an idiot so I do not know any better. ook College English 4 times, finally got a C. Dan.

Old 05-12-2005, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Not true Dan- you're a bright guy, and so is just about everyone who posts on this board. Some are just careless.

Old 05-12-2005, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Barry - are your standards going to be as vague as those of PSA? Or do you feel grammatical expressionism is not subjective?

- a curious participle dangler

Old 05-12-2005, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Posted By: vetekbob

I am sure that it doesnt make anyone no never mind as to how others may obliterate the kings english if you will, but I just wants everyone to know that I duz my bestest I do fear though that my posting will at best receive a psa 1
**disclaimer** Actually, I found these actual words on a letter in my grandfathers attic and the words looked genuine to me but I am no english major and since the words of this letter havent been officially graded by psa,sgc, or gai, this posting is being listed as a reprint due to posting regulations. If this posting should receive a psa 1 grade, I certainly would resubmit it as I feel I was robbed.

basicgreatguy@hotmail.com

Old 05-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Posted By: barry arnold

Barry knows that I,too,have taught at a university twenty years and
agree that grammar,syntax,syllogistic acumen are desperately needed in
our written communications.
Where we disagree is in our philosophical anthropology. I don't think
it is an easy area for most of humanity. Presently, I teach some of
the brightest physicians I've ever taught and have some terribly written
essays.
Still, I'd love for Barry Sloate's anthropology to be the correct one.

all the best

Barry Arnold

Old 05-12-2005, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Posted By: PASJD

I believe, as did the great poet E.E. Cummings, that the world is full of too many people paying too much "attention to the syntax of things."

Old 05-12-2005, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

I'm glad people are responding to this post and are having some fun with it, even if it is a bit at my expense. I just think it's nice to read something that's easy to understand. Likewise, I would assume if a poster had a choice he would prefer that he spelled correctly rather than incorrectly. After all, when one posts he expects others to read it and comment, so it might as well be clearly presented.

Old 05-12-2005, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Posted By: vetekbob

I agree with you Barry. I know I could do better in trying to convey my thoughts when making a posting and it is good to see the witty banter and levity that is traded back and forth on here inbetween being serious about cards.

basicgreatguy@hotmail.com

Old 05-12-2005, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Bob- that's the spirit! Set a good example and others will follow. Then we can finally be considered the most literate chatboard around- and we all know how important that is.

Old 05-12-2005, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

My typing is terrible, but correctable, but my spelling is and always will be bad. Only one of my professors in grad school lowered the garde on one of my papers because of the spelling mistakes...make of that what you will!

I THINK being unable to spell--unless you've had no education--is like being tone-deaf...there's no cure. Am I just pessimistic? It seems to me to have to do with "hearing" words instead of "seeing" them. Who can hear an "ible" from an "able"? A "Ripken" from a "Ripkin"?

Why is this guy speaking English instead of American? Or were they closer together so recently?

Old 05-12-2005, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Posted By: tbob

I hear or read so many grammatically impaired sentences every day, even in newspapers and on television and the radio because people have apparently forgotten everything they once learned in school about the correct usage (use?) of adverbs.
Just my 2 cents on a slow day unless you want to review Mike Wheat's 10,000 T206 listings on ebay...
Now I will gladly shut up and quickly end this post

Old 05-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Posted By: Scott Elkins

I believe Leon was correct in his statement. NOT e-mailing Leon was not an option if the person wanted to post again on the board. That certainly was not a double negative.

Old 05-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Scott- I suppose I could live with double negatives; at least you remember from school that they are incorrect, but there is worse. And Julie- I can say confidently that you are one of the brightest people on this board- after all, you are a docent, and a decent docent at that (please forgive me, but I've been meaning to say that for the longest time). But you do have typos galore- I bet if you spent a moment proofreading your posts could be perfect (oh boy, I'm going to get into trouble for this one, but I can take it).

Old 05-12-2005, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Posted By: Rich Klein

But I might add to FAQ that for posters such as Alan who are new to the board that ID'ing oneself is very appreciated.

I'm sure the college English Professors can add to the verbiage very effectively but this is just my opinion

Rich

Old 05-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Posted By: Scott Forrest

(that the purpose of language is to communicate).

We used to get hammered in school for starting sentences with prepositions, using contractions, etc., but teachers didn't take into account that language has been evolving since it's inception, and the reason has usually been to improve communication.

IMO, a valid gripe is when we see pure simple laziness, either spoken or written - laziness usually detracts from the communication process. I also recommend getting a small abridged dictionary and keeping it near your computer - when in doubt, whip it out.

Old 05-12-2005, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Scott- No question usage changes over time, and there are a good number of liberties one can take. And I use a dictionary too even when I post. Obviously, posting on the board is not like writing a dissertation, so people don't need to get too carried away. But I do think one should proofread before they hit the respond button.

Old 05-12-2005, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I corrected this to " Not e-mailing me is not an option..."<br />He then corrected his original post.

As far as I know, that's what it says now. I didn't know this was a grammar class, but what he wrote was wrong, and what I wrote was right, and he acknowledged it and corrected it.

CAN WE QUIT THIS NOW?

Old 05-12-2005, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Posted By: Scott Elkins

After all, you are the one who "turned this into a grammar class" correcting Leon. I must have missed Leon's first post before he corrected it. When I saw the post, there was nothing wrong with it - SORRY!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-12-2005, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

But I don't think you can hold me responsible for the whole 30-post thread!

Old 05-12-2005, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Class dismissed.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Posted By: John J. Grillo

Wow...a whole thread dedicated to grammer. Doesn't get much more exciting than this. I am a college professor (albeit IT Engineering) and my English is terrible. I set a bad example for grammer in the classroom. You can blame me for the poor grammer of our youth if you want to, but for everyone else on the board...I say "lighten up" a little on the typos, bad grammer, poor spelling, or whatever the h--- you want to call it.

Old 05-12-2005, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Posted By: jay behrens

D0n't m4k3 5t4rt u51ng d00d 5p33k

J4y

I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 05-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

How about grammatical errors that bug us all on this board....

I have a couple.....

there, they're, their.......HUGE confusion
affect vs. effect.......HUGE confusion

Not really grammar, just confusion by many.....
It's the NATIONAL, not the Nationals....no 'S', not a street rod show, it's a card show. Once per year, hence the name.......

Old 05-13-2005, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Tom is definitely on to something- my pet peeve on the board is "it's" and "its"- "its" is possessive, "it's" means "it is.". You can't use "it's" as belonging to something. See it all the time.

Old 05-13-2005, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Yes, the object of this preposition is to make persons who are hesitant to offer input, further self consious about which gerund belongs in the pluperfect tense - for those of us who seek pluperfection.

Old 05-13-2005, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Posted By: Todd Schultz

A couple of mine that are spewed on the radio/tv.

1. "I could care less" about this or that, when the speaker actually means to say he or she couldn't care less. To say you could care less implies you care to some degree now.

2. This or that skill is a person's "forte" pronounced "fortay", when the proper pronunciation is "fort". The word is butchered so frequently that it likely will be adopted as correct some day, just as people now tend to turn any noun into a verb by adding a participle; e.g., networked, calendared, etc.

3. My favorite--"We have a plutonic relationship". Well, it may be that the two of you worship the god of the underworld, but more likely you meant to say "platonic".

I understand the comments about how language is supposed to serve as a means of communication, and that we should not feel inhibited from speaking for fear of criticism, but c'mon, taken to the extreme, maybe we should all just learn a series of grunts and groans to express ourselves. Is that evolution or devolution?

Old 05-13-2005, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

That's a good one- that means you either have an affection for the planet Pluto or the element plutonium. I agree to keep the whole subject light; but I think it's a courtesy to the reader to proofread before you post. That's really my whole point.

Old 05-13-2005, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Posted By: jay behrens

I used to have a plutonic relationship, but the money wasn't worth the headache. Nothing persoanl against nuclear power. I actually am in favor of developing fission power, but the headache and red tape involved in the current nuclear field is a nightmare, to say the least and not worth the money for me.

Jay

I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 05-13-2005, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Posted By: Anonymous

I would of
I should of
I could of

Old 05-13-2005, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Posted By: Ben

It's not "definately" folks, nor is it "definitly" or "defanitely".

All together now, DEFINITELY!

Old 05-13-2005, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

You are definitely right at that. And "would've, should've, could've", of course. But I think you knew that already.

Old 05-13-2005, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Is this accepted now as gramattically okay? I notice Barry started a sentence with both of those words in a post on this thread. I do it all the time, but I know that when I was in school this was not acceptable.

Dan

Old 05-13-2005, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

That's a matter of usage. In an informal context such as this board, it's fine. If you were writing a term paper or dissertation, I wouldn't advise it. Sometimes even when I read the New York Times I see skilled writers using incomplete sentences. It's grammatically incorrect, but acceptable for some reason in the context it is being used. I think many rules are more lax today.

Old 05-13-2005, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Posted By: Max Weder

My father was the spelling bee champion of Detroit sometime around 1930, went to many Tigers games, but never kept a scorebook or a baseball card from his youth.

As for "forte", http://www.dictionary.com lists both pronunciations as acceptible, and I actually think forte would be the preferred pronunciation, given its Latin/Italian roots (if French, it would only deal with a feminine forte)

Wondering why Americans pronounce "foyer" "foyer",

Max

Old 05-13-2005, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Posted By: Anonymous

For the Fo-yeah

Old 05-13-2005, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

It's "between him and me," both being objects of the preposition "between."

Old 05-13-2005, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish-collector

Correct- "he" and "I" are subjects, "him" and "me" are objects. Simple enough in theory, confusing when you are speaking.