NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-12-2011, 10:16 AM
James Gallo

Default Removing Sharpie Personalization's from photos

So I have a pile of glossy photos that are all signed in sharpie and are all personalized. It seems that with some lighter fluid the sharpie will come off clean with no residue and does not leave a mark. I also checked under a black light and there is no residue. I want to make a "To Steve best wishes" read just "best wishes".

My two questions are

Any problem doing this? I think this is different then removing names from a ball as it does not damage the photo or the rest of the signature.

Is there any way to detect this?

Would the community at large this this was restoration/alteration, or would it be treated like soaking some are fine with it, but some aren't?

James G

Last edited by JamesGallo; 04-12-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:30 PM
Doug Goodman

When I worked at a grocery store back in the days of prices marked on soup cans with an ink stamper, we would remove the prices (when we needed to change them) with hairspray, which may, or may not, be easier to work with than lighter fluid.

I would consider the picture to be "altered" myself, although I don't collect autographs (anymore), so others may have a more valid opinion.

Doug
Old 04-12-2011, 12:33 PM

To remove personalizations on glossy photos, use these markers called "Dry Erase".

I use markers made by a company called Expo and they come in a variety of colors (which doesn't matter).

The only way it can be detected is if a celebrity applies WAY TOO much pressure to the photo (usually with a thinner sharpie).

Otherwise, no issues and no one will ever know.

DanC

Last edited by danc; 04-12-2011 at 12:34 PM. Reason: askew spacing
Old 04-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Steve Zarelli

Please do not use lighter fluid or any liquid. The risk of overspill or damage is way too high.

A Pentel Clic Eraser will take Sharpie off a glossy photo like it was never there with zero damage. Rub very lightly and lightly brush away the eraser crumbles frequently.

Here is an example of a photo that used to be personalized.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGallo View Post
Any problem doing this? I think this is different then removing names from a ball as it does not damage the photo or the rest of the signature.

Is there any way to detect this?

Would the community at large this this was restoration/alteration, or would it be treated like soaking some are fine with it, but some aren't?
By the way, removing personalizations is called "washing."

I would not do it with something historical and unique, but for a common signed photo, I really don't think it's a "cultural crime."

I suspect there may be traces of evidence visible under a UV light or something similar. But if done right, the ink is simply removed with no surface damage to the photo... should be impossible to tell with the naked eye unless the signer pressed hard enough to create indentations.

In my view, it should be disclosed to potential buyers... especially if there are remaining indentations in the paper. I've received obviously washed SPs from dealers that had faint indentations and I was not happy as I considered it damage.

Last edited by Mr. Zipper; 04-12-2011 at 01:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-13-2011, 01:20 AM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

Thanks for the info.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:37 AM
Jim Murphy

daily, we hear cries of "off with his head" when anyone here sees something that has been changed or altered, something added to enhance a item. Greed, forgeries, how dare you.

Funny stuff here these days
Old 04-13-2011, 10:26 AM
Frank Prisco

This is so crazy - to assume removal means nothing - it's altered - I remember when Al Rosen was selling gum stain remover at his table and all the graded card guys where fighting to stop him from selling it - guess we all have different standards - just because it's sharpie and comes off easy makes it ok
Old 04-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmont Sport View Post
This is so crazy - to assume removal means nothing - it's altered - I remember when Al Rosen was selling gum stain remover at his table and all the graded card guys where fighting to stop him from selling it - guess we all have different standards - just because it's sharpie and comes off easy makes it ok

Nice display this weekend at the Antique Show Frank
Old 04-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmont Sport View Post
guess we all have different standards - just because it's sharpie and comes off easy makes it ok
I suspected some folks would take issue with the matter of washing and it's certainly understandable.

That said, we're discussing removing personalizations from modern -- and common -- signed photos. In my view, not quite the same as removing a signature from a vintage ball to make it single-signed or chopping up a document to sell as parts.

I've done it on a handful of SPs that remain in my collection as it presents much better than "To Herman Yablonski..." If that makes me a bad guy guilty of marring the holiest of holies, so be it.

Steve Zarelli
Old 04-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Frank Prisco

Thanks - Jim ------ i'll be back at Oaks this weekend Booths 635-637-734-736 -i'll have some blazing early Ruth photos all BVG TYPE 1
Old 04-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Dave Foster

I've done it on a handful of SPs that remain in my collection as it presents much better than "To Herman Yablonski..."

Mr. Yablonski may take offense at having his name removed!
Old 03-19-2014, 10:05 AM
Dan

Has anyone tried this on a white panel autograph football? My daughter attended a function at which a bunch of Ravens signed her Super Bowl autograph ball. Unfortunately, some other guy who was there, who wasn't a player, also signed it (even put a number next to his name). I'd love to get it off the football.

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2014, 11:16 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
I suspected some folks would take issue with the matter of washing and it's certainly understandable.

That said, we're discussing removing personalizations from modern -- and common -- signed photos. In my view, not quite the same as removing a signature from a vintage ball to make it single-signed or chopping up a document to sell as parts.

I've done it on a handful of SPs that remain in my collection as it presents much better than "To Herman Yablonski..." If that makes me a bad guy guilty of marring the holiest of holies, so be it.

Steve Zarelli
I've tried the dry erase...didn't work. Tried the goof off...didn't work. Tried the alcohol...didn't work. All on the same 2 photos all I get are smudges and white marks.

didn't realize this was from 2011 and included our very own FRANK PRISCO !

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 03-19-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post

Steve Zarelli
How about removing a personalization from an Armstrong SP (modern, and pretty common), and thereby doubling its value?
Old 03-19-2014, 02:49 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
How about removing a personalization from an Armstrong SP (modern, and pretty common), and thereby doubling its value?
I say go ahead and attempt to remove it if you want. There is no guarantee that it will come off totally and nicely. If it is ruined, you only have yourself to blame. If it looks better and it's for your collection, great. If you go to sell it, divulge the "washing" and take great pics of the area in question (if not selling in person) and let the potential buyer(s) decide if they want it or not.

Last edited by baseball tourist; 03-19-2014 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-21-2014, 07:42 AM
Dan

Tried Clic Eraser on the white panel autograph football, but no success. Has anyone tried to get Sharpie off of one of these footballs?

Thanks.