NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Default eBay Masking all Bidders

Posted By: Jim Dale

It appears that eBay is now hiding the identities of all bidders on all auctions. I'm torn actually since one person does like to follow me around and bid on the exact same odd ball things I collect - guess he won't be able to do that any more. But its discerning to think some sellers can now simply cast a desired minimum bid on their auctions - if they are willing to pay for that? (using a 2nd ID)

Old 03-06-2008, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

So you will be shilling your auctions then Larry?

Old 03-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Larry Haven is not allowed to post on the Net54 baseball forums...sorry if that interrupts the flow of conversation of this thread, but he has broken Net54 rules.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Sorry, your post doesn't make as much sense since I deleted the post before yours.....The less we talk about larryhaven (troll)the better. I will not say anything about deleting any of his posts in the future and neither will the other moderators.....pretty soon he will get tired......or run out of IP addresses ......best regards

Old 03-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

No problem Leon - I figured it was a matter of time before he got deleted.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

This privacy thing sure puts the brakes on messing with the scammers. Well, I'm gonna have to complete these honey-do lists now.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Glad leon posted...for a minute I thought JK thought I was some guy named Larry I never heard of...

This is still a torn issue for me; mostly because I think cheating on ebay is rampant.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cy

I am confused as to why ebay is doing this. The rationale on ebay's web-site is that some buyers use their E-mail address as their handle and, therefore, are being approached by people with off-ebay sales. This may be true, BUT ...

1) People who use their E-mail address use it so that others CAN E-mail them at will.

2) Couldn't ebay just say that buyers and sellers CANNOT use an E-mail address for their handle?

Just some thoughts.

Cy

Old 03-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

If we can't see the names of the bidders, we can't determine if a seller is shilling. If we can't find the shillers we can't complain about them. If we can't complain about them, Ebay's complaint rate will fall. If the rate falls, Ebay can claim it is combating shilling. All it is really doing is making it impossible to detect and report shilling but reality doesn't matter; it's all about perceptions so regulators and defrauded people don't come knocking, the press doesn't get interested (as they did with BRSZ), and the company's stock price rises.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 03-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Notice too that ebay has done away with the system where you could scroll over the ebay bidder on the bidder list to see how many auctions that bidder has bid on from the same seller. In effect they have completely taken away every tool one has to detect shilling.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Administrator

However many people ebay "had" replying to shill complaints...I'll bet about 75% of them just got laid off.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

I don't think anyone has been allowed to have their email address as a user ID for years. I know mine used to be that when I started in 1997 and I was told to change it within a few years. I don't think anyone has an email address for an ID, but they may have part of it and the spammers and phishers are using attachments like msn.com or aol.com and blanket mailing them??

Scott

Old 03-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

My ebay ID is jacklitsch
My email address is jacklitsch@comcast.net
At one time it was jacklitsch@aol.com and jacklitsch@earthlink.com

So the second chance scammers take my ebay ID and run it through the most common IP's and voila they find me.

That is what this is intended to stop.

Now if your ebay ID is SB1 then you have no problem

Old 03-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Administrator

at one time mine was scottbrockelman or scottbrockelman@msn.com I forget and they made me change it. Now it's that simple SB1.

Steve outed me forever.

Scott

Old 03-08-2008, 06:34 AM
Administrator

While looking thru some listings this morning on ebay it suddenly dawned on me. Why even have the user ID visible at this point? It offers nothing. Just post the current high bid and be done with it.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

SB1 is right...

It reminds me of Mr. Maxwell's phone auctions of 15 years ago, or so... You'd call and bid, and he'd either say you were winning, or that you'd been outbid and what the next bid would be. While I completely trusted him, someone could just tell you that you'd been outbid even if you hadn't been...

So eBay should just go ahead and get rid of the bidder list altogether. All it is now is a facade of legitimacy. We should just list something, then in 7 days they could tell us if it sold, or not, and if so for how much to whom.

This ID change has proven to be not a small step backwards, but rather a marathon in reverse.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: 1880nonsports

and wife Virginia from PA. Believe they are still selling on eBay - she is anyway.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian

I didn't know they were on eBay. Didn't they sell all their baseball cards many years ago?

Old 03-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Administrator

but of course you had to sift through every minute variation in the world of print anomolies. Guys today would have had a field day bidding on all of the "variations" that Jim preceived.

Scott

Old 03-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Can't you still go to the site map, hit "contact member," type in their user id and see what they are bidding on (unless you use a sniper service to prevent this)? I don't know, haven't tried it but it seems like if you were someone who wanted to nose around, you could.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

I just tried that with you and Henry and poof!

nadda!

BcD

Old 03-09-2008, 04:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: 1880nonsports

I just looked at the active bidding history on some itmes I'm selling. "I" could see the "details" on each bidder besides their ID - details which included how many of my items and others a bidder had bid on, % bid on, number of independent sellers - etc.. When I tried to look at someone else's listings and get the same detail - not possible. Unless I'm mistaken that allows me to ferret out shilling on my own listings but not those of other sellers. Novel concept......

Old 03-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Administrator

So I had some bids in on some cards and noticed two of them had gotten bid up a little and the masked bidder both had 270 feed backs and so I clicked in the little masked thing and found something interesting:

30-Day Summary
Total bids: 6251
Items bid on: 1624
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 71%
Bid retractions: 0
Bid retractions (6 months): 6

In the last 30 days 6,251 BIDS? Wow...only 270 feedback....and 71% of the activity with the same seller;

Wonder if ebay would care; of course I can't prove anything it just looks bad.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard L.

Jim,
That is one of the most suspicious 30 day summaries I've ever seen. And that's an average of over 200 bids per day!