NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-04-2024, 07:46 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Default Ummmmm…..👀 Questionable to say the least.

Yeah so this card popped up on my radar and it left me scratching my head and wondering how in the world this got that grade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2052.jpg (178.6 KB, 830 views)

Member since 2009
Old 01-04-2024, 08:11 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Ancient grade, old psa grades are often insane.

I will praise sgc for a much tighter scale back in the day. Many old label sgc cards I see and own look like the grade they would get today.

On the flip side many old psa cards look 2 grades higher than what they would get today.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 01-04-2024, 08:11 PM
Mike Henry

I was always under the impression that PSA basically picked a random number between 1 and 10 for the old labels.
Old 01-04-2024, 09:35 PM
Doug Goodman

The opinion sellers.

They didn't care about your card then, they don't care about your card now.

It was then, it is now, and it will always be, about your wallet.

Doug "happy to beat the dead horse" Goodman
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wagner-00000001 - Copy.jpg (130.9 KB, 731 views)

Last edited by doug.goodman; 01-04-2024 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-05-2024, 07:05 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunboat82 View Post
I was always under the impression that PSA basically picked a random number between 1 and 10 for the old labels.
LMAO Sounds seriously legit. A roll of the ten sided die determines your fate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
The opinion sellers.

Doug you are so right. BTW that Wagner would be a 9 or 9.5 in todays standards. The owner should resub.

Member since 2009
Old 01-05-2024, 09:40 AM
P.aul Orl,in

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
The opinion sellers.

I dont know if this does any good, but i looked at the t206s in Heritage’s latest showcase auction, and they all look just too good. Near perfect sides and corners. So many of them. I find it hard to believe.but they got “graded”.

I stayed away from these high graded prewar cards for years (to my detriment!), thinking the hobby would reject them at some point. That has been very wrong. What can you do? They sure look nice……
Old 01-06-2024, 02:12 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckpaul View Post
I dont know if this does any good, but i looked at the t206s in Heritage’s latest showcase auction, and they all look just too good. Near perfect sides and corners. So many of them. I find it hard to believe.but they got “graded”.

I stayed away from these high graded prewar cards for years (to my detriment!), thinking the hobby would reject them at some point. That has been very wrong. What can you do? They sure look nice……
Many high grade pre war cards look too nice....especially ones with small borders.
The card in the first post wouldn't get that grade today.
Old 01-06-2024, 03:11 PM
Mike P.ap

Default ........

It's a 4 all day.

I like the "throwing the 10 sided dice theory".

Old 01-06-2024, 04:18 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Nice looking T205, nice than 95% you will ever see.

It Isn't a 7 but not a bad looking card and I have seen far more egregious grading errors than this one (The recent Baltimore News Ruth was way worse)

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 01-06-2024 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2024, 06:02 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
Nice looking T205, nice than 95% you will ever see.

It Isn't a 7 but not a bad looking card and I have seen far more egregious grading errors than this one (The recent Baltimore News Ruth was way worse)
I'm working a consignment with a Goudey Ruth 3 that is a joke even by old standards. should've been a 2 back then, 1.5 at the best now.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-06-2024, 06:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

And very few will notice, and even fewer will care. Whatever may be wrong, is sanitized by the flip. This is the hobby we live in, ruled by card doctors and their facilitators.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-06-2024 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-07-2024, 06:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

One of the fun parts of taking consignments; telling the consignor it's not going to get a full grade, on the flip, price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I'm working a consignment with a Goudey Ruth 3 that is a joke even by old standards. should've been a 2 back then, 1.5 at the best now.
Old 01-07-2024, 02:36 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
And very few will notice, and even fewer will care. Whatever may be wrong, is sanitized by the flip. This is the hobby we live in, ruled by card doctors and their facilitators.
Sad but true

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 01-07-2024, 05:40 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
That's a great way to put it - "sanitized by the flip". Unfortunately it's also legitimized by the flip, but I like the word "sanitized" much better.

When I see T206 cards in HIGH grade, I always look to see if they meet the standard size requirement. I usually see them slightly more narrow or shorter. I've seen very few high grade T206 that are oversized. I'm sure most people have noticed that, also. One of these days I'm going to find the auction catalog that had one of the first collections with the name in the flip and they were all T206. If you saw some of the cards you'd shake your head because you KNOW they were trimmed.

I know the argument/debate - the sizes of the cards varied but I've seen a few rows of over a couple hundred T206 cards (raw) and the sizes varied very little for those groupings. That's why I have a difficult time buying into that debate.

Also, when I was going to school, I worked in a print shop (yeah, a long time ago) and I remember the guy that was running the show made sure that our cuts were right on, every time. I saw them waste a batch of stuff that was printed because I was about 1/8" off on the cut. The guy looked at me and said let's do better next time. Luckily, it was a small batch, but lesson learned and I understood that good print shops took pride in their work.
Old 01-07-2024, 06:04 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
One of the fun parts of taking consignments; telling the consignor it's not going to get a full grade, on the flip, price.
Yup, they often act like I'm trying to rip them off. I slowly explain that there's no upside to me if a card sells for less, I'm not the one buying it.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 01-07-2024 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-07-2024, 06:30 PM
P.aul Orl,in

People don’t seem to care in general (we do, but not many more). I just had a dealer post a hockey set on Facebook with older psa 8 grades. Most of them looked like 5-6 today. He priced them at what seemed like reasonable prices for 8’s today off recent comps. Those comps are all over the place on quality of grading. But recent 6’s were $400-600 for the best cards, and $1400–1800 for 8’s. I was about to send him a private note but before i could i saw his post that the set had sold. (A lots of recent high end hockey card collectors are having registry battles it seems, so they care mostly about the flip). It wasn’t up very long so i doubt it was discounted at all. Seems crazy to me. The cards aren’t that hard to come by in the lower grades they deserved (some were off center but moreso at least one really soft corner on each “8”, even allowing for rough OPC cuts). Each of these were graded 8. Not bad cards, and the checklist can get a premium, but i figured buyers would balk at “8” prices. Wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5250.jpg (91.3 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5249.jpg (134.8 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5248.jpg (100.6 KB, 158 views)
Old 01-08-2024, 04:41 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
People don’t seem to care in general (we do, but not many more). I just had a dealer post a hockey set on Facebook with older psa 8 grades. Most of them looked like 5-6 today. He priced them at what seemed like reasonable prices for 8’s today off recent comps. Those comps are all over the place on quality of grading. But recent 6’s were $400-600 for the best cards, and $1400–1800 for 8’s. I was about to send him a private note but before i could i saw his post that the set had sold. (A lots of recent high end hockey card collectors are having registry battles it seems, so they care mostly about the flip). It wasn’t up very long so i doubt it was discounted at all. Seems crazy to me. The cards aren’t that hard to come by in the lower grades they deserved (some were off center but moreso at least one really soft corner on each “8”, even allowing for rough OPC cuts). Each of these were graded 8. Not bad cards, and the checklist can get a premium, but i figured buyers would balk at “8” prices. Wrong.
Yes, you are right on. This set did sell for a premium.
This registry set game among the hockey guys is a fools game. Most are what us “experienced” collectors call “Facebook stars”.
I’m closing in on completing the 1936-37 OPC in mid grade(4-6). Showed it to a “star” who is a relative newbie and he was all over me to put it in the PSA registry as there are apparently only five complete sets in the registry. Who knew? Frankly I have little interest in doing so, only to look at upgrading this and that on some made up competition.
Maybe I’m just a collector who likes to collect for me.

Last edited by Stampsfan; 01-08-2024 at 04:43 AM.