NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-30-2023, 01:57 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
The data scientist cherry-picked his data...
I have a lot of data on this. I'm not guessing here and I have no agenda to push. I submit to whoever is going to make me the most money when grading cards to sell. Which means I submit to both PSA and SGC, depending on the card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I'm in agreement Scott....as a whole, PSA brings higher prices. Do you notice that in your auctions as well Scott? I would LOVE to see them both bring the same comps. That is simply not reality though.
You cannot just look at 10 random PSA 6 copies of a card and compare them with 10 random SGC 6 copies of the same card and make the claim that PSA brings higher prices than SGC because those PSA 6s outsold the SGC 6s. Not with vintage. You can't even make that claim across 100 copies of each, or even 100 copies each of 1,000 different cards. That was my entire point in creating that thread. If you want to answer the question of which TPG sells for more, PSA or SGC, then you have to take THE SAME CARD and send it to both PSA and SGC and only then can you determine which one outsells the other. Then you have to specify which cards you're talking about; post-war vintage commons, vintage HOFers with soft corners, OC cards, ultra-modern, etc. It all matters, and you're leaving money on the table if you haven't figured that out yet.

If I have a card that I know will get a 4 at both PSA and SGC, like an otherwise EX-MT card with a tiny surface wrinkle, then I'm sending it to PSA because yes, in that case, it will sell for more as a PSA 4. But If I have a dead-centered 1954 Topps Hank Aaron RC with slightly soft corners and a flawless surface, I'd be making a financial blunder by sending it to PSA because SGC is going to give that card a higher grade nearly every single time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
In my experience, all things being equal, PSA cards go for more. If an SGC card has screaming eye appeal for the grade that can be an obvious exception.

HOF'ers the gap is smaller, commons the gap is HUGE at the higher grades, easily explainable by the lack of a set registry.
Yes, for commons, the gap is much more significant. Particularly at the higher grades. Even a PSA 8 will often compete with an SGC 9 for some random 1970s Topps common.
Old 12-30-2023, 02:26 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

What kind of complete and utter maniac grades commons?????!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-30-2023, 03:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I have definitely started sending a lot of the stuff I used to send to PSA over to SGC now. But for certain cards, it's still worth the gamble at PSA. Sometimes you get a fair grader there. It's a roll of the dice. I use my own grading probability distributions to decide where to send what.

With all the noise from vintage collectors screaming from the rooftops at PSA regarding harsh grades of vintage, you'd have to assume at some point they actually start listening to their customers and hold a grading realignment meeting with the grading team. Especially when those complaints are coming from long time seasoned hobby vets who know what they're talking about. Perhaps that has recently happened? It's still too early to tell, but my most recent submission and this submission both being accurate is at least a sign of hope.
i hope that happens. I have hundreds of cards I haven't sent in because it's just not worth it in a harsh, punishing grading environment, but would like to grade them someday if there is hope for accuracy.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-30-2023 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-30-2023, 04:03 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.ź.Σ

Quote:
Brent...I didn't see you on this one??? That's odd, eh?
Yeah, I missed the boat on this one. I was vacationing when you announced it. I’ll be back, though, assuming you’ll have me.
Old 12-31-2023, 04:54 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
i hope that happens. I have hundreds of cards I haven't sent in because it's just not worth it in a harsh, punishing grading environment, but would like to grade them someday if there is hope for accuracy.
I know that some people who have been grading since the start claim that PSA goes in cycles, oscillating back and forth between harsher grades and softer grades. This hasn't been my observation, but it seems plausible. I've been waiting for a correction for years now. We'll know soon enough if it's actually here or if it's still business as usual though. That data will come in pretty quickly.
Old 12-31-2023, 07:43 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I know that some people who have been grading since the start claim that PSA goes in cycles, oscillating back and forth between harsher grades and softer grades. This hasn't been my observation, but it seems plausible. I've been waiting for a correction for years now. We'll know soon enough if it's actually here or if it's still business as usual though. That data will come in pretty quickly.
I have a few hundred cards out at any given time. Unfortunately I haven't noticed a pattern, but if I start to see something I'll share.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-02-2024, 07:46 PM
Robert Williams

We got a tracking number....cards should be back soon.
Old 01-03-2024, 06:45 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Thanks. Can't wait to get them. I appreciate you doing this for us, Bobby.
Old 01-04-2024, 07:44 AM
Robert Williams

The eagle has landed. Everyone be patient while I work to get these back out asap!
Old 01-05-2024, 05:10 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Gauging interest in the PSA 60's special.....the only catch is, I got an 8 day cruise coming up so that will leave out a major chunk of time near the end of the month.
Able to get them all done except the biggest one, and it will go out tonight.