NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-10-2016, 01:25 PM
Jay P$R$E
Jason Pi.rie (banned)

Default Pacific Northwest shops/shows?

We have planned a family vacation through the Pacific Northwest for the first two weeks of August.

Can anyone recommend any vintage card shows/shops in Oregon/Washington?

I would hate to miss out.

Thanks,
Jay
Old 07-10-2016, 11:05 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

There is a little shop in Renton, WA (just east of Seattle) called DJ's...they have all sorts of stuff and it was a fluke I found it and went in on the way to dinner. Ended up with a '40 Playball, a bunch of early '50s stuff, a blue-tint, and some Phillies oddball stuff from the 70s, 80s, and 90s...all priced very fairly (especially lower grade stuff). That was the best shop in Seattle (I miss U-trading)...the shop at Pike's has stuff but is OVERPRICED and underserviced. There used to be a good shop in Tacoma but have not been there in 15 years and not sure if it is still there (bought 22 obaks there in 1996 for $40!!).

I am sure others will know as I only get to Seattle about once every 2-3 years.

Joshua
Old 07-10-2016, 11:12 PM
Jay P$R$E
Jason Pi.rie (banned)

We're making our base not far from Renton, so I will definitely have to check out DJ's!

Thanks, Joshua!
Old 07-10-2016, 11:34 PM
Curt

Most of the shops I was aware of have closed up. DJs is one of the best, if not the best, for variety and value in the area. Don Joss (DJ) is a great guy and he does price things very fair and will negotiate with you if you are not happy with the prices. I think he buys just about anything that walks in except for the true junk. He has quite a flock to support, so he is about turning inventory! https://www.djssportscards.com

I used to work fairly close and then on weekends every once in a while, I would drive down from my area (Everett), which was a bit long but worth it if he had new stuff.

I can't really speak for anything else anymore as I am no longer traveling the countryside as I did before, but the only other shop that I still make it to from time to time is Card Exchange in North Seattle, around 140th on Aurora Ave (Hyw 99). http://www.cardexchangeonline.com

Ryder is the owner of that shop. He is another good guy. They seem to be more focused on non-sports cards/tournaments and wax these days, but they have several cases of singles. The vintage selection is relatively sparse though.

I also miss U Trading Cards. That was always my favorite shop. I worked for Mike for a little while when I was in school and for a time after graduating from UW, selling online. He definitely had the best stuff in the area.

As for shows, I don't really make them any longer. The WSSCA http://www.wsscaseattle.com just had their semiannual show and there is another group that seems to be every couple of weekends at the various malls. http://www.twinoaksshows.com

There may be a few other smaller places in WA now, but I don't know them any more.

As far as Portland, not sure. I do have an old Navy buddy who works in a shop in OR. Not sure of both places are current or not. I have never been to either. https://www.facebook.com/shonn.draper?fref=ts

Last edited by mrmopar; 07-10-2016 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:40 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

What he said...

I live here and there are a few shops here and there in the I-5 corridor but DJ's is the only one worth making a trip too. I am personal friends with Don the owner and you will not find a nicer more genuine guy. He is the real deal, and is willing to haggle a bit as well. His favorite quote is that he "is not running a museum!" He really moves his stuff and there are several, like myself, on his email list and we grab stuff before they even hit the store sometimes. Cool thing is he has different stuff routinely. Make some time if you go there, organization is not his passion and the store is jam packed of stuff and at times has a lot of folks in there. I make sure I go during the morning. Also, he will have tons of stuff in back as well, don't leave if you haven't told him what you are looking for. Not a lot of pre-war, but he does often have it.

I'll be watching this thread...if there is something I am missing out there I am all ears. I don't even bother with anything else in the area, mostly garbage.

**BTW...Don, or DJ, has a passion for adopting foreign handicapped children. He is an amazing guy, and I love supporting his business because of his amazing family. The guy is a saint on earth....literally. You'll see...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 07-10-2016, 11:45 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Curt/mrmopar...I live just a few minutes north of you in Marysville...

I have gone to a few of the twinoaks shows...always have hope and then not much...lol. The card exchange does have a gem or two every once in a while but your assessment is right on. I've never heard of the wssca, I will check them out...thanks.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 07-11-2016, 12:17 AM
Mikeknapp

Northwest Sports Cards in Tacoma has variety and Mill Creek Sports is a fun place. Mill Creek Primarily deals in autographs but they do have a large selection of cards.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 07-11-2016, 02:56 AM
ThreadKiller

Default Gas.

haven't seen Keith is many, many years (at one of the SoCal Nationals), way back when, but...he always had quality items...unaware if his brick & mortar store even exists today - 2016 - ...

he always had cool stuff...

link:

http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/
Old 07-12-2016, 04:02 PM
Jay P$R$E
Jason Pi.rie (banned)

Wow, just noticed your replies now.

I appreciate all of the info/tips/links Curt, John, Mike and DS!

Thanks,
Jay
Old 07-12-2016, 05:24 PM
Curt

When I first got out of college, I had a sales job that took me throughout the greater Seattle area. This was 1998 and there were a lot of little shops open still. I really enjoyed making the rounds. Let's see what I can remember: Eagle's & Staggs in Kent. After that, the names get hard to remember. There was the shop near the old One, Two & Three Renton (now Triton Towers) in Renton (think it is still there), World of Collections on 99 in the Edmonds/Lynnwood area, one off of 85th in the Greenwood area, one off 196th in Lynnwood near the old Hooters, one in Everett close to the Mall on Evergreen. There was a shop just north of where the old Pacific Trading Cards plant was too. Card Exchange has a location on Lake City and there was another shop a few doors down as well that started with a Z or something close. U Trading Cards was in full swing too. There was a small one on Stone Way that was good, Seattle Sports Cards I think. There was a shop at the base of Queen Anne that had some good stuff. There was a shop in Fremont that later moved too the top of Queen Anne. That may still be open, but never found it. I even tried to get a job at Pacific Trading Cards shortly before they packed up. Glad that never panned out! I'm sure there are others I am forgetting too.

I have tried that shop in Marysville a couple times since I moved north and have never seen anything good, seems like nothing rotates through, was always kind of dirty and it is always filled with gamers. I appreciate that this is what it takes to keep a business alive these days (non-sports/gaming), but for a pure sports collector, it is a major turn-off.

So many decent shops that have since closed their doors. I can't complain, as the internet has certainly helped out my collection much more than shops did, but it is still fun to dig around.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:26 PM
Curt

I think it might still be open, somewhere around 65th in the University/Ravenna area. I want to say I got a 56 Mantle there. It's been a long time since I have been by there though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourStrikes View Post
haven't seen Keith is many, many years (at one of the SoCal Nationals), way back when, but...he always had quality items...unaware if his brick & mortar store even exists today - 2016 - ...

link:

Old 07-12-2016, 05:51 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Last edited by conor912; 07-12-2016 at 05:57 PM. Reason: double post
Old 07-12-2016, 05:53 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourStrikes View Post

link:

Yup, still open. I think it's mostly vintage toys these days, but its still fun to look around and chat with Keith. He does have a ton of sports stuff, but you're probably better off emailing ahead of time so he can dig it out. Word is he's got several warehouses full of stuff.

Ron Oakden (Twin Oaks) is doing his last WA summer show this weekend, then he's doing two in Portland before coming back in September.

DJs is fun. Not worth a long trip, but certainly if you're in the area stop by. He never has anything I'm looking for, though I always manage to leave with several things. He churns through inventory as mentioned, which is nice. He makes a great atmosphere for kids and a pinball machine set to free play

Last edited by conor912; 07-12-2016 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:58 PM
Louie Michaud

Revitalizing this thread, as I'm planning a trip to Portland for a week or so at the end of this month. Any further suggestions in the Oregon area?
Old 07-17-2016, 07:29 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Portland

Louie,
Looks like you will miss the Twin Oaks show mentioned above.
It's in East Portland, but will be on July 23.
Missing that show wouldn't be terribly tragic to your collection since it's a very small show. Some great guys though and I usually try to go just to hang out with them.

If you collect prewar, there won't likely be anything around. There are two card stores that I am aware of in Vancouver, across from Portland...and not too far from where I live. Newer cards seem to be the norm there, but they occasionally have some 50-60-70's era cards.

What are your plans in Portland? If you are so inclined, I can sometimes break away for a cup of coffee and a chat. Talking baseball cards is nearly as fun as collecting them (witness the traffic on this board :-)

PM me if you want to go to one of those shops...depending on the day and my dumb work schedule, I may be able to join you.

Take care and enjoy your time in the Great Northwest. It's a pretty special place!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.