NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-14-2016, 05:38 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourStrikes View Post
CHICO Escuela. "...baseball has been berry, berry good to me..."

NOT being a d!ck - posted only for accuracy (BTW, it's a great quote!)

Sorry 'bout that...broken English is only my second language.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 07-14-2016, 07:39 AM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
You admit you aren't a dealer and don't make a living selling cards but call people that don't want to lose money on an investment they have made "bad at their job"? You are right we need more dealers in this hobby that offer people pennies on the dollar for their quality items because that makes them "good at their job", because hey, they never lose money right!?!

Honestly, it isn't that hard to wait for a screaming deal that may show up from time to time and then sell for a pretty good profit. We have all done this. Making these types of deals in bulk and consistently turning a profit is very difficult and I know I don't envy people that try to make a living doing so.

I never said pennies on the dollar...just fair market price. And wait are they investing or buying for resale? Investing is totally different.

Recently I messaged with a gentleman selling a Mean Joe Greene PSA 8.5 RC card currently for $25k despite the fact that it is about a 2-3k card. He wrote me a dissertation about why that price is accurate yet he won't purchase the other PSA 8.5 sitting there for (also overly inflated price) $11k. I just said "thank you".

If the public actually educated themselves, shops like Dean's Cards would be out of business. But gotta give him credit because they "are one of the only trusted sports card stores on eBay" and they have their own grading system and neat little stickers (gasp)...and probably a truck full of money out back so who am I to judge.

And yes I do believe dealers who invest in items they can't afford and then hold them for years at ridiculously inflated prices are dumb.

Last edited by ksabet; 07-14-2016 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksabet View Post
I never said pennies on the dollar...just fair market price. And wait are they investing or buying for resale? Investing is totally different.

Recently I messaged with a gentleman selling a Mean Joe Greene PSA 8.5 RC card currently for $25k despite the fact that it is about a 2-3k card. He wrote me a dissertation about why that price is accurate yet he won't purchase the other PSA 8.5 sitting there for (also overly inflated price) $11k. I just said "thank you".

If the public actually educated themselves, shops like Dean's Cards would be out of business. But gotta give him credit because they "are one of the only trusted sports card stores on eBay" and they have their own grading system and neat little stickers (gasp)...and probably a truck full of money out back so who am I to judge.

And yes I do believe dealers who invest in items they can't afford and then hold them for years at ridiculously inflated prices are dumb.
An educated consumer is the best consumer. A few months ago I bought a card from Deans for $2480 and sold it a month later for a $1200 profit. Otherwise, on my other deals with them I will probably lose about $200. All in all not that bad. I just need to work on the $200 mistake(s). I like Dean's Cards, personally.

AND to get back on track, there are reasons PWCC is kicking butt. For one, they advertise a ton. For two, they seem to be bringing stellar cards to market with their business model. And for three, Brent isn't afraid of transparency which goes a long ways in building trust (see his offerings). IS there still work to do on the auction bidding anomalies, of course. But PWCC is doing a fine job at the moment and their sales are proving it out.

Last edited by Leon; 07-14-2016 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:06 AM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
An educated consumer is the best consumer. A few months ago I bought a card from Deans for $2480 and sold it a month later for a $1200 profit. Otherwise, on my other deals with them I will probably lose about $200. All in all not that bad. I just need to work on the $200 mistake(s). I like Dean's Cards, personally.

AND to get back on track, there are reasons PWCC is kicking butt. For one, they advertise a ton. For two, they seem to be bringing stellar cards to market with their business model. And for three, Brent isn't afraid of transparency which goes a long ways in building trust (see his offerings). IS there still work to do on the auction bidding anomalies, of course. But PWCC is doing a fine job at the moment and their sales are proving it out.

Agree. At this time, with their current fee structure and wildly successful business model, I see no compelling reason to consign a graded sportscard with anyone else. Arguments can be made to the contrary of course.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:44 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
sorry to hear this...buy obviously you're not in the "in" crowd!!!!!
I would rather have a clear conscious and integrity than be in the "in" crowd if thats what you are saying

Member since 2009
Old 07-14-2016, 10:34 AM
Larry P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
Agree. At this time, with their current fee structure and wildly successful business model, I see no compelling reason to consign a graded sportscard with anyone else.
Agreed. Hopefully, continued success will not lead to them raising their fees, in which case they would fall back into the crowd of other AHs.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:43 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I wonder if in the age of eBay the 30 day auction, I will get you a catalog eventually, isn't fading into the background. People want action. 10 days from announcing it to it ending seems right to me -- and PWCC doesn't require you to stay up to 4:30 am either. Maybe some of the other AH's should take note. I can plan my life with these auctions. Tonight's ends at 9:30 for me. Last few Heritage and others I lost in the middle of the night while fast asleep. I'm not playing that game anymore.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:54 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

They also have some very dedicated bidders .... here is an idea of what you can see on just about every item they offer. Maybe not 100% on all, but you can see how loyal a following these guys have!

30-Day Summary
Total bids: 54
Items bid on: 23
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 100% Help
Bid retractions: 0
Bid retractions (6 months): 0

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 07-14-2016, 07:28 PM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
They also have some very dedicated bidders .... here is an idea of what you can see on just about every item they offer. Maybe not 100% on all, but you can see how loyal a following these guys have!

30-Day Summary
Total bids: 54
Items bid on: 23
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 100% Help
Bid retractions: 0
Bid retractions (6 months): 0

Yes if you consider consignors bidding on their own items to be loyalty
Old 07-14-2016, 07:31 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Yes if you consider consignors bidding on their own items to be loyalty
They do seem to be very loyal bidders.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:06 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I have a hard time recalling my last eBay bid for an important card that wasn't PWCC. I'm sure if someone pulled my history with them they'd say it's suspicious too.

Just pulled down the one card I wanted more than anything else out there. 10 day auction and I'm not going to go to bed wondering if some guy in Californoa who works nights is going to beat me to it at 3:45 am. Yes. Thank you PWCC.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-14-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:24 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I have a hard time recalling my last eBay bid for an important card that wasn't PWCC. I'm sure if someone pulled my history with them they'd say it's suspicious too.

Just pulled down the one card I wanted more than anything else out there. 10 day auction and I'm not going to go to bed wondering if some guy in Californoa who works nights is going to beat me to it at 3:45 am. Yes. Thank you PWCC.
My history would show similar results. A couple of bids with Sean and maybe Probstein, but no one else else comes close to putting the quality and quantity of high end cards up for auction as pwcc. I bet my profile shows 80-90% with him. And I don't shill my own consignments.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:57 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
My history would show similar results. A couple of bids with Sean and maybe Probstein, but no one else else comes close to putting the quality and quantity of high end cards up for auction as pwcc. I bet my profile shows 80-90% with him. And I don't shill my own consignments.
Cause no one else gets the money they do. It's a catch-22.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:09 AM
Scott ku.rtis

So I had my eye on a few cards to understand the market, but not to buy. The last 30 seconds of this auction were insane:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/401148338576?_mwBanner=1

Is this "normal" for high grade cards or was this a one-off where two guys really wanted it?
Old 07-15-2016, 08:11 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Pretty normal pattern. Two or three folks battling it out at the end. Many of these high end cards double in bid in last minute. Most people figure why bother a constant battle for days, just slug it out in the 15th round. Rope a dope before that.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:59 AM
Aaron E.
Aa.ron Eps.tein

Probstein has a Red Cobb just started in PSA 8!! Tells you this is becoming the preferred way for high end!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2016, 03:37 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
They do seem to be very loyal bidders.
And the price is the price! Not 19.5% more.

Frankly, it's refreshing.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:33 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default buyer not seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
And the price is the price! Not 19.5% more.

Frankly, it's refreshing.

Price is the price for buyers...not for the seller who consigned.....selling price is going to be lower than whatever someone pays for it one ebay

however price is the price usually for sellers at other auctions houses with the auction house taking the extra 19.5 for whatever percent..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 07-15-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:49 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Price is the price for buyers...not for the seller who consigned.....selling price is going to be lower than whatever someone pays for it one ebay

however price is the price usually for sellers at other auctions houses with the auction house taking the extra 19.5 for whatever percent..
??

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 07-15-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:36 PM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
??
Glad I wasnt the only one completely confused by that sentence
Old 07-15-2016, 07:38 PM
K!ya S@bet

Frankly if you've been on this board long enough and you don't heed the warnings in regards to certain sellers than you deserve everything you get.

I am not willing to bid on my own items therefore I would not do as well in PWCC.

Its really baffling to me that people are impressed with their prices.

Watch a movie called "Exit Through The Gift Shop". A fantastic doc that eventually shows how perception and public ignorance are a bad mixture when purchasing vanity items.

Last edited by ksabet; 07-15-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:59 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Price wise I would take their high end items vs. same items selling at nearly all of the major auction houses (+18.5%). Any day of the week. And I don't need to be up to 4 am to win it. Want to talk games, I'll talk what goes on at some of these AHs.

PWCC also has no conceivable way to know what my max bid is. I also like that. A lot. That's fraud protection of the highest order.

I really hope PWCC's rapid ascendancy is causing some of these other guys to reevaluate their business model. Start by closing auctions 15 minutes after no one bids - on that item. Show some respect for your customers.
Maybe I'm peeing in the wind. All I know is that Brent & Co. are currently getting about 75% of my card budget.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-15-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:12 PM
Jeremy K

Quote:
Frankly if you've been on this board long enough and you don't heed the warnings in regards to certain sellers than you deserve everything you get.

I am not willing to bid on my own items therefore I would not do as well in PWCC.

Its really baffling to me that people are impressed with their prices.

Watch a movie called "Exit Through The Gift Shop". A fantastic doc that eventually shows how perception and public ignorance are a bad mixture when purchasing vanity items.
I just had two items end last night which I consigned to PWCC. One was low dollar and brought and half of what I'd been hoping for. The other was a higher end complete set which brought nearly $2,000 more than I had expected. I am extremely impressed with that price and now firmly believe that Brent and Co have a dedicated following that are willing to ante up and pay for a comfort level and professionalism that can not otherwise be found on ebay.

Do people shill their material? Undoubtedly. Does it occur as frequently as it is made out to? I doubt that. I didn't do it.

Quality material sells itself. Those who want it are discerning by nature and I am not at all surprised they would choose to work with one ebay seller over others whom remain essentially anonymous. I would wager that even the most prominent board members here would be unknown to a significant number of world class collectors who never stumble upon this forum. It is far more likely that they find PWCC on ebay than net54baseball.com. No knock on net54, just pointing out how much bigger the pool of buyers is than any of us could grasp.

Last edited by balltrash; 07-15-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:52 PM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:

PWCC also has no conceivable way to know what my max bid is. I also like that. A lot. That's fraud protection of the highest order.
Wow the problem is worse than I thought. . Smh
Old 07-15-2016, 08:58 PM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by balltrash View Post
I just had two items end last night which I consigned to PWCC. One was low dollar and brought and half of what I'd been hoping for. The other was a higher end complete set which brought nearly $2,000 more than I had expected. I am extremely impressed with that price and now firmly believe that Brent and Co have a dedicated following that are willing to ante up and pay for a comfort level and professionalism that can not otherwise be found on ebay.

Do people shill their material? Undoubtedly. Does it occur as frequently as it is made out to? I doubt that. I didn't do it.

Quality material sells itself. Those who want it are discerning by nature and I am not at all surprised they would choose to work with one ebay seller over others whom remain essentially anonymous. I would wager that even the most prominent board members here would be unknown to a significant number of world class collectors who never stumble upon this forum. It is far more likely that they find PWCC on ebay than net54baseball.com. No knock on net54, just pointing out how much bigger the pool of buyers is than any of us could grasp.
Glad that worked for you. And good sir it has been proven that yes it is very rampant.

Brent's like a guru he's got you guys hooked. Like the cult of pwcc.

Unfortunately his auctions are creating price points that shouldn't be due to card owners driving up prices on their own cards. I have seen the unnatural jump since his store became popular.

Hey use pwcc all you want, again it's your money. Dont lose sleep over it...we know Mr. Huigens doesn't.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:57 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

I also consigned an item that outsold my expectations, realizing well over the $2000 I was hoping for. I had listed it here on Net54 for $1995 without getting even a sniff of interest. Maybe Brent's ads, client emails, broker reputation, etc. have more to do with those high bids he gets than shill bidding after all. I certainly didn't shill my own item and still wound up with a result that was better than expected.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:40 AM
j.oe b.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
I also consigned an item that outsold my expectations, realizing well over the $2000 I was hoping for. I had listed it here on Net54 for $1995 without getting even a sniff of interest. Maybe Brent's ads, client emails, broker reputation, etc. have more to do with those high bids he gets than shill bidding after all. I certainly didn't shill my own item and still wound up with a result that was better than expected.
Same thing here. I listed 2 different cards on the BST here several months back and only received low ball offers. I sent those 2 cards into PWCC and both cards not only sold for more than I was asking on the BST, but I cleared more than I was asking even after the PWCC fees came out. I did not bid on my lots, I didn't have any friends or family members or acquaintances bid on my lots. I also never even advertised my cards were listed with PWCC like some others do. Only complaint I really had is how long it took to get paid.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:49 AM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb View Post
Same thing here. I listed 2 different cards on the BST here several months back and only received low ball offers. I sent those 2 cards into PWCC and both cards not only sold for more than I was asking on the BST, but I cleared more than I was asking even after the PWCC fees came out. I did not bid on my lots, I didn't have any friends or family members or acquaintances bid on my lots. I also never even advertised my cards were listed with PWCC like some others do. Only complaint I really had is how long it took to get paid.
Hey I'm really glad for you guys. I just would take a little less and know that my stuff was being sold by an ethically responsible company.

I'll stick with the few auctions I trust.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:29 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Ok, if you don't want to do business with these guys fine. No need to disparage people who do as mindless idiots. There are some really nice AHs (love of the game and mile high quickly come to mind) and others that I wouldn't trust as far as I can throw them. I did a quick sample last night for sh*ts and giggles of recent high end Ruth Goudey sales and its abundantly clear that PWCC's prices are no higher and in many many cases lower that the leading AHs. The pages of hyperbole these guys crank out clearly work. If you want to think otherwise that's your prerogative.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:48 AM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Ok, if you don't want to do business with these guys fine. No need to disparage people who do as mindless idiots. There are some really nice AHs (love of the game and mile high quickly come to mind) and others that I wouldn't trust as far as I can throw them. I did a quick sample last night for sh*ts and giggles of recent high end Ruth Goudey sales and its abundantly clear that PWCC's prices are no higher and in many many cases lower that the leading AHs. The pages of hyperbole these guys crank out clearly work. If you want to think otherwise that's your prerogative.
I really didn't mean to disparage anyone.

These are the joys of a free market.

Compared to the prices we will run into at the national, PWCC might be a bargain.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:04 AM
Ne@l K

I have won a few cards from PWCC - smooth and easy, and paid what I wanted. Now I am not sure if multitudes of consignors bid on their own stuff, and I really do not care - so be it if it happens. I am sure that they are more than willing to ante up whatever fee is involved, so that is their business/gamble and not mine. I will only pay what I am willing to pay.

I will continue to bid on his auctions, as he consistently brings choice material to the market every single. That works for all of us.

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 07-16-2016, 10:38 AM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
Price wise I would take their high end items vs. same items selling at nearly all of the major auction houses (+18.5%). Any day of the week. And I don't need to be up to 4 am to win it. Want to talk games, I'll talk what goes on at some of these AHs.

I really hope PWCC's rapid ascendancy is causing some of these other guys to reevaluate their business model. Start by closing auctions 15 minutes after no one bids - on that item. Show some respect for your customers.
Maybe I'm peeing in the wind. All I know is that Brent & Co. are currently getting about 75% of my card budget.
++Exactly. I guess if you want to donate your time to AH's, you can go that route. IMO, it's just plain rude to expect me to watch your auction all night. This is a hobby, not a full time job for me.

Not being able to snipe at the AH is the nail in the coffin for me. I also have a high percentage of bids at PWCC, but as I've said in the past, that statistic has no relevance to me for determining shilling.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:53 AM

Default Jeez...

As long as reputable seller, you stick to your highest price you can comfortably afford, and within your value range, then I don't see why you care if its through PWCC, another traditional auction house, or other lesser auction. Your highest bid you are willing to pay is your highest bid you are willing to pay. Do not pay more just because its PWCC - have some self restraint. Let other people pay crazy high prices - be ok with that - because it could mean your stuff you do own is now worth more than it used to be.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:41 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

As a bit of a side bar, just received my first batch in the mail of PWCC cards won and as usual the speed of the shipment and quality of packing is outstanding. I know payment by Pay Pal expedites the whole AH process but, given the huge volume of cards they deal with, their shipping department seems to be a model of efficiency.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:54 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
As a bit of a side bar, just received my first batch in the mail of PWCC cards won and as usual the speed of the shipment and quality of packing is outstanding. I know payment by Pay Pal expedites the whole AH process but, given the huge volume of cards they deal with, their shipping department seems to be a model of efficiency.
I ship cards quickly too. That's easy to do on Ebay. Here here for the small seller!
Old 07-16-2016, 04:10 PM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
On a side note...do you work for PWCC?

Ive never seen someone start so many laudatory posts on one central subject.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:31 PM
James
James Kin.chen

Quote:
On a side note...do you work for PWCC?

Ive never seen someone start so many laudatory posts on one central subject.

On a side note...do you work for an auction house.

I've never seen someone start so many derogatory posts one one central subject.

James
Old 07-17-2016, 07:08 AM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkheat View Post
On a side note...do you work for an auction house.

I've never seen someone start so many derogatory posts one one central subject.

James
Funny considering this is the first time I have commented on PWCC.

But Mr. SPencer has started FOUR threads stroking PWCC
Old 07-17-2016, 08:17 AM

Default Invoking the "Nine-Page-Rule"...

....from section four of the bylaws :..yada yada yada " and therefore no thread shall exceed nine pages in length without therein being posted a minimum of one (1) pre-war baseball card " yada yada yada

..Hey , I don't make the rules..

Old 07-17-2016, 11:23 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
....from section four of the bylaws :..yada yada yada " and therefore no thread shall exceed nine pages in length without therein being posted a minimum of one (1) pre-war baseball card " yada yada yada

..Hey , I don't make the rules..

Damn, that card is sweet. Worth the nine page read for sure.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:30 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Funny considering this is the first time I have commented on PWCC.

But Mr. SPencer has started FOUR threads stroking PWCC
Very true, but I am not a shill media praise-giver. I have no interest in PWCC as a company or its owners, but only that they offer a nice alternative to the more traditional AH's what with no vig, easy payment options, and quick efficient shipping. Sadly, they cannot control Ebay actions, as I found out to my disgust last night when I lost a card due to no fault of PWCC. Brent even sent me a private email last night saying that next time use snipe bidding to avoid any similar episodes. I thought that was pretty classy.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:01 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

My auction closed 7/14 at 9:41pm. Paid by Paypal.

Card was at post office next afternoon 7/15 officially in transit.

You guys who want to stay up till 3 am and then have an AH hold your check for a week and then ship 9 days later crack me up. Maybe you just like to drag the process out and make it painful.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:50 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:

You guys who want to stay up till 3 am and then have an AH hold your check for a week and then ship 9 days later crack me up. Maybe you just like to drag the process out and make it painful.
Why must everything be so polarizing? On this thread, I've read that I'm stupid for buying from PWCC and now I'm a masochist for buying from an AH. I happily buy from both. Sure, I wish that some AHs shipped faster and accepted PP, but I'm not going to let the need for a little patience prevent me from going after a card I desire.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:53 AM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Why must everything be so polarizing? On this thread, I've read that I'm stupid for buying from PWCC and now I'm a masochist for buying from an AH. I happily buy from both. Sure, I wish that some AHs shipped faster and accepted PP, but I'm not going to let the need for a little patience prevent me from going after a card I desire.
+1, lots of great options out there !
Old 07-19-2016, 12:05 PM
pete ullman

man i was so close on that psa 9 rose last night. now i'm wishing i'd have bid just one notch higher!!!!
Old 07-19-2016, 12:43 PM
Daryl

Quote:

You must have never bought a scarce or rare baseball card before.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:44 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Good point Sam. I wasn't trying to be polarizing but indeed may have contributed to that. There are some auction houses I like a great deal. My only point in feeding this thread is that I think there are business practices among the large AHs (particularly closing auctions at 4:30am and taking two weeks to get your stuff to the PO) that show a real lack of respect for their customers. I understand they have business reasons for doing it. And maybe its a "good business model" despite the lack of consideration these practices exhibit. But I'm done with that nonsense. As Damon Wayans used to say on Living Color, Homey don't play that anymore. PWCC's pared down business model (no glossy catalogs, take Paypal, shipping quickly, etc., etc.) has to be forcing these guys to reassess or they are foolish. We buyers only have so much money to spend.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-19-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:55 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Totally agree with you, Steve, that there are practices that don't seem to be as consumer friendly. Personally, I've felt that the AH crowd is a bit saturated, and my hope is that the competition will force changes to offer a better product (thereby eliminating that ones that don't adapt.) But even though I think that, it feels like every week there's another thick catalog in my mailbox full of exciting material, so who knows if that will every happen?
Old 07-19-2016, 03:21 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
You must have never bought a scarce or rare baseball card before.
LOL. Yeah, first time.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:25 PM
Daryl

Default PWCC Auction Yet Again

Quote:
LOL. Yeah, first time.

When a truly scarce or rare card on my wantlist comes up for public sale for the first time in many years (if ever), I don't care whether it's in REA, Heritage, LOTG, B-L (err, I mean B), eBay, or Billy-Bob's: I'm a bidder. To do otherwise would be cutting off my nose to spite my face.

Last edited by 4815162342; 07-19-2016 at 04:26 PM.