NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Default Question on lighting/fading cards and autos

Hi. I noticed some conversation on this issue on another thread. Instead of hijacking that thread I thought I would begin a new one.

What is the deal with lighting and fading cards and auto? In my "room" I have all my cards displayed in screw cases but have florescent tubes lighting the room. What would be a better alternative?
Thanks in advance!

p.s. my room can be seen in my pics
Old 01-07-2012, 11:39 AM

I am no expert on this. I have a Yankees team ball with Mantle and Stengel on the sweet spot. I forget, but by the players, I think it is 1954. It looks like one of those printed balls-if they did that back then. Anyway, after about 20 years in my basement display under incandescent bulbs, Mantle and Stengel are fading away. Flip the ball 180 degrees and the siggies look like they were done yesterday.But where was the ball before I discovered it? Under what conditions? But I think I did the most damage. I found this ball in a town dump(long story). I am not an auto collector. I collect pre-WW2 baseball and old baseball photos of "town teams". So-here's what scares me(and thanks for the post)How do I display 1907 original photo and feel safe about it?
Old 01-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

All light regardless of source damages art and antiques. The question is how to mitigate if you want to display items. Standard practice in museums is to avoid direct light of any kind and to put items on display for short periods. Paper is especially vulnerable to light damage.

As for fluorescents, museums don't use them because they throw off comparatively high levels of UV rays that can damage artwork. If you have SGC slabs in exposure to fluorescents on an ongoing basis, check the flips on cards that are in fluorescent lighting--the flips will turn brown from exposure to fluorescents. Even if the cards still look good, the flips will be the canaries in the coal mine.

As for damage, a day in direct sun can brown paper and fade colors. I have seen cards displayed in collections using direct fluorescent lighting systems where the card colors are significantly degraded. Cards that I've noticed taking an especially bad hammering relatively quickly are 1930s Goudey and 1950s Topps issues.

Assuming you aren't hanging your items in direct sunlight, the easiest way to mitigate light damage is to frame your stuff behind UV-resistant glass or plexiglass and to never shine a fluorescent or other direct spotlight on your items.

I run color copies of my items for displays and put the originals away. Total peace of mind...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-07-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:48 PM

Three things you can do:

1) Holders that protect against UV rays. Many probably do these days

2) Incandescent lights are better than fluorescent. Give off less UV.

3) Overall limit light exposure in whatever ways. For example, if you're going to be gone for 12 hours, don't leave the lights on, shades open. That would be useless light light because no one will even be there. Don't put the autograph in direct window sunlight when it could be as nicely displayed in in a windowless hallway.

I think some damage to baseballs, signatures whatever isn't caused by light. It can either happen naturally, via head humidity etc. I'm sure you'll hear about someone who kept a ball in a box in a dark closet for 10 years and the signature ink changed color and the ball toned. Remember, baseballs are made out of cow skin-- which doesn't sound as if it would be the most eternally stable material.

Last edited by drc; 01-07-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

All of my cards are in screwdowns displayed in custom made wooden cases. They are in a room with no windows and normally totally dark.
However, the lighting in the room is fluorecent tubes.
Is there any real danger as the light on on less than 1 hour per day?
Are there alternative bulbs etc?
Thanks

Last edited by campyfan39; 01-07-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:00 PM

The situation you describe sounds fine to me, even if you stick with fluorescent. With the amount of light you describe, fluorescent isn't a big concern and I wouldn't worry about it. One hour a day of light is close to nothing.

I'm most concerned with people who keep things in an office with bright lights 14 hours a day, or have them displayed in a brightly sunlight room-- the stuff sitting in direct sunlight for 8 hours ever day. And, even then, if they used UV protectant glass or holders, that would still prevent a lot of the damage. Like wearing sunscreen before going out into the Arizona sun.

Cards are a LOT more stable than autographs and photographs. Lithographs (as in Topps, T206s, Goudeys) can fade with lots of exposure, but should stay fine under normal conditions.

Last edited by drc; 01-07-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Frank Wakefield

Google "uv fluorescent tube guards", or some permutation of that... there are tubes of film that will cover a normal fluorescent tube, the tube filters the uv light out.

Use special uv bulbs, or uv tubes / guards, or put the items behind uv protective glass... and minimize the light.

The light just wears out cards, photos, and autographs...