NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-16-2019, 03:53 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Funny that vintage collectors will rip on manufactured scarcity but have no problem with a Lajoie #106.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:20 PM
je.sse @rnot

There is a Brady card in the same auction over 150k already. The holy grail of modern football cards apparently.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F401708753101
Old 02-16-2019, 06:19 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
Funny that vintage collectors will rip on manufactured scarcity but have no problem with a Lajoie #106.
that's a terrible analogy!
Old 02-16-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
that's a terrible analogy!
Why?
Old 02-16-2019, 07:59 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
Why?
the 34' goudey lajoie was created by goudey in response to an outpouring of letters from people trying to complete the set but there was no card #106. So those who wrote letters got cards.

How's that anything like a modern card company just deciding to only make a certain # of a background color...to "create" a rare card?
Old 02-16-2019, 09:07 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

There are numerous vintage cards in the hobby that are manufactured scarcities and sell for big dollars: The William McKinley U.S. Caramel card is a $100,000 card . The Leaf Rocky Graziano boxing card is a mid five figures card. The Bert Cobeau card from the 1923 V145-1 hockey set is a mid five-figure card. What would a Maple Crispette Casey Stengel sell for at auction?

I don't get the outrage over manufactured rarities selling for huge money. Manufactured rarities have been a staple of the hobby nearly forever.

Last edited by Bored5000; 02-16-2019 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
the 34' goudey lajoie was created by goudey in response to an outpouring of letters from people trying to complete the set but there was no card #106. So those who wrote letters got cards.

How's that anything like a modern card company just deciding to only make a certain # of a background color...to "create" a rare card?

Goudey Lajoie, George C. Miller Andrews, Butter Cream Ruth, U.S. Caramel Lindstrom, etc. etc. were all manufactured rarity ploys by 1930s manufacturers TO SELL MORE PRODUCT.

Certified autographs, game-used inserts, high numbers, SPs, rip cards, variations, color waves, refractors, parallels are all manufactured rarity ploys by modern manufacturers TO SELL MORE PRODUCT.

There is nothing new under the sun.

Last edited by Orioles1954; 02-16-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:25 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
Goudey Lajoie, George C. Miller Andrews, Butter Cream Ruth, U.S. Caramel Lindstrom, etc. etc. were all manufactured rarity ploys by 1930s manufacturers TO SELL MORE PRODUCT.

Certified autographs, game-used inserts, high numbers, SPs, rip cards, variations, color waves, refractors, parallels are all manufactured rarity ploys by modern manufacturers TO SELL MORE PRODUCT.

There is nothing new under the sun.
I suppose its similar but different to me. Short printing a card to avoid too many contest winners plus the fact that in some cases the winners cards were not returned = rarity.

Upper deck making a few cards with a different color background to create a rarity is not the same.

Ill agree to disagree with you.

Last edited by ullmandds; 02-16-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:30 AM
Rhett Yeakley

I collect some modern cards with my son and we enjoy opening packs and it is a lot of fun. The modern hobby actually spends a lot of time and effort to include players from yesteryear in their products, which I actually like and think is overall pretty good for the health of the hobby. Because of this my son has become a big Ken Griffey Jr fan just as I was when I was younger.

The modern hobby is a fun one but it is VERY expensive. Most boxes worth bothering with run $80-120 to start and most of the time the cards you get would not recoup even a small portion of that money. You end up with about 80-100 base cards, 10-15 insert cards that rarely sell for more than a few bucks, and maybe a minor hit or two (jersey cards & sticker-on-card autos are NOT popular as the thing now is limited parallel numbered versions of autographed cards... but only of the handful of super collected players). For example I purchased my son a box of 2018 Gypsy Queen at the National (probably my favorite of the modern retro-style sets up until they stopped doing the mini parallels) and we opened the packs when I got home and he was super excited when he got a pretty limited Ozzie Albies RC #ed to 50 B&W image w/Certified Autograph. Pretty exciting... until we went on ebay to see what they were "going for" and saw that even with a pretty decent hit in our box we barely would pay for the box with that card. Again, we had fun and that is why we did it but it illustrates the point to a degree.

I think this last point is my admittedly-personal problem with the modern hobby... way too much semi-worthless stuff and only a few "real" hits to be had in any given product, IF there even are hits in an entire product line. It feels more like going to the local gas station and buying some scratch-off lottery tickets.

An example of this was the last H&S Auction Lot #1198...
https://hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/...l?itemid=34308
I can only imagine the amount of money spent to get that many "hits" and the VAST majority of items in modern products, even the hits are problematic to sell or try to get anything out of.

I am not dogging on modern, I enjoy opening packs with my son and will continue to do so as we are both baseball fans BUT it is easy to see why some get sick of getting burned on so many modern products chasing the impossible cards that actually sell for the crazy prices we see at auction.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 02-17-2019, 05:54 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
I suppose its similar but different to me. Short printing a card to avoid too many contest winners plus the fact that in some cases the winners cards were not returned = rarity.

Upper deck making a few cards with a different color background to create a rarity is not the same.

Ill agree to disagree with you.
Well one difference is the modern manufacturer is creating scarcity to create a speculative secondary market in its product and to create the illusion it's a financially valuable commodity. Neither of which were the goals of the President of the Goudey card company. The old scarcities are rare today because they are scarce, not because someone set out to make them desirable on Ebay.