NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-10-2010, 06:50 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

CGC was experimenting with a similar endeavor for vintage photos a few years ago, with a softer holder similar to a thick Card Saver but sonically sealed. They did a big experimental job for Jay Parrino's The Mint then dropped it. I contacted them to try and get some of my stuff encapsulated and was told that they'd decided against the service. Too bad, since it was nice to have the photos in a thinner holder instead of a monster slab.

Regardless of the photo typing thing it does seem like a needed service and a rather nice way to display and protect autographed photos. I might just send them some of mine. What is the cost?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-10-2010 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:05 AM
P@u1 R31fer$0n

Default Say It Ain't So: Slabbing Photos

Am I alone in thinking that slabbing photographs is an awful idea? I pray no one ever 'slabs' an Ansel Adams or a Walker Evans print; and I pray no one slabs a Horner or a Conlon. There is a good reason this has never caught on in the vintage photography market: it is not a good way to store prints, and it inhibits subsequent examination and appreciation (does your framer frame the slab?).

There are fantastic archival materials available to store prints (try Talasonline.com) and people with far more expertise at very reasonable prices who can answer questions about your print if you have reason to be concerned.

A slabbed photo will always be worth less to me--I have to pay someone to take it out of the slab.

Apologies to anyone in the thread who has an economic interest in PSA.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Steve Birmingham

I'm very much on the fence about slabbing photos as well. I've gotten used to it for cards, but still feel that too many of the cards get slabbed.

I also have some concerns about the slabbing from an archival perspective. Preserving photos is somewhat complex, and I'm not sure the slab is the way to go. And for some cards, I think it may actually be damaging in the long run. It looks like the holder in in contact with the photo surface, something I usually try to avoid with any better photos I've got.

Steve B
Old 06-10-2010, 11:22 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I'm completely against it as well. I collect these things for their aesthetic beauty and interesting subject matter. To me, a well composed photo and a PSA Bar Code will clash, and in no way compliment each other.

I fully understand the opposing stance of those who like it and feel it's necessary to the hobby. I am just not one of them. Neither side is "right or wrong"... it's simply a personal preference.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Scott

Too bad that these companies couldnt send you a letter of authentication w a picture of the front/back of your own photo on it, designating type and all. You could then just keep the letter w it, or if framed, it could be inside the frame or something.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Barry Sloate

I'm also from the school that says too many things are being slabbed. I think soon everything wil be slabbed. Is that a good look for the hobby?
Old 06-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Count me in as one who hates to see things slabbed. Now, that may be because my collection is like a black hole...nothing ever leaves so I'm not worried about the resale value, but also I just don't like the look.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I'm also from the school that says too many things are being slabbed. I think soon everything wil be slabbed. Is that a good look for the hobby?
+1
Old 06-10-2010, 03:35 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
Too bad that these companies couldnt send you a letter of authentication w a picture of the front/back of your own photo on it, designating type and all. You could then just keep the letter w it, or if framed, it could be inside the frame or something.
Scott...

PSA does this. Here's their letter for an item I just won in Mile High... Type 1 photo of Hank Aaron's 3,000th Hit (I was at this game as a kid in Crosley Field.... yay!)

Not sure, however, if they photograph the backs of the photos for their COAs (if not, they should!) To your point, I much prefer this avenue to the potential slabbing of the beatiful photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaron.jpg (29.8 KB, 302 views)
Old 06-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Hank Thomas

Default Ugh!

Sorry, Jimmy, I have to disagree. This will benefit the whales of photography collecting and PSA, and cost everybody else a lot of money, in my humble opinion. As a longtime collector and dealer of vintage photography, I just don't see the need for this service. Unlike cards and autographs, there's never been an issue of forgery that I'm aware of, and trimming is not a problem. And keeping a collection in binders of PVC-free sheets is perfect for both storage and viewing. In your capacities as collector and dealer, how many times have you needed someone else to tell you anything you don't already know about the photos you handle? With only a tiny % of photos I've dealt with has there been some question as to the type or vintage, and I don't think the "authenticators" at PSA will do any better than you and I, and maybe worse. As far as grading is concerned, all you need is your eyes. The market has always "graded" photos by the price, now the grade will drive the price instead. Card and autograph grading, although correcting some abuses, turned collecting from fun to an anal-compulsive contest. Now grading will do the same to photos and everything else it touches. Yuck.
Hank Thomas
Old 06-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Jimmy

Default PSA set to encapsulate "TYPE" Photographs & Signed photos as well

I will most likley give this try at some point, always like new ideas in the hobby

Jimmy
Old 06-15-2010, 06:41 AM
Bill

Hi gang, I am very new to the forum and also new to vintage collecting. Can someone please tell me what a "type" photo is and also what the difference between a "type 1" and a "type 2" is? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-15-2010, 08:12 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Well Jimmy, I shouldn't have said nothing ever leaves...for the most part, that is correct though. However, with all the opportunities to trade and sell on this board to upgrade important parts of my collection, I have found that my philosophy on that is slowly changing. It's obvious from your remarks that you
are heavily in favor of slabbing and it's no secret that you have a large collection of Type1's, so whether for collecting or investments, that would obviously work well for you. With that said, if you think that slabbing for authenticity is where it will stop, I think you're wrong. But no matter, if everyone wants to try and get all gem mint 10 type 1 photos just because some organization, that probably has less experience than you says so, well than go for it. I'll just take my little pat on the head and go collect raw photos like a good little boy.

Last edited by mr2686; 06-15-2010 at 08:15 AM. Reason: update
Old 06-15-2010, 08:46 AM
P@u1 R31fer$0n

Default Reply to Bill

To answer your question: there is no such thing as a Type I or Type II photo. You can spend an entire lifetime working in the photography department at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, MOMA or the Getty and never once hear those words uttered.

All you need to know is whether a photograph is 'vintage,' which is to say that it was printed around the time the negative was produced. There is no specific time limit--it could be within 1, 5 or 10 years of the negative. There is usually no way to date a print so precisely; materials just did not change that quickly. The point is that the print should have been made close enough in time to have been printed with the same materials and artistic intention as a print done contemporaneously.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:25 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I personally find it frustrating when the so called "Graders" know less than the collector who submits the item. I won't get into that here, but suffice it to say that it will be best if PSA simply authenticates the photos without trying to grade them (as they are currently promising).

I really feel disillusioned, seeing cards with a minute speck of paper loss that graded a 2 or 3 (when everything else it perfect). The whole grading process is preposterously subjective.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and this saying applies to vintage photos more so than any category I can imagine. I do see a need for the service (for those who cannot determine authenticity themselves) but I won't personally utilize it. People collect for different reasons, and there is no right or wrong. Those who don't like it should simply not use it.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:18 PM

I'm the photo advisor to Beckett and I don't use the terms Type I etc. If someone at Beckett says Type II, I sometimes have to look up what it means as I've forgotten.

Type I, Type II etc is was a system I think devised by PSA to label photos. All one really has to know is type I means original.

I would like note what I do at Beckett. I don't physically handle or assign labels to photos, just occasionally answer questions about tough photos. Beckett is in Dallas and I'm in Seattle. I did originally meet the folks at Beckett in person before they started.

I always am happy give advice via email to collectors, and often do about photos. Don't worry I'm not a marketer and don't make commission. In fact, the head of grading at Beckett said one specific reason they asked me to be adviser is I was known in the hobby who was impartial, judging things on the facts and not having alterior motives. To prove this, I will state I've seen PSA authenticated photos and I thought the LOA's description were accurate, I think the Mastro Guide is good and I've already stated I'm not a fan of grading photos (authenticating is fine). I've never owned, bought or sold an entombed photo and have owned perhaps 8 professionally graded cards in my entire life. I've advised REA on photographs, but have never won or consigned anything to their auctions. I did bid once, but was probably outbid by the next day! REA's stuff is too expensive!

There are a number of other folks on this sitie who are knowledgeable about photos and can offer sage advice on that wirephoto or tintype.

David : webiste

Last edited by drc; 06-15-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-20-2021, 04:35 PM
John

Default Beckett Grading

What is wrong? I contacted Beckett for... Beckett Grading Services for their original photograph authentication and grading service.
This is the e-mail I receive:
Hi John,
Thank you for reaching out to Beckett!
Would like to advise you that we only authenticate Autographs on any Item, but do not grade the Item itself. For Non Autographed photos, would suggest you to connect with your local dealer or auction houses, thanks!
I will leave out the person who replied.

This was my reply:
Ok, We must have a misunderstanding. What I am interested in is your grading service for original photograph. I read that your company has launched an original photograph authentication and grading service.

There reply:
I apologize but that is not true, we have not launched photograph grading or authentication.
Let us know for any more questions, thanks!

So I answered showing where I got my info:
Beckett Grading Services has launched an original photograph authentication and grading service. From news photos, wire photos and movie stills to snapshots, Polaroids and mounted photos from the 1800s, BGS will grade them all. It also will provide a choice between authentication and encapsulation only or slabbing with with a numerical grade. Both services provide the best preservation and presentation capabilities on the market.

BGS will team with noted photograph expert and art historian David Rudd (www.cycleback.com).

For more information, call (972)-448-9188 or visit www.beckett.com/photos

https://www.beckett.com/news/beckett...intage-photos/

Waiting on the answer: Can anyone tell what is going on?