NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-27-2002, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Default GAI Grading lots of vintage cards

Posted By: Brian Weisner

I've noticied alot of GAI graded vintage cards on Teletrade lately, especially T206's. Has anyone on the board used GAI? I've received alot of offers for the grading services, but have yet to turn away from PSA&SGC. LMK BRIAN

Old 06-27-2002, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

Brian-

I can't help you there, either. I also stick with the ones I trust. I only go with SGC, MINT, and PSA. With all the PRO stuff out there, etc, I don't trust any others.

-dan

Old 06-27-2002, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Yeah Dan
The Pro stuff has been driving me a crazy for a couple of years now, their alot worse than NASA OR AAA people atleast they admit the items have been trimmed out of Magazines. thanks brian

Old 06-27-2002, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: vorthian

<< I've noticied alot of GAI graded vintage cards on Teletrade lately, especially T206's. >>

At the recent Sportsfest show, I noticed more and more GAI graded cards. Speaking to several dealers, they say that PSA is tougher - many more cards come back as strong 7's when they used to be 8's. This, in turn, is pissing the dealers off and they end up going to GAI.

Consistency is an amazing thing, that is why all my show submissions went to SGC.

Old 06-27-2002, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brueso

...is not put together in the back room of some dealer's shop like AAA looks like it might be?

Old 06-27-2002, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

". . .put together in the back room of some dealer's shop like AAA looks like it might be?"

MIGHT BE! MIGHT BE?

You mean there is some doubt?

AAA and NASA have to stop "grading" for the day when they run out of Avery labels or their bubble jet "label maker" runs out of ink.

Might be, that's funny. Thank you I needed the laugh.

Old 06-27-2002, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: marty

I have my first order in at Global. The web site says that it should ship this week. They are cards from the 50's. I sent my top teir to PSA and was hammered. The boys from Global say that anyone can be a harsh grader, they want to be consistant and realistic. The dealers that I talked to, some do not like to support PSA, but Global is not where the money is at this time. The bigger cards are going to Global, and the lesser, commons are going to PSA. The Set Regestry is keeping a high demand for high grade commons. Global is harder to sell mail order, but is not a problem at a show. This was explained as name recognition, not the grading standards. One thing that I really like about Global is that they will buy back all of the tags from any of their cards that are broken out. They want their pop report to be true. They will also send back the tags for all cards that they do cross over grading for.

Old 06-28-2002, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: uniship

Dan, you wrote: "I can't help you there, either. I also stick with the ones I trust. I only go with SGC, MINT, and PSA. With all the PRO stuff out there, etc, I don't trust any others."

With all due respect, were you kidding about MINT? How can you compare them to PSA or SGC? Can you elaborate on your experiences with them, because I rarely see them. Thanks!

Old 06-28-2002, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott (runscott)

I just finished auctioning about 60 SGC-graded HOF'ers on ebay and I didn't do nearly as well as I had hoped - some of that might have been poor marketing/scans on my part, but I still think a lot of bidders see a beautiful EX SGC-graded card and aren't willing to go over EX book value, even though they will pay top dollar for ungraded HOF'ers that are described by the seller as EX+, but would in fact be only VGEX if in an SGC holder <=== long sentence, indicating great deal of education, but no money.

Old 06-28-2002, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott (runscott)

...if I send cards in for grading it will still be SGC. I am happy with recent purchases of SCD and BVG cards also. The SCDs seem to be a great value and the holders look great. I only have one BVG (t206 Cobb) and the grade seems reasonable. The holder is kind of weird, but I like it.

I have never had a GAI card...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Old 06-28-2002, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: 2seamer

I recently purchased 3 of the same card....one GAI 7, one PSA 8, and the other an SCD 6.5. The GAI was an overgrade for one of the corners was creased (indention). The PSA 8 has obvious evidence of trimming at the top, and the SCD was really an accurate grade. Acctually the SCD 6.5 looks better than the GAI 7. In the future I would definitley go SCD over GAI. Actually I would not buy GAI again unless it is under extreme circumstances.

Old 06-28-2002, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Maybe the market is a little soft on T206 HOF, ex cards? Just a thought.......bestest regards