NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-24-2017, 03:12 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Very odd as someone contacted me about not paying on a pwcc auction, do to questionable results. He said the blocked him immediately!

Right. Only those on the inside get that right. Not paying and not being blocked is apparently a privilege you get if you spend almost 60K in 3 months. This person simply needs to spend more money with PWCC.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Interesting auction on there now. With 3 days to go, a Mayweather PSA 10 is over 1900 and has been for at least a couple of days. Another 10 just sold last night for 911. I don't get it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-24-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:17 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Interesting auction on there now. With 3 days to go, a Mayweather PSA 10 is over 1900 and has been for at least a couple of days. Another 10 just sold last night for 911. I don't get it.
I am pretty sure you get it Peter. We all get it, the problem is most just don't care.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:49 PM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

At least those two only combine for 6 bid retractions so it's good.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:22 AM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Are there any class action lawyers on the page?
I've been as vocal as anyone about these pricks with multiple retractions. Where I differ is where the blame lies.

Why not start with E-bay and demand that their completed sales reflect non-payments. This could be as simple as recording the sale after the item has been paid for and shipped, vs recording the sale at the end of the auction. This would take the sting out of the shillers and manipulators. For some of us, the real issue is the non-payment by the shiller.

Second, take this same approach to the AH's. Ask that they post when a winning lot has a non-payment (good luck). This would actually benefit them, as the shillers would have to pay the juice.

Asking PWCC to stand guard over this while the AH's hide in the weeds makes no sense. All we hear is crickets from the AH's, while PWCC is at least addressing the issue.

Last edited by Beastmode; 08-25-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:34 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmode View Post
I've been as vocal as anyone about these pricks with multiple retractions. Where I differ is where the blame lies.

Why not start with E-bay and demand that their completed sales reflect non-payments. This could be as simple as recording the sale after the item has been paid for and shipped, vs recording the sale at the end of the auction. This would take the sting out of the shillers and manipulators. For some of us, the real issue is the non-payment by the shiller.

Second, take this same approach to the AH's. Ask that they post when a winning lot has a non-payment (good luck). This would actually benefit them, as the shillers would have to pay the juice.

Asking PWCC to stand guard over this while the AH's hide in the weeds makes no sense. All we hear is crickets from the AH's, while PWCC is at least addressing the issue.
I would like to see all PWCC hammers be removed from VCP .... not sure if that is possible/ethical however.

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 08-25-2017, 04:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
I would like to see all PWCC hammers be removed from VCP .... not sure if that is possible/ethical however.
If you are so inclined, it's pretty easy just to discount them, so not sure I really see the issue. Like gymnastics, throw out the high score.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:15 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
If you are so inclined, it's pretty easy just to discount them, so not sure I really see the issue. Like gymnastics, throw out the high score.
easy for a buyer, but not for the seller

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 08-25-2017, 06:46 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:

John- Good luck with this, you're pissing in a fan. Ebay doesn't give a shit, period. This topic has been going on for 7 or 8 years, maybe longer...And how is PWCC addressing the issue exactly? This seems simple to me, two offenses and you're warned, the third you're out of here....Is that difficult?

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 08-25-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:27 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
John- Good luck with this, you're pissing in a fan. Ebay doesn't give a shit, period. This topic has been going on for 7 or 8 years, maybe longer...And how is PWCC addressing the issue exactly? This seems simple to me, two offenses and you're warned, the third you're out of here....Is that difficult?
Kevin is right; Ebay doesn't give a crap.

http://live.autographmagazine.com/pr...-shill-bidding
Old 08-25-2017, 09:53 PM
Jeff Lowe

Default Addressing this issue ...

Will never happen , just wait for the indictments .
Old 08-25-2017, 10:09 PM
E®© Eńlø

Location: Home of the 11-Time World Champion St. Louis Cardinals

[QUOTE=thetruthisoutthere;1694803]Kevin is right; Ebay doesn't give a crap.

Everyone knows eBay doesn't give a crap about anything but $$$$, ever hear of BATTLEFIELD0516???
Old 08-26-2017, 07:26 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

eBay does give a crap.

Here is where they don't give a crap. On more than one occasion I've had non payers. I can't leave them negative feedback but I can give them a strike (does nothing).

Here is where they do give a crap. Since leaving a strike does nothing, I leave them positive feedback in caps saying that the buyer is a Non Payer. I have received 2 warnings from eBay saying that I can't say anything negative in my feedback about the Buyer. They told me it was against their policies and they then removed the comment.

See, I told you that eBay gives a crap.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 08-26-2017, 08:07 AM
Banned

even though ebay has tried to reinvent itself as being like amazon (discouraging auctions and encouraging straight sales and seller stores), ebay falls incredibly short when it comes to customer service. the other day i had an issue with not receiving merchandise from an amazon seller and opened a claim online. within 2 hours amazon responded saying my money was being refunded. this isn't the first time amazon has responded quickly to a problem. ebay seems to want to be amazon without doing a large part of the heavy lifting.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:01 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
eBay does give a crap.

Here is where they don't give a crap. On more than one occasion I've had non payers. I can't leave them negative feedback but I can give them a strike (does nothing).

Here is where they do give a crap. Since leaving a strike does nothing, I leave them positive feedback in caps saying that the buyer is a Non Payer. I have received 2 warnings from eBay saying that I can't say anything negative in my feedback about the Buyer. They told me it was against their policies and they then removed the comment.

See, I told you that eBay gives a crap.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:23 PM
Jeff Lowe

Default I know it's a pain in the butt to think about ...

I understand your frustration . It frustrates me too .

" The wheels of justice grind slowly , but finely "
Old 08-27-2017, 09:12 AM
Tony. Biviano

I tried complaining to ebay but I couldn't understand a word they were saying.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I am told by a very reliable, inside source that ebay is working diligently on the bid retraction issue on the whole ebay platform. I think we will see something in the next several months. Ebay takes it's time but they know it's a problem. They are working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammb View Post
I tried complaining to ebay but I couldn't understand a word they were saying.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:28 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

I am not trying to defend PWCC here. There were times I reported shill bidding to them and they felt that the bids were legit (lol), but these guys are selling like 700 trillion cards every year - how are they supposed to do everything manually? Block him, cancel his bids, block another guy, etc. That would be a crazy amount of work for them. Here is the solution: eBay needs to change their software! In other words, you cannot bid more than three times in any auction.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I am told by a very reliable, inside source that ebay is working diligently on the bid retraction issue on the whole ebay platform. I think we will see something in the next several months. Ebay takes it's time but they know it's a problem. They are working on it.
What's there to work on? Why is it taking years, we have been hearing about this forever. Institute a progressive suspension program based on too many retractions. Don't allow a retraction at all until the bidder substitutes another number. Case solved.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:56 PM
A.J. Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
I am not trying to defend PWCC here. There were times I reported shill bidding to them and they felt that the bids were legit (lol), but these guys are selling like 700 trillion cards every year - how are they supposed to do everything manually? Block him, cancel his bids, block another guy, etc. That would be a crazy amount of work for them. Here is the solution: eBay needs to change their software! In other words, you cannot bid more than three times in any auction.
It's not the number of bids that's the issue. eBay simply needs to start kicking users off the system that retract more than 1 bid.
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 08-27-2017, 05:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Now over 2700 with hours to go. 3X what one sold for a couple of days ago. WTF.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:38 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
What I want to know as well?

All I ever read/see are lies, but I guess some get fooled by that thinking they'll eventually, when their ready, and feel like it, get around to it, as long as you haven't won any of their auctions and spent X number of dollars, in which case, those rules don't apply to you.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:56 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Now over 2700 with hours to go. 3X what one sold for a couple of days ago. WTF.
I am 100% sure everything in that auction is on the up and up, it would be silly to think something shady is going on. They have a very dedicated group of bidders that would happily pay 3X the price it could be bought for normally. I know I personally do it all the time.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:59 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

He beat Marciano's record last last, I'm sure that's it

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 08-27-2017, 07:03 PM
Ben North

Quote:
That exhibition should not count as a real match. Conor had about as much of a chance winning as a 10 year old girl beating up you or me.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
It was already at 1900 on the same day the other 10 sold for 900.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
That exhibition should not count as a real match. Conor had about as much of a chance winning as a 10 year old girl beating up you or me.
It was a joke from day one. An all time great boxer against an amateur. You might as well ask a champion squash player to practice two months then take on Roger Federer. I am sure Mayweather could have stepped it up and ended it any time he felt like it. The hand speed and punching power difference, good Lord what a stupid spectacle.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:19 PM
A.J. Johnson

I thought it was actually a great fight! 1000% more entertaining than the Pacquiao fight. Conor did much better than expected and didn't disappoint the MMA crowd while taking home 2x more than he made in his entire career. And Mayweather got to give his fans the fight they wanted to see 2 years ago against Pacquiao while beating Marciano's record in the process. Everybody won!
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time

Last edited by ajjohnsonsoxfan; 08-27-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:54 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Lots of talk. If there was no chance, they why not sell everything and bet it all on Floyd.....easy to say no chance without betting big....
Old 08-28-2017, 12:43 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Lots of talk. If there was no chance, they why not sell everything and bet it all on Floyd.....easy to say no chance without betting big....
Because the opening was 25:1. In layman's terms, that means you'd bet $100 and win $4.

90% of the (number of) bets were on McGregor. 80% of the money was on Mayweather.

That means many guys laid down the $10-$100 bets, just looking for a little action, and likely MMA fans. The big money (on Mayweather) was from the guys who knew what they were doing, and (likely) do it professionally.

Finally, Mayweather admitted he tried to lay a bet on himself, and the casino he entered (undisclosed at the time) refused to take his bet.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:14 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
There is always the risk of a fix, or of something equivalent to lightning striking. If the odds are too high the payout just isn't worth any risk. But in sports terms this was a virtual certainty, and a joke really. IMO anyone who gave MacGregor even a realistic chance does not understand the degree of skill involved in boxing at the elite level.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-28-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:24 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I am 100% sure everything in that auction is on the up and up, it would be silly to think something shady is going on. They have a very dedicated group of bidders that would happily pay 3X the price it could be bought for normally. I know I personally do it all the time.
Ended over 3000. Let's see if the underbidder goes for the new BIN on ebay at that price.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-28-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

52 Mantle bidder, 26 retractions.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...p2471758.m4792

Old 09-05-2017, 05:46 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
He must have slipped through the cracks, Peter?
Old 09-05-2017, 06:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
He must have slipped through the cracks, Peter?
I suppose, hard to conclude much from one bidder. Awful lot of retractions though.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-05-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:13 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

Not to mention only 12 bids, all with the same seller.

Quote:
I suppose, hard to conclude much from one bidder. Awful lot of retractions though.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:20 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arazi4442 View Post
Not to mention only 12 bids, all with the same seller.
You guys are over reacting. I am 100% sure everyone of those retractions are of the non malicious type. Also they are just a very dedicated bidder with a high class operation. Really why buy something cheaper someplace else when you can pay way more with them. Hey if you don't believe me just ask Betsy.

The really funny part is if they would not have posted all the cleaning up their auction BS would we even see these threads?
Old 09-05-2017, 06:47 PM
A.J. Johnson

I was looking at a series of cards today on VCP and the delta between what PWCC cards sell for and all others is becoming so wide that either 1) PWCC has a lot of deep pocketed buyers that only do business with them or 2) They have an army of paid or employee bidders that are systematically bidding up cards

Is there an option 3?
Old 09-05-2017, 07:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

I have lots of issues with PWCC (I know, you never would have guessed lol), but I would be shocked if they are actually paying anyone to bid on cards. I would bet a lot against it, in fact. In my opinion the issue is much more likely failure adequately to discipline/prevent consignors bidding up their own, or for friends.

Speaking of all that, I guess the tell-all we were promised by Cortney never materialized.

PS I also think there is some element of guys who bid mostly or even exclusively with them, as irrational as that seems in the days of full buyer protection, generally good customer service across the ebay platform, etc.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-05-2017 at 07:08 PM.