NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-17-2016, 10:31 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Pennzoni Baloney - Restore Your Own Display

So the wife comes home one morning after scavenging the neighborhood and asks me to help her pick up some tables. The price is right, free, but they are in horrible condition. All the finish on the wood on top is extensively worn, completely down to bare wood in places. The tops are heavily tinted glass within the wooden frames. Under the glass is the ugliest fake cork you could ever imagine. I groaned, but consented to load them up. I didn't want to break the camera, so I don't have a picture of what they looked like on arrival. The first picture below does show some of the detail and the lovely pseudo cork, reminiscent of the floor in the Boston Garden. This wasn't going to be a Celtic table, so the cork had to go.

Restoration was in order and after a light sanding and several coats of Varethane (not yet applied in this pic) the appearance of the wood was spectacular. Deciding where to go from here was the problem. I thought about displaying cards as shown, but the cork didn't get it done for me. Also I didn't want to advertise that there may be a significant collection elsewhere in the home. The glass was tinted enough and in the absence of direct sunlight I wasn't too concerned about exposure and the damage that might result, but I canned the card idea, or at least the valuable card idea.

Using the table for display purposes however still seemed possible, but covering that pseudo cork was essential. Black felt was purchased and the pseudo cork plaques were removed and covered with felt and stapled back in place. A landing area was cleared in a room where the shades are always drawn, except for the purpose of the remaining pictures. From a distance it just looks like a dark glass topped coffee table framed in wood.

One man's junk is another man's treasure, so I have been purchasing inexpensive items that might be appropriate for such a display. My wife still refers to these items as junk, but she is tolerant. "The Monster" booklet, an Association Footballers Album and opening game tickets for Miller Park and Turner Field in their first year are shown in the first panel.

A low grade Turkey Red, P2 Sweet Cap Pin and an opening game ticket for Citizen's Bank Park in Philly grace the second panel.

A Sporting News Supplement of the "Chief" and a ticket to the opening game of the Dodgers' 100th Anniversary season occupy the third panel

The last panel includes a St. Louis Browns pennant (thanks Dennis), a few hand cut trade cards and a young lad from the nineteenth century Princeton nine.

The items displayed are a bit difficult to see without the morning sun, and this "fantastic" display will go unnoticed by most or dispensed with by a shrug by others. I know this for a fact as my curio display of vintage cards in the old home went largely unnoticed for five years. Even if I dragged someone over to take a look, they took a quick look and then asked for another drink.

I suspect that some of the previous owners of some of these treasures will be viewing this post and I thank them for making them available in various auctions and on our own B/S/T.

With a butter knife items is the display can easily be rearranged and switched as new "junk" (read treasures) becomes available.

Finally, I have nothing against Pennzoni display cases, but they are the only display cases that rhyme with baloney.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 03-18-2016 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:45 AM
Zach

Looking good. I'd fill each section completely with "junk".
Old 03-17-2016, 10:51 AM
octavio ranzola

neat
Old 03-17-2016, 11:09 AM
Jonathan Schwartz

Looks really great!
Gotta ask, is the direct sunlight a concern or does it pass fast enough to not be a thing. I've always been nervous to have stuff in direct sunlight.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:27 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

That's museum-worthy! Nice job!
Old 03-17-2016, 12:36 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Is that one of Leon's quarters I see in there???

Every once in awhile you should sneak in one of your old Hustler Magazines inside the display to see if the wife is paying attention......
Old 03-17-2016, 12:58 PM
Daryl

Very nice, Frank!
Old 03-17-2016, 01:24 PM

Niiiiccceee! I love this!

Ricky Y
Old 03-17-2016, 01:56 PM
Bry@n

Awesome idea!

Plus, now you can ask your wife if she likes a new arrival and if she calls it junk you can reply "Fine. I'll table it."
Old 03-17-2016, 02:41 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Nice work.. Back when I did Nascar collecting, I purchased some furniture that was made for diecast cars to be put inside. One was your usual 6ft x 4ft shelving surround and one was a nightstand. It has a front door that opens up and slide the cars in or just raise the glass insert from the top.
Heres a new example to something like the shelving one:
http://images.qvc.com/is/image/c/67/c1767_d48.102?$moreviewmain$

Heres a site that has all sorts of acrylic displays, perhaps something for a card collector might be of interest:
http://displaycaseart.com/acrylicshowcases.html
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 03-17-2016, 03:46 PM
Dustin Bellinger

Great looking display!

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:47 PM
Jason Albregts

I recognize those "die cuts"
Old 03-17-2016, 04:37 PM
Bill

Fantastic Frank!! If that mini St. Louis Browns pennat might be for sale, please PM me....
Old 03-17-2016, 09:57 PM
M@r5h@|| T011¡\/€R
Mars.hall Tol.liver

Wow! That looks great. I've been wanting to do something like this for a while now, just haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-18-2016, 08:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Great play by play Frank!! I am not a good restorer so usually just leave things alone. And no, it's not my quarter in the display, I had to spend it.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:58 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Nice Frank! Looks really cool.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%