NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-02-2016, 09:10 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Kenny - sorry to bump you on the Nichols. That's a great looking card!

I overpaid for three of my four LOTG pick-ups...but I was pleased with the results of the items I consigned. These are my two favorite pick-ups from last night:

c1910 Oakland City Walkovers PC w/ Roush:

1952-53 Santurce Crabbers Composite Photo w/ Clemente:
Derek, I am sorry to bump you a tad on the Walkovers PC. Nice pick-up, but I am surprised you didn't also get the Walkovers cabinet photo. I was also hoping to pick up that LaLonge portrait, but lost while sleeping. You said you over-paid on three of four lots, what were the other two?

ccre, I was under on that Lafitte, congrats on a nice card.

Oh, and I got the Walkovers cabinet photo, and the Virginia Extra Smith.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 02-03-2016, 05:45 AM
Steven H.

This is my first auction not buying any cardboard. Picked up my first autographed bats mostly for the Larson and Fielder.

1) Ruben Sierra
2) Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez
3) Don Larsen
4) Bucky Dent
5) Cecil Fielder.

Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas
Old 02-03-2016, 08:40 AM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
Derek, I am sorry to bump you a tad on the Walkovers PC. Nice pick-up, but I am surprised you didn't also get the Walkovers cabinet photo. I was also hoping to pick up that LaLonge portrait, but lost while sleeping. You said you over-paid on three of four lots, what were the other two?

ccre, I was under on that Lafitte, congrats on a nice card.

Oh, and I got the Walkovers cabinet photo, and the Virginia Extra Smith.
I have a c1909 Walkovers Team PC already, so it would have been overkill to grab the 1910 Cabinet as well!

As for the other two items, I got the 1953-54 Caguas Team Photo w/ Hank Aaron and the 1960 National Bank of Omaha "Proof" w/ Marichal. I hadn't even seen the Marichal until the last day of bidding...I guess it's always worth a second look to make sure you didn't miss anything the first time around.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 02-03-2016, 01:29 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Kenny - sorry to bump you on the Nichols.
Derek, no worries. I was happy to win it at a decent price. It is a nice upgrade and all is good. Best,

Kenny
Old 02-04-2016, 09:14 AM
Phil Garry

Derek:

Great pick up on the Clemente premium. That was one that I was always after but alluded me as I never saw it come up for sale/auction in the 10 years that I was searching. Not sure if it is unique, most likely, there are a few surviving examples, but definitely a toughie....

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 02-04-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:07 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I picked up the yellow Gehrig. $7000 ($8400).

PSA 9 OC. I don't buy off center cards generally, but seriously thought that might go much higher. Guess the old centering bias lives on. Stunning card. For some reason the north-south centering issue doesn't bother me.

I'm never going to spend 6 figures for a Goudey Gehrig 9 that's not qualified. Took a flyer on this one and can't wait to see it in person.

Since my bid didn't move for a week I guess others saw it very differently and might think I'm crazy. I'm over the moon I got it.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:52 PM
Anthřny N. ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

PSA 9 OC. I don't buy off center cards generally, but seriously thought that might go much higher. Guess the old centering bias lives on. Stunning card. For some reason the north-south centering issue doesn't bother me.

I'm never going to spend 6 figures for a Goudey Gehrig 9 that's not qualified. Took a flyer on this one and can't wait to see it in person.

Since my bid didn't move for a week I guess others saw it very differently and might think I'm crazy. I'm over the moon I got it.
I saw that card last fall, it's gorgeous and I think you got a great deal on an incredible card. Congrats.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:52 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
I saw that card last fall, it's gorgeous and I think you got a great deal on an incredible card. Congrats.
IMO, some of the best deals are these less than perfectly centered cards, if you don't mind it. Especially lately as so much premium cash is being poured into perfectly centered stuff. Nothing against centering, but I will always be happy with clean OC cards.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:42 PM
Jason

Anxiously awaiting these pickups. I was waiting for the invoices to go out just be positive to know I had acquired them.
I have been wanting this postcard ever since the photo dissection post on net54 came out. Very interesting!

It was nice to find a Hindu without paper loss on the reverse and its a Johnny Evers portrait to boot.

I wanted to upgrade my Lajoie portrait to a Piedmont 150 and not too concerned about the cut or double name

Finally I caught this Perry Tacoma Giants card towards the end of auction closing. I had bought one here before (Union Oil version) from another member, had it graded and turned around and sold it to another member for less, not sure why. Surprisingly this one cost me way less and it was autographed. Very low pop card but I dig the photo!
Old 02-05-2016, 10:36 AM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthorst75 View Post
Anxiously awaiting these pickups. I was waiting for the invoices to go out just be positive to know I had acquired them.
Finally I caught this Perry Tacoma Giants card towards the end of auction closing. I had bought one here before (Union Oil version) from another member, had it graded and turned around and sold it to another member for less, not sure why. Surprisingly this one cost me way less and it was autographed. Very low pop card but I dig the photo!
Nice grab on the Perry...that was my consignment. That card often sells for $150+ raw (when it rarely comes up for auction)...the autograph (and TPG putting the card in the holder backwards) really killed any chance for that card to sell for what it should. Great snag and at a killer price!

Clearly, this is a great example of an AH/consignor that does not shill or allow shilling. I would never have let that card sell for so little if I had put a "hidden reserve" on it! LOL!

Old 02-05-2016, 11:07 AM
Paul Herbener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

I was back and forth on that one. I saw it sitting at $7000 for a while and nearly pulled the trigger. I'm with you, the north south shift doesn't bother me as much. It's a gorgeous card! Congrats!

I picked up the M101-1 Young I'm hoping to display with my autographed First day HOF cachet of him and Lajoie. Now if I can find the M101-1 Lajoie! Also got the Type I photo of Robinson stealing home from the George Michael collection for my type I collection.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:51 PM
Phil Garry

Paul:

I think Clean Sweep had an M101-1 Lajoie at one time, not sure if they still have it. I had a really nice one at one time but it's long gone. I still think it's one of the better rookie investments out there for pre-war HOF'ers.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 02-05-2016 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:04 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Paul:

I think Clean Sweep had an M101-1 Lajoie at one time, not sure if they still have it. I had a really nice one at one time but it's long gone. I still think it's one of the better rookie investments out there for pre-war HOF'ers.
Yep - Clean Sweep sold one (VG condition) on 10/7/15 for about $1,100 and Goodwin had a BGS 2.5 that sold for ~$1,130 on 7/11/2014. Not that I'm keeping track!

I'm still looking for the elusive 1897 Leslie's Weekly w/ Lajoie on the cover. One sold in a recent Hunt auction w/ a whole bunch of other items and went for way more than I was willing to pay (since I didn't have a clue what the other items were worth)!

Old 02-05-2016, 02:20 PM
Max Weder

Bringing the photo back to Canada (but away from Ontario) and the book is, well, I do do books

Old 02-05-2016, 08:18 PM
Jason

Quote:
Nice grab on the Perry...that was my consignment. That card often sells for $150+ raw (when it rarely comes up for auction)...the autograph (and TPG putting the card in the holder backwards) really killed any chance for that card to sell for what it should. Great snag and at a killer price!

Clearly, this is a great example of an AH/consignor that does not shill or allow shilling. I would never have let that card sell for so little if I had put a "hidden reserve" on it! LOL!
Actually Derek I bought the union oil Perry from you before but I just didn't want to name drop. Thanks for the opportunity to pick this one up. Do you know if SGC would flip it around?
Old 02-06-2016, 04:29 AM
Phil Garry

Derek:

The BGS Lajoie was mine, I think it was severely under-graded at 2.5. I had the Leslie's at one time too, it was beautifully matted and framed, that piece is probably out there somewhere, maybe will come up for auction soon.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:12 AM
Hal T.

Guess my post is a little late to the party but I figured I would share. The Flying Dutchman letter and the International League Season Pass were in my crosshairs from the start but as the auction went on I pulled the trigger on the 1928 Athletics team ball with HOF'ers Cobb, Grove (sweet spot) and Cochrane. The Orioles ties were part of my attraction to the ball. Jimmy Dykes was the first manager of the present day Baltimore Orioles and Lefty Grove who played 5 years on championship teams with the International League Bmore Orioles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7374a_med.jpg (19.8 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg 7463a_med.jpg (13.3 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg 7490a_med.jpg (12.7 KB, 163 views)