NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-06-2017, 06:19 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Beckett Raw Card Review

What's that all about? PWCC selling a card tonight with raw Beckett review. Think I've seen on occasion before. If this some back of the envelope estimate as to what the card could grade? Or is it a real grade, whatever that means. Why would someone pay to essentially have their card eyeballed and put into an ugly baggie and taped shut?
Old 07-06-2017, 06:23 AM
T0dd M@rcum

The main difference is that the Beckett graders look at the card while completely naked, hence the term "raw review." While it is fairly accurate, they tend to be self-conscious, especially at a major show, and sometime miss some flaws, especially if the air conditioning is turned up. Hope this helps.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:34 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Thanks. That was both not helpful and a very obvious weak joke.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-06-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:46 AM
Adam B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I got a chuckle out of it. I believe the air-conditioning bit was a reference to the auditors in Wolf of Wall Street, right? Perhaps not so obvious?
Old 07-06-2017, 06:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
It is what is says it is. It is a quick review that costs less than a full encapsulation. If you were at a show and just want to know what a card would grade, a raw card review would do the trick. That was off the top of my head...here is their blurb from their website..

Raw Card Review
Beckett GradingBeckett on-site review services allow our customers to find out what grades their cards deserve before they submit them to BGS or BVG.

Detailed review feedback
Half-point grading scale for more precise assessment
Tamper-proof protection
Available for raw cards
Offered at the Beckett booth at a show near you!

Old 07-06-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
What's that all about? PWCC selling a card tonight with raw Beckett review. Think I've seen on occasion before. If this some back of the envelope estimate as to what the card could grade? Or is it a real grade, whatever that means. Why would someone pay to essentially have their card eyeballed and put into an ugly baggie and taped shut?
This is so Beckett doesn't have to drag their equipment all over the country to shows. They can still grade cards at shows without slabbing them. When you get your card graded with RCR, you can let Beckett take the card to slab it and that is the grade you will get. If you keep the card, there is no guarantee on the grade if you slab it because the holder can be tampered with.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:55 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Stick around. They'll get worse.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:59 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
If you keep the card, there is no guarantee on the grade if you slab it because the holder can be tampered with.
I may be wrong, but I don't believe this part is correct. As long as the holder doesn't show evidence of tampering, you can send a RCR card in for encapsulation and it doesn't have to go through the re-grading process (you only pay for encapsulation.) If the holder shows evidence of tampering, that's a different story.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:33 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

OK, the idea that Beckett provides this service so they don't have to drag their equipment all over the country makes a modicum of sense. Though, damm, they could do better than a cheap plastic baggie.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I may be wrong, but I don't believe this part is correct. As long as the holder doesn't show evidence of tampering, you can send a RCR card in for encapsulation and it doesn't have to go through the re-grading process (you only pay for encapsulation.) If the holder shows evidence of tampering, that's a different story.
That is what the Beckett employee told me when I had some cards RCR. All cards are regraded, RCR doesn't have the subs, just the overall grade. Also, you do pay the normal cost of grading to get the card slabbed. At least I did when I did it earlier in the year. Maybe in the past you got a discounted rate, but no longer.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:39 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
they could do better than a cheap plastic baggie.
Not sure what you mean by cheap plastic baggie. Typically, they put the card in a penny sleeve inside a card saver and place a tamer resistant label on it like this (not my card)...

Old 07-06-2017, 09:31 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Maybe its not a baggie.

This is the one selling tonight I referred to.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1934-Goudey-...4AAOSwAO9ZUYOT

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-06-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:57 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I had a snipe on ^^^....I was far, far outbidded.
It was a low end card that I been waiting for and I knew nice graded one can easily fetch 1k+.
But, I assumed it as being raw and placed a bid as it was a 'raw' card.
Geesh!!!
Old 07-07-2017, 12:27 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I bid on a few PWCC items last night and won one (first time in many months). I carefully checked my items through the night to see if the leading bidder looked suspicious. Didn't see any sign of it. Slightly overpaid for a Ruth card but one I wanted for a while. I know some (or many) folks avoid them on this board. I approach their auction with a careful eye but sometimes they have a card I'd have to wait a long time to see elsewhere.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:47 PM
Mike P.ap

Default They can change the grade.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Rats60 was correct. Once you leave the Beckett area or leave their site, they can grade the card whatever they want. I had a batch of RCR that I took home as they were a group grade and not everyone wanted the cards slabbed at what they reviewed at. Out of about 50 RCRs that we sent back in, we had 2 cards that received LOWER grades! Nothing got a higher grade and all the rest (98% or so) were slabbed at the RCR grade. Nothing was tampered with.
They can and will change the grade if they feel they missed something at the show. We only paid an extra fee for encapsulation but they CAN lower the grade if something stands out that they missed.

Thanks!

Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 07-07-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:10 AM
Robert Kasenter

Default Beckett RCR

My own personal experience is that the raw card review grade is not necessarily the ultimate grade you get. A few years ago I bought a 1969 Reggie Jackson card with BVG 6.5 RCR. When I submitted it to Beckett in the RCR for grading, they returned it in a BVG 7 case.

Rob