NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-02-2017, 07:03 PM
Erich W

Default I nearly choked when I saw this auction result!

$6700 for an autograph from then 8 year old Derek Jeter...some will say to 'each their own' but look at that hand writing....and IMHO it's not even that interesting of a novelty, especially at that price....Seriously, $6700....

thoughts? Anyone out their collect childhood memorabilia from their favorite stars?

http://lelands.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=83801
Old 07-02-2017, 07:06 PM
And*y Quig!ey

Autographs are not my thing, but I can see it.
Possibly unique, certainly novel.
Different strokes ... I guess. I can understand how someone who feels connected to a player through an autograph would get that sense from this.

Last edited by ajquigs; 07-03-2017 at 04:05 AM.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:08 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

It's definitely not your garden variety Jeet sig. Looks a little funny but hey , at least it's legible! That's way more than you can say about most current signatures of other players.

Imagine what a ball from Ruth's boyhood industrial school team would go for? I realize it doesn't exist but if one did that could be authenticated in readable shape, I'd guess it would go for more than any other Ruth ball.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:42 PM
Scott Ti3k

For a hard core Derek Jeter collector who has the money it makes sense. How many other Jeter collectors can say they have one of these?
Old 07-02-2017, 08:08 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

At least you can't argue with the authenticity of this piece.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:10 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
At least you can't argue with the authenticity of this piece.
Why is that?
Old 07-02-2017, 08:35 PM
Banned

Pretty sure that's the second time this ball has been auctioned.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:43 PM
je.sse @rnot

I don't get the appeal, other than rarity, of a signed ball from when a player was 8 years old. Apparently at least a couple of people disagree. Hopefully the winner is happy with his purchase. If I were a big Jeter fan I'd rather spend big on a game used bat or home run ball.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:54 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

I don't get it either. I collect hof signed balls and don't have a Jeter yet. Obviously will need one soon enough. Besides the documented resale value I'd much rather have a current signature. That ball looks terrible in my opinion. Waste.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:56 PM
Ben

Someone come perform the Heimlich Maneuver on me bc I'm still choking!!!
Old 07-02-2017, 08:56 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

I think this is the third or fourth time I have seen it, unless there is more than one ball out there. All of the auctions of this ball or the two similar balls (whichever it is) have happened in the past year or year and a half.

Tom C

Last edited by btcarfagno; 07-02-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
Pretty sure that's the second time this ball has been auctioned.
Heritage auctioned it off in 2015. REA had a different little league ball they sold in 2014.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:24 PM
Robert Klevens

Sold for $3,943.50 in Jan 2015 Lelands

http://lelands.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=74766

Sold for $5497.00 in Nov 2015 in Heritage
https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1...pleItem-071515

Different one sold for $14,400 in Oct 2014 REA
http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...e?itemid=32969
Old 07-03-2017, 12:49 AM
Bob Davies

I have his soother for sale if anyone wants it. It has old dried spit on it, earlier than any other Jeter spit out there. $4000 OBO

Old 07-03-2017, 12:57 AM
Matt

Rather than unnecessarily and discourteously dumping on what might be someone's new thing they like, I'll take the counterpoint to what some have said here; if I was a die-hard Jeets collector I can see the appeal here. I'd certainly bid on a little league piece or sig of one of my favorite guys.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:13 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
Imagine what a ball from Ruth's boyhood industrial school team would go for? I realize it doesn't exist but if one did that could be authenticated in readable shape, I'd guess it would go for more than any other Ruth ball.
I am sure there is one hiding in a grampas attic, flee market find, or at an estate sale. Just keep checking eBay, Goldin, or Mears for it to show up.

As for the Jeter ball I think it is AWESOME and would love to own such an amazing piece.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:51 AM
C@rl P@rk

To a general autograph collector it may seem idiotic but to a Jeter collector I would think it'd be an incredible one of a kind piece. If there were a Jeter museum, this would definitely be on display and be a popular piece in the museum. To someone with a Jeter display it would serve the same purpose as a cool, unique thing to exhibit. I totally get it as a player collector.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:03 PM

Didn't little Steve Lagerbery know any better? Aesthetically it would have been best to let pint-sized Derek have that panel all to himself. Silly, thoughtless Steve...it is just like him to ruin everything.

Brian
Old 07-03-2017, 01:50 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisk View Post
To a general autograph collector it may seem idiotic but to a Jeter collector I would think it'd be an incredible one of a kind piece. If there were a Jeter museum, this would definitely be on display and be a popular piece in the museum. To someone with a Jeter display it would serve the same purpose as a cool, unique thing to exhibit. I totally get it as a player collector.
Agreed. If you're chasing hall of fame autos, probably not worth it. But, if you're after Jeter stuff, it's a terrific piece.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:08 PM
S Gross

Scott Gross (10 yr. old) signed 1970 Lion's Little League Champs:

zzjsg.jpg

Can personally authenticate it !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-03-2017, 02:16 PM

I disagree; it's a relatively unique item unlike a run-of-the-mill signed ball when he was in MLB. If I were a Jeter fan I would have bid on it.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:59 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I think it's clearly a clubhouse signature, probably signed by the mother responsible for bringing snacks to the game that day.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:32 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan73 View Post
For a hard core Derek Jeter collector who has the money it makes sense. How many other Jeter collectors can say they have one of these?
Agreed. I've seen more spent on stupider.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:49 AM
Larry

I met Jeter once, in Boston outside his hotel in Boston for the 1999 All-Star game. When quite politely asked for his autograph on a single ball being used to gather the signatures of as many all-stars as possible as merely a personal momento, he gruffly, even insultingly growled, "I only sign for the kids." And he was signing for kids--kids that were being fed balls by two dealers sitting back away from the action down by the curb! The insinuation Jeter made was that an adult must be some sort of bum who couldn't possibly be a fan, and was just out to get his signature to sell the ball because he couldn't make money any other way. I think this dork actually thought the Yankees paid his salary, instead of the fans, through admission tickets, concessions, and parking, and buying TV and radio sponsors' products. He couldn't even conceive of the reality that the Yankees were just a conduit for the fans' money he was receiving as his pay! He is two-faced, having one image he projects for public consumption when the spotlight is on him, and another only shown when there is not a large audience and he feels he can behave as he likes. Jeter could use an entire course of lessons in manners from the likes of Hank Aaron, Harmon Killebrew and Frank Howard.

Joe Torre and Tony Gynn showed far more class, although I liked Tony's test: He asked if I minded where he signed it, meaning the sweet spot or not, as a way of ascertaining my intentions. Of course I replied, "Tony, it doesn't matter at all--sign wherever you like." He liked that answer, and did. Both were true gentleman, willing to give back to the game. Which brings to mind a question I once asked Lem Barney, who I came to know personally when we went to the same church from 1998 to 2004, and lived for a time in my own home: "Lem, do you know how many All-Pro players there would be without any fans willing to fund the action?" He got the answer right: "None."

Anyway, Jeter jas never been on my favorites list, and while I collect HOF'ers, I don't want or need his card, as he certainly doesn't make mine.

Happy collecting,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 07-04-2017 at 02:57 AM.