NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-25-2006, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Default Beta Testers Wanted

Posted By: CardPricer.com

Hello everyone,
CardPricer.com is almost ready to move into advanced alpha testing. Alpha/Beta Testing will be free and you will have the option to move your account information over once we release v1.0. v1.0 will be 'pay for usage'. We are looking for 15-20 people to provide testing. We already have a number of people that we are going to ask, but there are still slots available. There are two stipulations:

#1) You will not be allowed to share any information regarding the program, its' features, or its' uses with anyone outside of other beta testers.
#2) You must provide us with feedback.

If you are interested, please send an email to info@cardpricer.com. The subject should read: Tester Application. We need your name and email address. If you are accepted you will be notified. We will notify you of your status sometime next week. It will essentially be first come first serve. Since we will be communicating directly with people we have interested in becoming beta testers, we cannot say how many of these slots will be available.

Thanks for your time,
CardPricer.com

<EDITED FOR CONTENT>

Old 01-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Craig

Who are you and what does this have to do with vintage cards?
Just curious

Old 01-25-2006, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

deleted

Old 01-25-2006, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Hi,
This is essentially a collecting suite that will allow you to manage your collection and track prices. Certain aspects of the program will be released in future versions, but that is a quick overall idea of the functionality and the capabilities. At the very least it will provide you with accurate pricing information for any publicly traded card and at most it will be a portal to the hobby. Pricing information for pre1945 will be available on or close to the v1.0 launch date. Checklists for most every set will be available for free at that time. Pricing information will not be available until paid-beta is released.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-25-2006, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

So where are you getting your pricing data?

Old 01-25-2006, 08:25 PM
Administrator

From eBay & Auction sites who we all use.

Old 01-25-2006, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob S

Hey guys,

Am I naive, or does this sound like a great idea, and would make the Beckett "My Collection", and Krauses' painfully slow look-up completely obsolete?

Thx for any commets.

Bob S

Old 01-25-2006, 08:40 PM
Administrator

That's the idea! Every successful transaction that takes place on eBay will be filtered through our system. Beta Testing is designed to get user feedback on the interface, on organization of the product, and on other associated features. We are not going to make up prices, if a card doesn't have a price, we're not going to assign one, there's a lot more where this comes from, but in any event, if you guys want to be on the list, just shoot us an email. We'll notify you guys (and Julie) sometime next week when testing is ready to go.

Old 01-25-2006, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

Bob, I'm with you this does sound like a great idea especailly if you are buying cards as an investment. It sounds like you would just enter the cards you own and it will give you a price of what the card is going for in the real market. Kinda like your stock portfolio of basball cards, at least that's the way I am thinking that it is being described.

I was typing this when card pricer responded. He answered the question I had about rarety though.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: zach

Good idea, but could we get your name ? I think your doing a very good deed but this is a pretty big thing so it would be good to know your name.

Old 01-25-2006, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I do know the name of the person doing it but they don't want it to be known publicly right now. We will know in the not distant future..this is what they asked me to say

"If you feel comfortable, you could mention that you know who we are, but that we’re not interested in disclosing our names until after the Beta Testing and such is done. I appreciate it"

so there you have it folks...best regards

Old 01-25-2006, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BcDaniels

of course~

Old 01-25-2006, 11:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: zach

Exactly what I was thinking.

Old 01-26-2006, 06:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert

Sounds like a great Idea but would want to know a lot more about how you are acquiring data and your rules for what you deem worthy. Do you have people adding the data or is it computer retrieved? Do you accept all grading company's ? and lastly what is your stance on cards with qualifiers. There are so many variables out there I would just like to know how you are handling thses situations.

Old 01-26-2006, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BcDaniels

auction records
e-bay
and Hal who does due diligence is how they acquire "values".
oh and Zach,who keeps track of everything now as well!

Old 01-27-2006, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

I may be thicker than the average brick, but Im usually good enuff to refrain from broadcasting it. However, in this instance I will make an exception.

What is the value, and what is the point of beta testing a program designed to provide updated price information; if the price information for this program will not be available until the launch date?

Wouldn't any such beta testing simply be evaluating the adequacy of your checklist data entry?

Old 01-27-2006, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Perhaps it's to test the software itself to make sure it works and see what outsiders think of the usability.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Indeed Cycleback is correct. The build of the software is not dependent on the pricing information. Alpha & Beta Builds are often released prior to a final verson so that potential users can test the software and give their feedback.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

Please forgive my continued inquiry, however, I do not believe that alpha testing is typically configured to pass on a product which does not work.

I therefore conclude that beta testing of a product which has (as I perceive it) its main feature inoperative, is a service provided to the manufacturer. I find no objection to others providing this service for you. However, I would prefer to evaluate the completed version.

It is my understanding that your plans do not include potential user evaluation of the completed product though. Am I correct in assessing the plan as being to incorporate the pricing function to the beta tested and upgraded (if necessary) build; then immediately release the resultant non-user tested, version 1 launch product for sale?

Old 01-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Administrator

eBay may take a dim view of your use of their transaction data, but I won't rat you out.

Old 01-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

There are many internet companies that use or link to data from companies such as ebay. Examples include sniping companies such as esnipe, or in the book world, www.bookfinder.com which links searches from many unrelated databases.

Max

Old 01-27-2006, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

"Kinda like your stock portfolio of basball cards, at least that's the way I am thinking that it is being described."

I may be the only ETopps member here, but that site tracks ebay sales and then calculates one's portfolio value. It is set up similarly to my Etrade account. Carpricer.com, you may want to check out Etopps.com if you haven't already. Alas, of my 5 cards, only my 2001 Torry Holt has appreciated during 2005.

Old 01-29-2006, 02:34 PM
Administrator

We have studied eTopps, thanks for the tip though.

Old 01-31-2006, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Thanks to everyone who sent us requests. We should have the site ready to go tomorrow evening. We will let you all know as soon as it is ready.