NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-20-2017, 03:17 PM

Default First time consigning - question about process

I'm going to be consigning an item to a major auction house. I've never consigned something before. The house is asking me to send the item first, then they say they'll follow up with a consignment contract. Is that normally how business is done? I would feel more comfortable having the contract first, but I have no idea how these things work.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:25 PM
Robert Williams

You need to know what the commission rate is UP FRONT before you ship them anything!!!!
Old 06-20-2017, 03:27 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

The acceptance of the lot comes before the contract-- and I assume they want to examine it in person before acceptance. They'd be in trouble if they were having contracts for items that turned out to be fakes.

Most to all of the big auction houses are fully insured, so you shouldn't have to be worry about loss, theft or breakage.

Last edited by drcy; 06-20-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:29 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
The acceptance of the lot comes before the contract-- and I assume they want to examine it in person before acceptance.

Most to all of the big auction houses are fully insured, so you shouldn't have to be worry about loss, theft or breakage.
This is true....but please find out the commission rate....some are better than others, and that determines how much you will get..

I have a $3,000 item....do I really want to consign it to a house that is going to charge me 10% and the buyer 20%? They basically will get $900 for handling my item,....that is money I don't see.....you can shop around for the best rate.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:38 PM

It's a 10% rate, which I can live with considering it's an item that should sell anywhere between $1,500 and $2,000. I have less than $200 into it.

Thanks guys!
Old 06-20-2017, 04:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
It's a 10% rate, which I can live with considering it's an item that should sell anywhere between $1,500 and $2,000. I have less than $200 into it.

Thanks guys!
Including the buyer's premium?? Because you are paying that too ultimately.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-20-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
This is true....but please find out the commission rate....some are better than others, and that determines how much you will get..

I have a $3,000 item....do I really want to consign it to a house that is going to charge me 10% and the buyer 20%? They basically will get $900 for handling my item,....that is money I don't see.....you can shop around for the best rate.
i don't think the consignor's perceived value of his item should be the only deciding factor of if a consignment fee is fair.. if the item is a $3,000 graded card, then a 10 percent consignment fee seems excessive. if the consignment is a large group of ungraded cards or sets that take more time to photograph, write an auction description, then the AH likely deserves to be paid for that work. To just quote a number about value and state that a consigning charge isn't fair is irresponsible.

Last edited by RedsFan1941; 06-20-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:50 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post

Thanks guys!
There are major auction houses that will not charge you a seller's fee for auctioning a $1,500 - 2,000 item, assuming the AH will not have to do an unusual amount of work with it. I suggest you contact several, and don't hesitate to negotiate.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:17 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
There are major auction houses that will not charge you a seller's fee for auctioning a $1,500 - 2,000 item, assuming the AH will not have to do an unusual amount of work with it. I suggest you contact several, and don't hesitate to negotiate.
Agreed....shop around.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:45 AM
Scott Mt. Joy

Shop around, I have done items in that range several times and never paid a sellers premium, also my buyers premiums were in the 13-20% range.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the responses everyone. Ordinarily I think I'd definitely ask for a reduced fee or no fee, but with this particular sale I essentially have almost nothing into the item and I feel like it should sell for at least $1,500, so I am actually content with the fee this time around and to get my foot in the door. Appreciate all your insight.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:18 PM
Robert Williams

pm sent
Old 06-21-2017, 12:22 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I have consigned to a place with contract, and also a AH where there was no contract. I didn't even ask about fees, just let them handle it.

However, a big point I make to consigners is to make sure you write out the important parts about the lot, especially if it's an esoteric item or group lot. Don't assume that the AH will catch it all, know all the details and make all the good points-- in part because they don't have limitless time
Old 06-21-2017, 03:45 PM
Jeff Lazarus

I just went through this process for the first time and posted about it. The link to the thread is below, but here are some key takeaways:

1) For an item that is $1500-$2000 that does not require much work (ie. it is already authenticated; it does not require them to do additional research etc) there is no reason not to ask them to wave the consignment fee. They are doing almost no work with the item and taking on no risk. It doesn't matter that you have little money in it. They don't give you more money if you have a lot of money in it. Simply tell them that you think they are an elite auction house but you are speaking to a couple of others and given the ease of listing the item, are looking for one who is willing to work with you on this.

2) If there are "non-obvious" factors about the baseball, make sure to provide them for them. I won a baseball used in the 1945 Navy All-Star
Game. It also happened to be signed by Wimpy Quinn, one of the toughest signers of the 40's. This latter detail was not mentioned.

I also won a Negro League signed baseball referred to as "Jackie Robinson and others." Some research tied all the players to the 1953 Barnstorming Tour that he did.

Make sure you've done your research and share that info with them. Don't assume they will do it at the level you want.

3) Consider if the item will sell as well on eBay. For many cards, eBay provides a similar sale price but is quicker and has lower fees. You can list yourself or have a consignor list on eBay.

4) Make sure you are comfortable with the timetable. Auction houses often need the item a decent amount of time in advance to the auction, and it may take a few weeks for payment after the fact.

Here is the link to the thread I started:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=240100
Old 06-21-2017, 04:53 PM
J3ff Thr0m

Default lots

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
if the consignment is a large group of ungraded cards or sets that take more time to photograph, write an auction description, then the AH likely deserves to be paid for that work.
I would agree with this.

What's interesting to me though, is taking a place like PWCC who charges more for a group lot vs a single graded card. If I were to consign 50 cards to them, they take less of a cut for them individually sold then if I were to sell them as a lot.

Seems like the lot would be easier to prepare/photograph/describe then 50 individual items.

Is this the norm for AH's?
Old 06-24-2017, 07:40 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think there is some human mentality associated with taking a consignment. It's not always rose and lily gardens. Generally if a lot of work has to be done then more expense is incurred and thus higher fees. IF something is different than that, all the better for the consignor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thromdog View Post
I would agree with this.

What's interesting to me though, is taking a place like PWCC who charges more for a group lot vs a single graded card. If I were to consign 50 cards to them, they take less of a cut for them individually sold then if I were to sell them as a lot.

Seems like the lot would be easier to prepare/photograph/describe then 50 individual items.

Is this the norm for AH's?