NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-03-2016, 03:21 PM
D@le Irv*n

Default Another E-Bay question. Shipping fees?

Today, I found 2 cards on the cheap and decided to bid on them even though I told myself to curb my spending.

Anyways, I happened to win them both for just over $16 dollars but when I received my invoice, the shipping was also $16 dollars making for a total of over $32.00 dollars.

Now the fun part. This seller is not only located in Canada like me, he is also located in the same Province, only about 4hrs away.

I have purchased cards from CDN's before and the most I have paid was a few dollars.
$2.00 to be exact on my last card just shipped to me from Toronto in a padded envelope.

Todays seller's ad is confusing. It states he lives in Windsor, Ont. but his ad reads "May not ship to Canada"?? I noticed this problem sometime ago, likely months, and informed the seller about this issue but obviously he never did anything about it or couldn't?

Today, when trying to figure out shipping before bidding, it would not allow me as it stated "Seller does not have International shipping"

Shipping:May not ship to Canada - Read item description or contact seller for shipping options. | See detailsItem location:Windsor, Ontario, CanadaShips to:United StatesDelivery:VariesPayments:PayPal Visa MasterCard American Express Discover
Credit cards processed by PayPal
See payment information
Returns:No Returns Accepted

Guarantee:Money Back Guarantee | See details- opens in a new window or tab
Get the item you ordered or get your money back.
Covers your purchase price and original shipping

Thinking shipping likely wouldn't be anymore than $2 to $4 dollars, I bid and won the 2 cards.

I haven't paid for them yet as I was shocked to see the $16.00 for shipping, especially when it shouldn't be anymore than $4-$5 max, imo.

I know this seller is gouging me as there is no way it would cost remotely close to $16.00 dollars, unless he is using air mail or something similar to ship!

I checked E-Bay's policy about excessive shipping fees and came across this, which clearly states:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...practices.html
"You should also make every effort to provide excellent customer service from start to finish, including:
Charging reasonable shipping and handling costs"

Actual shipping cost: This is the amount for shipping the item. It should be what you paid the carrier.

I would still like the cards that I won but I don't know if should pay for them first or go to E-Bay first about this seller and his excessive shipping fees.

My gut tells me if I contact the seller, he will cancel the transaction and I will be out the 2 cards I won fair and square?

I know it is only $16.00 and not hundreds we are talking about but it is still excessive imo.

What is the best way to go about this situation?

Thanks.

Last edited by irv; 10-03-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:36 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

I would contact the seller and ask him this simple question:

"My invoice indicates the shipping for the two items I won is $16.00. I live in Canada. Is this correct"?

Then, based on his response, I would go to step "B".
Old 10-03-2016, 04:00 PM
cha.d car.lson

I have seen sellers do that to try to hide the actual cost of the item becuz sometimes buyers overlook shipping

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2016, 04:08 PM
Marty H.

He must be sending it tracked. 16 is a little high within Canada. Sholud be around 12CDN. Also, for a tracked package in Canada the price is the same if you're sending from Vancouver to Calgary, as it is from Vancouver to Toronto. I send to the US, 17CDN flat rate small tracked package to the lower 48 states. Tracked is expensive regardless.
If you want cheaper shipping you should ask for untracked, although some sellers wont send it without.

Last edited by MartyFromCANADA; 10-03-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:27 PM
Andy Sargent

Default Shipping

I have encountered this twice. Both times it was dealers who live on the US/Canada border who were willing to ship in whatever country won. A simple border hop. One was between Windsor and Detroit, the other was Vancouver and a little city in Washington State.

Not a great business model, confusing listing, but it did work out that they only charged me for shipping within Canada $3-4.

Andy
Old 10-03-2016, 05:38 PM
D@le Irv*n

Thanks guys.

If I go ahead and contact the seller, can he, without issue, cancel our deal, or because I won them fairly, (despite his confusing ad) and the fact I am disputing his shipping fees, have some time to get this resolved?

Should I let E-Bay know or try and handle this myself first? Never been down this road so entering uncharted territory.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:09 PM
D@le Irv*n

Does this sound correct? $16.00 for Standard Int'l Shipping?

Shipping within Canada shouldn't be International should it, or is it just a blanket shipping fee that doesn't really take into account where you live or if you happen to live in the same country?

Standard Int'l Shipping
Est. delivery varies
Old 10-03-2016, 06:47 PM
Andy Sargent

Default Shipping

Don't be shy to contact the seller. Standard shipping for two cards varies depending on how you want them shipped. If its a plain white envelope for ungraded cards, the postage is only $1.50. If it a bubble mailer for graded cards, it can be up to $8.50.

It gets expensive after that, especially you want tracking.

Did the seller have it listed as Ebay Global Shipping, or just set up for standard shipping? Ebay Global Shipping to Canada is absolutely ridiculous. Usually works out to about $25 for $4 worth of cards because they have you prepay import/customs fees you rarely would have to pay anyway.

If it was standard shipping, the seller has the ability to alter the invoice after the sale, this cannot be done if it was Ebay Global Shipping.

Andy
Old 10-03-2016, 07:41 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantleman View Post
Don't be shy to contact the seller. Standard shipping for two cards varies depending on how you want them shipped. If its a plain white envelope for ungraded cards, the postage is only $1.50. If it a bubble mailer for graded cards, it can be up to $8.50.

It gets expensive after that, especially you want tracking.

Did the seller have it listed as Ebay Global Shipping, or just set up for standard shipping? Ebay Global Shipping to Canada is absolutely ridiculous. Usually works out to about $25 for $4 worth of cards because they have you prepay import/customs fees you rarely would have to pay anyway.

If it was standard shipping, the seller has the ability to alter the invoice after the sale, this cannot be done if it was Ebay Global Shipping.

Andy
Thanks Andy.

I did contact the seller and politely asked if I was reading that right, $16.00 dollars to ship 2 cards within Ontario?
He has not replied yet.

The 2 cards I won were both PSA graded. A 52 Topps and a 59 Fence Busters card so I could understand $5 to $8.00 dollars in the same bubble wrapper, but anymore than that, especially with both of us being close in Ontario, would be unreasonable.

His ad was very vague, (posted above in 1st ad in red) and no where did it say anything about Global shipping. If it did, I wouldn't have bid on it for the reasons you describe. I hate Global shipping.

Hopefully he replies and comes up with a better figure or at least explains why his fees are so expensive?

Thanks again for your help.

I appreciate it!

Last edited by irv; 10-03-2016 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:49 PM
D@le Irv*n

Just received this reply

Dear XXXX,

Not within ontario. Should be less than 10 bucks. 7 sound ok?

Your previous message

Am I reading this right? You are charging me $16 dollars to ship 2 cards within Ontario?

Dale

Currently waiting for his invoice (I agreed with the $7 dollars) so hopefully no further snags?

Thanks again everyone.

I'll post when I receive my cards.

Last edited by irv; 10-03-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:15 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Just received this reply

Dear XXXX,

Not within ontario. Should be less than 10 bucks. 7 sound ok?

Your previous message

Am I reading this right? You are charging me $16 dollars to ship 2 cards within Ontario?

Dale

Currently waiting for his invoice (I agreed with the $7 dollars) so hopefully no further snags?

Thanks again everyone.

I'll post when I receive my cards.
Bingo!
Good job Irv.
It's been my experience that if you ask most sellers questions that are simple and polite you'll normally get a positive response back.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:48 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P.Johnson View Post
Bingo!
Good job Irv.
It's been my experience that if you ask most sellers questions that are simple and polite you'll normally get a positive response back.
I still haven't received my new invoice so I am not taking this to bank just yet, Daniel.

He wrote early enough last evening and I replied shortly after so I am surprised I haven't received it yet?

I know people are busy with other things so hopefully that's all it is?

Thanks for you help, Daniel.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:13 AM
D@le Irv*n

New invoice was sent and payment forwarded!
Old 10-07-2016, 04:30 PM
D@le Irv*n

My cards arrived yesterday.

A+ seller feedback left as was done for me.

Glad it worked out. Thanks again for the help/advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aaron Mathews Fence Busters.jpg (74.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Jack Jensen.jpg (78.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Jack Jensen back.jpg (76.0 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by irv; 10-07-2016 at 04:30 PM.