NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-30-2010, 09:14 AM

Default where are these?

http://www.oldcardboard.com/w/colori...?cardsetID=849 where do you find these? what are they from?i have never seen them befor
Old 10-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Jeff

They pop semi-frequently on ebay and in auctions. Have seen a few on the BST. I imagine many board members/type/player collectors on here own a few.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 10-30-2010, 12:14 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

There is actually a 1910 W-UNC Bill Carrigan on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1910W-UNC-Bill-C...item3caeb995de

This particular card was won in the May 2010 Huggins and Scott auction for $411.25 (after the auction house cost - the hammer price was $350). I have watched this one with interest because I was the second highest bidder in this particular auction.

I think it's a beautiful card. I always find uncatalogued cards to be particularly fascinating because I always wondered how they were hiding so that they weren't officially catalogued. I actually don't understand how that designation works. Does anyone know how the cataloguing process worked and when things had to be catalogued by to be considered UNC?

-Jonathan
Old 10-30-2010, 12:25 PM

why does old cardboard say that a vg common is only $50 then on ebay its $680. Is old carboard wrong about prices?
Old 10-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by esd10 View Post
why does old cardboard say that a vg common is only $50 then on ebay its $680. Is old carboard wrong about prices?
To me, that's dreaming on both the low and high end of the scale.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 10-30-2010, 01:16 PM
FredYoung

I love the sellers detailed descpt of the card---Nada!
Old 10-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default type collecting

That particular series was cut from a notebook cover. They could certainly be classified as strip cards, in a broad sense of the term, imo. I classify unknown cards as to how they were distributed or made. The catch-all is usually "H-Unc" for advertising....which can mean almost anything. If I know it came with/from a tobacco product it will be T-Unc, a candy product will be E-unc, a stamp will be ST-Unc and so on....Just the way I do it and I am sure there are others that work well too. regards
Old 10-30-2010, 01:48 PM

Here are a couple more:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1910 W Unc Byrne.jpg (38.7 KB, 993 views)
File Type: jpg 1910 W Unc Coombs.jpg (32.2 KB, 990 views)
Old 10-30-2010, 04:16 PM

so what is the real prices if i wanted to buy one?
Old 10-30-2010, 04:32 PM

I guess the answer to your question would be whatever you are willing to pay for it...
Old 10-30-2010, 08:46 PM

not $680
Old 10-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Rhett Yeakley

$680 is a totally crazy price but then again it never should have gotten a numerical grade in the first place!

These initially sold for decent money years ago BUT when they were determined to have been cut from a notebook cover it really killed the prices. I always liked them until I found that out as well. Recently, when up for sale the commons in generally G to GVG condition have sold in the $50-125 range, more if a collector of a particular player gets in the mix and drives up the price.

IMO these aren't really cards and shouldn't be considered even W-Unc as they were never intended to be cut (there is no "Hey kid cut these out" or "cut along the dotted lines" notation on the cover). They are certainly cool looking but shouldn't be considered anything more than cutouts, BUT they have been part of the hobby long enough as singles that maybe hobby history will trump common sense.

-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 10-31-2010, 01:17 PM
Dan Studebaker

Here are pictures of the Notebook. I believe this copy will be in Goodwin's next auction.

Last edited by dstudeba; 10-31-2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 10-31-2010, 01:38 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I think that distinction between strip card and not strip card is difficult to make, Rhett. I mean, W560, W565 and W590 sheets don't have cutting instructions on them. Perhaps the allure of the notebook to kids was the ability to cut them up after school was out and have a card collection?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-31-2010, 01:45 PM
David McDonald

So that's where they come from! Kinda takes a bit of the thrill out of things. Glad I only paid a minor sum for this "W-UNC" Chase.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:58 PM

The prices are all over the map on these...I agree. I got mine cheap. If enough of these were cut up and or saved by kids..then I can see it being consdiered a "collectible card" even though it may not have been intended to be.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:20 PM

how could you ever put a grade on these cards besides auth. just because one kid cut it out better then other and later in its life a collector bought a whole note book and then cut it up and sent it to psa or sgc and had it graded. this makes no sense to me.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:36 PM

+1
Old 10-31-2010, 03:05 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Adam, I pretty much agree with you. That being said, the fact that W565, W560, W504, etc. cards were the product themselves--so you paid money (presumably) to get a sheet of "cards" that you could cut out if you felt like it or not. The product with these was the notebook, and it was to be used as a notebook--probably semantics but I see a distinction there.

As I said earlier, these have been part of the hobby for a long time and have been traded as W-Unc so it is probably too late to try and say they aren't as they are known in the hobby lexicon as such.

For me personally, much like David above, when I found out where they came from I personally don't care for them anymore as single cards--I would love to own the notebook though!

-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 11-01-2010, 07:04 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Does anyone know how much the Wagner sells for?

What about a Wagner with math equations written on it because I bet in 3 months we'll see this same Wagner graded 'SGC Aut' on ebay

-Jonathan
Old 02-13-2011, 04:18 PM
John V.

I met the individual that won the Carrigan for $411 or whatever at a show reecently... he did indeed put in on EBAY for auction and it sold to someone with over 16000 feedback score, YET, as of this past weekend, he still possesses that very card. Sticker on it is over $800. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm. Out of only 4 bidders, I was one of the 'losing' bidders, and I don't think anyone was gonna win unless it hit a certain unlisted 'reserve', lets say. Funny, small world.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:09 AM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Default Notebook

FYI, One of these notebooks just sold for $575 in the Goodwin auction that closed a few days ago.

http://goodwinandco.com/LotDetail.as...tars-Notebook-
Old 02-15-2011, 07:21 AM
Rawn Hill

$800 would be more than enough to pry mine away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1910w-unc.jpg (62.4 KB, 221 views)
Old 02-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Fred

I wonder how much that notebook (from where these things came from) would sell for. You could piece it out and make a ton of $$$ if you cut out the individual images and found the right buyers. I don't consider these cards. Of course, that's just my opinion.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Dan Studebaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I wonder how much that notebook (from where these things came from) would sell for. You could piece it out and make a ton of $$$ if you cut out the individual images and found the right buyers. I don't consider these cards. Of course, that's just my opinion.
The notebook just sold for a little over $500. Yes you could cut it up and sell them individually for much more. Some people think that it is more important and valuable intact.

The market has a word for that person: Idiot.

Last edited by dstudeba; 02-15-2011 at 03:42 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-15-2011, 03:45 PM
John V.

Your authentic looks about the same as the one that got a grade.... its very oddly subjective, luck of the draw, on these strip cards. I have one that got a PSA 2 grade, very pleased... expected Authentic by default.

From an ethical standpoint, I doubt there is much more circumstantial evidence of someone having another fellow 'collector' bid on their card very high so they do NOT LOSE MONEY... that's why the card has such a ridiculous price on it and is not listed in his entire buy it now inventory, but does have it at card shows. Things got a little nervous when I started asking about it. I know of another big time Ebay seller that befriended me. I thought I had won a card from him in auction, which I didn't, so I told him at least he got more money due to my desperate attempt to win it. He admitted he had someone else bid high, and that he was just going to have to hide it away in his safe. He's not a friend anymore, I don't value that.

Ethics !

Last edited by Spartan; 02-15-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:50 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Can someone out these ebay sellers that shill? Is that allowed on the boards? I would prefer not to bid from these sellers in the future.

I won that notebook on Goodwin, and I am planning on cutting it up ...
Old 02-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Frank Wakefield

I agree with Rhett. These are pieces cut from a notebook cover, they aren't "W" anything... I've just read through Mr. Burdick's description at the beginning of his sections on the early and recent album cards and strip cards, the "W"'s. This isn't any more of a card than those photos we see cut from an old Spalding Guide or Record, then self authenticated by some huckster.

So PSA and SGC have these incorrectly labeled as "W"'s. These things aren't cards.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Glyn Parson

Default I agree

Mr Wakefield I agree 100%.
as for the person that bought the notebook to cut it up, good buy if people want the material and are willing to pay more for it that way go for it. If people dont like that you are cutting it up so long after issue maybe they should've bought it. ^The difference between the one with the grade and the one without is simple the cut line is visible all the way around on the numerically graded one it is not on the A. This is always the case with W "cards" though I agree these aren't cards. You sometimes see w cards with grades and no cut lines these shouldn't have recieved grades, except W517's that appeared on the ends of the strips will only have cut lines on one side.

Last edited by glynparson; 02-15-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:53 PM

That's right, go ahead and cut them up.

Then, when SGC and/or PSA realize these are just cut outs from a notebook and stop grading them and the price for individual cards drops while the complete notebooks keep their value or increase (because there are fewer available), who is the idiot then?

David
Old 02-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Frank Wakefield

Everyone holding slabs would be, I'd think...

But a fellow who converted a notebook cover to a bunch of slabs and then sold them for vastly more than the notebook cover cost, that fellow holding that cash would be a sharp flipper.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
So PSA and SGC have these incorrectly labeled as "W"'s. These things aren't cards.

I agree with Frank but they are nice poses and different. When these first came out I was skeptical. If the cost drops and the grading gods disapprove, I would not mind owning a few.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Baseball Cards were printed on notebooks, just like they were printed on candy boxes.

And the kids knew what to do with them, they cut them out and collected them just like their candy box relatives...

1913 W-Unc. Base Ball Series
(20 different players known in this series, all with E95 and E96 poses)
Old 02-16-2011, 07:27 AM
Glyn Parson

Default I gaurantee SGC already knows

HTML Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's right, go ahead and cut them up. 

Then, when SGC and/or PSA realize these are just cut outs from a notebook and stop grading them and the price for individual cards drops while the complete notebooks keep their value or increase (because there are fewer available), who is the idiot then?
I gaurantee the SGC guys already know their cut off notebooks.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:38 AM
Dan Studebaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
But a fellow who converted a notebook cover to a bunch of slabs and then sold them for vastly more than the notebook cover cost, that fellow holding that cash would be a sharp flipper.
Exactly like the card companies that buy bats and uniforms of players and cut them up into little pieces.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:52 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

All, I have sold the notebook to a longtime board member who is not sure what he is going to do with it until he gets it in hand but hopes to be able to keep it intact.