NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-29-2011, 03:55 PM

Default What was PSA thinking? 52' Durocher undergrade?

Just picked up a nice score I think. Got a 52 Topps Leo Durocher. Paid a bit more than book value, but when you see the scans, you'll understand why. I've no clue why this card would be graded a VG 4. No holes, creases, gum stains... The corners, color and gloss are incredible, and better than my all my PSA 6s! Honestly it's the best looking 52 I've acquired for my set, which includes 6.5s, 7s and 7.5s. What do you all think? Could this have a shot at a 7, even a 7.5?

Old 12-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Jeff

It's a great looking card.
I would have to think that there is a crease that you are not seeing.
If not it appears to be undergraded.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 12-29-2011, 04:43 PM

That was my initial thought too, but damned if I can find a crease ANYWHERE. I thought I spotted something extending downward from his chin, but it is so fine and subtle, it looks like it's underneath the paint layers, not inflicted on it, like an imperfection in the stock prior to printing. I've scoured it over, and cannot find anything that would explain why such a nice card would get a 4. I've got a 52 Nuxhall with corners more rounded than angular graded a 4...this one doesn't compare...
Old 12-30-2011, 04:14 PM
Steve

PSA just doesn't like Durocher? Ok, maybe i'm just thinking about sportswriters denying MVP awards to Ted Williams and other guys.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:38 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Default fok

Man, thats a nice looking card. psa blows
Old 01-01-2012, 11:56 AM
David M.

It looks like there might be a crease on the top of the back that doesn't show through to the front. It's difficult to tell for sure from a scan. I've tried to pick up cards like that too, that seem much nicer than the grade.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Dave Foster

If scoping it with a jeweler's loupe and putting it under a black light doesn't disclose the flaw(s), bust it out and re-sub raw. You may get lucky. Probably won't do any worse than the four slab in which it now exists.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:51 PM

Very nice card! One way to spot those elusive wrinkles (if the card has one) is to use a flashlight in a completely dark room. Aim the beam of light towards the edges of the card, so the light shines horizontally over the surface of the card. Point the flashlight towards each edge, front and back. If the card has a wrinkle, it should cast a shadow from the flashlight, and should appear much more evident to the naked eye. Either your card has a wrinkle, or PSA saw an indentation that you can't see, or they undergraded that card.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:28 AM
Scott

This is an example of the over importance of "TPG". This is a BEAUTIFUL card. So what if it may have a tiny wrinkle or something? Unless someone is a real nut on condition, that card would fit into many top end collections.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Steve

Good point, Scott. It would be silly to get that anal over a basically invisible flaw, if that's what's really going on with the card.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:42 PM

I decided to crack the card, and send it off. Worst case is it comes back the same way it came. Looking at it with a loupe I could see a fine line under his chin, which was probably why they knocked it down a bit, but I still think a 4 is a bit low. I think this should realistically make 5, MAYBE a 6 on a good day.

In the end though, as they say, buy the card not the plastic. People who do the latter get burned, like the poor sucker who paid nearly $8000 on ebay last week for a bogus Mantle in a cracked holder.

Grade be damned, it's a beautiful card, and since my focus is centering, I'll take this over any number of superior graded, off centered examples. It was worth the money.

Thanks all, and I'll update you when I get the results in!