NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-22-2014, 03:16 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default Ghost Overprints and Stone Lithography

Say that five times fast.

The ghost overprints always fascinated me. So cool... so detailed. Obviously "printed"/"pressed" and not like other transfer remnants from wet ink, humidity, water, etc. Here's Chris' Chance from the "Show your favorite" thread

I always wondered how the mirror image could get printed onto the back of the card. I finally did some google searching on "stone lithography" and saw a watched a few videos. What I learned is that there is at least two types of transfer from the stone: direct and off-set (I believe this is the term).

In the direct transfer, the paper is placed directly onto the stone, as in this video.
In the offset transfer, the image is transfered from the stone to a rubber (or similar) roller, and that roller transfers the image to the paper, as in this video.

So, the only way for us to get these ghost overprints is if offset printing is used, and the paper was placed directly on the stone, right? Maybe this is all known stuff, but I could never noodle it out as I didn't know about this indirect (offset) transfer method.

Hopefully Steve B will chime in... and the title of the thread should guarantee it.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:25 PM
And.rew Whi.te

The ghost overprint looks damn cool and even looks more like an actual photo to me than it does the normal drawings these cards normally are made of.

So...question for those who know so much more about this than I do...which really isnt hard since I know nothing about the printing process. It appears the ghost overprint does not have the team name printed on it. Was the word "Cubs" added later in the printing process?

Last edited by whitehse; 08-22-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:49 PM
George E.

does that mean both techniques must have been used in some manner? otherwise how do you get a reverse image of the same stone?
Old 08-22-2014, 04:13 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I don't know that T206s are stone lithographs, but that's really just a mnor technicality because its merely a matter of what the printing plate was made out of (limestone versus metal). Doesn't change the printing process or theories. As noted transfer lithography, which involves an intermediary step, allowed an image to be backward or foreword. I suspect they originally introduced it so the original art could be made normal instead of backwards. The artists didn't have to draw in reverse left to right.

The exact cause of specific ghosts are a mystery to me, and different ghosts may be the result of different situations. But, between wet transfers and transfer printing, it's definitely possible to get the reversed images.

Have to admit the first time I saw a ghost my first reaction was it was fake because the image was reversed, but I have no reason to disbelieve it now.

Last edited by drcy; 08-22-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:31 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Quote:
Originally Posted by abothebear View Post
does that mean both techniques must have been used in some manner? otherwise how do you get a reverse image of the same stone?
I don't think so... if the off-set method is used, then the stone is image looks just like the actual card (not reversed). It's transferred to a rubber roller, which at that point IS reversed, and then transferred again to the paper reversing it a second time to essentially "un-reverse" it.

I think the ghost overprint has to be an instance where the paper was pressed on the original stone, thereby reversing the image.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:08 PM
Steve Birmingham

In either type of offset press (Stone or plate) the paper shouldn't come in contact with the plate. Those very clear offsets are usually from a misfeed causing the offset blanket to print to the impression roller which is a nice smooth steel. If it's a minor misfeed and the press isn't stopped then the next sheet gets an impression from both the blanket and the impression cylinder.

The paper does sometimes contact the plate. But it's a bigger problem, and the result looks awful. And nearly always ends up in the round file. Basically the paper or what's left of that sheet gets inked, and prints a nearly solid layer of that color to the next sheet. If there is one. The sort of jam usually involves the paper tearing or peeling so some winds around the blanket.

I still haven't quite figured out if they were done with stones or plates. I'm almost positive the backs were done with stones. But I'm less certain of the fronts.

Steve B
Old 08-22-2014, 08:14 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I don't know that T206s are stone lithographs, but that's really just a mnor technicality because its merely a matter of what the printing plate was made out of (limestone versus metal). Doesn't change the printing process or theories. As noted transfer lithography, which involves an intermediary step, allowed an image to be backward or foreword. I suspect they originally introduced it so the original art could be made normal instead of backwards. The artists didn't have to draw in reverse left to right.

The exact cause of specific ghosts are a mystery to me, and different ghosts may be the result of different situations. But, between wet transfers and transfer printing, it's definitely possible to get the reversed images.

Have to admit the first time I saw a ghost my first reaction was it was fake because the image was reversed, but I have no reason to disbelieve it now.
The other reason for transfer lithography is that the paper is usually very slightly abrasive. Printing to the intermediate rubber roller reduces plate wear.
It's also usually a drier process than direct lithography.

Direct lithography is still used for art prints. Plate wear isn't usually a big deal if you're only doing a few hundred impressions (Or less) And a good manual printer can control the inking better especially if there's an area that's troublesome. Like the thin space between the frame lines of the Piedmont backs which are sometimes filled in because of the plate drying out a bit too much

Steve B
Old 08-22-2014, 08:53 PM
Jeff Lowe

I don't know much about lithography either but that seems to be a big process to use both stone and metal for one sheet of cards .
Old 08-23-2014, 05:19 PM
Steve Birmingham

It's not usually both in production. More modern stuff except art is always metal plates.

But metal plates were fairly new in 1909-10, And a lot was still done using stones as the plates. Figuring out which was used is very hard.

At the time a lot of the plates were laid out using transfers which were probably printed from stones. A lot of the stones that are still around have multiple items on them, like billheads from 3-4 different companies, or parts of labels from unrelated brands.

Steve B
Old 08-24-2014, 08:42 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default little sumptin

from my collection. Circa 1910's stone featuring tintags and believe it or not - images of Colgan's Chips containers. When they no longer used them - they sometimes would end up in fills and driveways! These later stones @ around 10" x 12" were easier to minipulate than the earlier ones - stones that were much "chunkier" and heavier. Utilizing multiple color passes would require multiple pressings - no easy task especially in lining up the correct scheme.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (76.6 KB, 271 views)

Last edited by 1880nonsports; 08-24-2014 at 08:43 AM. Reason: forgot pic :-)
Old 08-24-2014, 04:00 PM
Archive

Just curious if you bought that stone at one of the Cleveland Nationals (2007 or 2009)?

Looks like the same stone I had the chance to buy and passed on. Wish I hadn't.

Jantz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Litho stone.jpg (76.6 KB, 242 views)
Old 08-24-2014, 09:44 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default yup

think it was 2007. Think I bought it from my friend Glenn. Getting it home on the plane was bitch as they said it could be a weapon and couldn't go as carry-on. Besides the fear of it breaking - my cargo bag was already at the weight limit and my flight about to take off.
I'm probably going to have it placed in a sort of iron armature or brace so that it can be safely stood upright and maybe even swivel. Of course I had the same thought 7 years ago and although it's moved once or twice - it remains in the same state as when I bought it.
Reminds me of a quote I recently encountered here - Aesop - when all is said and done - more is said than done...
Old 05-19-2015, 03:33 PM

awesome!
Old 05-19-2015, 03:35 PM

ahhh 07
Old 05-19-2015, 03:51 PM
Rob.ert Bal.ke

image.jpg
Old 05-19-2015, 04:12 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Interesting stuff. I always figured that the really crisp, clear ghosts resulted from some sort of issue in the press itself while the gauzier ones were wet sheet transfers. I'd guess this is a wet sheet transfer:

And this is some sort of press f#$@-up:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-19-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:56 PM
Rob.ert Bal.ke

image.jpg
Old 05-20-2015, 09:59 PM

Default Great thread....

I love my Weimer
Old 05-21-2015, 09:21 AM
Scott Mt. Joy

Nice Pic Adam, here is another-

Old 05-21-2015, 11:29 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Old platinum print photos had a tendency to leave transfer or 'ghost' print on any paper that had been against it, such as in a book or folder.