NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Default Picked up nice old team photo at rural Maine auction this week, any ideas as to ID?

Posted By: T E

Measures a tad over 9 1/2 by 7 1/2. Perhaps the closeup of the equipment will help date the thing, seeing as how catcher's mask is in front of catcher in the grass. Note all the black-eyed daisys or susans or whatever they are called all around. Intitials TFW...hmmm...auction was inland, away from all those pushy coast types!

Photo is matted on a board about 1/8 inch thick

Old 02-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Default Picked up nice old team photo at rural Maine auction this week, any ideas as to ID?

Any HOFs from Maine I should be looking for?

Old 02-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

T E- how do you get from Montauk to Maine? Do you go via Shelter Island, and then take the ferry to New London?

Old 02-19-2007, 02:16 PM
Administrator

You know the route. 114. Great off-season. Just fly. Although I jumped a turn on a stop sign in Greenport only to find myself staring at a rather unsympathetic cop. He said, "That is a stop sign, not a slow down sign." I actually started to argue with him when a light went on in my head, and I said, "I apologize, officer."

Did the trip there one day, back the next, bit to fast of a turn-around for these old bones.
Tom

Old 02-19-2007, 02:51 PM
Administrator

I've only taken the New London ferry once, but we spend a lot of time on Shelter Island. I love 114 because it twists and turns endlessly until you get from the south to north ferry. And right at the end of 114 on your left is the Chequit Hotel, we go there often in the warm weather for lunch.

Getting back to your question about the photo, it looks like a town team and don't think you will find any HOFers in it. But it's always nice to pick up something like that antiquing.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Yeah, I was LOL when I asked about HOFs, I had the same take on the item as you. I don't expect to find bb stuff at auction in rural New England these days, always a gas when it turns up, even in this form.

I do hope, but doubt, that anyone can shed some info on this team.

There is one short-cut I know of on 114 on Shelter, but you have to watch out for the deer!

In that vein, I've got an expectant mare in my yard daily, munching on the frozen grass I didn't bother to mow late last fall. But I do enjoy watching her graze as I type.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Administrator

We had two fawns prancing through our yard last spring. They were very cute, other than the fact all the deer are destroying our landscaping.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

I would suggest the team is __________ Foundry Works or something simliar. most of these company teams had their intials on the uniform. I just listed a cabinet on ebay with the company info on the back, the uniforms carried the intials. Some area searches of Foundry companies from the 19th century may prove fruitful.

Scott

Old 02-20-2007, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Will google away a little later today. What is your seller ID, if you are allowed to say on this board? I'd like to see your auction for ideas, as I will be going the same route with this guy.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

There are deer in Brooklyn???

Old 02-20-2007, 07:30 AM
Administrator

No deer in Brooklyn, they could never negotiate the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway...my wife and I own a home in Sag Harbor, in eastern Long Island. We unfortunately have a deer epidemic out there- they are destroying property, running across busy roads and getting killed, and it's a major topic of discussion. But nobody knows what to do about it.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Despres Louis

I grew up in Maine. Just curious as to where in Maine you considered to be "rural"? By the way, nice piece.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

About three years ago I almost hit a deer in Sag Harbor. It was mid November and dusky and I missed it by about an inch-it was just bounding across the road. One of my scariest driving moments ever.....it would have destroyed our van if I had hit it.

Dave

Old 02-20-2007, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

My 22 year old son totaled his car on a deer this fall. he hit the deer at 55 or so. Blew out all his windows on the drivers side, ripped off the rear view mirror and through it through the rear window. The deer was slit wide open from the neck to the hip. Dead before it hit the road. He normally drives with his arm out the window, but he luckily wasn't or he might be the next Pete Gray. Our yard is completely covered with deer tracks. My puppy loves to sniff them. I believe deer are not going extinct any time soon. They are everywhere. At night it gets very dangerous around here while driving.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Dave- when I'm at the house and I get up early to drive for the newspaper, I usually see dead deer on the side of the road. I've never hit one but once the car in front of us did- the deer flipped in the air but was only injured and managed to run away. Sag Harbor is one of the worst areas. When I get up in the morning there are typically 6-8 deer on our property eating up the shrubbery that cost us a fortune to plant. Very disturbing, and we may have to surround ourselves with a deer fence.

Added to say Mike, thank god your son was okay from that collision!

Old 02-20-2007, 09:03 AM
Administrator

It is impossible to live on east end of LI and not at some point hit a deer. My hits have been, as far as I know, non-fatal for all parties involved. You have to be really aware of them off season and be ready to brake. You watch for deer more than you watch oncoming traffic.

Only solution would be to reintroduce cougars into east end. After finnishing the deer, they could turn to Martha Stewart, Barefoot Countessa and Puffy Combs. Roar, cougars, roar!

Despres Louis, rural to me is away from the coast. I'm frequently in Augusta, and I work my way north from there. One of the prettiest drives in America is 201 north to Jackman. But, s-s-s-h, don't tell anyone...

Old 02-20-2007, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Thanks Barry for your kind thoughts. He's a great son. You'd like him. He's 22 has landed a great job with Medtronics. he's got his head on straight. It was scarey. he had a ton of glass in his hair and ears. For the life of me, I can't figure out how he didn't get any in his eyes..

And T.E. what about Rachel Ray ? I bet she'd be great with deer...

Old 02-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

One way to solve a deer problem is to circulate good recipes.