NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-14-2014, 09:53 PM
Michael calv.ello

Default 1889 Indianapolis Hoosiers Original Photo

Another pickup. Cabinet style photograph with young Amos Rusie (Front Right).
Need help again to it's value. Picked this up this evening along with the 1909 Pittsburg (Pittsburgh) Team photo. I was told that the Pittsburg (Pittsburgh) Team photo sold for $3,000 in 2007 Huggins & Scott Auction. Thanks for that info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1860.jpg (77.7 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg hoosier.jpg (74.9 KB, 269 views)

Last edited by Leon; 07-15-2014 at 08:07 AM. Reason: added back pic
Old 07-15-2014, 06:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think it will be tough to guess some values as the photos are so unique. If the team one sold for 3k'ish I would think this one would be a little less. Maybe others will know more as that is just a guess. Cool pic though..
Old 07-15-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAJOY91 View Post
Another pickup. Cabinet style photograph with young Amos Rusie (Front Right).
How do you know the identity of the team? Is there information written on the back? (If so, you should scan and post that on this thread.) ETA: This was written before the scan was added.

The uniforms don't match the uniforms worn by Hoosier players in other photos taken in 1887-89, when this was a major league team. That doesn't mean that your photo can't be the Indianapolis Hoosiers, since teams did have more than one uniform, it just means that you need some supporting evidence for the claim.

I've posted here a photo (that I do not own) of the 1889 Indianapolis Hoosiers. I believe that this was taken at a road game. They wore solid dark socks and the shirts had "INDIANAPOLIS" across the chest:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1889 NL Indianapolis.jpg (43.3 KB, 274 views)

Last edited by RUKen; 07-15-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:20 AM
Michael calv.ello

Thanks leon. I agree.
I have two long time dealers/collectors looking at this photo along with the 1909 pittsburgh team photo. I will post their appraised value on both later.

Here's the back of this photo with the identity of this team.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1865.jpg (79.0 KB, 274 views)
Old 07-15-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Here's the back of this photo with the identity of this team.
Now I'm really skeptical. It says "Baseball team coached by Wilder Stoddard Buffam". Wilder Stoddard Buffam was not the manager/captain of the 1889 Indianapolis Hoosiers; they were managed by Frank Bancroft and Jack Glasscock. Someone by the name of Wilder Stoddard Buffam did live in the United States from 1853 to 1933, but I cannot find information about any connection to baseball. A second man by this name died in 1948; according to his obituary he had graduated from Amherst College in 1884 and was a lawyer and a farmer.

Someone else wrote "(Front Right)(Young Amos Rouse [sic])(to N.Y. Giants and H.O.F.)". Rusie was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1977, so this inscription could not have been made before then.

In the same hand, it is also written "Famous Coach of Indianapolis Team Satchel Paige. Later coached N.Y. Giants, 1908." Satchel Paige was born in 1906, so this is hard to understand. The Giants in 1908 were managed by John McGraw, and it would be another year before McGraw hired Arlie Latham and Wilbert Robinson to be coaches; before then, a player who was not in the lineup served as the first base coach and McGraw himself usually coached at third base when the Giants batted.

Anyway, it is a nice photo of a 19th Century (or perhaps early 20th Century) baseball team in a carriage, and the photo has value that can be appraised by others, but I do not see evidence that it is the 1889 Indianapolis Hoosiers.

(Your Pirates composite is undeniably the real deal.)

Last edited by RUKen; 07-15-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:45 AM

You are correct there are two Wilder Stoddard Buffum's in the U.S. circa 1889, each living in the Northeast and no signs of them having a connection to the Indianapolis BB team. More likely a Vermont or Massachusetts town team of some type.

Last edited by sb1; 07-15-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:46 AM
Michael calv.ello

I RESEARCH THIS. IT'S NOT WHAT IT SAYS, I AGREE I COULD HAVE GOTTEN IT WRONG. THAT'S WHY I PUT IT UP THERE. COULD THIS PHOTO BE EARLIER THEN 1889 . MY RESEARCH SHOWS RUSIE PLAYING FOR THE Indianapolis Hoosiers IN 1889. I JUST ASSUMED IT TO BE FROM THAT TIME PERIOD. PLEASE PROVIDE MORE INFO

Last edited by EVAJOY91; 07-15-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I RESEARCH THIS. IT'S NOT WHAT IT SAYS, I AGREE I COULD HAVE GOTTEN IT WRONG. THAT'S WHY I PUT IT UP THERE. COULD THIS PHOTO BE EARLIER THEN 1889 . MY RESEARCH SHOWS RUSIE PLAYING FOR THE Indianapolis Hoosiers IN 1889. I JUST ASSUMED IT TO BE FROM THAT TIME PERIOD. PLEASE PROVIDE MORE INFO
We're just trying to help; no reason to go all capitals on us.

I think that the Rusie I.D. is also suspect; the inscription was made in 1977 or later, and the players in the photo are too small to make a positive identification. Quite often, old photos of baseball teams are said to have a famous player among the group when there is no supporting evidence for that player's inclusion.

The "Wilder Stoddard Buffam" identification may be authentic, and finding out which team was coached by this person is the key to solving this mystery. It wasn't a team in organized baseball--Buffam is not listed in Baseball_Reference.com .
Old 07-15-2014, 08:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Be careful. Understand there is something called a "Caps Lock" key and slow down a little. All capital letters looks like you are yelling . I locked the duplicate thread and added a pic to the first post in this thread.
Good luck..
Old 07-15-2014, 09:04 AM
Brock

Quote:
Why it seems when people reply with information and you don't like the info they provided. You just reject it and stuff. Like with your FIREMENS belt, several members said it was a FIREMENS and not a baseball. But you replied back rejecting it being a firemens.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:52 AM
J!m.b0n0v!ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
Why it seems when people reply with information and you don't like the info they provided. You just reject it and stuff. Like with your FIREMENS belt, several members said it was a FIREMENS and not a baseball. But you replied back rejecting it being a firemens.
He did something very similar with his Fenway Park piece thread. Very off-putting.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:17 PM
J@son M1ller

Post a large pic of the team itself, closeup of the team in the carriage and we can help. It's too small to tell anything. From the faraway view, it looks like they could be kids or high school age.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:35 PM
Kevin O'Gara

by the way it's still a firemans belt