NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 03-21-2018, 08:39 AM
Al Jurgela

Default Billy Meredith Rookies

For those of you who did not read through the Top Soccer cards thread, I promised to post some Billy Meredith cards. He was one of the first superstars. You can read more about him at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Meredith

With the cards. I consider his rookie card to be the 1901 "Meredith at Work" card. But the first time that you can see his face is on the 1902 Clarke & Son and WE & HO Will's cards. Those have both "regular" versions and some that were printed in violet for whatever reason The "violet" versions appear much less frequently. While all these cards are amazing, I believe that the three preferred Meredith cards are the 1907 Taddy, 1910 Cope's Clips (Blue cards), and the Cope's Solace card. So these are certainly the most valuable in the UK (which should know something about rarity and desirability). I think that they are most desired because of the scarcity of the issues themselves and aesthetics. So I would have have a problem putting any Meredith rookie on my Mt. Rushmore of soccer cards. When discussing UK cards, I would likely give preference to the Dixie Dean rookie or the George Best rookie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Billy Meredith_0001.jpg (76.3 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Billy Meredith_0002.jpg (76.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg Billy Meredith_0003.jpg (77.0 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Billy Meredith_0004.jpg (75.3 KB, 110 views)
Old 03-21-2018, 09:32 AM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

All beautiful cards, thanks for sharing. Do you own them?

I don’t consider the 1901 a RC because it is a subset/action card, but it’s nice too. The Wills is my favorite aesthetically. And I’m a City fan so I prefer his early issues
Old 03-21-2018, 02:11 PM
Al Jurgela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anish View Post
All beautiful cards, thanks for sharing. Do you own them?

I don’t consider the 1901 a RC because it is a subset/action card, but it’s nice too. The Wills is my favorite aesthetically. And I’m a City fan so I prefer his early issues
Yes Anish. All of the cards that I post are from my personal collection. I fully understand that you do not consider In-Action cards as rookies. That is fair enough. You are certainly entitled to your opinion and thoughts! Best, Al
Old 03-22-2018, 12:49 AM
Ciaran

Thanks for posting these.

My interest is football / soccer and my memorabilia collection is reasonable, albeit cards are not a part of my collection.

I’ve always thought that, if I did venture into cards, I would collect some of the Spanish issues from the 1920s and 1930s - beautiful cards from an important period of Spanish history and can generally be purchased for very low prices in relative terms.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:11 AM
Al Jurgela

Default I agree... I love many of the Spanish cards from the 1920s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulidia View Post
Thanks for posting these.

My interest is football / soccer and my memorabilia collection is reasonable, albeit cards are not a part of my collection.

I’ve always thought that, if I did venture into cards, I would collect some of the Spanish issues from the 1920s and 1930s - beautiful cards from an important period of Spanish history and can generally be purchased for very low prices in relative terms.

And they have a number of great stars like Alcantara & Zamora. I will post some of those cards at some point. Good luck with your collecting!
Old 03-22-2018, 09:40 AM
Ciaran

Thank you - the good wishes are appreciated as I flew to Madrid today with the purpose of completing a (relatively) big transaction of Real Madrid memorabilia.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:06 PM
Al Jurgela

Default Real Madrid

Quote:
Thank you - the good wishes are appreciated as I flew to Madrid today with the purpose of completing a (relatively) big transaction of Real Madrid memorabilia.
Very cool! Any Di Stefano or Puskas items? If so, please post them!
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 03-22-2018, 08:30 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Rookie card or not, I don't like the "Meredith at work" card. I prefer his 1902 issues instead. As for his best-looking card, I would have to go with the 1910 Cope's Clips.

Nice cards, Al.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:47 AM
Al Jurgela

Default Cope Clips Meredith

I mentioned that I would post this one, so here it is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Billy Meredith Cope Clips.jpg (22.8 KB, 83 views)
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 03-30-2018, 03:00 PM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

That Wills SGC 8 is STUNNING! I have two copies, but they're both around VG.

Do you consider 1902 Wills (or Clarke's) to be the first football card set? I believe there are a few rugby cards in there, but they describe it as a "football" series unlike the other multi-sport sets from around that time.

Also, I see that PSA dates the Ogden's cards as 1902, so the Meredith "at work" may not precede the others.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:27 PM
Al Jurgela

Default Ogden's cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anish View Post
That Wills SGC 8 is STUNNING! I have two copies, but they're both around VG.

Do you consider 1902 Wills (or Clarke's) to be the first football card set? I believe there are a few rugby cards in there, but they describe it as a "football" series unlike the other multi-sport sets from around that time.

Also, I see that PSA dates the Ogden's cards as 1902, so the Meredith "at work" may not precede the others.
There are earlier football cards, certainly. A complete dedicated set, I am unsure except perhaps the Guinea Gold. Personally, the Circus girl cards are my favorites, but that is all sports.

The Cohen Weenen set from 1897 is good (which includes Cricket and Jockeys). The Guinea Gold set from 1897 is mostly or just footballers, I think.

I see that the grading companies get a bit confused with the Ogden's and there are a ton of different sets. I try to use this site as much as possible to date and identify them. There are a bunch of sets that are just footballers and a bunch of "General Interest" ones.

https://cartophilic-info-exch.blogsp...r-leading.html

https://cartophilic-info-exch.blogsp...terest-95.html

This is the particular set and they do believe that 1902 is the right date for this one:

https://cartophilic-info-exch.blogsp...est-95-02.html

However, you can see that www.rookiesoccercards.com believe that this set (which also includes Steve Bloomer) Here is an excerpt:

"Ogden Tabs' General Interest Series C 1900. Often misdated as 1902, the 1900 dates is far more accurate due to the inclusion of John Goodall for Derby (Goodall left Derby in 1900)"

https://www.rookiesoccercards.com/bl...steve-834.html

Here is my favorite Circus Girl card (GO Smith).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Key Soccer Cards Scans_0005.jpg (78.5 KB, 65 views)
Old 04-21-2018, 01:58 AM
Ciaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljurgela View Post
Very cool! Any Di Stefano or Puskas items? If so, please post them!
Apologies for delay as only got round to fully sorting through photos of my most recent trip today.

I did not buy any items relating to Di Stefanie or Puskas. However, I spent quite a lot of time at the Bernabeu Stadium museum. Interestingly, there isn’t too much relating to Puskas on display but there is, of course, of Di Stefano and other Real Madrid greats through the years such as Gento of the same era and Juanito, the idol of the 1970s and 1980s.

Below are pictures I took of two items on display - an early Di Stefano identity card and, more importantly, his first ever contract entered into with Real Madrid in 1953. In football / soccer terms, I cannot instinctively think of a more important player contract given both his impact on Real Madrid’s position in European and World football and, also, the political controversy of this contract given he had initially signed for Barcelona until intervention by the Franco-led Spanish Government ultimately saw him go to Real instead.

http://61_D88_CC6_F550_4902_8358_4866_C99_FFB88

http://34_FA7_FF8_BAFE_4171_9364_F3444_CE10795

Last edited by Ulidia; 04-21-2018 at 01:59 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:29 PM
Al Jurgela

Default Very Cool !!! Wow!!!

Quote:
Apologies for delay as only got round to fully sorting through photos of my most recent trip today.

I did not buy any items relating to Di Stefanie or Puskas. However, I spent quite a lot of time at the Bernabeu Stadium museum. Interestingly, there isn’t too much relating to Puskas on display but there is, of course, of Di Stefano and other Real Madrid greats through the years such as Gento of the same era and Juanito, the idol of the 1970s and 1980s.

Below are pictures I took of two items on display - an early Di Stefano identity card and, more importantly, his first ever contract entered into with Real Madrid in 1953. In football / soccer terms, I cannot instinctively think of a more important player contract given both his impact on Real Madrid’s position in European and World football and, also, the political controversy of this contract given he had initially signed for Barcelona until intervention by the Franco-led Spanish Government ultimately saw him go to Real instead.

http://61_D88_CC6_F550_4902_8358_4866_C99_FFB88

http://34_FA7_FF8_BAFE_4171_9364_F3444_CE10795
Those items are amazing!!
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards