NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-20-2015, 10:54 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default Most valuable sports ball

All, I had a question posed to me and not sure I know. WhT is the most valuable ball extant in the sports memorabilia world? I would like your opinion on one we know exists and one in theory. Examples.. Immaculate receipttion, Maris 61st . Wilts 100th pt, babes called shot..ect. Please try to be objective as it relates to value vs what you would like to own for whatever reason. Thanks for your help! Ben

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 01-20-2015, 11:10 AM
Belltown Vintage

There was an article recently about 'the catch' football - I think it might be the most valuable football that we 'know' exists. In theory, I would say either the first forward pass ball or a ball from the Army-Notre Dame game in 1913 where the forward pass had it's 'coming out' day, Knute Rockne receiving most of the catches.

I don't know about baseball - just too many theoretical balls that would be huge, and I am not sure what really exists.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:27 PM
$cotty @.utin

I agree with Scott, but ill be surprised if anything from the 1913 A-ND game exists.

Here is a ball from the "Win one for the Gipper" game. Any footballs go for a higher amount?

http://http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2004/712.html

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football

Last edited by smotan_02; 01-20-2015 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Even with a graduate level education i Can't post a website
Old 01-20-2015, 01:43 PM
Graig Kreindler

I think for baseball, in addition to anything Ruthian, you've gotta really consider Bobby Thomson's home run ball. Still after all of these years, even if the Giants had 'help' from Herman Franks, it's gotta be the most famous home run in baseball history. Russ Hodges' legendary call doesn't hurt that myth either, if you ask me.

But I think your assessment of Ruth's called shot or Maris' 61st are both great contenders. Maybe the Buckner ball? Fisk's homer? Kirk Gibson's? Maybe those are less desirable because they're modern? Or maybe they have even more appeal because there are still plenty of people alive who actually witnessed those moments?

Dammit, I can't decide.

Graig
Old 01-20-2015, 01:52 PM
Belltown Vintage

A ball from a deliberately botched play during the 1919 World Series?
Old 01-20-2015, 02:19 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Thank you for your responses. I wanted to see if someone could come up with something bigger than called shot ball that I didn't think of. I posed the question as a good friend of mine asked me for my thought. I thought I would open to the forum. I have what I need(just me)now thank you... Oh.. I need this. That was my quick attempt to quote steve Martin in "the jerk". Thanks again for your responses gents.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 01-20-2015, 04:44 PM
Richard Simon

Lelands offered $1,000,000 for the Thomson ball. Got them a lot of publicity (nice move Josh) but I am sure they would have paid that for the Thomson ball. Cannot think of another baseball that would sell for that much.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-20-2015, 05:15 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

McGwire's 70th homerun ball sold for over $3 million with the juice.... I know its now worth about $25,000 but it did sell for that much. I believe that was the most ever paid.

I agree with Richard, Thompson's "shot heard round the world" would probably fetch a huge sum if they could authenticate it. There was a show on TV about trying to track it down. I can't remember what channel or what it was called. The consensus was that a nun from upstate New York came back to visit her family in Brooklyn I think. She was a huge baseball fan and managed to make it to the game in the left field seats. They said she ended up with it and had it for a while but they think she just gave it away or to some kids to play with.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears

Last edited by mcgwirecom; 01-20-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:25 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
McGwire's 70th homerun ball sold for over $3 million with the juice.... I know its now worth about $25,000 but it did sell for that much. I believe that was the most ever paid.
Is that the biggest bust of all time? Has anyone ever overspent more or wasted more on a single item? I can't immediately think of anything that's been a bigger bust.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:31 PM

Not that is could ever be proven at the actual ball but what about Ruth's called Home Run?
Old 01-20-2015, 07:06 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

I agree with Richard, Thompson's "shot heard round the world" would probably fetch a huge sum if they could authenticate it. There was a show on TV about trying to track it down. I can't remember what channel or what it was called. The consensus was that a nun from upstate New York came back to visit her family in Brooklyn I think. She was a huge baseball fan and managed to make it to the game in the left field seats. They said she ended up with it and had it for a while but they think she just gave it away or to some kids to play with.[/QUOTE]

There is a book about hunting down the Thompson ball and which the above documentary is based on. It is called "Miracle Ball" and us one one my favorite baseball books. Think CSI meets Ken Burnes baseball. I would highly recommend it to any fan.
As far as the conclusion to the ball the nun never revealed the ball to anyone until after her death. Then her worldly possessions, which was kept in a shoe box, was given to her sister. Her sisters sons recall their mom throwing the box into a landfill in California. Talk about the intimate find dumpster diving.

As far as prices realized I think Fisk's ball was just auctioned off in REA last spring. I forget the final price realized.

Drew

Last edited by almostdone; 01-20-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:24 PM
Jordan Gluck

While all of the following that y'all mentioned were good answers none of those would be the most expensive the most expensive is…….. The DEATH BALL.

That would be the baseball that Carl Mays pitched that killed Ray Chapman. It is owned by someone I believe is in South Florida.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:24 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

How about first pitch ball of jackie robinsons first ab?
Old 01-20-2015, 07:37 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
How about first pitch ball of jackie robinsons first ab?
One of the big auction houses recently had a ball from that game. It came from the umpire who also had his debut in that game. I'm sure it wasn't the first pitch to Jackie, but who knows?

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Old 01-20-2015, 07:37 PM
Belltown Vintage

Since Ben has what he wants, I'll go a little off-track. When I saw Kearse fire the winning catch football from Sunday's game, into the stands, I wondered what happened to it. Today they told us: a 20-yr old unemployed kid who is heading to jail caught it. He plans to give it back to Kearse.

Regarding "the catch", the SF ball boy gave Clarke "a" ball after the game, and Clarke always assumed he had the correct ball. He did not. The ball boy later sold it. Clarke wasn't all that happy when he found out. Not sure where it is now.

Just thinking aloud here (and I know Ben said not to go in this direction), if I were a Steeler fan I would like to have the ball that Jackie Smith dropped in the Super Bowl.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:38 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamgluck View Post
While all of the following that y'all mentioned were good answers none of those would be the most expensive the most expensive is…….. The DEATH BALL.

That would be the baseball that Carl Mays pitched that killed Ray Chapman. It is owned by someone I believe is in South Florida.

I think Geppi's had that at one time.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:01 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector View Post
Is that the biggest bust of all time? Has anyone ever overspent more or wasted more on a single item? I can't immediately think of anything that's been a bigger bust.
I am friends with McFarlane's brother in law. I asked him how they felt about this perception. It was explained to me that although he is a huge fan he is a businessman as well. The purchase of the ball resulted in valuable publicity for his company. After the purchase he appeared on many network TV shows which generated free advertising for his business. I am certain that the time he spent on TV being interviewed about the ball was far more valuable to his company than the money spent on the ball. I can only imagine what that amount of network advertising would cost. Ironically people are still talking about the purchase of the ball because it has been devalued by the PED stigma attached to it which of course is continued free publicity. The investment in the ball paid for itself in free advertising and continues to do so.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 01-20-2015, 08:28 PM
Joe

Very interesting. I clearly never thought of it that way. I imagine then that Todd has no regrets, as the purchase was part of a collection that has great notoriety and was the springboard for his toys company and other big business deals. I think Todd also has Sosa's 66 and Bond's 73...among others.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:41 PM

Great points, Mike. Not too many people knew who McFarlane (or his company) was prior to him buying the ball.

PS- I was sitting in the front row at that live auction, back then it was exhilarating, and that ball and auction was all the buzz.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 01-20-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamgluck View Post

Man, I can't even imagine wanting to own that ball at any price, IMHO...
Old 01-21-2015, 05:43 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I'd buy it Scott LOL!

Old 01-21-2015, 08:15 PM
Brendan Mullen

Why would Bobby Thompsons ball be worth more than Bill Mazeroski's ball?? A serious question; I'm curious?
Old 01-21-2015, 09:24 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Great points, Mike. Not too many people knew who McFarlane (or his company) was prior to him buying the ball.

PS- I was sitting in the front row at that live auction, back then it was exhilarating, and that ball and auction was all the buzz.
I was working for Guernseys at that auction. I worked with consignors and cataloged all the items. I spent some time with the owner of the ball.
There was a lot of speculation about how high the ball would go.
I knew the lines of credit that a few people had and I knew it would go for over $1 million.
On auction night I was in charge of the phone bank.
We had a couple of friends of employees who came in for the night to help and I was handing out assignments. A young lady was sitting next to my seat and I gave her the assignment for only one bidder as she appeared to be quite nervous.
I sat next to her, handling six bidders. Guess who wound up talking to Todd .
She handled it like a pro.
Todd was bidding against some individuals from a tie making company as the bidding went past $1 million. The tie company sold individually designed ties (designed by athletes) and wanted to put a coupon in one of their tie boxes. The coupon was good for the baseball. But they were hemming and hawing over every bid. Todd just banged out his bids through the young woman on the phone. I knew he would not stop and that he would get the ball.
It was quite a night.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-21-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:28 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
Why would Bobby Thompsons ball be worth more than Bill Mazeroski's ball?? A serious question; I'm curious?
You should ask Lelands. They made the offer for the Thomson ball. I have not heard anyone make an offer for the Maz ball.
I think it would have something to do with the entire 1951 season and the playoff being so dramatic. Not that Maz was not dramatic.
--
Old 01-22-2015, 06:35 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Bobby Thomson's baseball.....wherever it is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
I think for baseball, in addition to anything Ruthian, you've gotta really consider Bobby Thomson's home run ball. Still after all of these years, even if the Giants had 'help' from Herman Franks, it's gotta be the most famous home run in baseball history. Russ Hodges' legendary call doesn't hurt that myth either, if you ask me.

But I think your assessment of Ruth's called shot or Maris' 61st are both great contenders. Maybe the Buckner ball? Fisk's homer? Kirk Gibson's? Maybe those are less desirable because they're modern? Or maybe they have even more appeal because there are still plenty of people alive who actually witnessed those moments?

Dammit, I can't decide.

Graig
For all of you big sports buffs (meaning EVERYONE on here), you MUST read this book:

"Miracle Ball: My Hunt for the Shot Heard 'Round the World" by Biegel & Peter Thomas Fornatale (Author).

INCREDIBLE true mystery surrounding the "Shot heard round the world".

Peace, mike

PS This is my choice for $$$$$ sports ball.

Last edited by vthobby; 01-22-2015 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:54 AM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
For all of you big sports buffs (meaning EVERYONE on here), you MUST read this book:

"Miracle Ball: My Hunt for the Shot Heard 'Round the World" by Biegel & Peter Thomas Fornatale (Author).

INCREDIBLE true mystery surrounding the "Shot heard round the world".

Peace, mike

PS This is my choice for $$$$$ sports ball.
I completely agree this is a great book. It was made into a documentary as well that is equally entertaining.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)

Last edited by 71buc; 01-22-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:08 AM
Brian Macdonald

Slightly off topic from a "ball" but a hockey puck, from Paul Henderson's game winning goal in the 1972 Canada/Russia hockey series Game 8 would bring a huge amount. Sky's the limit on that one
Old 01-22-2015, 08:11 AM
James C
Dennis Choraz.yczewski

How about the baseball from Reggie Jackson's legendary light tower shot at Tiger Stadium during the 1971 All-Star game. Probably not the most valuable. But would be a great baseball to own!
Old 01-22-2015, 08:24 AM

I wonder what ever happened to the baseball from Willie Mays' "catch". I bet it was just entered back into play. Funny to think about how the next guy could have fouled it off and some kid caught it.

Ruth's 714 home run ball is at the HOF. But I would think if it wasn't, that's the most expensive baseball.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:02 AM

Ruth's 1st HR ball
Old 01-22-2015, 09:52 AM

How about Aaron's 715 HR ball? Clearly a $1M+ ball if it were ever discovered and brought to auction. Even Barry Bonds' 756 HR ball sold for $750K, so I think the sky would be the limit for Aaron's.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:11 AM
Belltown Vintage

I bet Ruth's last HR would go for more than Aaron's 715th. The number 714 is…iconic. Walter Johnson's last strikeout pitch would probably rate pretty high as well. Same for Ty Cobb's last hit.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:17 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

A couple of deflated footballs from a recent playoff football game?

Just joking.

I would go with Thomson's ball.

Miracle Ball: My Hunt for the Shot Heard 'Round the World" by Biegel & Peter Thomas Fornatale is an excellent read and the documentary is also worth your time.

Jeff
Old 01-22-2015, 10:27 AM
Joel

Basketball:

Old 01-22-2015, 11:31 AM
Tim Carroll

I would think the Thompson HR ball would generate enough bidding to top the McGwire mark.

It certainly isn't the most expensive, but I saw where the ball used to give Derek Jeter his final strikeout reached above $1,000 at auction (not sure of the end price).

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...-looking-sets/

He swung and missed at a strike in the dirt.

What I find interesting is that a ball that Jeter never signed, never touched, and whose bat never made contact with topped the $1K mark. I have a garage full of baseballs that match that description perfectly.

Tim

www.timcarrollart.com

Facebook/Instagram/Twitter: @timcarrollart
Old 01-23-2015, 06:09 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
How about Aaron's 715 HR ball? Clearly a $1M+ ball if it were ever discovered and brought to auction. Even Barry Bonds' 756 HR ball sold for $750K, so I think the sky would be the limit for Aaron's.
Aaron's 715 was given back to him after he hit it. Tom House caught it in the bullpen and returned it. I believe it is on display in Atlanta at the stadium.

I think I saw #714 when I was at the Hall of Fame in the late '90's I assume its still there.

Number 755 was also at the 1999 Guernseys Auction. The guy who caught it worked for the Brewers. They were under orders to return all Hanks homerun balls. The guy wanted to give it back to him personally but Hank had already left after the game and the team went on a road trip. The guy was fired for not giving it back so he just kept it. It was only late July so he never thought it would be the final homerun. He had it many years before going to an autograph show and having Hank sign it. I don't think he told him it was his last homerun ball, though. I think the owner had a $750,000 reserve on it. The bidding fell short but they hammered out a deal for $650,000.

PS I was at the auction also. Richard invited me up. was a real hoot watching people bid into the millions. I was sitting next to a dealer I knew who was still bidding over 1 million.

Last edited by mcgwirecom; 01-23-2015 at 06:11 PM.