NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 01-20-2019, 04:49 PM
Sam Lemoine

Default NFL is now the WWE

How can the NFL justify the officiating in the NFC Championship Game? In 3 consecutive drives: 1) Missed an obvious pass interference which forced the Saints to punt 2) Missed a facemask on Goff that would have given the Rams a crucial first down on the one 3) Missed the most obvious pass interference in history which cost the Saints the game.

I am so disgusted with it I am not even watching the second game nor the Super Bowl. What's the point? Hmmmm, LA has 15 times the market of New Orleans. Who do you think the NFL wants in the game?
Old 01-20-2019, 05:00 PM
Chase

I'm a Rams fan and that was just not a legit win. Pathetic missed PI call on the Rams which would have ended the game. There was another missed PI call against the Rams earlier in the 4th too and as mentioned the Goff face mask.

NO played a better game to boot. Happy Rams are going to the SB but would have rather watched them win this one on their own or without the refs missing such an obvious and crucial play.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:34 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

That was as bad as I have seen, I understand they can't look at every play but when its so crucial and as obvious, there has to be a way correct the error.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:19 PM
Larry More.y

Not much better officiating in the second game....phantom roughing the passer call in the 4th qtr against KC, certainly did not help. Guess the NFL got their east coast/west coast, large media market game. Going to be hard to watch the SB in light of the convenient officiating in both of today's games.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:29 PM
Garth Guibord

I’m not a football guy any more, but one of my favorite sayings about the NFL was, “play better than the refs ref.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2019, 03:43 AM
M.ichael Yaz.back

That was a head scratching no call on what was CLEARLY pass interference by the Rams. Even my non football watching wife called it! But give the Rams credit, they fought hard in a hostile environment and put themselves in a position to win. Tough to be a Saints fan. First the Minneapolis Miracle, now this.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:34 AM
Ben North

I have come to the sad realization that all sports are like the WWE. Pretty much everything in life is like the WWE including this hobby.

Usually when someone tries to point out the "special" treatment the benefactors of that treatment make up every excuse imaginable. It is very funny to watch/read once you get over the fact how rigged things really are.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:05 AM
Mike Dugan

For the NFL to be the most powerful sports league they sure have some flaws. Why they can't OT right is beyond me? Each team should at least have the opportunity to have the ball once on OT. A coin flip decides the game?
Old 01-21-2019, 08:15 AM
Sam Lemoine

Ben, I have spent the morning thinking about this. In the 4 major team sports here is what I see:

NFL: Refs calls decide everything. You can call holding or pass interference on almost every play. They do it arbitrarily. Or is it?

NBA: Decades of questionable calls. One referee even admitted to it, and everyone looks at him as the outcast. Really? I saw decades of calls go in favor of Jordan, Shaq, Kobe, etc.

NHL: Guys are hitting each other constantly, yet only certain times are penalties called.

MLB: One umpire literally decides the game by controlling the strike zone, which cannot be challenged.

I have been a diehard sports junkie for 50 years. But this might be the last straw. The officiating decides too many games, and more often than not it favors the big market team. Rams over Saints, Bulls over Jazz, Lakers over Kings, etc. It might be time to free myself from sports and spend the hours a week I spend watching games, listening to sports talk radio, and collecting sports stuff.

Last edited by PowderedH2O; 01-21-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:32 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Brady specifically and Pats generally will get every conceivable close call. You can bank on that.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:04 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Brady specifically and Pats generally will get every conceivable close call. You can bank on that.

Yeah, about that.... The only way I see a ref calling holding or interference on whoever is covering Gronk is if the guy actually lugs a saddle into the huddle so he can have a comfy ride.

On the interference call in the end zone, what they missed was the pushing off the receiver did as he made the cut that got him open.

During the season I keep hearing the analysts say that the pushing motion with the arm going straight will always get called. Nope, not yesterday.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
So why was Belichick so pissed at the refs that he threw his tablet twice?

As Steve says, Gronk is basically assaulted on every pass route, very rarely is it called. There were some ticky tack calls on the Pats' secondary yesterday too.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-21-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:45 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
So why was Belichick so pissed at the refs that he threw his tablet twice?

As Steve says, Gronk is basically assaulted on every pass route, very rarely is it called. There were some ticky tack calls on the Pats' secondary yesterday too.
He threw the tablet because it was a "Surface" and not an "iPad".

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:33 AM
Sam Lemoine

I can't comment on that, because I was so disgusted after the Saints-Rams game that I turned the tv off and my wife and I worked on a jigsaw puzzle. We won't watch the Super Bowl either.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:26 AM
Chuck Tapia

NFL has been the WWE since it was called the WWF. That's how long it's been just a disgusting pre-scripted exhibition and nothing more. They were a joke laughing stalk way before this fiasco... and they were 10 face masks and helmets to helmets not called this weekend. It's a J O K E Period

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 01-22-2019 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:09 AM
Ben North

Quote:
I agree, it was like all those strike calls Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz got that were way outside.

I am sure all the Pats and Braves fans will disagree with us though.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:19 AM

I've always claimed that the WWE is the most legit of any major sport. At least they state up front that it's "sports entertainment."
Old 01-22-2019, 11:00 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I agree, it was like all those strike calls Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz got that were way outside.

I am sure all the Pats and Braves fans will disagree with us though.
Pedro got those calls too, but I don't think it had anything to do with favoritism, it was skill and artistry. Great pitchers know how to expand the strike zone.

I am not buying the conspiracy theories that the officials are told from on high who to favor.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-22-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:15 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Specious statement at best. I agree that the call against #95 of the Chiefs for qb interference in the fourth quarter was not a good call. However, the refs completely ignored two blatant penalties in the same quarter. The obvious pass interference against Gronkowski which was pointed out by Romo/Nance. The other one was completely missed and not mentioned by anyone: The second Brady interception that went off the hands of Edelman. After it went off of Edelman's hands he ran about 5 yards and was knocked down by a hit to the head by a Chief's player. That should have been an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty of 15 yards with it being assessed from the point of infraction. The back judge should have caught that one.

If they were giving the Pats a break they would not have called 3 penalties against Jackson? (rookie db from U/Maryland) so readily.

I am not even much of a football fan (they don't pay me). My wife likes the Pats/Brady so I casually watch and explain a lot of the game to her.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 01-22-2019, 11:38 AM
Mel Quatt.lebaum

The main problem with the refs is they are a bunch of old men trying to keep up with some of the best athletes in the world. They constantly prove they are unable to monitor the game as needed thus I would either go younger and more athletic or have a third of the refs make calls from the press box. No excuses for getting so many obvious calls wrong.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:43 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Specious statement at best. I agree that the call against #95 of the Chiefs for qb interference in the fourth quarter was not a good call. However, the refs completely ignored two blatant penalties in the same quarter. The obvious pass interference against Gronkowski which was pointed out by Romo/Nance. The other one was completely missed and not mentioned by anyone: The second Brady interception that went off the hands of Edelman. After it went off of Edelman's hands he ran about 5 yards and was knocked down by a hit to the head by a Chief's player. That should have been an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty of 15 yards with it being assessed from the point of infraction. The back judge should have caught that one.

If they were giving the Pats a break they would not have called 3 penalties against Jackson? (rookie db from U/Maryland) so readily.

I am not even much of a football fan (they don't pay me). My wife likes the Pats/Brady so I casually watch and explain a lot of the game to her.
I thought one of the calls on Jackson was right but the last one in particular was really weak. It's tough because you could call holding on every single play and pass interference on most plays, as a ref you really have to limit yourself to blatant ones or outcome determinative ones.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:45 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post

I am not buying the conspiracy theories that the officials are told from on high who to favor.
And neither am I.

I didn't watch the Saints/Rams game, however, I did see the highlights and that hit in the end was pretty bad. I was surprised no call was made. However, it's silly to suggest that the NFL had something to do with this. I'm pretty sure the Saints had the whole entire game to score more points, but they failed to do so.

Tom Brady is going to his 27th Super Bowl, and football fans across the country are throwing up because everyone is sick to death of that man! I'm pretty sure the guys who run the league are sick of him too! But what can they do about it? You could be beating his team with only 0.02 seconds left on the clock and he'll still find a way to win.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:45 PM
Ben North

Seen this and figured it would fit right in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pats.jpg (51.9 KB, 101 views)
Old 01-26-2019, 01:34 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Slow motion shows this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5709791D-EC7C-40B1-9DC2-B136AEC584F8.jpg (16.3 KB, 60 views)
Old 01-26-2019, 06:47 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Commish awakes...

This just in :

Goodell finally woke up to comment on the Saints game.
He says he didn’t understand the controversy.

His statement claims the balls were properly inflated and the old quarterback for the black and gold team wouldn’t be suspended. Then he said there would be 4 more games in London and Mexico City scheduled for next year. Very exciting news.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:09 PM
Jeff

I'm pretty sure the reason the PI wasn't called is that the league had asked Brady who he wanted to play in the SB and he said, "The Rams."

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."