NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-30-2016, 08:15 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default Strange Green Tint Tidbit...

It's weird, but a number of times over the years I've purchased 1962 Topps #171 Dave Sisler Green Tint cards, and much more often than not these cards appear to be trimmed. They are markedly thinner than a regular version of the card and it's very obvious when you look at the hair thin wood borders to the sides of the white frame. But since this anomaly is so prevalent, I don't believe for a minute they were actually trimmed by their former owners and I'm convinced it is much more likely that they came out of the factory looking this way and are the result of some type of production error.

Since this came to mind today, I decided to jump on COMC and see what they had on hand there. And sure enough, a bunch of them are much thinner than they should be. This isn't scientific or anything, but the red line approximates how wide the cards should be. The top card has the correct and expected amount of woodgrain border on both sides (I know, I know, some people will argue that maybe the top card is just wider than it should be, making the cards below it 'normal,' but I'll ignore that), so look how thin the other cards are compared to the one on top. It is a drastic difference...

1962Sisler171GTtrim.jpg

The top left side of the bottomost card is cut on an angle, which just adds to the wonderment of what the heck was happening during the production of the GT's. And if these cards were cut too thin at the factory, then I assume that others printed on the same sheet must have the same problem, although nothing has jumped out at me as much as Mr. Sisler always has.

If you have a minute, check out your version(s) of this card and see if they suffer from this same cardboard anorexia.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 07-31-2016 at 04:16 AM.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:14 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Checked mine Darren, my Sisler GT is barely smaller, than the regular card. I also checked it against three other cards and it is the same as one and barely smaller than the two others. I've noticed very small size differences throughout many cards in the set. Most not on cards I'd think anyone would trim due to the player and overall condition. Perhaps this is a quality control issue with this set. As I type I'm wondering if this could be something due to the other printing company that produced the GT's. Don't have time now to check other GT's but will later.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 07-31-2016, 09:23 AM
T0NY @

Darren checking the two Sisler cards from my 62 set, both seem to be the same size. (scans below)

Old 07-31-2016, 09:27 AM
Al Richter

Default Sisler

My two are the same size as well
Old 07-31-2016, 04:49 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Here are a few more to add to the tally after a quick scan of ebay. I definitely think this persistent problem was a QC issue on the part of the printers of the infamous green tints…

1962Sisler171GTtrim2.jpg

Compare these guys to the first card I posted. They are drastically thinner side to side.

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Old 07-31-2016, 04:56 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

And then there's this card which is listed as 'trimmed' (actually "1962 Topps 171 Dave Sisler Green Tint Reds-Trim-EM") on ebay. I am sure this seller simply measured the card out and it came up short side to side, because it looks identical to all of the other cards I have posted in this thread…

41548.jpg

Casey Stengel

Old 07-31-2016, 05:10 PM
Mike Lenart

I checked my Sisler green tint and it is noticeably shorter than the normal card. Checked a few other player's green tint cards and they all are normal size.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:19 PM

Default GT skinny cuts & SII checklist variations

Darren,
I've been following your posts regarding '62T & '62T GT over the years. I appreciate you sharing your insights and discoveries with the crowd. Here's some extra data points for your research.
I agree with your thoughts on the "skinny" cuts coming from the same column on the sheet, makes sense. I have a Dallas Green #111 that I sent to PSA years ago to get graded and it came back "Evid Trim" and they would not grade it. It looks just as thin as your Giegers. I checked all my other GTs and they are fine. Here's their numbers: 110, 12, 16 (2), 21, 22, 26, 29, 36, 39, 47 (3), 50, 67, 70, 74, 76 (2) 83, 90, 92 (with comma). I only have about dozen non-GT from SII and they are all normal with the exception of Hoeft #134 that is slightly oversized top-bottom.
Regarding your sleuthing on Checklist 2 (#98) being part of the SII print run. I agree. Not sure if you've investigated the reasoning behind why there are 3 variations of both checklists that got issued in the SII print runs. With the prominent theory on print runs being Topps did one print run and then shipped the business off to someone else to produce more SII cards (the genesis of the GTs) and that company probably did two different printings. One with the pose variations and one print run without. I imagine that could account for the 3 different print variations of the checklist # 98 and 192. My question is which version of #98 is from the GT sheets? Did you ever find a copy of a SII GT uncut sheet?
Will post some more later.
Scooby
Old 04-10-2020, 05:23 PM

A couple of years ago, you asked for people to share any SII GT miscuts, so you could the woodgrain borders and figure who the ordering. Here are the only ones I have which spill over to the adjacent card frame:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62 GT miscuts.jpg (70.4 KB, 160 views)
Old 04-10-2020, 05:44 PM

Default Speaking of Checklists & Uncut sheets

In a thread years ago, someone mentioned that it was common practice for Topps to have a previous or future checklist in a different print run. I've seen a few uncut sheets over the years and can confirm that. I currently have a 1968T Series III uncut sheet. SIII was card #'s 197-283 (according to the checklist), but it includes Checklist #3, which is numbered #192, which is not really part of SIII and Checklist #4, card # 278, which is part of SIII. Go figure.
For the record, the sheet is 132 cards; 11 across by 12 rows. The 1st four rows are duplicated for a total of 44 DPs and 44 not DPs. I'm not sure if there is a reverse printing of that where the middle 4 rows are DPs to even out the numbers.
Anyway, if anyone out there is a sleuth on '68T, I'd be happy to share image and details of that sheet and learn from you.
Scooby
Old 04-10-2020, 06:40 PM

Ok, I finished my 62 topps set in September with mantle being the last one needed to finish. I was thinking of doing the green tint set but never really started it. Is it worth it? It’s tough to tell them about. Anybody have a list of the green tint numbers?
Old 04-10-2020, 09:56 PM
Mike

This should be a good resource to tell the difference between the regular and the green tint cards (most are cropping differences, but some have entirely different poses. It's fun trying to get a 1962 Topps Master Set. It's takes about 695 cards at last count. I'm currently at 685, so need about 10 more !! Good Luck !!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/obctom...7602774575697/