NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-13-2005, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Default Mr. Mint -- Alan Rosen

Posted By: warshawlaw

Bald pate
Cheesy goatee
Rolex flash
Pressure deal
Where are my cards, Alan?

Old 05-13-2005, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Haiku is one of the most important form of traditional japanese poetry.

Haiku is, today, a 17-syllable verse form consisting of three metrical units of 5, 7, and 5 syllables.

I.E

Sudden spring storm-
a family of ducks paddles
around the deserted lake.

Old 05-13-2005, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew Parks

A haiku is three lines long:

Line 1 = 5 syllables
Line 2 = 7 syllables
Line 3 = 5 syllables

But you get an A for effort!

Old 05-14-2005, 02:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim James

I am in total shock as to how long this thread has gone.The guy's seemingly "unethical" ways of acquiring the product he desires,might have ruffled some feathers along the way,but that's the way the hobby goes.The kid around the block had a better collection than I,but he had ways of making that happen.Like him or not,he got the job done.Some collect for personal enjoyment,some for profit.People who are willing to put their money on the line to better themselves are the one's that make this country the greatest in the world.We might not agree on the method the man gained his stature,but the way it has been accomplished is what the "american dream" is all about.

Old 05-14-2005, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew Parks

I have only seen Mr. Rosen once and never spoke to him. However, it seems pretty clear that he has treated some on here pretty poorly all in the name of the "All-Mighty Dollar". If he did, indeed, treat those the manner in which they told it, I can not support that.

Some of you have written that he has treated you with respect and kindness. That is both encouraging and refreshing, and it definitely needs to be told to balance the "horror" stories that others have told.

However, I am alarmed at how many of you seem to have a non-chalant attitude about the unkindness, greed, and pride that he seems to throw into people's faces just because he's improved the hobby. If he has indeed acted and said some of the shocking things that have been reported, then the man has serious problems. How can his unkindness and greed "make this country the best in the world" for one example?

If the man brought many things into the hobby and had a huge hand in making it what it is today, then I am not so sure where to quite put that on the "Mr. Mint Success Tree". The bottom line is this - the man has seemed to do many unkind, greedy, prideful, and tasteless things to completely innocent people.

Some people try to copy the methods of those who are successful. Unfortunately, in our society, the definition of success is wealth. If he has done what some of you report, then there are probably hundreds of other dealers who are willing to follow his lead in an attempt to reach the success status that this man has achieved. It's very possible that for every "important act" he has given to the hobby, for every kind gesture he has offered to others, it is counter-balanced by another side of him that is controlled by greed and pride.

I am not perfect, nor are any of us, but as I was reading some of these stories on this thread I could only have pity and compassion for the man named Alan Rosen, and I hope he sees what's truly important very soon.

Old 05-14-2005, 08:03 AM
Administrator

At this point we're just having fun with it, i.e., the haiku contest. No need to be distressed at how long the thread is going.

Old 05-14-2005, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Coin dealer does cards
Legend in his own minds' eye
Good for the hobby?

Old 05-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott M

There once was a dealer with much cash.
The reputation he gained was "all flash".
He called himself "Mr. Mint".
To his customers he said things I cannot print.
How'd he become so successful being so brash?

Scott M

Edited to add that I would have done a Sonnet but 14 lines is more than this particular subject is worth...

Old 05-14-2005, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

I asked if he
Had a Hack Wilson; he said
No; I like your cap.

Sort of --embarassing. here's another real one (this is known as sneaking poetry in):

Dead my old fine hopes
and dry my dreaming, but oh
iris, blue each spring!

Old 05-14-2005, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Are you writing poems? You're writing a poem aren't you? There's no poetry in baseball! :-p

Jay

I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 05-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

as I see it.....

Old 05-14-2005, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: taraizzy

I thought i would add my 2 cents on Mr Mint. Back in the late 1990's I brought my 2 boys to the National Convention in Chicago. Mr. Mint was giving away free mini bats that he was autographing. So with aprox 7-10 people in line to get a free bat, an elderly man approaches him and hands him a ticket stub for possible purchase. What happened next, shocked everyone in that line. Mr. Rosen began cursing at the elderly man and told him that what he had was s*** and to get away from his table. He raised his voice loud enough to be heard from quite a distance. I have never forgot that incident.

Old 05-14-2005, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Little Miss Muffet sat on a tuffet,
Eating her curds and whey,
Along came a spider (Al Rosen) and sat down beside her,
And said, “what ya got in the bowl bitch? I’ll pay cash for it”
And frightened Miss Muffet away.

I only ever had one experience with Al Rosen it was my very first Ft. Washington show a few years back. I had brought my laptop I handed the computer bag to my wife and went to the restroom. When I came back she said lets move away from this area please. I asked why she explained that while I was in the bathroom Rosen approached her and said what’s in the bag your holding for the guy in the bathroom. About a few hours later we walked by his booth and he said “hey man what do you have in that computer bag?” I just laughed and said a computer he turned and said “sure what ever” in a sarcastic voice. Truth is it really was only a computer, I wonder if he would have bought it.

Old 05-14-2005, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...at a card show in White Plains, NY. He creeps me out. He was being well-ignored.

Old 05-14-2005, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

Back in the "Old days" the hobby could be bery profitable for Shady Con-Artist cracters like Hager/Rosen. Because of the e-net and word of mouth... Both these guys can not MAKE IT ANYMORE with their current practices. Yes, we will all see Rosen still at some big shows sticking to his game plan, but the days of Grandpa walking into a show to sell something good is drying up.

This thread going so long only shows that people do care who gets ripped off or not and is a very good informative thread for new people to read.

I would like to see Leon do a rating of dealers like the VCBC does each year. One vote per IP address. Lets make this a very informative place for everyone to make up their minds on who to deal with. Good people (most dealers) should be rewarded as bad dealers should be pointed out as well!!!!!

Old 05-14-2005, 05:18 PM
Administrator

I always ask myself "If this dealer sat down next to me on a bus would I want to move?" If yes, I don't go to his table.

Old 05-14-2005, 06:07 PM
Administrator

No, I didn't write the "real" haiku--onl the one about Rosen and Hack Wilson and my cap (which happened). Real one's almost 1000 years old.

Old 05-14-2005, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

edited to put my foot in my mouth

Old 05-14-2005, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

The Ball once struck off,
Away flies the Boy
To the next destin'd Post,
And then Home with Joy. --Anonymous, 18th Century

These are the saddest of possible words:
"Tinker to Evers to Chance."
Trio of bear cubs, and fleeter than birds,
Tinker and Evers and Chance.
Ruthlessly pricking our gonfalon bubble,
Making a Giant hit into a double-
Words that are heavy with nothing but trouble:
"Tinker to Evers to Chance." --Franklin P. Adams

"In our sundown perambulations of late through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base,' a certain game of ball...Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms...the game of ball is glorious." -- Walt Whitman, 1846

Old 05-14-2005, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Do not be remembering the most natural man ever to
wear spiked shoes,
The canniest fielder and the longest hitter,
Who squatted on his heels
In a uniform muddied at the knees,
Til the bleacher shadows grew long behind him.
Who went along with Chick and Buck (sic) and Happy
Because they treated him so friendly-like,
Hardly like Yankees at all.
With Williams because Lefty was from the South too,
And with Risberg because the Swede was such a hard guy.
Who made an X for his name and couldn't ague with
Comiskey's sleepers,
But who could pick a line drive out of the air ten feet
outside the foul line
And rifle anything home from anywhere in the park

For Shoeless Joe is gone, long gone,
A long yellow grass-blade between his teeth
And the bleacher shadows behind him..."

Nelson Algren

Old 05-14-2005, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Good for the hobby?
If by good you mean awful
Rosen is your man.

Old 05-15-2005, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Thomas Walcott Sr

This guy is like varmant to this industry I watched him spit in the face of a show exibitor in Chicago and I was asked by the police to sign a statement which I did along with 7 other witnesses. After the police spoke to Rosen he was shaking the other atendee decided not to press charges the officer in charge told me it was put on record and any further actions he would go to jail maybee that is what he needs.

Old 05-16-2005, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Thomas Walcott Sr

Does this guy have any freinds in the entire hobby/

Old 01-31-2017, 05:59 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive View Post
Posted By: John_B_California

For all of his faults, he's still a brilliant marketer. How many dealers in any business (cards, coins, stamps, antiques) have branded themselves this well? When he steps outside and eats a hotdog at the National, people think he's a rock star.

He reminds me in some ways of Donald Trump. Lots of flash, cash and hyperbole. Trump has his ice water and fragrance, Rosen has his baseballs and bobble heads. I'm waiting for the Mr. Mint Visa Check card....

Things that make you go hmmmm
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 01-31-2017 at 06:01 AM.