NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-23-2017, 09:48 AM

Default For Negro League aficionados & experts: I would like to hear your opinions

First, what do you think is the likelihood that additional Negro Leaguers will be elected to the Hall of Fame?

Second, if there is a future special election of Negro Leaguers to the HOF, please name your top-5 that you believe should be inducted (and "Why?" if you care to add your reasoning/opinion).

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2017, 10:09 AM

I think the next early baseball vote is in 2020. Here is who I would like to see inducted:

Francisco Coimbre - Satchel Paige himself said of all the hitters he ever faced, Coimbre was hands down the toughest. Here is his exact quote: “Coimbre could not be pitched to. No one gave me more trouble than anyone I ever faced, including Josh Gibson and Ted Williams.”

Perucho Cepeda - legendary father of Orlando Cepeda and was called the Babe Ruth of Puerto Rico while he was a player. Hit 400 at two different positions. Cepeda refused to play in the Negro Leagues because he was disgusted by American racism and the need for there to be two leagues.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:49 AM
Steve Peissig

My next guys in line:

Dick Lundy
Oliver Marcelle
Home Run Johnson
Alejandro Oms
Dobie Moore--long shot, too short of career

You can also throw in

John Donaldson
Buck O'Neil--Contributions to baseball and being the "voice" of the Negro Leagues, not for his playing days
Old 01-23-2017, 12:06 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Alejandro Oms. He could flat out rake.

Tom C
Old 01-23-2017, 12:07 PM
Kenny Cole

Off the top of my head my picks would be:

John Beckwith
Home Run Johnson
Oliver Marcelle
Dick Lundy
John Donaldson.

I would also be OK with Alejandro Oms, Dick Redding, Chet Brewer, Eustaquio Pedroso and Nip Winters. Additionally, the election of Buck O'Neil as a contributor is waaaaaaay overdue.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:11 PM
pariah1107

I'd appreciate it if the Hall of Fame looked beyond the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum to get their material. Therefore I'll offer three black baseball players, some of whom played in the Negro Leagues briefly, but they spent the majority of their careers in semi-pro baseball on integrated and segregated teams along the West Coast:

Carlisle Perry; High School teammate of the Meusel brothers in LA, California Winter League regular, Negro Leagues (1923-25), manager of the Los Angeles White Sox 1919-29, owner of the LA White Sox of the short-lived West Coast Negro League (1946).

Ernie Tanner; Proclaimed to be "the greatest athlete ever produced in Washington State" Tanner was a four star athlete, but was most known for his early integration of Tacoma baseball, and his work as a longshoreman representative. The Ernest Tanner Cultural Studies Building on the UW branch campus in Tacoma is the former longshoreman's labor hall. His son, Jack Tanner, was also the first African American federal judge West of the Mississippi. Never played in the Negro Leagues though played for the Chicago American Giants when they visited Tacoma.

Jimmy Claxton; Claxton was among the first African Americans depicted on an American baseball card. The first to integrate semi-pro and minor league teams in Washington, Oregon, California, and Nevada prior to World War 2. He managed white semi-pro teams in Washington and Nevada (1926-1938). His stats were impressive: 138 wins, 77 losses, .350 lifetime batting average, 23 strikeouts in a single game (twice), one no-hitter in an integrated semi-pro game (June 23, 1924, he was the only black man on the field). One brief barnstorm through the Negro Leagues 1932 after a significant arm injury the previous season.

Honorable mention, Isaac "Ike" Ward; A former member of the 25th infantry buffalo soldiers, Ward was perhaps the first African American to manage a white semi-pro team in the history of our national pastime when he managed the Colville Indians (1913-15).

A couple other worthy candidates not from the West; John Donaldson, and Subby Byas (Byas once received more votes for the All-Star game than Josh Gibson at the same position).

Last edited by pariah1107; 01-23-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:02 PM
Al Jurgela

Hard to stick to just five in my opinion, and I am sure that I am missing some... I think pretty much all of the following were better than Andy Cooper

Home Run Johnson
Oliver Marcelle
Alejandro Oms
Dick Lundy
John Donaldson
Minnie Minoso (a little like Monte Irvin - MLB stats miss his first few years of stats as they were in Cuba/NL)

Longer shots (but, personally favorites of mine):

Clint Thomas
Dobie Moore
Nip Winters
Frank Duncan
Spotwood Poles
George Scales
Wild Bill Wright (especially Mexican career)
Dick Redding
Bruce Petway
Tetelo Vargas

Duncan and Petway will likely suffer from "too many catchers", though I do believe that is was the strongest position for negro league players.

As others have said, Buck O'Neil is a no brainier for contributions and it is a shame that it will happen posthumously. I think that Ed Bolden will get in as an executive.

Regardless, it is hard to imagine that other entries of the Hall of Fame would NOT come from the list of players already considered. You can see the full list and see helpful links to the players here:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bu...agues_Election

you may also find these sources helpful:

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/200...league-players

http://seamheads.com/blog/2013/08/29...-hall-of-fame/

http://johndonaldson.bravehost.com/pdf/00237.pdf

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/print.jsp?ym...=mlb&fext=.jsp

And of course, I started to post some videos on YouTube that document some of these players on Cuban cards. Fascinated topic (to me at least)!

Here is a link to a new project that I am doing that include cards of some of the players mentioned here and on the links:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBi...xNtlijS0aGCpEw
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 01-23-2017, 06:45 PM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

Andy --

No doubt you got some pretty educated responses . . .

FWIW I would add Gus Greenlee, Bud Fowler, and Charlie Grant (as they have not been mentioned).

If I had to bet on one it would be Minnie Minoso.

Scott
Old 01-23-2017, 07:51 PM
Scott

This thread is so unbelievable because I was going to start a thread this week about the idea of Net54 members petitioning the Hall of Fame on this exact subject.

Over the past six months, I have written two letters to the president of the National Baseball HOF, Jeff Idelson, imploring him to reconvene a special committee to examine Negro League player induction. The first and only time it met was back in 2006 when they inducted 12 players and five executives, spanning a nearly one hundred year period. These two letters have been met with silence.

Jeff Idelson was then quoted last year by Sporting News that that was the only time they were going to open the gates of Cooperstown to Negro League players. Needless to say I was incensed and now ask all of you who are interested to bombard Mr. Idelson with "strongly-worded" letters of disapproval and outrage.

Here is his contact info:

Mr. Jeff Idelson
President
National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum
25 Main Street
Cooperstown, NY 13326

Thank you all for your support and to have this great sport finally recognize the achievements of these men!

Scott Segal

Last edited by Scocs; 01-23-2017 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:56 PM
Scott

P.S.

I would definitely include:

Dick Lundy
Oliver Marcelle
Grant "Home Run" Johnson
John Donaldson
Alejandro Oms

...and certainly would root for:

Clint Thomas
Bruce Petway
Spotswood Poles
Dobie Moore
John Beckwith
Nip Winters
Dick "Cannonball" Redding
Newt Allen
Bingo DeMoss

Last edited by Scocs; 01-23-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:48 PM
Al Jurgela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scocs View Post
P.S.

I would definitely include:

Dick Lundy
Oliver Marcelle
Grant "Home Run" Johnson
John Donaldson
Alejandro Oms

...and certainly would root for:

Clint Thomas
Bruce Petway
Spotswood Poles
Dobie Moore
John Beckwith
Nip Winters
Dick "Cannonball" Redding
Newt Allen
Bingo DeMoss

Love the "root for" comment.... and think that your are right that they are long shots... not sure if I had mentioned Chino Smith, but I may also add him to the long shot category....
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 01-24-2017, 05:35 PM
Phil Garry

Ed Bolden has to be at the top of any Negro League Executives list.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:31 PM
Scott

True, if you induct Dobie Moore, seems like you have to take Chino Smith too.

Not sure about lifetime accomplishments, but Ed Wesley and Dave Malarchar?
Old 01-24-2017, 08:59 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

My off the radar choice would be Quincy Trouppe.

Tom C
Old 01-25-2017, 05:51 AM
Scott

Anybody else feel a sense of righteous indignation enough to write letters to the Hall of Fame?

Mr. Idelson wil perhaps take this issue more seriously if he hears mutiple voices speaking out.

No slight against the late Ron Santo, but if he could get in through a "Golden Committee" session after both the regular (15 years worth of voting) and Veterans committees rejected his induction, then these Negro Leaguers deserve at least another chance at Cooperstown. That's what justice looks like....

Thank you again!
Old 01-25-2017, 08:01 AM
Al Jurgela

Hey Scott.... I do that it is a worthwhile cause and believe that I will send a letter. It is a true injustice... especially when you look at Marcelle vs. Santo. Makes my blood boil. Best,
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 02-02-2017, 05:40 PM
Scott

FWIW, I just wanted to let everyone know I mailed Jeff Idelson another letter a couple of days ago. It would send a powerful message if other Forum members did the same, so please consider writing to the Hall of Fame to support allowing more Negro Leaguers in.

At present, they have no plans to consider inducting any of them anymore!

Thanks,
Scott
Old 02-03-2017, 02:44 AM
Lonnie Nagel

On a related note - if ya ever get to Kansas City the Negro League Baseball Museum at 18th and Vine is a day well spent. Tons of stuff. Buck O'Neill was very instrumental in making this go.

http://nlbm.com/s/index.cfm