NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-11-2022, 11:27 AM
Rich

Default auction advances

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have never auctioned anything through an auctions house, but plan to do so soon. Would someone tell me everything that goes into an advance on an item you are auctioning through a major sports auction house? What percentage of their estimate will they give as an advance? For example, the auction house estimates an item will go for $20K, what would they advance? Are these advances treated as loans with interest? I literally know nothing about them, other than they exist?

Thanks for any help -
Old 07-11-2022, 11:47 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I am sure it varies a great deal. I'm not sure an AH is going to offer you an advance on something as "low" as $20,000. The one time I did an advance it was for a six figure item. Just an advance and no interest. It was clear that the item would pull multiples of what I asked for as an advance. Good luck. I am sure you will hear different things from different AHs.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-11-2022 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-11-2022, 11:48 AM
Jay Cee

They most likely would start at 25 percent and end up at 50 percent.
Old 07-11-2022, 11:56 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Hi

Many auction houses do advances and they treat it like an advance and not a loan. They typically give up to 50% of their estimate of the item. A lot do advances on items as little as 10k that I am aware.
However if the auction house allows reserves they usually do not give an advance if you put a reserve since if it does not sell it could be an issues.
Also if you take an advance they usually either not give you points back if it is a card desirable to them that the want or my not give you as many points as they would since they are advancing you money

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-11-2022, 12:09 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uyu906 View Post
Hi Guys and Gals,

I have never auctioned anything through an auctions house, but plan to do so soon. Would someone tell me everything that goes into an advance on an item you are auctioning through a major sports auction house? What percentage of their estimate will they give as an advance? For example, the auction house estimates an item will go for $20K, what would they advance? Are these advances treated as loans with interest? I literally know nothing about them, other than they exist?

Thanks for any help -
Best way to do this is to contact the AH’s you are considering. Thanks

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 07-11-2022, 12:09 PM
Michael

The AH I use generally offers me ca. 33% of the estimated value and has done so for values of all my lots combined as low as $15K.

To be clear, this only happens once the items are in hand and once I have signed a contract agreeing to the terms of the auction process.

If for some reason the lots I have consigned have been so badly estimated that they don't even net me (after the agreed upon cut the AH gets) the 33%, I will owe the difference to the AH. If they do better, then the advance will be deducted from my net proceeds. There is no interest involved either way.

I don't know the technical term, but I think of this as a short-term, interest-free loan with the lots they have in hand as collateral. I don't want to mention the AH because I do not know what their overall policy is...the % they offer and the minimum value needed to get this % may change based on the customer and value of the lots consigned.

I believe the reason AHs do this is an an inducement to get consignments. Having some cash up front may be the deciding factor in what AH to use (assuming other things are roughly equal).
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.

Last edited by molenick; 07-11-2022 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 01:25 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Genuine question and this is not meant negatively, I am genuinely interested.

Why would I take advantage of an advance at all unless I am in desperate straits for liquidity? Especially if it costs anything in points of sellers commission?

Is there something I am missing or is it as straight forward as immediate need like a pawn situation? I just have waited for my traditional payout and if it exceeds a acceptable amount of time, I would not use that house again.

Just wondering if there is an advantage to this I am not seeing.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 07-11-2022, 01:44 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Genuine question and this is not meant negatively, I am genuinely interested.

Why would I take advantage of an advance at all unless I am in desperate straits for liquidity? Especially if it costs anything in points of sellers commission?

Is there something I am missing or is it as straight forward as immediate need like a pawn situation? I just have waited for my traditional payout and if it exceeds a acceptable amount of time, I would not use that house again.

Just wondering if there is an advantage to this I am not seeing.
I agree that if it cost something in terms of the commission it would be a questionable decision and I would recommend it only if someone was desperate for money quickly.

But assuming the same commission, if someone said to you, you can have $30K in three months or $10K now and $20K in three months, I don't see the drawback in taking $10K now. There is of course the possibility that the collectible market could crash before the auction....but 67% down across the board would mean there are probably a lot more issues in the world than just collectibles crashing.

I would also add that it might depend on what you are consigning. If it is fairly standard stuff like T206s and Goudeys I think the expectation of the result won't change that much in a few months. If it is more speculative, recent "shiny stuff" then I would be more cautious.
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.

Last edited by molenick; 07-11-2022 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 01:44 PM
qualitycards

Justin it can take several months by the time you ship the consignments to the auction house,
as they have to have it well in advance of printing the catalogs, & then the auction runs & winning bidders pay....& then the consignor gets paid.
So perhaps 2-4 months, many of us are consigning cause we can use the funds, so why not get some in advance?
Old 07-11-2022, 01:47 PM
Rich

Default Points?

I am curious what you mean by "Points back"?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Hi

Many auction houses do advances and they treat it like an advance and not a loan. They typically give up to 50% of their estimate of the item. A lot do advances on items as little as 10k that I am aware.
However if the auction house allows reserves they usually do not give an advance if you put a reserve since if it does not sell it could be an issues.
Also if you take an advance they usually either not give you points back if it is a card desirable to them that the want or my not give you as many points as they would since they are advancing you money
Old 07-11-2022, 03:08 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
I am curious what you mean by "Points back"?

Thanks!
some auction houses might really want your card or cards in their auction and they will incentive you. For example no seller fees or sometimes they will give a percentage "points back" from the buyers fee. So for example the buyer pays a 20% premium. The AH might pay you 1, 2, 3% etc from the buyers fee. So you would get whatever the gavel price on the auction plus those extra points from the buyer.

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 07-11-2022, 03:14 PM
John Wondowski

I get zero sellers fees and 30-50% from several AH on total lots as small as $5k - all vintage with minimal market volatility. If you don’t, go somewhere else; it’s competitive out there.
Old 07-11-2022, 03:20 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
some auction houses might really want your card or cards in their auction and they will incentive you. For example no seller fees or sometimes they will give a percentage "points back" from the buyers fee. So for example the buyer pays a 20% premium. The AH might pay you 1, 2, 3% etc from the buyers fee. So you would get whatever the gavel price on the auction plus those extra points from the buyer.
Yep, AH may agree to give you 105% of hammer for example. Full hammer price and an additional 5% out of their commission.

Anyone who sells anything of high value and pays a seller's commission isn't paying attention.
Old 07-11-2022, 08:37 PM
Rich

Default 105%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Yep, AH may agree to give you 105% of hammer for example. Full hammer price and an additional 5% out of their commission.

Anyone who sells anything of high value and pays a seller's commission isn't paying attention.
Is 105% of hammer price the best you are likely to be able to do on a single item worth an estimated $20K?
Old 07-11-2022, 08:50 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Is 105% of hammer price the best you are likely to be able to do on a single item worth an estimated $20K?
Nothing wrong with that return.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 07-11-2022, 09:02 PM
Rich

No, just wondering if 105% is the best one can usually negotiate with a big auction house for 1 baseball item worth an estimated 20K?
Old 07-11-2022, 09:07 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
No, just wondering if 105% is the best one can usually negotiate with a big auction house for 1 baseball item worth an estimated 20K?
Personally, I work with one AH here who is a longtime member and I know how hard he and his family work to sell my consignments, they do such a great job I would never ask for a piece of his end, but that's just me, I'm more into relationships than a 5% vig.

-
Old 07-11-2022, 09:13 PM
Rich

No offense, but your situation is not the same as mine. I have no allegiances to any auctioneer because I have never used one before. I am simply asking for opinions on my particular situation and what I should expect from auction companies from members who have auctioned an estimated 20K item in the past.

Can anyone address my very specific question?
Old 07-11-2022, 09:27 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
No offense, but your situation is not the same as mine. I have no allegiances to any auctioneer because I have never used one before. I am simply asking for opinions on my particular situation and what I should expect from auction companies from members who have auctioned an estimated 20K item in the past.

Can anyone address my very specific question?
None taken.

-
Old 07-12-2022, 03:38 PM
Michael

You are asking for a specific answer to fit your situation but people can only answer from their own experiences and their own situations. There is no one answer to "what kind of advance can I get on a $20K item and is 105% the best I can do on the hammer price".

But as a general answer:
1) most AHs give advances
2) they seem to range from 25-50% (in my experience it is closer to 33%)
3) some consignors utilize this option, others prefer not to
4) no one yet has mentioned interest
5) the % of the hammer price you receive is negotiable but it seems like 100% is now pretty standard....you may or may not be able to get a better rate like 105%, but I don't think you can do better than 105% except for really rare/valuable items (that's just my opinion)

Essentially, your question is only answerable by contacting several AHs, telling them what you have, and asking them what % they can offer as an advance (and also the best they can do regarding the % you will get of the hammer price).

Last edited by molenick; 07-12-2022 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-12-2022, 04:30 PM
Rich

Default Thanks

Thanks to everyone who responded and help educate me about this process. Four auctions houses expressed interest in selling my item. Interesting, estimates for it varied widely. Among those auction houses I was offered between 0-10% of the buyers premium for a hammer % of between 100% and 110%. I selected the auction house that I thought showed the most excitement about my item and felt they would do the most to advertise it. I signed the electronic contract today.

Thanks again!
Old 07-12-2022, 04:44 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Thanks to everyone who responded and help educate me about this process. Four auctions houses expressed interest in selling my item. Interesting, estimates for it varied widely. Among those auction houses I was offered between 0-10% of the buyers premium for a hammer % of between 100% and 110%. I selected the auction house that I thought showed the most excitement about my item and felt they would do the most to advertise it. I signed the electronic contract today.

Thanks again!
Best of luck with your item.

Last edited by bnorth; 07-12-2022 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:09 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Best of luck with your item.
+1 agree glad the forum could help and good luck with the auction

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 07-13-2022, 05:19 AM
Drew W@i$e

I have heard some collectors take the advance in one year and then the rest of the payout in another year to offset taxes.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:01 AM
Glyn Parson

Plenty of the houses will offer you an advance on $20000 seems like Steve wanted to brag about his six figure consignment. Should be able to easily get half of the estimate if not more. Should not be a loan should be no interest. If they try and structure like one look elsewhere. There’s enough competition for consignments out there this shouldn’t be an issue. Also shouldn’t effect the rate they charge you. I’d try REA, heritage, mile high, memory lane and love of the game. See what they all offer you.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:06 AM

Quote:

Thanks again!
Sounds like you made a solid decision. Let us know how it comes out and what the payout times actually were.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:13 AM
octavio ranzola

i once got in advance from a guy named vito..in queens ny .it didnt work out for me ...
Old 07-13-2022, 03:57 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Everything is negotiable.If you have high value graded items that require little research work by the auction house they will undoubtedly be willing to give an advance and points back on the buyers commission. How much of an advance, how many points back—depends what you negotiate. If you can’t get these things find another auction house. If you have a lower value consignment that requires a lot of work by the auction house to write it up then they will be less likely to negotiate with the consignor.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:00 PM

Best of luck !!!

Remember the saying, "Dealing with an auction house is like buying a boat. The best time is when you buy and when you sell."
Old 07-13-2022, 07:08 PM
Rich

Default Lol

Hilarious Octavio! I almost did a spit take when I read your comment.I did laugh out loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
i once got in advance from a guy named vito..in queens ny .it didnt work out for me ...
Old 07-14-2022, 05:37 AM
octavio ranzola

Quote:
Hilarious Octavio! I almost did a spit take when I read your comment.I did laugh out loud.
Rich hope your well