NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 12-11-2012, 02:09 PM
Bob Lemke

Default A Manziel custom card

I posted this on my blog this morning . . .

52B Manziel f beta.jpg

I don't believe I've ever done one of my custom cards for a college football player before he was drafted.

I've made an exception for Johnny Manziel, creating this card in the style of 1952 Bowman.

While I didn't want to wait two or three years until Manziel comes out in the NFL draft, the principal reason for making a card now is that I had such a clear vision.

There was only one Texas A & M player card in 1952 Bowman (none in 1955 Topps All-American), Yale Lary. Since childhood, I have always liked the "drill sergeant" cartoon logo that Bowman placed on that card. I'm glad I got a chance to use it on one of my customs.

Manziel brought a lot of excitement to college ball this season, and livened up the SEC in the school's first year in the conference. And anybody that knocks 'Bama off the unbeaten list is OK in my book.

We won't know for some time what Manziel's legacy will be in the college or the professional game, but I felt that his exceptional season was worth commemorating now.

You'll notice on this beta version of my card back I've already credited A & M with defeating their former Big 12 rivals Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl. I'll have to wait for the game to be played before I print my Manziel cards . . . here's hoping I don't have to change the copy.

52B Manziel back justified copy.jpg

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards

Last edited by Bob Lemke; 12-11-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:35 PM
FredYoung

Default Hi Bob--

Being as how the '52 Bowman Large was a set I completed in 1952 & now resides on the SGC Registry, your card of Johnny Football is already a big favorite w/ me! I'll call it card 144A.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Bob Lemke

Hi Fred.

I've already done 1952 Bowman-style cards #144-150: Roger Staubach, Tom Brady (home and away), Brett Favre (large and small), Marion Motley, Dexter McCluster and Troy Polamalu.

Most of them can be seen in my "Misc. Football" album on Photobucket, linked below.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:42 PM
Belltown Vintage

Great card, Bob (I just googled 'Manziel' to see if there was any discussion on the Duke game, and found this thread).

I'm kind of surprised Manziel hasn't made a public announcement of his decision - we expected it before the bowl game, so I guess the delay means he's seriously considering returning to A&M. The advantage would be that he could turn an amazing two-year career into a stellar three-year one. I also think he could use the third year at A&M to mature a little. Would love to see it.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:02 PM
Bob Lemke

I'd also like to see Manziel return for another year at Texas A&M. I'd rather see him star on Saturdays (as long as they're not playing Ole Miss) than ride the pines on Sundays.

Last edited by Bob Lemke; 01-02-2014 at 03:03 PM.