NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-14-2023, 08:24 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
Jim,
This pin came in three sizes and was issued in 1951.
Awesome info, thanks! Always neat to associate an actual date. I haven't received it yet but I'm assuming based on the photo with the woman's fingernail that its probably equal to the small one in your photo.

Learning more and more about pinbacks every day!
Old 02-14-2023, 09:13 AM
Rob

Quote:
OK Rob I did it. I came up with 456 Cubs pins 😜
You’ll be glad you did. Now, make a spreadsheet.
Old 02-14-2023, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
Great! Thanks! I thought it was a pretty cool pick-up for $5.00.
You got a deal on that one, but it's not a high dollar pinback in any case, as others have stated. Which is a great thing about pinbacks -- some of the absolutely most attractive ones aren't necessarily rare or expensive. I love that about this niche of collecting.

(Also, yours looks to be absolutely legit vintage, but I do think pins of this design may have been reproduced at some point more recent than their original issue.)
Old 02-16-2023, 06:39 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
You got a deal on that one, but it's not a high dollar pinback in any case, as others have stated. Which is a great thing about pinbacks -- some of the absolutely most attractive ones aren't necessarily rare or expensive. I love that about this niche of collecting.

(Also, yours looks to be absolutely legit vintage, but I do think pins of this design may have been reproduced at some point more recent than their original issue.)
Is there a way to tell the new ones from the originals?
Old 02-16-2023, 06:40 PM
Jim Reynolds

Ok, I caved.

I could not let Pee Wee Reese sit in that antique store display case one more day, so he came home to live with me instead.

I am now officially addicted to pinback collecting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 437992E5-AAFA-4583-8E07-661198690702.jpg (164.4 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg ABDD1EF5-E001-4A24-B057-7FFAD88DD7EB.jpg (187.2 KB, 358 views)
Old 02-16-2023, 08:55 PM
Al

Very nice Jim and a dodger to boot.... Enjoy..

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 02-16-2023, 09:09 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
Very nice Jim and a dodger to boot.... Enjoy..
Thank you, Al. I went back to that same store and saw that this vendor was having a considerable sale. I pointed out to him that there was no pin and I got it for a fair bit better price than he quoted last week. Then, I found another vendor who had miscellaneous old pinbacks for $1 each and I found one with a comparable, vintage pin and bought it for the Reese. I think it looks period appropriate and it fits well.

Last edited by Vintagedeputy; 02-16-2023 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-17-2023, 05:59 AM
Jim Reynolds

I’m relatively new to serious pinback collecting so let me ask you guys…what draws you to these?

- There are no stats on the back like cards.
- Probably not much in the way of checklists or set building for many of these.
- Many seem to be somewhat crudely designed or just plain
- Can’t recall many people wearing these to games or in every day life during my youth (1970s-1980s)

So what’s the draw? What attracts you to them?
Old 02-17-2023, 06:12 AM
Al

Quote:
I’m relatively new to serious pinback collecting so let me ask you guys…what draws you to these?

- Can’t recall many people wearing these to games or in every day life during my youth (1970s-1980s)

O.K. Jim I will flip the script what made you start collecting these? Now if you can answer that then you know why we do...

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Old 02-17-2023, 06:59 AM
Rob

Quote:

I would disagree on lack of checklists. Unfortunately, most of those checklists are homemade on our computers….at least mine is.
Old 02-17-2023, 07:07 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
O.K. Jim I will flip the script what made you start collecting these? Now if you can answer that then you know why we do...
I’m old school, prior law enforcement. I’m a dinosaur, they tell me. I like writing stuff down on post-it notes better than an electronic to-do list. I’d much rather have a clipboard in my hands than a spreadsheet on my computer. I liked when people came to work every day, and on time because that mattered. I liked when cops hid their tattoos and were clean shaven, when the girl serving my coffee had less rings on her face than my shower curtain…when people came in for job interviews in a suit and their hair didn’t look like a bag of Skittles. I liked when kids showed respect to adults, when men looked like men and the women didn’t.

I liked when all you could think about all week was catching Mel Allen on This Week in Baseball. I liked falling asleep to the voices of Phil Rizzutto and Frank Messer calling Yankees games on 77 WABC over the pocket transistor radio hidden under my pillow. I liked when a card set could be easily built from packs, when kids flipped their cards. When cards were not shiny, refractor, serial numbered 1/1, latest/greatest nonsense. I liked when cards were just fun to collect, not investments based on a price guide.

I like when people sent linen postcards of baseball stadiums to their friends. I liked that baseball players had regular jobs in the off-season to pay the bills. I like that Willie Mays came out and played stickball with the kids in the street. I like when ball players rode the subway home like a regular Joe. I like when a ballplayer gladly signed an autograph because you revered him and wanted his signature.

I guess the pinbacks just remind me of a life that was a little simpler. Like I said, I’m a dinosaur.
Old 02-17-2023, 09:50 AM
Mike Kendall

I’m also old school with a similar background to you. For me these pinbacks are part of history that is gone. I still remember the venders outside ballparks selling their non-licensed items. At one time wearing pins of your favorite team or player was important. Those days are long gone. I always wonder about the history of any pin I acquire including when and where it was originally bought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D1E8E0DD-ACBA-454F-98F4-74929261B496.jpg (183.8 KB, 344 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 02-17-2023, 09:53 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
I’m also old school with a similar background to you. For me these pinbacks are part of history that is gone. I still remember the venders outside ballparks selling their non-licensed items. At one time wearing pins of your favorite team or player was important. Those days are long gone. I always wonder about the history of any pin I acquire including when and where it was originally bought.
That is an outstanding photo, Mike!
Old 02-17-2023, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Is there a way to tell the new ones from the originals?
For this pinback design specifically, I've seen quite a few over the years that seem to have a different backing material, with bright and shiny rims, and just overall look new. I understand that there is "new, old stock" for some vintage items, but some of these just seemed much newer than 50s or even 60s to me.
Old 02-17-2023, 11:51 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
For this pinback design specifically, I've seen quite a few over the years that seem to have a different backing material, with bright and shiny rims, and just overall look new. I understand that there is "new, old stock" for some vintage items, but some of these just seemed much newer than 50s or even 60s to me.
I guess a little rust can be a welcomed sight!
Old 02-17-2023, 12:52 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
I guess a little rust can be a welcomed sight!
Right.... Grading be damned.

We like them clean, but (unlike cards) signs of age are very much welcomed (especially when confined to the reverse side )
Old 02-18-2023, 12:59 PM
Rob

Quote:
That is an outstanding photo, Mike!
Check out the sweater on the left. Is that a pennant safety pinned to his sweater? If so, it’s a pennant I’ve never seen before!
Old 02-18-2023, 01:12 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Check out the sweater on the left. Is that a pennant safety pinned to his sweater? If so, it’s a pennant I’ve never seen before!
Good eye Rob. That has to be a pennant and obviously a Dodger. Maybe a pennant expert will recognize it.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Old 02-18-2023, 08:49 PM
Rob

Quote:
Good eye Rob. That has to be a pennant and obviously a Dodger. Maybe a pennant expert will recognize it.
It’s weird, though…looks like National League Champs, but without a Dodgers reference.
Old 02-20-2023, 03:12 PM
Jim Reynolds

Went back to that antique store from last week to pick up those two other crossed bat pinbacks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 921FC3A6-D5A7-4BD1-9A17-D4A53C0E488E.jpg (203.2 KB, 295 views)
Old 02-20-2023, 04:00 PM
Jim Reynolds

Oh, and my previously noted Cubs pinback finally arrived!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 179E9D8B-578D-440C-942F-BBA994708658.jpg (180.5 KB, 291 views)
Old 02-21-2023, 12:27 PM
Jim Reynolds

I really don't mean to monopolize the thread, but here i go again.

I was doing some research on my recent purchases. I had assumed that my Milwaukee Braves, LA Dodgers and St. Louis Cardinals crossed bats pinbacks were all of 1960's vintage. I stumbled across Paul Muchinsky's old blog? I guess and I saw a Cardinals pin of his that resembled mine, but the font was different. I've pictured them both below. Mine is on the left and Muchinsky's is on the right.

Is there any way to date these? is there any rhyme or reason for the different font styles? I know that you guys said that they maker was never identified, but with the different fonts it makes me think that there was more than one maker, no?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cardspin1.jpg (126.8 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg Muchinskycards1.jpg (115.0 KB, 280 views)
Old 02-21-2023, 02:05 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
I really don't mean to monopolize the thread, but here i go again.

I was doing some research on my recent purchases. I had assumed that my Milwaukee Braves, LA Dodgers and St. Louis Cardinals crossed bats pinbacks were all of 1960's vintage. I stumbled across Paul Muchinsky's old blog? I guess and I saw a Cardinals pin of his that resembled mine, but the font was different. I've pictured them both below. Mine is on the left and Muchinsky's is on the right.

Is there any way to date these? is there any rhyme or reason for the different font styles? I know that you guys said that they maker was never identified, but with the different fonts it makes me think that there was more than one maker, no?
I don’t know of any way to date these for sure. I do believe the 1.25 inch version came out first in the late 1930s, and the 1.75 inch version followed a few years later. As for variations of basically the same pin, it’s probably just the result of a new press run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 138DC466-AEB8-4CEC-A50D-991FC967749C.jpg (189.4 KB, 274 views)

Old 02-21-2023, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I don’t know of any way to date these for sure. I do believe the 1.25 inch version came out first in the late 1930s, and the 1.75 inch version followed a few years later. As for variations of basically the same pin, it’s probably just the result of a new press run.
Yes, and depending upon how you look at it, fun or frustration for variation chasers. But these are all great fun to see.

Last edited by icollectDCsports; 02-21-2023 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-23-2023, 03:25 PM
Mike Kendall

Since we were on the subject of Crossed Bat pins, I was wondering if anyone has seen a “Go-Go” version for any team other than the Cubs, White Sox, Orioles or Reds? The Cubs and Sox are the only ones I’ve seen in the 3.5 inch size. Paul had the only Reds version I have seen in his book and I don’t remember it coming up for sale, although I might have missed it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0BAE3A37-C57E-4FAD-9F6B-BF4070F5B422.jpg (205.1 KB, 239 views)

Old 02-23-2023, 04:21 PM
Rob

Quote:
Since we were on the subject of Crossed Bat pins, I was wondering if anyone has seen a “Go-Go” version for any team other than the Cubs, White Sox, Orioles or Reds? The Cubs and Sox are the only ones I’ve seen in the 3.5 inch size. Paul had the only Reds version I have seen in his book and I don’t remember it coming up for sale, although I might have missed it.
Those are great. I wasn’t even aware there were others besides the White Sox. Wasn’t the “Go-Go Sox” their “thing”?
Old 02-23-2023, 04:41 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Those are great. I wasn’t even aware there were others besides the White Sox. Wasn’t the “Go-Go Sox” their “thing”?
Yes, I believe that was the ‘59 Sox slogan as they ran a lot.

Old 02-23-2023, 05:02 PM
Al

Quote:
Mike I believe you are correct I havnt seen any others ,as the ones you mentioned .... Great pins... also havnt seen Pauls reds one up for sale..

Old 03-02-2023, 04:13 PM
Jim Reynolds

Today’s antique store rescues, complete with vintage rust!

I was reading on a pinback webpage (https://baseballpinbackbuttons.wordp...r-derivatives/) the following quote “In 1962 when the Minnesota Twins joined the Major Leagues, the Midwest Badge and Novelty Company of Minneapolis issued a set of 1.75” pins for all the MLB teams. The pin for the Twins featured the image of two ballplayers shaking hands, symbolic of the Twin Cities. A crossed bats pin was made for every other team”

Is the Twins pinback pictured here the one described in the quote or am I missing something? I would think this one is smaller than the quote described.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 799FCACA-62C0-42BC-95F4-17C6053899F4.jpg (219.5 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (184.6 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by Vintagedeputy; 03-02-2023 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-02-2023, 07:15 PM
Marty K.

Default Pm 10

One year collection...Looking for others I don't have..

Thanks, Marty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20230210_180650242.jpg (201.6 KB, 200 views)

Last edited by yanks4; 03-02-2023 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-02-2023, 08:33 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks4 View Post

Thanks, Marty
Whoa! That’s a helluva year! Is the red and blue NY one a football Giants pinback?
Old 03-02-2023, 08:56 PM
Rob

Quote:
Whoa! That’s a helluva year! Is the red and blue NY one a football Giants pinback?
There are some NY Giants pins that I think were sold during both seasons. I’ve seen identical pins with both football or baseball “charms.” Red and blue would seem to be the football colors but the Giants baseball team went through many colors before the settled on orange and black.
Old 03-03-2023, 08:10 AM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Today’s antique store rescues, complete with vintage rust!

I was reading on a pinback webpage (https://baseballpinbackbuttons.wordp...r-derivatives/) the following quote “In 1962 when the Minnesota Twins joined the Major Leagues, the Midwest Badge and Novelty Company of Minneapolis issued a set of 1.75” pins for all the MLB teams. The pin for the Twins featured the image of two ballplayers shaking hands, symbolic of the Twin Cities. A crossed bats pin was made for every other team”

Is the Twins pinback pictured here the one described in the quote or am I missing something? I would think this one is smaller than the quote described.
See post 1181 for picture of Twins pin from the Midwest Badge set.

Old 03-03-2023, 09:33 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
See post 1181 for picture of Twins pin from the Midwest Badge set.
Wow, that's excellent Mike! Thanks for the quick reply. Guess mine is a more generic 60's or 70's pin.

So much to learn!
Old 03-03-2023, 12:03 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Antique store Pick-ups.

Not sure on the date or rarity on any of them.

Charge! I thought looked 70s.

Small orioles one has a magnet back. No idea on time period for this one.

Plastic Phillies Ring I assume is a charm from a Pinback? Probably 50s.?

Would love you alls input.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 03-03-2023, 12:28 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas00 View Post
Antique store Pick-ups.

Not sure on the date or rarity on any of them.

Charge! I thought looked 70s.

Small orioles one has a magnet back. No idea on time period for this one.

Plastic Phillies Ring I assume is a charm from a Pinback? Probably 50s.?

Would love you alls input.
I believe the Charge pin is 1966.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0D41DC47-6727-46D0-8323-B38393C2B872.jpg (192.2 KB, 189 views)

Old 03-03-2023, 12:42 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks4 View Post

Thanks, Marty
Great grouping of pins! I especially like all the attachments which is exactly how they were sold by vendors outside stadiums. The Dizzy Dean attachment is much harder to find than the small pennant seen on the Big Bill Lee. It clearly dates these pins from 1938. There is also a Gabby Hartnett.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A324E3E4-4420-4297-81F1-4C5A2DBF2601.jpg (190.1 KB, 181 views)

Old 03-03-2023, 01:26 PM
Rob

As for Lucas’ Phillies ring….I don’t think it’s a pinback charm. I think it’s just a ring; possibly from a gum ball machine (or elsewhere).
Old 03-03-2023, 03:37 PM
Jim Reynolds

Found a new antique store today that I had never heard of but apparently it’s been in business for six years. This place was the antique store to end all antique stores. Bigger than anything I’ve ever been in.

So how bad do I have this newfound pinback obsession? Here’s the three big containers of Pinback Buttons that I looked through this afternoon by laying on the floor and sorting through them for over an hour. After I looked through all these, I thought I was done but spotted two smaller jars on the shelf so they’ll have to get looked at next time. I probably have about 15 or 20 new holes in my fingers from getting stabbed while sorting through all of these, but I was able to come up with a few goodies.

Two ‘65 Guys chips pins, the Cubs pinback and the Luzinski.

The airplane one is from a non-sports set that I picked up only because I already have another one so I thought it would be fun to collect those as well. The Reynolds ones were just throw-ins because that’s my last name so I couldn’t resist buying those two.

I did not buy the Fenway one, but I just thought it was neat as it obviously has a baseball connection to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B4541DE1-9F06-402A-A45E-1FA8835D3F3F.jpg (206.6 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg B7D63DE8-054D-4185-90B8-1204026E70F3.jpg (210.0 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg DE894044-3599-4F0F-BBD8-A5BAEAB93B4D.jpg (182.3 KB, 178 views)
Old 03-03-2023, 04:04 PM
Rob

Nice pickups, Jim. I have no idea what you’re paying for your finds but there’s no need to overpay. Some pinbacks can fetch thousands but others, like the Guy’s chips, are pretty common. Some eBay sellers think they can send their kids to college on such stuff but all can be found cheaply, with patience.
Old 03-03-2023, 04:40 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Nice pickups, Jim. I have no idea what you’re paying for your finds but there’s no need to overpay. Some pinbacks can fetch thousands but others, like the Guy’s chips, are pretty common. Some eBay sellers think they can send their kids to college on such stuff but all can be found cheaply, with patience.
Appreciate the info, Rob. I’m paying what I feel are very fair prices. For example, I paid $20 for the 7 pins that I bought today. At $2.85 a pin, I feel very comfortable with what I paid.
Old 03-03-2023, 08:28 PM
Rob

Quote:
Appreciate the info, Rob. I’m paying what I feel are very fair prices. For example, I paid $20 for the 7 pins that I bought today. At $2.85 a pin, I feel very comfortable with what I paid.
Very fair! Good job. Here’s the Giants Crane’s and Guy’s:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10BEBC95-5C3B-486E-8920-5B7DC5066286.jpg (194.1 KB, 188 views)
Old 03-04-2023, 12:58 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Boy, they sure did like to reuse that same phrasing, didn’t they!
Old 03-04-2023, 05:00 AM
Jim Reynolds

Anyone know when this Cubs pin that I found yesterday may have been made? I’m assuming 50s-60s???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 84426D88-195B-43E0-A7BB-34F887E26078.jpg (96.6 KB, 174 views)
Old 03-06-2023, 03:21 PM
Jim Reynolds

Today’s finds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 74162599-A252-4770-837D-DB659E2D4A25.jpg (218.3 KB, 150 views)
Old 03-06-2023, 04:15 PM
Rob

Quote:
Anyone know when this Cubs pin that I found yesterday may have been made? I’m assuming 50s-60s???
I think more like 40s-50s, but I could be wrong.
Old 03-06-2023, 05:11 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Love the tab, I see this one survived its one bend and rebend. I don't know why they don't get more love, they are SO tough to find with the tabs intact. Here's my little collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0844 (800x600).jpg (109.7 KB, 149 views)

Last edited by Hankphenom; 03-06-2023 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-06-2023, 05:13 PM
Gary

2 new arrivals today

1900-1910 Recruit Little Cigars Philadelphia Athletics
1936 Jimmy Foxx Life Bread "Yours for Life" Pin

Thanks for a fellow Net54'er I found these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230307_000620.jpg (189.9 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by UKCardGuy; 03-06-2023 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-06-2023, 05:34 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
I think more like 40s-50s, but I could be wrong.
Appreciate it! Trying to learn as much as I can.
Old 03-06-2023, 05:37 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
2 new arrivals today

1900-1910 Recruit Little Cigars Philadelphia Athletics
1936 Jimmy Foxx Life Bread "Yours for Life" Pin

Thanks for a fellow Net54'er I found these.
That Recruit pin looks brand new! Wow!