NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-19-2006, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Default An Analysis of the Yorktown Heights T 206 PSA 8 E-Bay Auction

Posted By: JimCrandell

No--you are wrong again here. What really got grading going is legendary collectors like Fogel, Merkel and others endorsing grading and leading dealers jumping on the bandwagon.

If you were around then, vintage collectors had lost complete confidence in non-graded cards and PSA came in to fill a tremendous void. What has followed has been a boom in the vintage card market due mainly to the advent of card grading.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

My response to your......

"However, if one tracks expenditure on E Bay of 50's and 60's cards in PSA 9
the prices for SGC 88 E-93's or PSA 8 T 206's appears to be reasonable.

What do you think abou that Ted?"

"Reasonable ?".......there is nothing in my opinion "reasonable" in any of these
prices (sold); whether, for preWar and especially post-War cards. I retired at
age 51, because as I said in my above post, I made some very prudent invest-
ments with the discretionary money I earned while I was working as a profes-
sional for almost 30 years.

I had a family of 4 to support; however, I still was able to set $$ aside for my
sportscard collecting hobby. Bruce, in order to tell you where I am coming from....
the most I have ever paid for a single BB card is $2000 for a 1951 Bowman MM
(in Ex-Mt condition) to complete my 1951 set.

I firmly believe on the "law of large #'s"....if I am going to spend multi-K $$$$,
then I will acquire a large collection. Just call it "getting the most bang for your
buck".

Back in December, I acquired a collection of 500+ (all different) T206's at the
Philly Show. And, just a month ago I came across an original T206 "find" of 440
cards. This is the way I have operated for 30 years now in this hobby. But, by
no means do I say others should "wheel & deal" as I do.

To each his own........regards, TED Z

Old 09-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

After reading these posts, and having a pretty good laugh over the use of the phrase "card terrorist," I've come to a conclusion.
Bruce tends to post topics that relate cards as commodities, much like porkbellies, oil, or soy. Now there's nothing wrong with that, because hey, cards ARE in fact traded like these commodities. However, I think where the rift occurs is that this is a board about the hobby, and a place to gain more knowledge about specific issues of baseball cards. When a topic appears that really just deals with a price (remember that 11 yr old kid?), it rubs people the wrong way.
Of course, the high prices paid for a common t206 card amazes most people, that doesn't seem to be the thrust of this board.
Personally, I've learned a ton from my 2 years on here, and made some pretty cool friends. I look forward to many more years on here.

This is not to say that Bruce or anybody should be bashed for posting about low pop/high prices paid for a card. Hey, if someone has the money to spend on a Lattimore in an 8, fantastic, I applaud your success! I'm just trying to figure out why every time Dorskind posts here, there are like 90 replies which eventually turn into a class warfare debate.
End of my ramble, flame away!
Josh

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 09-19-2006, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Jim, you said essentially the same thing I did but in a different way. I got out of the hobby in 1991 becuase of my absolute disgust with the hobby and the direction it was going. The last show I set up at was the Labor Day show in SF in 1991. I remember their being a both with a company offereing to professionally grade cards. After that show, I diassapeared from hobby until 5 years ago, so I missed out on the birth and growth of slabbing industry.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Crandall is the only person that has ever claimed there was a class war going on here. My issue is with him and Dorkskin and their attitude, not the money they have.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Administrator

I am not talking about a class war just what is going on in the market. Others have commented on the validity of my comments.
Its okay to talk about ecomomic issues as they relate to card collecting.

Remember you are the one blowing your own horn about your fabulous economic returns.

Graded cards have irreversably changed the nature of the hobby. You can stick your head in the sand which you are doing or you can recognize reality and explain why this is going on which I nhave attempted to do.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Because I don't buy PSA8 cards means that I am burying my head in the sand? I fully understand the implication and impact of graded cards. Why do you think I did all the leg work I did to get my e90-3 Hofnlan graded? It's becuase I knew that it would maximize the sale price of the card. I offered the card raw on ebay for a $200 BIN and no one bought it. Put it in a slab and magically it becomes a $2750 plus juice. Any card I have of significant value that I plan on selling will be slabbed. They generally get slabbed anyway, just to protect them from me.

I don't neccessarily get great returns on my cards. What I do is buy cards shrewdly and don't overspend on cards. Anyone with a lot of moeny can throw a ton cash at anything they want. Trying to collect what we do with a limited budget, which is most board members problems as evidenced by the number of people seeking advice on how to collect on a budget, much more of a challenge than have the kind of moeny that you and a few others have, that can just throw what most of considered unlimited funds at to buy the cards you want.

Jay

Old 09-19-2006, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I hear a lot of bootstrapping rhetoric offline from some folks to justify whatever excesses they want to justify in their collecting. It is nice rhetoric but it doesn't play in the real world. I am a product of privilege; I owe a large part of what I achieved to being raised by wealthy parents who were able to send me to the best prep schools, universities and graduate programs. I went to school with scions of large fortunes, including some of the Forbes 400's kids. None of them earned it. None of them "deserved" it. They were simply born lucky. I socialize with many people who are nothing special but who emerged from the dot com boom with options that ended up worth fortunes. They did not deserve it nor did they earn it, they simply worked at the right company at the right time and happened to get some pieces of those companies when the friends and family were granted stock. Other wealthy people I know started out with no educational debts and inherited family businesses or six figures worth of family assets.

My point is simple: I do not appreciate analyses that equate worldy success with virtue. Some rich folks are virtuous just as some companies are run ethically. Many others are not. It is a case by case analysis.

As I said before: spend what you want on what you like, just stay the hell out of boxing cards.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Wow.

I don't think there is that much a class struggle between the rich and the poor, unless someone makes something of it. We belong for the most part to this free forum where people come in here and talk about collecting and the pure joy of it.

When we make a purchase, we throw it up on a collecting thread and people are congratulated for their purchases. You hear statements like: "That's a strong '4'!" or, "Wow, nice looking front, there must only be back damage!". When someone proudly finished up a T206 set in low grade after ten years, we all congratulate them. This is the kind of community that this is.

The thing about this board is that we all LOVE our cards! Would Jim or Bruce ever congratulate your feable PSA4? Of course not. Remember when Adam J. Moraine started that thread which lasted way into the next year about cards that weren't Mint were worthless and will never be worth anything? What's the difference?

Bruce, you are a successful person in the world. Why must you resort to words like "card terrorist" and telling people they hate America...why? Because he can't afford (nor would he want to) to pay $7,000 for a common?

I was in Las Vegas six years ago and there was a crowd around this one area of the poker room. It was Bill Gates. What stakes was he playing? He was playing the same stakes that I was playing at the time. $3/6. He didn't belittle anyone at the table for playing those stakes. He was having a great time and joked and laughed with the rest of the nine players. I later got an autograph of him and he couldn't have been nicer.

DJ

Old 09-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Administrator

High stakes gambling in LV. The game is the same whether it is a buck a bet or ten thousand a bet. I have a friend who's a high roller (they send the jet for him; he bets in the millions). He can't explain it, either.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

DJ, I think you owe Jim an apology. To suggest that he views cards as a status symbol solely is really an ignorant position to take and, more importantly, not true. I don't know Bruce at all but I find it impossible to believe he doesn't love the history of cards and baseball. In addition, should anyone want a real status symbol in life they buy a fancy car, home or woman - not baseball cards. Anyway you guys want to slice it, those who wish they had more money resent those that have that money and figure out ways to subtley insult them, all the while trying to make it seem as if they are impervious to such earthly concerns such as chasing the dollar....

Blast rich people all you want, claim that they are merely lucky in business or given money via the Lucky Sperm Club, the bottom line is that if you take samples of 1 million rich people compared to 1 million poor people, you'll find that the richer on average work harder, are more industrious and have higher intelligences - and probably have better baseball card collections too. That doesn't mean there aren't a zillion people who don't fit either generalization -- but the generalization is true nonetheless.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

I think this comes down to begrudging the kid who brought the Nolan Ryan rookie card to school, not because he collected cards, but because he knew it was "worth" more than the '80 Jack Clark that the rest of us coveted.

Looking back, we all know that kid didn't collect of like baseball cards, but liked trying to be the "best," when he had nothing else to offer (blame his parents), but having the best of the best (501's, Izod's, etc.)...

I am in no way suggesting that Bruce or Jim or whomever, were or are those kids. I don't know them. But- I think that people here (myself included, I'll have to admit)- have a problem with the "in your face" attitude (that may very well be no more than a perception). And- have a problem with the suggestion that these rich kids are driving the hobby (they're not - as we have previously discussed).

If you can afford a $9K common and truly enjoy the hobby, more power to ya (and thanks for boxing me out of those auctions- haha). BUT- if you're paying $9K for a common just to prove a point, save it for the playground.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Chicks dig the set registry.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Administrator

There's always that...

Old 09-19-2006, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I think everybody needs to find their comfort zone. Some people are extremely competitive, for whatever reasons, and need to have the best of everything. Others are happy to live life in a slower lane and just enjoy themselves as best they can. These different lifestyles also reflect how people collect. The hobby is full of VG's and PSA-8's so let's just agree there's something for everyone. I know this sounds trite but there is no resolution to this issue. Let the zillionaires collect what they want and others collect what makes them happy. I do however, object to the notion that money makes you both classier and more intelligent. I think it only makes you wealthier; life's other attributes have to be earned, too.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: bruce dorskind

I believe you got an autograph from him (Bill Gates) not an autograph of him.

I would appreciate it that if you choose to attack me, please stick to the facts.

Here they are

1. I collect cards because I love them. I have been active in the hobby
since 1976 and published numerous articles. I consulted to Wharton
Tigar when he was working on his 5 part catalog and visited him at his
home in London. His collection now resides in the British museum

2. I am currently consulting to two museums and a national magazine
which is about to write a major feature story on card collecting.

3. I have the largest collection of collector correspondence dating back
to 1929.

4. Since entering the hobby, I have only focused on rare cards in top
condition. The Four Base Hits I purchased from Rob Lifson in 1977 for
the then outrageous sum of $600 is now the second highest (from
either service) graded Four Hit. The Just So Tobacco I purchased for $500
is the highest graded Just So. Finally, the uncut 1912 Boston Garter Sheet
purchased for $20,000 from Mastro is now appraised at 10 times that figure

The point is I acquired the best I could afford because they were the most
attractive cards, and it was my belief that they would hold their value.

Remember what Coach Lombardi said "Luck is what happens when preparation
meets ability." Though it is doubtful you would know anything about ability

Bruce

Old 09-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Whilst I was reading the post above, I just about wanted to throw myself off the balcony. Wow.

Fortunately it ended, so I'm still here.

Wealth? Yawn.
Reason for collecting? Each person's personal business.
Correcting grammar? Belittling occupations? Lock the door to the balcony. There's only so much of that I can stand.

Joann

Old 09-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I am right with you...and am not taking sides. I do always enjoy it when folks try to correct grammar and then sort of stick their foot in a big pile of pooh .....I especially liked the one from right above:

"I believe you got an autograph from him (Bill Gates) not an autograph of him.

I would appreciate it that if you choose to attack me, please stick to the facts."

I rarely correct grammar as I am liable to stick my foot in the pile too...so I just go on with my B+ grammar.......regards

Old 09-19-2006, 12:04 PM
Administrator

DJ,

Why are you making these ignorant comments?

I love cards and know a tremendous amount about the history of the game.

Do I know as much about pre-war cards as Jay? No, but I think I know as much as many on this board.

Just because I collect PSA 8 cards and better is no reason to presume that I do not love the hobby. As I have said before, my experience in graded cards has been that the people who are the most passionate about the hobby are those with high grade collections.

Your comments are way out of line.

Jim

Old 09-19-2006, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

Your B+ grammer continues to keep you firmly ensconced as the Grand Poobah of the Net54 board. Others can only hope to aspire to such a lofty throne......

Not sure St. Peter (or whomever holds the key to the gates for everyone's individual religions....) will be checking to see if your T206 Lindaman is PSA8 or VG ungraded before opening the pearly gates. There's much more to be debated in life than whose is better (or bigger I guess....).

Don't want to sound like a bleeding heart because I'm far from it but who puts this much time into their personal lives or their kids lives, their churches, their communities, etc. Hope we not only keep PSA1-10 in perspective but everything else too.

I'm glad I can afford Bounty and not the cost cutter version.....anyone wanna debate that........JIF vs. Skippy? Pepperidge Farm vs. Sunbeam?

Old 09-19-2006, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: sagard

Not to interupt the contest...

But did anyone else think money was left on the table by not arranging a private sale of some of the cards. I realize that pricing these may be difficult, but it sure seems like some of these bidders would pay virtually any asking price.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Quoting Bruce:

Whilst I agree with many of the points that Ted makes, how can one argue that
$7000 for a 100 year old card with a population of 1 is too much when
certain cards from the 1950's sell for 40% more money in mint condition

Case in point - from Vintage Card Prices.com

1957 Topps Don Drysdale PSA 9

6/15/06 Mile High $10,549.70

Which card would you rather have?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Most of us would probably say "Neither." However you could buy a very presentable example of either card in a PSA 5 for a very reasonable cost.

Most of cannnot or will not spend $10k on a single card. If the question were "Given $10k of free money, what would you buy," the answers would range from caramel cards to Diamond Stars to Zeenuts to Old Judges to Kal Bats to Allen & Ginters, to Boxing(!) cards (Hi, Adam),etc. That's what makes this a great forum and a great hobby.

I've got a couple of PSA 8s of Eddie Mathews, my favorite player. PSA 8s are great looking cards.But generally I'm interested in cards that rarely get graded or, if they do get graded, grade very low.

This card is one of my favorites and may well be one of a kind. The Drysdale card was worth $10k to whoever bought it and the T206 Lattimore was worth $7700 to whoever bought it. Mostly likely neither buyer would be interested in the Darby card. So everybody should be happy.

I had no plans to grade this card but now that I know that chicks dig the set registry . . .

Old 09-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Administrator

DJ, even I wouldn't say Crandall doesn't love his cards. That's been obvious form many of his posts.

Jeff, I've been on both sides of the wealth spectrum. I now currently reside on the lower side. You know what? I am a much happier person now than when I had a lot of money. It's personal decision for me to work a common low wage job than pursue a career in nuclear engineering. I have better things to do with my life than work 50-60 hours per week. So don't assume I am speaking from a position of ignorance. As they say, "Been there. Done that."

Jay

Old 09-19-2006, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Here's something to ponder: If I had 20 slabbed T206's, and ten of them graded PSA-8 and the other ten graded PSA-7, and I covered up the labels and mixed them up, how many collectors of high grade cards would be able to get them all right? My guess is none, and it's possible many wouldn't even come close. Assuming anyone agrees with this statement, then how does one justify the huge premium for high grade cards?

Old 09-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Barry, easy answer....EGO!!!

Jay

Old 09-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Jay, I don't disagree with your point at all or your life decision. I actually commend it and am a bit jealous to be honest. My comment re ignorance was simply based on DJ's insult of Bruce and Jim by claiming that they don't give a crap about baseball cards or history. It's just not true and his assertion was ignorant, i.e., made without the necessary knowledge or facts to render a correct opinion.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Administrator

On the 10 PSA 8, 10 PSA 7 question. I think a lot of people would get 80% correct. This is also the likely the same rate if PSA were to grade them again.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Spaeth

"Do Jim and Bruce love cards? No! Do they love the rich history of baseball? No! All they see is a status symbol, investment potential, registry numbers and cha-ching."

Unless you know Jim or Bruce personally, how do you have ANY basis for making this statement? And since you don't have any basis for making it, why say it in the first place?

Old 09-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Administrator

If Sagard is right, and my guess was about 15, then an awful lot of $1000 cards could become $5000 cards, or vice versa, based on some very subjective criteria.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

My intent was to basically ignore this thread after I got Jim's answers. It was "too each is own" and his answers spoke volumes on what he believed. That's all fine. It started out as a healty debate and I apologize Jim. I should have taken a walk before writing what I wrote.

Jeff, the only apology I need to issue is if in fact I was incorrect in whether Jim and/or Bruce actually enjoy trading cards. If I was wrong on this, I'm big enough to apologize. I know neither men, all I know is their words. As noted above, I should have taken a walk.

Jeff, I'm not blasting rich people and if you think I am, you are dead wrong. I AM blasting rich people who belittle those who don't have the means to put together a great collection because they don't have the available funds for one reason or another.

Bruce's behavior toward Jay was truly off base and I guess I was coming to his defense. Do I know Jay? No. Do I always agree with Jay? Um, no.

Then Bruce writes, "Doubtful I know anything about ability?" You don't even know me. What the hell are you talking about?

I have means, continue to make a great living and have made a pretty great life for myself. I wouldn't change a thing in my life if I had to do it over again.

DJ

Old 09-19-2006, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Agreed with Peter.

Furthermore, I would hope that "cha ching" wouldn't much enter into it. My impression would be that someone with the wherewithal to have earned enough money in his lifetime to build a T206 set in 8 wouldn't be using baseball cards as his primary investment strategy.

As far as the overall issue is concerned, I can't believe the venom that some people generate over it. Who cares? People collect all sorts of things in all sorts of ways - far be it from me to criticize it, I'd rather learn from it. Much more fun, and much more peaceful.

-Al

Old 09-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Administrator

DJ,

Apology accepted--lets move on.

If you knew me, you would know I am a passionate collector
who loves all sports but particularly baseball. I also have never met anyone who loves his cards more than me. I collect so many sets because I love them all--except 1970 Kellogg(inside joke--just kidding).

We collect differently--I have strong beliefs--I believe graded cards are the future of the hobby and that vintage high-grade cards are a great investment.

But I also believe that others can collect differently and that their way of collecting is equally valid.

Enjoy the hobby.

Jim

Old 09-19-2006, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I think some of you guys are cheating on your work and I know it is not Jay, because he doesn't work much.

Lee

Old 09-19-2006, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

"But did anyone else think money was left on the table by not arranging a private sale of some of the cards. I realize that pricing these may be difficult, but it sure seems like some of these bidders would pay virtually any asking price."

Ah, but if that happened, this thread would never have existed!

Seriously, I don't know what would have been a better way to sell these cards. Maybe a catalog auction like Mastro or REA would have brought even more money. Maybe a private sale would have brought more. But here are the negatives with both of those:

- catalog auction negative: each increment is usually 10%. When it gets that high, it is possible someone wants to pay higher than the next current bid, but not 10% higher. Thus the seller possibly loses say 5% more because of the auction format.

- private sale negative: some people don't like to negotiate a specific price because they aren't sure if they are paying too much. If they win an auction, they know they won it at slightly higher than the other guy's highest bid. But if they paid a private sale price, then they could have paid much higher. I think some people are more comfortable buying in an auction than a private sale for this reason.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

I am relatively new to this board and just wanted to offer my two cents. My name is Jay and I am 15 years old and exclusively collect T206s.

Every card I buy is with my personal money that I have allotted to spend on cards. I strive for the best condition possible but at this point of my life cannot come close to spending $7,700 for a Lattimore no matter how nice condition. So, I try to find a great gradeable common card in EX condition for about 20 to 30 dollars.

By shopping around and spending wisely, great cards can be bought at great prices. This is also part of the fun of collecting: making deals to get great cards. I would not enjoy it nearly as much if I was so rich that I could shell out 5 million and just buy a complete PSA 8 set.

I also want to note that the main difference between a PSA 4 or 5 and an 8 is that the corners are perfect rather than a bit of wear. Does this lack of a bit of wear justify spending $7,500 more? Maybe, it just depends on the person, the goal, and the budget.

I look for the best condition that I can afford, and most importantly I enjoy what I am doing. This should be a hobby and not an investment. I think that some members on this board should realize that we all collect because we love the game and love the cards (at least I hope we do).

Whenever I look at a PSA 4 T206 I can think to myself, "Wow this survived in reasonably good condition for 95 years." Someone else might say "I would never spend a penny on a card that is in such bad condition."

Everything in collecting depends on the person.

Regards,
Jay (T206kid)

Old 09-19-2006, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Corey R. Shanus

You're wise beyond your years.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jackgoodman

Jay, welcome to the board and thank you for renewing my faith in the educational system of this country. Your comments were well thought out, intelligent and well written. I wish I had your clarity of purpose (relative to collecting) when I was your age.

Now if we could just send another former board youngster to the same school you attended..........

Old 09-19-2006, 03:21 PM
Administrator

While I'd just as soon see the ultra rich have their assets drained like a keg at a frat house, this isn't the place for a policy debate. Let's take a cue from the kid and get back to cards.

Edited to add name

Old 09-19-2006, 03:28 PM
Administrator

<<<If Sagard is right, and my guess was about 15, then an awful lot of $1000 cards could become $5000 cards, or vice versa, based on some very subjective criteria.>>>

You and I have about the same ideas. In a group of ten 8s, a couple may be questionable. Just like a nice group of ten sevens a couple are probably 8s on a day where the grader is happy.

The $5000 cards don't become $1000 cards though for obvious reasons.

Soren

Old 09-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

GEE....Your post is a refreshing breeze, on what has become a very long-winded,
with not too much meaningful commentary on this Thread.

What ever happened to the exciting days of bragging about acquiring a "valuable"
BB card (it's irrelevant what circa it's from) for a bargain price ?

Instead, they are now bragging about paying 7700 for a T206 Minor League card of
Lattimore (which, incidently I have 5 of them from Vg to near Mint).

I would be embarrassed to boast about such a purchase......But, I guess we are
living in an "upside-down-world", nowadays.

TED Z

Old 09-19-2006, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I did not notice anybody boasting about paying high prices for a Latimore or any other card. Occassionally there are threads about the great deals people have gotten, but I have never seen anybody brag about paying a lot for a card.
JimB

Old 09-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Bruce, since you seem to be so hung up on grammar, care to explain in detail to use simple, pedestrian collectors why you keep refering to yourself as "we" instead of "I"? Or is "we" misspeclled and actuially a French word that was taught to you by French servants that raised you?

Jay

Old 09-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

Which is better?

Bragging about paying $7700 for a PSA 8 T206 common? (BTW, who did brag about that? I don't think any of those winners posted in this thread and I doubt they read this forum regularly)

or

Bragging about ripping off some old lady's face off by giving her $10 for $500 worth of cards?

They both suck.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:23 PM
Administrator

ripping an old lady's face off (not being sarcastic; it really does sum up what some folks make it sound like they do). Or did you mean ripping off an old lady to her face? I like the first one better, it has a certain sense of urgency to it.

To answer your question, I don't think it is ever an honest bargain that is the bad part, it is the way the bargainer handles the successful deal. There is a thing called "class" that you can't buy, you can't inherit and you can't fake. Making a good deal is the American way; being a pig about it is not.

The discussion we've had here reminds me of a situation I had recently. I had a friend who got into some money troubles of his own devise and became obsessed with card values as a result. He was so desperate to make money as a card dealer that he could not stand it when anyone made a dime off cards he sold. He got so paranoid that I had to stop being friends with him. He started trying to unravel months-old deals we made because he thought in retrospect that I got the better end of things. It wasn't pretty and definitely reminded me of how friggin serious this stuff can get to some people if it is allowed to escalate.

My point is that I used to rush to the breach to fight over these threads in a very moralistic tone but I am less inclined to do so with this one because I understand how it feels to be on both ends of the debate. I have felt at times like the kid with no money looking into the candy store window and watching the rich kids open boxes of cards and at other times (as was the case with my erstwhile friend) like the rich kid staring out the window at the poor kid wondering why he's so pissed off at me. Unless you are Bill Gates or Sam Walton, we are all on both sides of the equation from time to time. I think we all need a little perspective here. It's just cardboard with pictures of male athletes (which is in no way gay...not that there's anything wrong with that, its perfectly acceptable if it is gay...but it isn't gay. Really).

Old 09-19-2006, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

http://grammarsnobs.com/thebook.html

Old 09-19-2006, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

It certainly is not gay, although the shiney stuff may be. The athletes we collect are all dead. Collecting pictures of dead men isn't gay, its ... oh wait, I know its not that necro thing at all - its history!

Old 09-19-2006, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

I don't want to merge this thread with the "football sucks" thread, but oh, sometimes....

Old 09-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Now that guy looks gay Then again, that whole Ive League, sweater wrapped around the neck thing is pretty gay

Jay

Old 09-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Ace or Gary?

Old 09-20-2006, 12:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

well, i am new to the board...i think i used to look on this board years ago...anyway, i'm basically new to it, glad to have found it. well, i am the winner of the Dick Egan 9 (bill from yorktown told me the next day, "looks like you got the best deal")...i have been collecting T206 cards since 1991 (bought my very first cards from Cavalcade of Sports (thanks for everything Jay!)...long story short, i used to a ton of low-mid grade cards, and then last year decided to "streamline" the collection, basically sold all of the lower-mid grade cards and "re-invested" in high grade-low pop cards...you can see my set on PSA set reg, Sarno-Schuster # 46, but don't let the number fool you...anyway, i guess i am hearing a wide variety of opinions here, but just to give my 2 cents, i am a "true" collector, have never sold a thing prior to march, i know the history of the game, the players and the cards...it was hard for me (as a true collector) to get my head around the idea of collecting to invest, BUT it cannot be denied that collecting high grade/low pop, pre-war cards is an amazing investment. i do collect with a friend, who is in the financial world and he is super analytical, he has approached collecting with that mindset, and has made unbelievable profits, but the beautiful thing is, he is a "true" collector, he knows the stories behind the players and the understanding and appreciation of cardboard printing processes and cigarette distribution in 1909-11, etc, etc. so my big point here is this: you can approach collecting from an investment standpoint AND STILL have an unbelievable passion for collecting...and to respond to someone else's point above, questioning why should a common low pop sell for more than davis (HOF)...to answer that we have to look at the root of our wonderful hobby, it is to hunt, find, buy, cherish hard to find, sought after cards, in real estate it is all about location, location, location...well, our in hobby it is all about condition, condition, condition...also, i am NOT trying to fill a set in 8's/9's...thats a task reserved for a select few...i merely enjoy the mystic and importance of looking at and appreciating an 8 or a 9, and admiring how it has survived 2 worldwars, numerous paper drives, handling prior to slabbing, etc, etc...i have owned many 100's of T206 cards, and i simply decided to switch gears and focus on quality...thats all, nothing more...