NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-13-2010, 09:56 AM
Bob

Default Another disgruntled eBayer!!

I have been user of eBay for over 10 years and over 1100 positive feedbacks until recently I had 2 awful experiences...

A) I sold an autograph John Mccain PSA authenticated ball that my son pulled from a TrisStar Autograph baseball box. He received it as a gift however he could really care a less about a John Mccain auto, so we agreed to sell it on eBay. The person who won the auction said they never got the ball and filed a complaint with eBay. After looking at the guy's feedback, it seems he tried to scam other people in the past, based on feebacks I read. I let eBay know this however eBay ruled that I needed to refund his money, since he said he never got the ball. A few days later, this guy was no longer a registered eBay user.

Result: I'm out the ball, the $65 refund and can not leave this scam artist negative feedback.

B) My wife and I use the same eBay account. She sold some clothes, the total price was 99 cents. The buyer said she never received them and left negative feedback.

Result: The lady left me negative feedback! My first in 10 years! For What!! 99 cents!! If she would have just left me know, I would have refunded her money! Heck, I would have gave her a double refund for her troubles

Just venting!!!
Old 02-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Don

That stinks, I learned my lesson on a $60 card as well.

Always use insurance and delivery confirmation on items you aren't willing to eat the cost.

You couldn't have left him negative feedback anyway, ebay doesn't allow that anymore for buyers.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:04 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I have had a few ebay problems...higher end the item, the more likely you will have a problem. Ironically, I have NEVER had a problem buying and selling APBA baseball cards on ebay.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Barry Arnold

Default ebay

sorry to hear this, shoeless bob.
i understand more and more why the fellas call it fleabag.

best,

barry
Old 02-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Dan Bretta

I think because of ebay/paypal policies more buyers are trying this "I never got it" scam, or even the "It's not in the condition as advertised" scam....and they are doing this because the scale is heavily weighted to the buyer and paypal will almost always side with the buyer.

I read the Star Wars toy collecting boards and someone had recently complained that a buyer used the "Not as advertised" scam on them...the seller clearly stated in the auction that the set was not complete, and the buyer complained to paypal that the set was not complete and wanted a refund. Despite the auction clearly stating the item wasn't complete paypal still sided with the buyer.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:27 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default dunno

In the last week I have had to file 2 complaints as the items described as authentic were fake. They were not expensive and the sellers had perfect, high feedback, so I took the chances.....and lost. So far I have had 3 bad transactions in the last 3 weeks and 2 of them seem to be getting rectified. The other one I am just letting go. Contrary to what someone else said, I think there is a provable, higher percentage of low valued items that have more issues than the higher valued ones. Ebay really is a mine field nowadays......be careful!!
Old 02-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

I can say as a seller on ebay, if you do not use delivery confirmation you will get burnt, its worth its weight in gold. All it took was 2 buyers of my items 3 years ago to claim they didnt get them to see a seller has no chance on this. For a scammer this is too easy, they only have to claim they didnt get the item and they did in fact get it but there is no proof and they get the item and their money back, ouch scammers heaven. I bet they order stuff just hoping that it comes without dc to pull this scam. With dc only costing .19 online its a must on every item sent. ALWAYS get DC!

Now if you use dc the only thing the buyer can claim is its not what was advertised. I offer 100% returns so they can just return it and I will give them their money back and have never had any issues with accepting cards back (granted I sell cards that are not common so I am not worried about a buyer switching them to a lower condition one). Now if you are a seller who does not accept returns (imo bad sign on your part) then this can be used to force a return.

Insurance is for the seller, it protects you. I purchase it on nearly every item I sell over $40 and have never had an issue collecting from the USPS. It protects against the buyer claiming the item was damaged in shipment, whether it really was or not, same goes for them not recieving it. Hey lost mail does happen so it will protect you from this happening also, I had a card show up 10 months after I sent it. Always insure expensive items, I once had a package show up that had a rip in the side and the contents were lost or stolen. In that case dc does little but having insurance you will be covered.

Good luck.

Last edited by smtjoy; 02-13-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:08 PM
K!ya S@bet

Default This is all interesting

As I myself have recently sworn Ebay off. I sold a card to a guy whot sniped it and then demanded that I remove a fee as he felt it was unfair. I refused and and offered just to relist the card but he left a negative anyways. So I did as Leon instructed and bought a cheap card of his and left a negative that he had successfully removed. UGH!

Needless to say as childish and petty as it sounds I used a friends account to leave him another negative that stuck. My wife was disappointed in me, but I was guilty of taking a little pleasure in making his life more difficult.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtjoy View Post
Now if you use dc the only thing the buyer can claim is its not what was advertised.
DC doesn't always work and there is another option than not as advertised, its "not received". I recently was a buyer and it so happened that I had two items (both with DC) supposedly delivered the same day. But the item that I received showed a delivery time 4 minutes before the one that I didn't receive. Needless to say, I had to file a non-receipt of item. There was no way to tell where the item was delivered. Feel sorry for the seller as it clearly wasn't his fault (unless he mistakenly wrote an incorrect address), but I wasn't going to eat the loss.

Not sure it would have turned out in my favor if I didn't have the other item delivered. It would have been my word against his.

r/
Frank

Last edited by Tcards-Please; 02-13-2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: expanded post
Old 02-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Frank did you file an ebay claim that said I didnt recieve the item yet dc showed I did? If so did you win or did the seller just decide to refund you anyways?

You are correct in that dc does not always work but with it combined with insurance it should and in the case you mention if the second package had it then the seller should still be able to get his money back too.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtjoy View Post
Frank did you file an ebay claim that said I didnt recieve the item yet dc showed I did? If so did you win or did the seller just decide to refund you anyways?

You are correct in that dc does not always work but with it combined with insurance it should and in the case you mention if the second package had it then the seller should still be able to get his money back too.
Scott,

I really didn't track the item until it was more than 14 days. When I tracked it, it showed that it was delivered 8 days earlier (just so happened to be the same day as the item I did receive from a different seller). I emailed the seller and told him of my situation and he responded that he had proof that it was delivered and that I was out of luck. I emailed him again and provided both my delivery confirmations that clearly showed that his package was delivered 4 minutes after the other package that I did in fact receive. I awaited his response, but he never responded to my last 2 emails. I had no other option than to file with ebay which sided with me. Again, I'm not sure ebay would have made that determination with me except for the fact of the other DC.

On a side note, I didn't leave the seller negative feedback because I felt bad about his situation as he clearly mailed out a package to my city (dc only shows delivery time, date, city & state, but no street address).

r/
Frank

Last edited by Tcards-Please; 02-13-2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: expanded reply
Old 02-13-2010, 02:39 PM

Last week I was sending out a card in a tan padded envelope and wanted delivery confirmation and was told that I couldn't get it unless the package was at least 3/4" thick. The person even pulled out a plastic square with a 3/4" hole in it and showed me that my envelope was too thin. I told them I get thin packages all the time that they have "DC" on them and I was told that they shouldn't have been sold with DC if they weren't 3/4" thick. This person even confirmed this with her supervisor. When I asked what the thickness has to do with confirming delivery and they just said that was USPS policy. Has anyone else heard of this?? I hope this isn't encoaching on this thread too bad.

dh
Old 02-13-2010, 02:49 PM

Dave- yes one of the local post offices here is notorious for enforcing the "3/4" rule, most don't. I ended up having to shove some junk paper in to fatten it up. Incredibly stupid rule...
tbob
Old 02-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Dave

Dave,
I work for the Post Office and I have never understood exactly why we have the 3/4" rule in place for delivery confirmation. The only reason that I can come up with is that generally something 3/4" thick becomes a parcel rather than a flat, then the PO can charge the parcel price.

I end up crumpling up a paper towel or a small piece of bubble wrap so the package meets the 3/4" rule.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.

Last edited by buymycards; 02-13-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:25 PM

Dave

Yes, that has happened to me also. My local post office has told me the same exact rule.

F.L.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:35 PM
FredYoung

The 3/4" rule also assures the package will be hand canceled instead of run thru the machine. Just tape a packing peanut to the card sandwich, slip in the padded env & you're all set--Been doing this for several yrs.