NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Steven

Default t206 question about alterations/BS

Alright the hoards of you...

I read these posts on trimmed t206s ALL the time like the goodwin/rea plank, wagners and other stars/rare cards. Does it ever turn you guys off that the t206 set is seems so targeted by frauds? But it sure seems that the t206's are a HUGE target and every time I read a thread like the one on the rea plank, it sure makes me not want to get into them just like auto's. These trimmed and altered cards just make this hobby look like a crooks world. I know, I know it happens to several vintage cards but the t206s seem to have the most complaints of alterations, targets and folks arguing about the alterations. I knwo there are several of you out there so it gets discussed ALT, but it makes my stomach turn.

So, does this stuff ever make you want to go "Im done with t206's" or have any of you quit collecting them for this reason? And yes, they are beautiful cards.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:21 PM

A little different than bad autographs. A bad autograph can be compared to a T206 reprint but not an altered card. The altered card is still an original and I would still collect it if it is appealing to the naked eye in a binder.

I just have a real problem with the professional grading of the altered cards.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

No different than art, coins, jewelry, the stock market, or the US government... If large sums of money get involved, fraud will certainly be along for the ride.

The best anyone can do is self educate. Ask questions, learn what you're getting into before you really get in to it, and deal with reputable people and companies in the business.

It's the best you can do really.

Last edited by phikappapsi; 04-17-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:38 PM
pete ullman

I've quit collecting t206's because of the ridiculous prices rare backs have been commanding...and due to their common-ness!

The reason it seems T206's are targeted is because of the sheer # of them and because many novice vintage collectors start with them...and are more succeptible to altered cards...or fakes...in my opinion.

Last edited by ullmandds; 04-17-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
Alright the hoards of you...

I read these posts on trimmed t206s ALL the time like the goodwin/rea plank, wagners and other stars/rare cards. Does it ever turn you guys off that the t206 set is seems so targeted by frauds?
Steven, I think you are confused because there are more posts about T206s and more T206 cards on the market. The ratio of trimming to card is probably the same as for any other set.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Steve

Yes, it drives me nuts. Just as bad as trimming is all of the bleaching that goes on...it seems like people are only concerned about trim jobs while loads of T206 cards glow in the dark. The bleaching isn't just a problem for the T206 crowd...there are plenty of cards from other sets that have been swimming in chemicals and undergone surgery, and I can't stand it. These cards inevitably end up in auctions as miraculous examples, but seriously, were the borders really that white when the cards were in the smokers' hands 100 years ago?

I'm about 40-45% done with my T206 set, but I've put it on hold while I figure out how to proceed...I was going for a nice set in the psa/sgc 5 and 6 range, but I'm too tired of sitting there nit picking over scans searching for clues about the knives and chemicals. It's especially difficult when you can't trust TPG to look for either of them.

The adverse selection with respect to buying online is pretty bad as well. A weak scan of a card in a 5 or 6 equivalent holder? You're likely to end up with an overgraded or altered card...the weak scan or photo is just to cover that up. My problem is going to shows, I can actually see the cards and inspect them (although using a small handheld blacklight is still tough) but then you have to deal with haggling over inflated show prices.

Sorry for getting off topic a little, but the short answer is yes, it's irritating. Putting together the set was a dream in my childhood, and now I finally have the time and resources...but I need to find a more peaceful way of collecting it. that just means slowing down and becoming more selective. I also enjoy collecting cards where the condition isn't as big of a deal as the actual card example itself...

Have a good one,
Steve
Old 04-17-2012, 07:19 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by brass_rat View Post
I'm about 40-45% done with my T206 set, but I've put it on hold while I figure out how to proceed...I was going for a nice set in the psa/sgc 5 and 6 range, but I'm too tired of sitting there nit picking over scans searching for clues about the knives and chemicals.
Have a good one,
Steve
Steve, think about going for an ungraded mid-grade set, choosing cards for visual appeal. Get them cheap, sell off cards you don't like as you find decent upgrades. I've been doing it that way, with the added twist of finding something 'odd' about most of my keepers and upgrading to 'more odder' keepers; e.g: tough backs, two names, misfits, etc. A nice thing about doing it the 'ungraded' way, is that you won't care as much if you think a card might be trimmed - as long as you like it, you keep it. Final benefit: sell off those slabs for big bucks and replace with cheap tobacco top loaders that allow you to easily access your cards and see their true beauty.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Steve, think about going for an ungraded mid-grade set, choosing cards for visual appeal. Get them cheap, sell off cards you don't like as you find decent upgrades. I've been doing it that way, with the added twist of finding something 'odd' about most of my keepers and upgrading to 'more odder' keepers; e.g: tough backs, two names, misfits, etc. A nice thing about doing it the 'ungraded' way, is that you won't care as much if you think a card might be trimmed - as long as you like it, you keep it. Final benefit: sell off those slabs for big bucks and replace with cheap tobacco top loaders that allow you to easily access your cards and see their true beauty.
"Most Excellent Advice!"
Old 04-17-2012, 07:36 PM
Steve

Hey Scott,

That's great advice, thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm Going to do something similar...stepping down a notch in grade (I actually like the visual appeal of slightly rounded corners, call me crazy!) but keeping them the the holders...it makes it easy to move things around, and I don't have to worry about anything when sharing my collection with relatives (some of the younger ones are prone to dropping things...)

I do plan on disposing of some higher grade examples...selling off ones I know are good, and getting the TPG to buy back ones that I can show are bleached.

Thanks,
Steve

Quote:
Old 04-17-2012, 09:06 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I just wonder how many of the trimmed T206's around today, are a result of collectors (like me) who trimmed the cards only because that was the only way to get them into the early plastic pages.

As has been mentioned in another thread here, the early pages made back in the 1970s were side-loading, so any of the oversized T206's would not fit in the page's pockets. The absolute only way to get them in the page was to trim the top/bottom of the cards. I did just that with an absolutely gorgeous Addie Joss portrait and a not so steady x-acto knife

It wasn't until the late '80s/early '90s, I believe, when the first top-loading pages began to appear, that this problem was fixed.

Steve
Old 04-18-2012, 04:29 AM
Steven

Quote:
Steven, I think you are confused because there are more posts about T206s and more T206 cards on the market. The ratio of trimming to card is probably the same as for any other set.
Scott - I understand math, but do you really feel the ratio is the same on altered 206s versus other cards? It sure seems that t206s are the biggest target b/c they have the biggest audience including novices because they are affordable. So do you feel all vintage cards are altered in the same ratio per set?
Old 04-18-2012, 06:51 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
Scott - I understand math, but do you really feel the ratio is the same on altered 206s versus other cards? It sure seems that t206s are the biggest target b/c they have the biggest audience including novices because they are affordable. So do you feel all vintage cards are altered in the same ratio per set?
My initial thought was that the T206 set is not being picked on. If someone could show me some evidence that this is not the case, I would certainly change my mind. I really think that any valuable card is a target for trimming, especially CJ's, as they are thinner, and some of the caramels which have larger and less uniform border sizes.