NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-13-2022, 10:32 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
'88 Donruss Gregg Jefferies?

Seriously, though, I agree with those who have stated the sharpest increase will be a card that is relatively inexpensive right now. Perhaps a $20 card goes to $2,000 or some other 100x jump.

Hell, Mike Trout's Topps Update went from about $20 to about $2,000 in about 10 years.

As much as I like other cards in this thread, I just can't see them keeping up with a percentage increase like that.
I think you hit the nail on the head.
Old 12-13-2022, 10:32 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
'88 Donruss Gregg Jefferies?

Seriously, though, I agree with those who have stated the sharpest increase will be a card that is relatively inexpensive right now. Perhaps a $20 card goes to $2,000 or some other 100x jump.

Hell, Mike Trout's Topps Update went from about $20 to about $2,000 in about 10 years.

As much as I like other cards in this thread, I just can't see them keeping up with a percentage increase like that.
I think you hit the nail on the head.
Old 12-13-2022, 11:06 PM
Tim Odeen

If I have to take a guess on modern, I would say 1993 - 1999 Ken Griffey Jr inserts. Although his cards are pretty strong already. So maybe Frank Thomas, Chipper Jones, Adrian Beltre. Someone who was issued on late 90s Topps Chrome refractors. I think 90s HOFers are waiting to explode.

Earlier than that? You need to buy 80s Tiffany. I think there's still a lot of room to grow in Tiffany - it's very undervalued. 1985 will soon reach 50 years old.

Earlier? Many collectors on this site still are amazed Johnny Bench and Joe Morgan Big Red Machine players are found relatively cheap.

Oddball? I like Kahns. Seems those have room to grow due to rarity.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 12-13-2022, 11:48 PM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
The Goudey Ruth's were printed in huge quantities too but it hasn't hurt their value. Same with Cobb T206s. The Kashin is a playing era card of the Babe at the height of his game and the image could not be improved upon (in my opinion). It's still pretty affordable for even the average collector. I don't know how much longer that will be true.
It being a quadruple print will always hurt its value and pretending it is anything close to the Goudey in demand is funny. It’s a great image and a card anyone should be proud to own but as for the original topic it’s not making the top 100 in my honest opinion.

Last edited by glynparson; 12-13-2022 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-14-2022, 03:48 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintboy View Post
Centered mid to low grade Mantles. The price of higher grade Mantles will be unattainable for a majority of collectors soon. People will still want a Mantle and that will jump the price of the mid low grade Micks.
I think centered vintage pretty much across the board is way undervalued. Finding a truly dead-centered vintage card, at least for most of the 30s, 40s, & 50s sets that I collect, is like finding a unicorn. The number of centered 52 Topps Mantles in existence is around 20.

As more and more collectors wake up to the joke that is PSA's drastically shifting grading standards over time, eye appeal will continue to gain ground in the market. I will gladly pay double or triple "comps" for centered copies of what I'm after. I see this trend getting more aggressive over time as well.
Old 12-14-2022, 05:08 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I think Japanese cards, particularly Oh, have a lot of upside. I've been picking them up since I have no current cardboard object of my acquisition affection.
Old 12-14-2022, 06:58 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
M101-4/5 Ruth, especially rare backs. Best ever, relatively rare (especially compared to the 1952 Mantle), and super iconic. I also think the 1907 Cobb Dietsche Fielding has a lot of room to run, as its relatively cheap now, its a real rookie, and its very rare (like 20 graded). I alsio think Gehrig cards are all undervalued
Again, I'm with Ryan 100% (we have to stop meeting like this or people will talk). There are approximately 40 non-Sporting News, non-blank back Ruth rookies. That is spread over 11 different backs. That makes even the most common non-SN ad back Ruth rookie rare, and three (Wares, Holmes to Homes and Green Joyce have only one known copy). This is the rookie card of the greatest player ever.
Old 12-14-2022, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
It being a quadruple print will always hurt its value and pretending it is anything close to the Goudey in demand is funny. It’s a great image and a card anyone should be proud to own but as for the original topic it’s not making the top 100 in my honest opinion.
If you have 100 other cards in mind why not share your opinion on the topic? That is what the thread is for.
Old 12-14-2022, 07:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default D305 Bond Bread

A lot of folks are talking about rare cards (not for grade, but true rarity). That is NOT how value is equated in the hobby. There has to be demand. It is far more important than supply. And members saying 6 and 7 figure cards will go up, you might be right but to 99% of us, that doesn't really matter. Unless I find something like that in the wild, or win the lottery, I won't have one. On the other hand, this could be a candidate for increasing value and they are still affordable.

Old 12-14-2022, 07:47 AM

Default 1952 Topps Willie Mays

52 Topps Mays peaked and doubled or tripled in value after Hank Aaron's passing. But like 52 Topps Jackie, I think centered high grade 52 Topps Mays have a lot of room to grow to close the gap with Mick.
Old 12-14-2022, 09:52 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

Quote:

I used percentage increase as a way to avoid everyone commenting that the answer is the t206 Wagner or 1952 Mantle, which are likely candidates to see the highest dollar value increase.

You have identified the flaw in my thinking, the answer is absolutely a $10 card that gets a massive spike. Probably something along the lines of the boost the T202 Lord/Tannehill got after people realized Joe Jackson was in the center panel.
Old 12-14-2022, 10:14 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
A lot of folks are talking about rare cards (not for grade, but true rarity). That is NOT how value is equated in the hobby. There has to be demand. It is far more important than supply. And members saying 6 and 7 figure cards will go up, you might be right but to 99% of us, that doesn't really matter. Unless I find something like that in the wild, or win the lottery, I won't have one. On the other hand, this could be a candidate for increasing value and they are still affordable.

Absolutely. All of the "bread" Jackie cards have been moving. The Exhibit sized one SGC 4.5 went for $3894 in the Lelands auction that just closed.

So are his Exhibit cards. Both of them (regular and Canadian). The regular Exhibit cards are settling into the $700-$800 range in vg-ex slabs. I think these have promise, especially if we in the ESCO research community can get our acts together and figure out the exact issue year.

This one has a PSA pop of 2 and hasn't transacted in three years; teeters on the edge of that rarity-obscurity spectrum

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-14-2022 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-14-2022, 11:16 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Default Baseball's Role in integrating United States society is a story that has legs

I think Jackie Robinson is the right track, but 5-10 years late on Jackie. Better bet now are the other HoF players of color whose names will arise in all retellings of baseball's integration: Doby, Campanella, Banks, Minoso, Clemente, Irvin, Frank Robinson. Also, any other "first of that team" players: Green, Jethroe, Thompson, et al.

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1671041732
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1948IndiansTeamIssueDobyPhotographFront.jpg (91.4 KB, 804 views)
Old 12-14-2022, 11:30 AM
Brian

1948 Swell Sport Thrills Jackie Robinson is another card of his that pre-dates the Leaf and is more rare.

It is also a condition sensitive card, so any card above a beater is extremely tough to find. Centering is extremely difficult too.

Card is already growing in value and has more room yet, especially the nicer examples via grade or eye appeal.
Old 12-14-2022, 12:05 PM
Chase

I could not fathom a guess as to which card will increase most in value in the next 10 years but it is safe to say it will be one that I do not own.
Old 12-14-2022, 01:05 PM

I don't know why, just a hunch perhaps, but I feel like T205 Orval Overall Piedmont 25 cards will rocket up in value. Coincidentally, I happen to have one for sale on BST right now.

I do not have any T205 Orval Overall Piedmont 25 cards available...you will be wasting your time searching for it. Though if I keep flinging up posts extolling the card's virtues, perhaps Orval will raise so precipitously high in value to make it foolish on my part not to sell it. By the way, it is an attractive card, even if Orval's nose is slightly misaligned. The misaligned nose makes it one of the more interesting cards in the T205 set, and coupled with the fact that it has the Piedmont 25 back, the most commonly collected of T205 backs, makes this card one of the keys to the set.

Brian (Pretzel Logician for hire...all this pretzel work is making me thirsty)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t205overall 001 (354x640).jpg (111.8 KB, 767 views)
File Type: jpg t205overallpiedmont 001 (354x640).jpg (127.5 KB, 759 views)
Old 12-14-2022, 02:39 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

I’m surprised Jack Johnson cards are reasonable. I could see them taking off at some point. Disclosure: I don’t own any.
Old 12-14-2022, 03:19 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
1953 Topps Willie Mays PSA 8 or higher
Johnny you realize the last on of those sold for $190,000 - about double what the price is for a comparable Mantle.
Old 12-14-2022, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

I agree with every part of Leon's response. As for my opinion, I'm inclined that demand will continue to spike for modern international players like Ohtani. And maybe particularly Ohtani. If Ohtani continues to be mentioned annually for MVP consideration, and should he land on a decent team that enables him to compete for a World Series crown, I think his rookie cards including his autographed inserts will undergo even a more meteoric rise in value.
Old 12-14-2022, 03:49 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
I’m surprised Jack Johnson cards are reasonable. I could see them taking off at some point. Disclosure: I don’t own any.
That’s what I thought when the PBS documentary came out?
Old 12-14-2022, 03:50 PM
pete ullman

And if those bond bread “” rookies really takeoff, it should also impact the square cornered later produced copies…similar to exhibits. Imho of course.
Old 12-14-2022, 03:53 PM

[QUOTE=Leon;2293910]And members saying 6 and 7 figure cards will go up, you might be right but to 99% of us, that doesn't really matter./QUOTE]

Ok fair enough. Going more mainstream(ish), I feel that Musial and Hornsby are totally and completely undervalued. These are two of the best players ever, even better than many of the names mentioned here. Yet, their greatness is not reflected in card prices. Perhaps it is because of the cities/sub-markets they played in. Anyway, as prices for the Ruth, Cobb, Wagner, and Gehrig, in pre war, and Mantle, Mays, and Robinson, in post-war, make those players unattainable to many, that "many" will look to the next tier of "all-time" names. To me, Musial and Hornsby were as good as they get and their cards are so relatively affordable that their cards will benefit greatly from this trickle down. So:

1948 Bowman and 1949 Leaf Musial
1917 & 1921 Hornsby items
Old 12-14-2022, 04:21 PM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

In addition to Hornsby and Musial, I think Ted Williams seems to have been dropped to the 2nd or 3rd tier in collectors' hierarchy over the past decade, and I am not sure why. When I was younger, Williams was always on the shortlist of Top 4-8 players all time. Now, it feels like he is an afterthought in most folks lists of Top 10-15 players.
Old 12-14-2022, 06:10 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

110% agree on Williams. He has just been left in the dust for some reason, so a good time to buy? Same with DiMaggio. Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio?

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-14-2022 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-14-2022, 07:11 PM

Default Williams

I agree--Ted is so undervalued. Specifically, this rookie-era card.
Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1939 Salutations Exhibit T. Williams #9 shows.jpg (186.2 KB, 687 views)
Old 12-14-2022, 07:31 PM
Don

1949 Leaf Paige
Old 12-14-2022, 07:32 PM
Brian

1/1 2023-24 Fanatics/Topps Signed Platinum Refractor Prism Logoman.... Victor Wembanyama (bi-lingual version) PSA 10+ (uncirculated)

Couldn't resist...
Old 12-14-2022, 08:14 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misunderestimated View Post
1/1 2023-24 Fanatics/Topps Signed Platinum Refractor Prism Logoman.... Victor Wembanyama (bi-lingual version) PSA 10+ (uncirculated)

Couldn't resist...
Wow, the bi-lingual version. Those are the ones where the logoman patch is from a jersey actually worn in an official game by the player on the card.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 12-14-2022, 08:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

Couldn't resist...
It's already at $2 million, can it really go higher?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-14-2022, 08:46 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

2001 Sue Bird rookie card in PSA10 or 2004 Diana Taurasi rookie card in PSA10. This is a serious answer. I think woman's basketball will continue to increase in popularity and these two cards are genuine condition rarities of possibly the two greatest WNBA players ever.
Old 12-14-2022, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
2001 Sue Bird rookie card in PSA10 or 2004 Diana Taurasi rookie card in PSA10. This is a serious answer. I think woman's basketball will continue to increase in popularity and these two cards are genuine condition rarities of possibly the two greatest WNBA players ever.
Not a 10 but here's the hoping:

Old 12-14-2022, 09:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Jay's choice at least explains the path by which this could happen. On so many other answers, especially for baseball cards, and I am guilty of this as well, there seems to be some assumption that future generations are going to somehow make a more realistic assessment than the present one, and so cards in the future won't be mispriced/undervalued. But what's the basis for that? I mean every few months someone starts a thread about undervalued cards and players and we always hear about Foxx and Collins and Spahn and Musial, but decades go by and they are STILL undervalued. What's gonna change?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-14-2022 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-14-2022, 09:38 PM
je.sse @rnot

If I had to pick 1 card I would guess the star 101 Jordan. If it has to be baseball, 51 Mantle. Like Peter I highly doubt under appreciated players will suddenly sky rocket. The only player I would guess this could happen with is Satchel Paige.
Old 12-14-2022, 09:46 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
And if those bond bread “” rookies really takeoff, it should also impact the square cornered later produced copies…similar to exhibits. Imho of course.
if TPG will start grading square corner again. until then, the square corner will be like 80s Star cards 10 years ago.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 12-14-2022, 10:36 PM
Tim Odeen

On another thread someone posted about the Polo Grounds set, and I added Tom Barker. Both those sets seem extremely affordable for top tier HOF.

Old 12-15-2022, 01:42 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Zero chance that it will be something oversized like an exhibit or a postcard. Nothing wrong with collecting those, or anything else, but whatever it is, it has to have broad appeal. Those never will.
Old 12-15-2022, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Zero chance that it will be something oversized like an exhibit or a postcard. Nothing wrong with collecting those, or anything else, but whatever it is, it has to have broad appeal. Those never will.
Unless your broad is into oversized things.

Brian (of course I was referring to Exhibits or postcards)
Old 12-15-2022, 02:20 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
I don't know. Look at the Jackie 47-66 Exhibits Jackie Robinson card. Has gone up at about the same percentage price increase as the 48/49 Leaf Jackie. Which one has more room to run is difficult to say.

Last edited by cgjackson222; 12-15-2022 at 02:30 AM.
Old 12-15-2022, 04:55 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
On another thread someone posted about the Polo Grounds set, and I added Tom Barker. Both those sets seem extremely affordable for top tier HOF.

You forgot to throw in the National Game set as well then.
Old 12-15-2022, 04:57 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Not sure what my pick would be, but I love exhibits and postcards. All Cobb RC postcards have shot up and one that went through the stratosphere would be the Gehrig Exhibits RC! So I wouldn’t dismiss those slightly bigger cards!

Even larger ones like cabinet cards can explode too: W600 Cobb!

Last edited by yanksfan09; 12-15-2022 at 04:58 AM.
Old 12-15-2022, 05:02 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

I’ve always liked rare stuff. Some people may think only more common/iconic/mainstream type cards are the way to go. However with rare stuff , regardless of size, it doesn’t take nearly as much demand increase to move the needle in a big way price wise! It will be interesting to see where any future sales of a card like the 1914 BN Ruth go if any surface for sale!
Old 12-15-2022, 08:45 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Many words I understand individually but not in this sequence.

Or not...
Old 12-15-2022, 09:49 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
I’ve always liked rare stuff. Some people may think only more common/iconic/mainstream type cards are the way to go. However with rare stuff , regardless of size, it doesn’t take nearly as much demand increase to move the needle in a big way price wise! It will be interesting to see where any future sales of a card like the 1914 BN Ruth go if any surface for sale!
I think the BN Ruth exceeds T206 Wagner on hammer price next time it comes up, by a healthy margin. $4,000,000+ maybe.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 12-15-2022, 09:58 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:

Couldn't resist...
Well, It does have 16 names like all the kids want, and it is PSA 10 1 of 1!!! I'd say it's more likely to be 1 Doll HAir...

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 12-15-2022 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-15-2022, 10:07 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Well, not necessarily broad appeal but increased appeal; something has to make the demand go up.

I doubt it will be something esoteric like rare backs or ink spill variations. Zero chance it is some vintage ATG being re-evaluated by future collectors.

It could be something societal I suppose, akin to the recent rise of the Black pioneers resulting from the recognition of Jackie Robinson's accomplishments and the Negro Leagues as a whole. Maybe with Senga and Yoshida coming into the league, there will be a surge in interest in Japanese players and the 65T Murakami rookie will take off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65T 282 Murakami.jpg (65.5 KB, 606 views)
Old 12-15-2022, 10:23 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
The 25 Gehrig and 21 Ruth Exhibits have had astonishing growth, despite the lack of a "broad" appeal.

Old 12-15-2022, 10:46 AM
R0b Sm!th

Quote:
I do not agree with this. Lots of oversized cards have gone us significantly in the last decade, such W600 Cobb, Wagner and Matty, all sorts of Cobb postcards, 1921 Exhibit Ruth, 1925 Exhibit Gehrig, etc.
Old 12-15-2022, 11:35 AM

What single card will increase the most.

If we are talking about sheer numbers of dollars increase, then a very expensive card stands the best chance to increase the most. A T206 Wagner or '52 Mantle will increase more dollars than any $1-20.k current value card we might mention. Heck, a T206 Wagner may easily increase over a million dollars in 10 years. A Hank Aaron RC, or a T206 Cobb red, or a '33 Goudey Ruth will never increase a million dollars in 10 years.

Now if we talk % increase, then a lower value card might take the cake. I could see a semi-prominent $1.-10.k card perhaps doubling for a 100% increase. What specific card might that be? A lot of good choices have been presented so far.
Old 12-15-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
I think the BN Ruth exceeds T206 Wagner on hammer price next time it comes up, by a healthy margin. $4,000,000+ maybe.
Many years ago both cards in a PSA 1 were sold in the same auction. Ruth went for $450K and Wagner for $400K. Just can't remember which auction house.
Old 12-15-2022, 12:12 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Any RC of someone who becomes a HOFer through the veterans committee.

Just saying

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors