NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-17-2007, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Default Confused on Card Values??

Posted By: Neal

I hope this is not a dumb question. But when it comes to determining values of cards I get somewhat confused. I recently bought the 2008 Standard catalog of BB and I also use the PSA SMR Online as well as past auction prices. They are all so much different in values.

example I picked up from a fellow N54 on Ebay last night a M116 PSA4 Jimmy Walsh gray back. SMR says a PSA5 is $275 while in 2008 SC say VG-EX is $475-720 range.

I am a true collector but I also sell some cards PT to a good friend of mine. I try not to overcharge him but just want to make sure I get good idea of values!

Thanks All!

Old 11-17-2007, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

use both of those and also see what the same card has sold for in the past, by checking ebay closed auctions or using VCP.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: G. Maines

Matt: in adjudicating an average SC vg/ex price of $600, with an SMR vg/ex price of $275. what exact method do you recommend for "use both of those and also see what the same card has sold for in the past"?

I would recommend to dump the two of them in favor of the latter.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Gil - I think all information on pricing is valuable. I don't have a specific formula for how to use them all. I would suggest though that taking that simply using past auctions isn't sufficient especially in cases where there are just a few sales and one anomaly could throw the whole average.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark T

A book or PSA-SMR report can't give you an accurate price range of a card, only VCP or Ebay can gauge what market value is at any given time. The book does not differentiate between a up or down cycle in the card market.

Its true that private deals are a good reflection of what a cards value is but most are just that, "private".

Old 11-17-2007, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

If your cards are graded...then VCP would I think obviously be the best method to look at unless your talking about something so scarce there hasn't been any recorded auction results.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

Disregard prices in price guides. It's my personal opinion that publishing a price guide that does not accurately reflect the market is irresponsible.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Using a printed price guide instead of the internet (VCP and/or ebay) to get pricing is like using a horse and buggy to travel from New York City to Los Angeles instead of an airplane.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

I'm with Darren on this one.
The guides(in book form) are no longer helpful, not even for a ballpark idea.

best,
barry

Old 11-17-2007, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: George

I'm definitely an advocate of monitoring closed auctions using ebay completed listings and although I have not shelled out the minimal monthly payment for VCP, I think this is most likely the best source of card pricing information. I'll also look at the price guides as an additional source of information however would not use it as my primary source.