NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-15-2007, 05:10 AM
Administrator

Default Green Cobb with impossible back on ebay....Beware

Posted By: Pennsylvania Ted

FYI....just in case that you are not sure if this front/back combo is a legitimate one.

I will not post a LINK to it......

As, I don't want to be ACCUSED of "outing" an on-going auction by the "usual suspects".

TED Z

Old 11-15-2007, 05:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Ted, if anyone wants to get mad about posting a link for a fake card...so be it

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-T206-Ty-Cobb-Green-Portrait-w-Tolstoi-back_W0QQitemZ150182915400

Old 11-15-2007, 05:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Card is ungraded, he doesn't even show the back, corners are way too rounded...bad news all around.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

The ELUSIVE 'MATO' Cut Plug Anson card.............
Someone needs to throw some mato's at this stooge.........

Old 11-15-2007, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

How would this be outing an auction Ted when its a fake? Why would you start the thread without at least telling the back thats impossible too? Its an obvious fake by the front scan so theres no worry showing the link as thats what the board is here for,to help people.Please dont hesitate to post fake/reprint cards when you see them,thats not outing an auction and try not to dwell on past mistakes so much,im pretty sure you learned your lesson from the Lundgren incident and no one but you keeps bringing it up

Old 11-15-2007, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

Am I the only one to whom it seems that the vast majority of bogus T206 offerings have generally the same wear pattern on the corners? Is there some widely employed method for "aging" the corners on these cards?

Old 11-15-2007, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

corners aren't rounded, they're cut

Old 11-15-2007, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I sent him an email stating all the reasons (including the font on the name in front) the card was a reproduction. Hopefully he will remove it from ebay.
tbob

Old 11-15-2007, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

This is the same clown that is related to the following thread...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1194842383/last-1195024084/OJ+Connie+Mack+--+Did+I+screw+up

This guy is just bad news...

Brian, if you're reading this - STOP PAYMENT on that MACK card.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

One more link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1890-Mato-Cut-Plug-Cap-Anson-Card_W0QQitemZ150182916204QQihZ005QQcategoryZ86839 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 11-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lance

The Cobb has been removed from Ebay. I hope no off line offers were made...

Old 11-15-2007, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Ted,

My two cents worth on outing auctions. Generally, I'm against it. Even to warn of a fake I think the person should be very, very sure it's fake before posting a link. I am against anyone outing an auction because "it looks iffy" or "this could be off". Often, those of us that use visual cues like font and appearance can be something less than positive it's a fake. Fairly sure - even sure beyond the "this looks iffy" level - but less than certain.

You, I think, carve out an exception for T206's. You can see from the blurriest scan and the most indistinct of fonts that a card is bad because it has an impossible configuration. To me, this puts it squarely in the 100% category and in that case it is being exposed as fraud, not outed to gather opinion or warn of a vague possibility.

I go by visual cues and auction cues (grandpa's attic, et al). I think I do fairly well at it, but my personal expertise falls far, far short of being able to zoom to 100% via knowledge of possible and impossible configurations.

I appreciate when someone like you reports on a certainty - either by vast knowledge of possible cards or, with some people, a far sharper eye for visual cues than mine. Having someone identify a 100% fake allows me to look at that card and test my visual ID skills, or add to them.

Just my two cents worth, but if you know something is impossible, I don't think it's outing the auction to post a warning with the associated 100% certainty.

Joann

Old 11-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Outing a fake is important because it helps in getting the auction shut down. In this case it's a lock because a green Cobb can't exist with a Tolstoi back.

When I see the fakes that come with far too long stories attached, I love to read them. For me it's an insight into the mind of a scammer. Not that I'm trying to emulate them, but it's fun to read all of these far-fetched tales. If anything they are imaginative.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

I'm all for anyone outing suspected fake auctions, even if they are not 100% sure. I don't doubt that it may drive up the price on an auction I'm interested in, but I also am quite sure, it will save me (and others) from being scammed.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Administrator

The seller thanked me for my email and pulled the auction. He said he didn't intend to send replica cards.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

JOANN

I've said it before and it is worth repeating it.....you are a voice of reason on this forum.

JOHN D

I will reply to your...."try not to dwell on past mistakes so much,im pretty sure you learned your lesson from the Lundgren
incident and no one but you keeps bringing it up."

Tell me "what lesson" did I learn from raising people's awareness to the Lundgren (Cubs) with a very rare EPDG back ?
First of all, of those who posted, their sentiments favored me by a 2-1 factor. And, I received four emails from "readers"
thanking me for enlightening them on this particular card.
I've been on this forum for only 2 1/2 years and this once that I "pardon me for outing" a card in an ongoing auction.....
man I should be tarred and feathered !

How many times have you seen an authentic T206 Wagner or Plank or Magie "outed" on an on-going auction on this forum ?
It has occurred several times in just the few years that I have been on Net54. And, you know what John....I'll tell you that
there is a good likelihood that there are more of those three Subjects in the overall population of T206's than this Lundgren.
So, what's the difference.....Wagner's, Plank's, Magie's....or a rare Lundgren, when it comes to "outing" ?

I really don't like arguing with you about this, you are just as knowledgeable about T206's as I am. Can we just drop it ?

TED Z

Old 11-15-2007, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

It's been yanked by the "naive" seller. However, the new posting of the counterfeit Anson nulifies that good deed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1890-Mato-Cut-Plug-Cap-Anson-Card_W0QQitemZ150182916204QQihZ005QQcategoryZ86839 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 11-15-2007, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave S

My opinion only for what it's worth, and not trying to beat a dead horse here. But "outing" an obvious fake card is day-and-night from "outing" a rare, un-ended auction. Call it exuberance, call it whatever...but it should be contained until the auction ends...
I have all the respect in the world for the knowledge Ted brings to this Forum and to the hobby. Outstanding, to say the least. But regardless of those "who posted, their sentiments favored me by a 2-1 factor. And, I received four emails from "readers" thanking me for enlightening them on this particular card"...I likewise received e-mails from members who likewise had the opinion that the Lundgren outing was wrong...
Just as opinions vary as to "raw vs. slabs", "PSA vs. SGC", etc....I guess we likewise can add "outing" to how we perceive it...

A day or so after Lundgren, a thread was started as to some Southern League'rs erroneously listed with supposed brown backs. Without going into lengthy detail...the seller ended that listing as well as 2 other T206 lot listings. The seller ended early and sold the cards to a 54-member!! Can't blame the seller by any means...but why post on this Forum about a "misleading" seller and then buy their cards?? Again, I guess we all perceive things differently...and form opinions from there...

Old 11-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Dave,

I'm guessing your talking about me on the southern leaguers...yes, they were listed as old mill brown backs...and no they werent that....but, i didn't buy the cards from the seller....not sure where you got that from?

Edited to say I havent bought any southern leaguers lately, don't own one.

Dave F

Old 11-15-2007, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave S

Dave..I made no specific accusations as to whom bought the Southern League'rs or the other 2 T206 listings that the seller ended early...

Old 11-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Here is a great lot.

Check it out!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1906-WAGNER-FAN-CRAZE-T206-WAGNER-T205-GOLD-BORDER_W0QQitemZ140179600264QQihZ004QQcategoryZ868 40QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 11-15-2007, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

What is this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1915-CRACKER-JACK-52-ZACH-WHEAT-Card-is-15-of-24_W0QQitemZ320182783505QQihZ011QQcategoryZ10782QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem