NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-26-2006, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Default Get a load of these caramel card sale prices! Unfriggingbelievable...

Posted By: Bob

In moving in to our new house, I ran across some cards sold on ebay during my first year on ebay, 1997. I have made some scans from the printed out sale sheets so they won't be the greatest but after taking a look, try and guess what they sold for.
All the e98s are creaseless and have nice backs. The e97 proof has one light wrinkle.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

E98s
Mullin vgex+ $31.01 to jerry tate
Bresnahan vgex $112.00 to rob utley
Davis ex $39.00 to brian daniels
Dahlen ex+ $51.00 to brian daniels
Kling ex $47.00 to steve murray
Chase vgex $50.10 to wcbidder1 (?)
McClean variation name and team in navy blue and colors diff. $26.66 j.tate
E97
Meyers proof vg $87.01 brian daniels decided he didn't want it, j. tate

Kinda shows why you need to be careful about selling off your cards because when you buy them back later you'll pay a whole lot more. I ended up putting together another set which was lost by GAI and UPS. Finally, I completed 2 more sets, one of which I sold on the BST thread and kept the higher graded ones.
I don't even want to put the scans from my fire sale of E97s about 3 years ago, that one still makes me sick whenever I try to complete that set again...
Old 07-26-2006, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Everybody who has been in this hobby who sold cards years ago sold them for a fraction, but what can you do? You can't keep everything forever. I'm sure there is a collector somewhere who sold a Van Gogh in the 1950's for 100K and set a world's record. Today the same painting might be worth 30 million. That's just the way it works. I sold plenty of vintage cards in the 1980's and early 90's. Don't even ask what I sold them for.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Barry,

How much did you sell them for?

Old 07-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Here's one example: about 1995 I had an N167, I think it was a Corcoran, in fair condition in an SCD ad for $600. I had no takers so a month later I lowered the price to $500. It finally sold. Would I like that one back? About the same time I think I sold an M131 Baltimore News, also lower grade, for about $50. Too cheap for today's market? I could probably find 100 more. I'm sure every veteran has similar war stories.

Old 07-26-2006, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Tbob -

Is that the scarce Johnny Kling that everyone wants ?

Old 07-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

did I sell those to you or buy them from you?
I do recall selling you a Chase with trophy red cross for $165 after PSA deemed it trimmed and you got it held in an SGC 70-80 holder! Do you remember that one? You sold it on e-bay for like $385 or so.

I want .99 cents every time you use the word "friggin" Bob

Old 07-26-2006, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Brian- Yes you bought them from me, good deals, huh? I too remember the Red Cross Chase, another card I wish I had kept.
Funny how the prices of the caramels has jumped 7-8x, but migosh, the Meyers proof is an easy 12x what it sold for in '97.
Barry- Wasn't trying to imply that I was the only one who did that, just wanted to share it with the board. The cards look much, much better than the third hand scans.
Yes, that is the Kling everyone wants alhough everyone was slavering over a PSA 1 one when here is a PSA 4 or 5. Grrr....

Old 07-27-2006, 06:00 AM
Administrator

I know Bob, and to tell you the truth, I get frustrated every time I think of all the rarities I've had over the years that seemed so easy to get and I sold them assuming that there was always going to be another rarity to take its place. I never imagined today's scenario and should have put some material away. Who could have predicted today's prices? I guess somebody did.

Old 07-27-2006, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...did I ever sell a T206 card that I did not have a double of (usually in better condition). And then I used the proceeds from that sale to replace the lot of 10 cards I had just sold over the next few months. But even in that group of 10, there are one or two cards that I wish I could have back since it has been a bear trying to get them back at the same condition I sold them in. In particular, a PSA 6 T206 Hal Chase Pink Portrait, which I figured I sell and downgrade to an SGC 40 or 50. I've got my pink portrait, and its at SGC right now, and I've got my fingers crossed that it'll be at least a 40...

Old 07-27-2006, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

I landed that e-106 Speaker............came back in a 5 holder circa 2000.