NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-16-2007, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Default do you have to pay for psas rediculous membership fee to get a card graded?

Posted By: sean

was wondering if there is a way around the membership fee on PSA like thereis with SGC

Old 11-16-2007, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Default do you have to pay for psas rediculous membership fee to get a card graded?

Posted By: Steve Murray

Maybe if you go through one of their authorized submission members? I don't know but if you have several to submit it pays to pay the fee because you get enough free submissions to make it worthwhile. I think.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

It's either that or learn to spell "ridiculous".

Old 11-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

The membership includes six free submissions plus a year's subscription to their lovely magazine, so you do get something in return for the fee.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

The 6 free submissions that accompany the membership are only valid for cards valued under $500 apiece, which aren't really the cards I'm particularly interested in getting slabbed. Personally I'd rather the membership include 3-4 free submissions with a higher ceiling.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

i don't understand why the price of the card would matter when they grade it. Shouldn't they spend the same amount of time on a near-mint vintage common as they are on a cobb? I mean, you pay the same price for the service. Why have a ceiling for those 6 "free" submissions?

Rob

Old 11-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Rob - I think it has to do with the risk they are taking by handling your card - the more expensive card, the more it will cost the company if something should go wrong (lost card, etc.)

Old 11-16-2007, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lance

You can claim any value you want as long as the card is RAW. Every card I submit has a value of $100.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Lance - aren't you concerned that if the grading company loses your card, you'll only be reimbursed $100? And, hypothetically speaking, let's say a grading company has a not-so-honest employee - seeing as how you only valued your babe Ruth at $100, wouldn't it be tempting for him to steal it and then just pay the company back for his "mistake?"

Old 11-16-2007, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lance

Matt,

I generally submit no fewer than 50 cards at a time. I also computer generate all of my submission forms and keep a photo file of the cards submitted. I only use PSA and SGC. I guess I have grown to put a little faith in their systems. I guess after the GAI mess, I should probably reconsider how I submit.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Lance, that is very, very dangerous. Take it from one who knows whereof he speaks and has had a shipment of cards lost in the mail by a grading company. You tend to get stuck with the value you put on that submission form for the cards.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Lance- when I submit cards I insure them for pretty close to their full value. It will cost you a few extra dollars but it is money well spent.

I think anyone who sends in a card worth a couple of thousand dollars and insures it for $100 to save on grading fees is setting himself up for some big problems down the road. Just my professional advice.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

Sean:

Your best option might be to attend a card show where PSA is set up and they will accept your submissions whether you are a club member or not with no additional fees other than the grading and shipping costs.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

no, you will still need to have membership to submit at shows. you might be able to get away with it if it's same-day/2 day service where they don't have to take it back to newport beach...but then ur paying the $50/$75 grading fees anyway.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Perhaps make nice with a local card dealer who has a PSA membership and submit through him?

Old 11-16-2007, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

"Personally I'd rather the membership include 3-4 free submissions with a higher ceiling."

If you can and talk to the folks at customer service, they will probably do something like this for you. I brought my six vouchers to a show one time and traded them in for three or four (can't remember now) two hour submissions.
JimB

Old 11-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

hmm, that's not a bad idea jim. next time i'll ask to have 3 express service instead of the 6 5 days.

matt, i'd just pay up the $100 than waiting on some authorized near u...u get the monthly cheap rag, 6 vouchers, online smr and pop report so you'll know how many others out there have a 1988 fleer mark grace in a psa8 like yourself.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Come to think of it, when I signed up I also got a free PSA tote bag. Do they still give those out?

Old 11-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Administrator

quan - I'm with you. I'm just answering the OPs question of how to avoid the membership fee.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

I just submitted stuff to PSA at a local show within the last month for their 5 & 10 day service level and no membership was required.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

May 13 2005 at 3:21 PM Gilbert Maines (Login identify7)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, the object of this preposition is to make persons who are hesitant to offer input, further self consious about which gerund belongs in the pluperfect tense - for those of us who seek pluperfection.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Matt, that is a funny statement as the company never seems to reimburse people when they bend or lose cards so I am with Rob, why charge more for what it is worth??

Old 11-16-2007, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

TBOB I must disagree, I think insuring them puts an extra liability on loss. Postal employees working for $8 who see light packages with hi postal tags on them, well do the math. I have had a dozen insured packages ripped open and the contents removed. With priority with signature confirmation, I haven't had a loss in 8 years. I ship cards from $1000 to $20,000 like this. I just sent 2 Darby Chocolate cards out for $4000 this way. Dan.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:34 PM
Administrator

dan - SGC does re-imburse people if they lose your cards. You're suggesting PSA does nothing?

Old 11-16-2007, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Dan- if you sent those eight packages out registered instead of insured, every one of them would have reached its destination safely. No postal worker would dare touch a reg package, because the last one to handle it would be liable for the entire amount.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: sean

wow,
I learned to spell ridiculous ,Now if jay could teach me to spell waste of time smart a**