NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-18-2006, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Default reprints on ebay (again)

Posted By: david poses

this card is clearly a reprint:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160019880328&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:US:1

the listing says it is not a reprint. i sent the seller an email about the authenticity, to which he replied: "IT IS NOT A REPRINT."

i know it is a reprint and you know it is a reprint and the seller either knows its a reprint and is lying or doesn't know, and either way, i wish something could be done to police this sort of activity. is there any forum where we can report sketchy sellers/sales? if not, should we make one? might be a handy tool for everyone, especially novices. any thoughts?

Old 08-18-2006, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Generally we don't post too many of the "reprints" on ebay that are scams unless there is something different about the auction. It's so common it would be the only thing on the board if we posted every single one. No issue with posting this one, or any for that matter, but keep in mind that a lot of us are addicted and these are like seeing a car on the street. It's an everyday occurrence. As far as another forum for it maybe there is one but I am not starting or managing another ...... This card is so blatant that most likely no one will be fooled. It's the good fakes we take exception to....best regards

Old 08-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

Don't even have too look at the photo, just the state.

Link to report;

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/replica-counterfeit.html

Old 08-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

I emailed the seller as well. Auction has been ended and he claims he is going to take the card to a show to have it "checked out."

Just curious, what's Kentucky have to do with anything?

Old 08-18-2006, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Good question Josh,

In my experience with fake memorabilia, an extraordinary amount of counterfeits, ironically materialize from that region of the Bible Belt. Not saying every seller from KY, TN is dishonest. (Nor is a strong religious conviction predispose one to ignorance. -I'm not a religious person )

Old 08-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

don't forget about ohio and canada and watch out for discriptions that end in ...god bless. especially from ky!

Old 08-18-2006, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I look at that reprint and think to myself "were you ever so unknowledgable to be fooled by this"? For me, the answer is yes, I could have been that stoopid, but when I was, I was smart enough to only deal with sellers whose reputation was beyond question.

So do I think that a summary of the reprints which we come across in our travels could be useful to the less experienced collectors? Yes, I do. Should it be here? I think our moderator currently has to do so much babysitting here, that he really has no time for another thread (or maybe I am wrong).

Old 08-18-2006, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I have never been stiffed by any buyer or shafted by any seller South of the Mason-Dixon line. Granted there may be fewer vintage collectors/dealers/buyers down here but no problems...

Old 08-18-2006, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Gentlemen, Yankees, and skalliwags,

As a resident and citizen of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, I take exception to the illinformed maligning of the Bluegrass State.

I've lived here about 47 years, practiced law here for close to 7, and this is my 13th year as a state court judge. In my experience, most of the charletons of this state are carpetbaggers, or the descendants thereof, who flim-flam the local, good hearted folk.

I concede that such crooksters exist in the Commonwealth, although few are home grown, most are transplants.

And I do agree that the card is a worthless reprint, most likely from some new england print shop.

It is my understanding that the FBI used to focus recruiting on the area of the country adjacent to Apalachia. Folks from there were steadfast in their beliefs, not wishy-washy like west coast folk, who are descendants of the unsettled, restless folk who migrated across this great land. When the FBI found someone from the hills of Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, Virginia, or North Carolina, they knew they had a recruit who would stick to his convictions, one who could not be turned.

So I would close with encouraging a specific blessing of Kentucky, but that would mirror concerns already posted.

Old 08-19-2006, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Frank,

With prose like that, you need to get appointed to the federal bench so I can read some of your opinions.

Old 08-19-2006, 04:53 AM
Administrator

and birthplace of the all-time Greatest (non ballplayer) American and springboard for the nations pioneering spirit. Frank, I apologize if you were offended my those observations. Just a headsup for eBay shoppers.

Incidentally, I find it outrageous, egregious and preposterous that McNeil Pharmaceuticals Labs named a personal lubricant after this regal Appalachian Commonwealth.

Old 08-19-2006, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

As for a Federal appointment, anytime you can line one up, please let me know!

And Steve, I'd presume that you are a professional fire fighter in the Empire State, obviously wise in the ways of the uses of jams and jellies...

Still, with all set, the card was a reprint and the seller was in Kentucky. At least he eventually took it down. Most of the other stuff he was selling was new chrome stuff and yardsale type items. Times are hard here in Kentucky...

Gotta love this board, though!

Frank.

Old 08-19-2006, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I visited Kentucky once and I will testify that no one sold me a fake baseball card.

While I was there, an FBI officer tried to convince me to join the FBI. When I informed him I was just visiting from Wisconsin, he said, "Never mind, hippie."

Seriously, the Judge and Tom Bobblit(sp) are upstanding board members, so I don't doubt that Kentucky is a fine place.