NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-29-2014, 03:36 PM
€d M!££w00D

Default BCCG grading question

I just saw a card on eBay that I am interested in that has been graded by BCCG. It was graded a 6. I understand the difference between BCCG and the other Beckett grading services and realize that a BCCG 6 is not nearly the same as a PSA or SGC 6. I am not really concerned about the card's grade. My real question is can I feel safe that the card is authentic and unaltered if it received the grade?

Thanks

Ed

Ed
Old 04-29-2014, 08:43 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

No. I would look for a card graded by PSA or SGC, if graded is what you are wanting.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagevault13 View Post
I just saw a card on eBay that I am interested in that has been graded by BCCG. It was graded a 6. I understand the difference between BCCG and the other Beckett grading services and realize that a BCCG 6 is not nearly the same as a PSA or SGC 6. I am not really concerned about the card's grade. My real question is can I feel safe that the card is authentic and unaltered if it received the grade?

Thanks

Ed
Yes, you can feel safe. The grading numbers make no sense, compared to any other legit company, but the cards should be real and unaltered.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:04 AM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Yes, you can feel safe. The grading numbers make no sense, compared to any other legit company, but the cards should be real and unaltered.
Thanks Lepn.

Ed
Old 04-30-2014, 12:11 PM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

I agree, card should be authentic as Beckett is decent at filtering out fakes and trimmed cards.

But, as I am sure you are aware, with a BCCC 6 you are likely looking at multiple creases or some other major damage on the card. I wouldn't pay more than the equivalent of PSA/SGC 1-2.

Good luck.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:26 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGT View Post
I agree, card should be authentic as Beckett is decent at filtering out fakes and trimmed cards.

But, as I am sure you are aware, with a BCCC 6 you are likely looking at multiple creases or some other major damage on the card. I wouldn't pay more than the equivalent of PSA/SGC 1-2.

Good luck.
I guess I must have gotten the toughest BCCC grader out there. Check these out. There's no creases and no damage on any of them. The Sayers looks so much better in person. The smudges are on my scanner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screw.jpg (74.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg screw2.jpg (75.0 KB, 82 views)
Old 04-30-2014, 07:02 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Ed, I feel like I owe you and explanation for the answer that I gave to your question. On more than a couple of times I have seen cards graded by BCCG that had been trimmed. Rather than grading the cards with an " A ", the cards recieved a numerical grade. Personally, I am not comfortable with them as a grading company. Just my opinion though.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:32 PM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
I guess I must have gotten the toughest BCCC grader out there. Check these out. There's no creases and no damage on any of them. The Sayers looks so much better in person. The smudges are on my scanner.
Clint,
You are confusing BCCG with BVG (which are the cards you posted). They are NOT the same. BVG and BGS are pretty comparable grade-wise to PSA and SGC. BCCG, uh, just looks like this:

Ebay seller actually wants $83 for the above card, by the way.
This is a perfect example of why this whole BGS-BVG-BCCG mess is just a nightmare for the hobby.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:39 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGT View Post
Clint,
You are confusing BCCG with BVG (which are the cards you posted). They are NOT the same. BVG and BGS are pretty comparable grade-wise to PSA and SGC. BCCG, uh, just looks like this:

Ebay seller actually wants $83 for the above card, by the way.
This is a perfect example of why this whole BGS-BVG-BCCG mess is just a
nightmare for the hobby.

I guess I was. I thought they were all the same. You can tell I don't get things graded. These and a handful of others are the only ones I've ever sent in. That Bradshaw looks horrible.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:20 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
Ed, I feel like I owe you and explanation for the answer that I gave to your question. On more than a couple of times I have seen cards graded by BCCG that had been trimmed. Rather than grading the cards with an " A ", the cards recieved a numerical grade. Personally, I am not comfortable with them as a grading company. Just my opinion though.
It is not just BCCG that you have to watch for trimmed cards. BVG & BGS are just as bad for this problem.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:12 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
It is not just BCCG that you have to watch for trimmed cards. BVG & BGS are just as bad for this problem.
You're right. There is a 1973 Munson graded by BVG that is trimmed on the sides for sale on ebay right now.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:13 PM
€d M!££w00D

Thanks all. Looks like it is safer (though not 100%) to stick with the Big 2 TPG's when looking at higher $ cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed
Old 05-01-2014, 02:11 PM

With bccg, look at the condition grade name, rather than the number. This Bradshaw is a "6 - good" which makes it roughly comparable to a psa/bvg 2 (good) rather than a psa/bgs 6.