NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Default 1912 Boston Garter cards!

Posted By: Josh

I am wondering have there ever been Boston Garter cards auctioned on ebay? I have heard some speculation that about 6-7 years ago there was 5 auctioned, but I dont know who they were and how much they brought. I collect them and am interested if there is any information out there regarding this. Let me know if you guys on the board have any information. I have never seen any on ebay, but a couple times in REA auctions.

Old 06-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

I cant remember seeing any 1912's, but Ive seen a few of the 1914 Sepia cards on eBay, but this was a few years back. When I first started watching eBay in about 1999 I used to see maybe one or two a year and most were sold by noncollectors who didnt know what they had. I can remember a Lajoie (slightly trimmed), and a Zimmerman offhand, but I think Ive seen maybe 4-5 total but none in last few years.

Old 06-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I remember one being auctioned on ebay about 6-7 yrs ago. I think it was Rucker...and he had a very small notch out of the side. It went for about 2700...and sold soon after that for about 5500 in an auction house sale.....I should have nabbed it...

Old 06-02-2006, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

I remember the 1914s, but don't remember the players. The only known 1912 Boston Garter Walter Johnson was once sold on ebay as well.

Old 06-03-2006, 03:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Kravitz

You don't meet too many people who collect 1912 Boston Garters everyday. Which cards do you own? Please share a scan if you get a chance. It took me 4 years just to track one down. The cards are unbelievable. I know there is going to be at least 1 in REA's next auction. The 1912 blows the 1913 or 1914 BG's away. They don't even compare, although it would be nice to own the Jackson that is in Mile High if I had an extra $40K sitting around. Have there been any graded by PSA, GAI, or any other grading company? I know SGC will be able to grade these soon. They should have the larger holders ready by the end of summer. Send me an email, I may know of 1 that is available.

Old 06-03-2006, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Count me amongst those that think the 1912's are awkward and, to me, unattractive. I do however love the 1913's. There is something about guys standing around in their underwear and Garters that just doesn't do anything for me. Again, just my opinion.
-Rhett

Old 06-03-2006, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

It amazes me how some think this set is unattractive. Maybe the sight of grown men in their garters cause some slight discomfort? I've always dreamed of owning one of these, any player, any condition. In my opinion, baseball cards dont get much better than this. The unique design is phenomenal...dont you just love their name and team name on their suitcases? The window in the background not only gives an interesting layering effect, but also a colorful portrait of an early 20th century baseball scene.

I also remember the Rucker with the notch in it that was on ebay some time ago. Anyway, here are some scans from David's cycleback.com website (hope he doesnt mind my posting them).

Old 06-03-2006, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jp

awesome looking cards! thanks for sharing scans.

Old 06-03-2006, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Erland Stevens

The unintentional comedy on these cards can't be beat. Professional athletes dressing in front of a large picture window or even an outside door. The players haven't yet put on their pants, but they've all put on their caps.

Old 06-03-2006, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry

I Ditto what Ben Said, but I like the 1913's almost as much. I'll probally never own one, there out of my league but one can dream.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: bruce dorskind

I still think the 1912 Boston Garter's are the most pleasing "eye candy"
in the hobby.

My uncut sheet of 4 is unique and I have two other players from the 1912
series and two cards each from 1913 and 1914.

Must reading is an early Buck Barker Trade Speaks story.

What is your interest in these cards?

Bruce

Old 06-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

you could wear a garter belt without someone wanting to beat you up ! Sexuality is somewhat different today ,these
cards are STILL the favs in my collection !!!

Old 06-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Well, my interest in these cards have grown each year since I found a hoard of them in south central pennsylvania in December of 1997. I was a young teenager at the time but everyone knew that I was a big collector. I purchased the cards, but my grandfather had kept them for me because of the great value they had. When I was suppose to be 21 I was supposed to get them because ultimately, they were mine and he was just holding them for me. Well, I no longer have the 5 that I owned because he got someone to sell them around 1999-2000 on ebay for him. I didnt know of this until I turned 21 years old and asked him were my cards were. I fell out with my grandfather ever since. He had just passed away in April of this year and I am trying to find out where my 5 Boston Grters had gone and who currently have them. There is not a day that goes by that I dont hink of them because as a college student I could have sold one to help pay for student loans and whatnot. The 5 that I had were Nap Rucker with a small notch out of the side, Ed Walsh in prtty good shape, Frank Chance in decent shape, Christy Matthewson, with almost the entire left side on the back with paper loss like it was in a scrap book. The front was pretty good though, and then what I felt was the best conditioned one was the Walter Johnson. I should have taken pictures or something, but I did not excpect to never see them again. I'm sure I will never get them back without paying BIG BUCKS now adays but I will try until the day I diebecause they were the prize of my collection!
So if you guys know of where they are ot who has them, that would be great. I already heard about the Rucker and Johnson. Let me know if you guys have any more information. I do still collect them, so let me know if anyone has some they want to sell. Sorry you had to hear the sob story, but it has been bothering me for sometime.

Old 06-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: david

so you heard speculation that five were sold, but didnt know the players and any other info. but the cards were yours, sold by your grandfather on ebay. which is it?

Old 06-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

Please don't take this guy seriously. You can change your login but you didn't change your email address. Please take a look at this post-

<a href="http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/message/1139709228/1912+Boston+Garter</a" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/message/1139709228/1912+Boston+Garter</a&gt;

A person named "Brian" claimed to own these cards and could never show scans. He said he had them all in a lock box. Hmm so you own them but your grandfather sold them ? Not adding up.

This Brian and Josh both have the same email address.

I found this quote most interesting.

"Roger,I have the following:

Nap Rucker
Fred Clarke
Hugh Jennings
Walter Johnson
Christy Matthewson

Do you have any? I would display their pictures but I dont really want to take them out of the lock box that they are in. Thanks"

Old 06-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Administrator

My friend posted that a while back when we first joined this forum and he was being dumb and saying that hoping someone would ask him questions and stuff. He is a good guy and has made many transactions with people on here. I dont even know where hes been, but I am being serious here about this. I can give you all the information about the 5 cards. Why would I lie about this???????? And Brian did list the wrong two, It is Walsh and Chance. If you guys can help then awsome, if not, thats cool too. I posted the original question hoping to get some leads becasue I wasnt sure if they sold them on ebay, but once Leon said about the Rucker, I knew they had.

Old 06-03-2006, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: david

your friend 'brian' with the same email address as you? yes, why would you make something like this up? please tell.

Old 06-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Administrator

These are by far the most attractive cards in the entire hobby. If you have never seen one in your hands you can't imagine how unbelievable the card is. I think that Dan Koteles has it right. There is a reason that collectors cherish these cards. 1912 Garter cards are unreal. It's one card that will never leave the collection.

Old 06-03-2006, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: rmacpa

Old 06-03-2006, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

J.B.

Biggest antique dealer in central PA

Old 06-03-2006, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Old 06-03-2006, 03:04 PM
Administrator

email has been sent

Old 06-03-2006, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Old 06-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

Are just plain weird.

My advice to everyone would be....... to not share your personal information or ownership of any cards as important and valuable as 1912' Boston Garters with trollers phishing the sports card seas.

As evidence to the dangers of being known or suspected to own highly valuable items, read the unbelievably tragic story in today's news regarding a family of SEVEN in Indianapolos, including 3 boys aged 5 - 11, slain, because a lower than low-life thug heard tales of suspected money and valuables kept in the family's home.

It all makes me so sad.

Sincerely
Daniel

Old 06-05-2006, 01:01 AM
Administrator

then why would you off one for a student loan ?....if his
memory were so dear, uh....again, why would you part with one. This odd circle you are mentioning , is ALOOF at best!

What is your real angle here?.....if you are trying to get
pre -war status, START with T-206's. like all the ones above mentioned in your possible former Garter collection.
You can get a Walsh, Matty , Chance,& whatever other ones you had in T205's as well....should give you a similar
ambience, right?

Now if you are sincere and your story is true, I hope you find them.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

I for one was intrigued by this post. I don't have any Boston Garters, but they are indeed very attractive cards.

What was the result of the Grandfathers initials mystery?

Old 06-07-2006, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Old 06-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The examples posted from my site came from a California man who's long deceased relative (great grandfather?) had been a travelling salesman in Texas. The family assumed he must have hawked Boston Garters. The guy originally emailed me and said he had bunch of Boston Garters, including some still stuck together (they were issued in panels of I think four cards). I wasn't sure whether or not to beleive him, but he sent me jumbo crystal clear images. The cards are so rare, and many of the examples he provided I'd never even seen images of before, that I knew the only way he could give me the images was if he or someone he knew scanned the genuine cards. I did not buy them (someone else did), but the family member let me use the images on my site.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Old 06-07-2006, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: sam-ny

why did brian change his name to josh
and which name is correct. why won't
whatever his name is answer the questions
so we can resolve this and if he
doesn't answer, is there a way that
he can be blocked from posting in
the future so there will be 1 less
liar to deal with.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:38 AM
Administrator

my guess is that he has a fixation with garters.....
literally !!!

Now let's go on with the post with those truly wanting
to talk about THESE wonderful cards and not worry about
a individual that is mad because his Sosa rc's are going
anywhere !

I can tell you most certainly HE never owned these cards !

Old 06-08-2006, 04:34 AM
Administrator

He may have not owned a 1912 Garter, but he knows details about the cards that no one would know unless they had seen them. Very interesting. Not sure he is lying. Anyways, the 1912 Garters were distributed in a 4 card connected panel. Bruce said he had a connected panel that I believe he got from a member of this board. It would be nice if Bruce would be so kind and post an image. I would imagine that most people did not like that their heroes were being depicted in ladies underwear, so they threw the cards away. That would explain the lack of quantity known to exist. I know before handling one of the beauties that they were not very appealing. After looking at one for quite some time, it was apparent that I was holding the equivalent of a Picasso painting. I would rather have a 1912 Boston Garter than a t-206 Wagner. For me it is the greatest one card in the hobby.

Old 06-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Administrator

I was 15 years old when i owned them and like I said my grandfather held them for me. my memory is a bit blurry, but I am 90 percent sure that Walter johnson was standing wearing a greay uniform. The condiotion of the card was great. The rucker had a notch out of it, the laporte some light creases and maybe a tad of paper loss on the back. The walsh he was sitting down and in great shape and the matthewson was nice on the front, but on the back has a very distict paper loss vertically on the left side. Very heavy paper loss to be truthful. So anymore questions feel free to ask, but i just want to know who has my cards, thats it. And for the guys saying i never owned them and that i should collect t206's of the players on the boston garter cards, actually in the deal with the 5 cards were 212 tobacco cards with cobb, mathewson,johnson etc. But i dont think anyone on the board would accept t206's over boston garters.

Old 06-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

Brian,

I have no idea whether or not you ever owned the cards, but your descriptions of the Mathewson and Johnson are reversed. There is only 1 known Johnson card (owned by a board member) and it is the card with the heavy back damage.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Administrator

in the previous thread, someone named brian says the 1912
boston garter cards are his and he will post scans of them
when he retrieves them from a safe deposit box.

in this thread, someone named josh says the cards were his,
but had been sold many years ago and that brian was a friend
of his who hadn't owned the cards and knew almost nothing
about them.

now brian is back saying the cards were really his and
is trying to describe them.

the assh*le can't even remember his name let alone the
card (in which johnson is not wearing a gray uniform
and has back damage).

can someone please ban or block this scammer from ever
again being able to post his sh*t in this forum.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Administrator

The matty, I am told by reliable sources, has about 20% back damage, vertical, on one side. The front is vg-ish. Until I see more hard evidence of a scam or phish, I am reluctant to ban anyone. Of course if it is shown to be definitive then I would not let those games go on, on this board....best regards ...moderator dude...

Old 06-08-2006, 10:47 PM
Administrator

thanks leon. I know what I am talking about and if the moderator has reliable sourses of the condition of the matty with the paper loss vertically on the left side then I am pleased with that. Leon, do you know if the person who owns it now got it from my grandfather? I would like info about it. But this brings up another question then. If you guys are saying the Walter Johnson u know about has back damage, then there is another somehwere in great shape. So there are 2 known examples.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Administrator

I have quite a bit of history, as well as some lurkers, on this board....of possibly those cards. I would like to speak with you in person (phone), if possible, tomorrow. regards

Old 06-08-2006, 11:31 PM
Administrator

now you are saying there are two boston garter johnsons
one with a gray uniform (on the one you claim was yours
and being stored in a safe deposit box and for which
scans would be posted once you got around to retrieving it)
and the one with a different color uniform (on the only one
previously known)?

so you are asserting that your card is/was a variation
even though no variations have been previously discovered
on any card within the 1912 series.

might sometimes being brian and other times being josh
also constitute a variation? and of the two, wasn't brian
supposedly the friend who had no knowledge of these cards.

why not stop with the lies and tell us your real name and
motive.