NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-04-2017, 09:20 AM
Taylor Hamilton

Default Sacrificing a Set to Buy a Dream Card Dilemma

Would love to know if anyone else has been in this position. A dream card of mind just because available and has a total pop between PSA and SGC of less than 20. Thing is the coffers are dry. In order to afford this card I would have to sell some pieces off. I have been working on a set for awhile and would have to sell about 10 cards from it to raise the cash for this dream card. Has anyone else been in a position where they have gone backwards on building a set to free up some cash for a dream card? If so did you regret doing it or not? Would love some feedback:-D

Thanks guys and TGIF
Old 08-04-2017, 09:30 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Do it if the cards from the set are easier to replace than finding the dream card again.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:33 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Been there more than once. Are the cards you are selling easily replaceable? How often does your dream card come up for sale? If the cards you would be selling are easily replaceable, without a doubt sell them and get the dream card. If the cards you sell are not easily replaceable, do you have anything else you could sell instead? If it is a private sale, have you inquired if the seller would be willing to accept a payment plan? Sometimes being creative pays off.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 08-04-2017, 10:23 AM
je.sse @rnot

I am not a set builder but have faced a similar decision selling off a few smaller cards to pick up a big one. I'd say go for it. Especially if the pop is that low.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:24 AM
Peter Spaeth

If it's your dream card, then it's a no brainer, sell the set, and quickly because it may be someone else's dream card too.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-04-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:27 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

What happens if someone else grabs it while you are selling a set off? That wouldn't be good. . . . .
Old 08-04-2017, 10:30 AM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Do it if the cards from the set are easier to replace than finding the dream card again.
That was exactly my analysis when I did that very thing several months ago. I don't regret it because it would have been quite a while before the card I received became available again, particularly in the condition I wanted. Personally I'd go for it.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:36 AM
Bry@n

I agree with the above - sell the set cards and buy the dream card. I have never for a second regretted picking up a dream card. I am not a set builder, but part of the fun in that is the process of building the set, so this will let you extend the fun of building your set too.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:46 AM

Get the dream card....

Try to broker a deal where maybe you put some $$$ down and the owner agrees to let you sell the other set cards to raise the funds (so you don't end up moving your set cards and missing out on the dream card)
Old 08-04-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
What happens if someone else grabs it while you are selling a set off? That wouldn't be good. . . . .
That is what credit cards are for.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:56 AM

Dream card. And after you take the advice of the board and own the dream card, can you share with us your new acquisition?
Old 08-04-2017, 12:13 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:
Agree with Jeff on this.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 08-04-2017, 12:19 PM

Quality over quantity; get the dream card.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:31 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
That is what credit cards are for.
A little over a year ago, I opened up a new NO interest for 15 month credit card to cover the cost of my "dream" card. I am 13 months in and have no regrets or problems sending over the 1/15 of my total cost each month to cover the cost. In two months when I send over my last payment, I will close this card out.

On my next large purchase, I will likely do the same as this method has worked fine....I know because my wife keeps passing onto me all of the CC 15+ month/no interest offers we receive in the mail.

OP should go for your dream card.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:37 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Go for it. Last time this situation arose for me I discussed the matter with my wife and we agreed that I would use our HELOC to pay for the card if I won the auction, with the understanding that I would then sell however much it took to pay it down to zero. I didn't win the card, but I ventured further into the deep waters than ever before chasing a card. I'd do it again if the possibility presented itself to get a truly cornerstone piece.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-04-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:45 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Hamilton View Post
Would love to know if anyone else has been in this position. A dream card of mind just because available and has a total pop between PSA and SGC of less than 20. Thing is the coffers are dry. In order to afford this card I would have to sell some pieces off. I have been working on a set for awhile and would have to sell about 10 cards from it to raise the cash for this dream card. Has anyone else been in a position where they have gone backwards on building a set to free up some cash for a dream card? If so did you regret doing it or not? Would love some feedback:-D

Thanks guys and TGIF
From the sounds of it I think you would regret not going for the "dream card", not letting go of cards from a set to do so.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:03 PM
Bob Davies

Go for it, but for me, I have trouble selling almost anything in my collection. Good on all you guys for being able to do that.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:48 PM
Paul

I've done this a couple of times. I never miss the bulk of the cards I sold off, but I do still miss a few of the pieces of the bulk -- try to keep those, the ones you are going to miss.

Good luck!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-04-2017, 03:29 PM
Sean Costello

Get the dream card. It sounds like it doesn't come up that often. You'll end up regretting it for a long time if you don't get it now.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:50 PM
Kin K.

I'm with everyone else, get the dream card!
T206/T213 Scoops Carey back run: 4/4 !00% complete

Focus: open wheel/Indy 500 cards (1911 ATC Auto Drivers (T36), 1954 Stark & Wetzel 500 Winners, 1960 Parkhurst Indy Speedway Winners & 1960s Marhoefer Indy 500), match books & post cards.

Successful purchases from dnanln, pre1960sets, jp1216 & sebie43; RAKs from CW & LuckyLarry
Old 08-04-2017, 04:25 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

No frickin' doubt, grab up the dream card, and grab it quickly before it goes poof!!! in the night and you never see it again.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:00 PM

buy the dream card you wont regret it
Old 08-04-2017, 06:39 PM
D@le Irv*n

I am in a somewhat same but different situation.

I have mainly stuck to collecting 52 Topps cards but I have always wanted and coveted a 56 Topps Mantle as well.

Right now I can get a newly slabbed PSA 4 for a very fair/decent price but I can't make up my mind to purchase it or put my money towards more, specifically high numbered 52 Topps cards?

I still need many lower numbered cards but I thought if I am willing to spend $500 or so on one card that I love, should I maybe spend that on one or a couple high number 52 Topps cards?

I know the decision is mine only, but for the life of me I can't figure out what to do!
Old 08-04-2017, 06:44 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I am in a somewhat same but different situation.

I have mainly stuck to collecting 52 Topps cards but I have always wanted and coveted a 56 Topps Mantle as well.

Right now I can get a newly slabbed PSA 4 for a very fair/decent price but I can't make up my mind to purchase it or put my money towards more, specifically high numbered 52 Topps cards?

I still need many lower numbered cards but I thought if I am willing to spend $500 or so on one card that I love, should I maybe spend that on one or a couple high number 52 Topps cards?

I know the decision is mine only, but for the life of me I can't figure out what to do!
You go with your gut. If it tells you the Mantle is the one, do it. If not, don't. There will always be 1956 Topps Mantles out there, and there will always be 1952 Topps cards. Whichever you pick, you aren't wrong. Make a decision and don't second guess yourself would by my suggestion.

Last edited by Kenny Cole; 08-04-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:46 PM

I say go for the 56 mantle
Old 08-04-2017, 07:10 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
You go with your gut. If it tells you the Mantle is the one, do it. If not, don't. There will always be 1956 Topps Mantles out there, and there will always be 1952 Topps cards. Whichever you pick, you aren't wrong. Make a decision and don't second guess yourself would by my suggestion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RAREBACK View Post
I say go for the 56 mantle
To me, anyways, it seems like a lot of 56's are coming on the market but they are still commanding decent money. Not sure if that will last or not though?
With the high numbered 52's, and I could be wrong, I am thinking they are a little more scarce and will always command decent money and maybe continue to rise, based on condition of course?

My highest coveted card is a 52 Topps Mathews, but with them in the stratosphere, it's unlikely I'll ever be able to afford one.
With me not being able to afford the Mathews, and likely a few others, it's unlikely I'll ever be able to finish my set, so that is a big part of the reason why I want to stray and purchase the 56 Topps Mantle that I love.

Decisions, decisions!

Last edited by irv; 08-04-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:03 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
To me, anyways, it seems like a lot of 56's are coming on the market but they are still commanding decent money. Not sure if that will last or not though?
With the high numbered 52's, and I could be wrong, I am thinking they are a little more scarce and will always command decent money and maybe continue to rise, based on condition of course?

My highest coveted card is a 52 Topps Mathews, but with them in the stratosphere, it's unlikely I'll ever be able to afford one.
With me not being able to afford the Mathews, and likely a few others, it's unlikely I'll ever be able to finish my set, so that is a big part of the reason why I want to stray and purchase the 56 Topps Mantle that I love.

Decisions, decisions!
Well, the beauty of your dilemma is that, whichever way to ultimately go, you aren't wrong and end up with a nice card. That's really kind of a good problem to have. Best,

Kenny
Old 08-04-2017, 08:24 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Think of it in this scenario:

You walk in to a card show/dealer with $X in your pocket. On one table are the 10 cards you need for your set; on another table is your dream card. Which one(s) do you buy ?

That's essentially where you are, except that you have to do a little work to turn the 10 cards into cash if you go for the dream.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 08-04-2017, 08:34 PM
Ben North

Quote:

Decisions, decisions!
Dale I agree on that 52 Mathews, it is very high on my want list also.

To the OP I would get your dream card. I done the opposite and sold a couple error cards to buy my dream set a very nice 59 Fleer Ted Williams set. I am very happy I done it and have never regretted it.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:35 PM
Rich v@n He$$

Quote:
This. Always take advantage of what is most difficult to replace.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:51 PM

Dream card...not even a question.

Think of it this way...you're hosting a party, word gets around you're a collector, and everyone wants to see some "cool" stuff. Would you look more like a rockstar if you pull out a binder of a complete set from the 50's...or an early Mickey Mantle card?...Exactly.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 08-04-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:09 PM
Ken McMillan

Sort of doing this recently. At the National, I consigned my complete W572 collection to Heritage. They had a reasonable consignment percentage and there is a reserve so I do not lose my shirt. Hopefully the procedes will go towards continuing to build my T205 Cubs reverse collection of buy a really cool premium card for my collection. Liked the W572 but have not picked anything new in over 2 years.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:47 AM

Default Let's be honest with yourself, Taylor

Let's be honest with yourself, Taylor.

You want this dream card, with a said POP of less than 20. Fair enough.

You are currently working on a set you presumably want badly enough to build it card by card. You've made good progress.

OK, on one side of your imagination, place the set you're working on, in its completed state. The entire set. A set you have worked hard to complete, and there it is, in the condition you are striving to maintain.

On the other side, place the dream card, whatever it may be.

The tough question you must ask yourself, if you could only have one of them, which one would that be? Why? Really, think it through and hard, man, why do you want the one you chose? Are you going to easily change your mind?

Now, you've indicated the dream card might be "a chance of a lifetime". Could be. Could be.

Then again, completing this set might be in its own way a chance of a lifetime.

Lots of factors must be weighed in. Actual chances of returning to the set and getting it done. Seeing something else that causes your heart to flutter. The low pop of the dream card might change, but I doubt it, since I will assume it's a pre-war card.

I can sort-of relate to your dilemma. I was not working on a set, but the opportunity came about for me to land a dream card. I did not have the funds, but the owner said he would hold the card for me if I could come up with the dough in 2 months. At this time, spring of 1989, you could place an ad in SCD, and IF you had the right kind of stuff, you could sell a lot of it. Placed the ad, had a ton of orders, with a lot of repeat business from a happy customer involving cards not in my ad, and by the grace of God, I made it. I bought the dream card. I turned many cards into one single card. Have I missed those I let go?

Not for one second.

I still own the dream card.

Follow your heart.

Doesn't matter what Joe Blow from Kokomo thinks between the two.

Wishing you the best, mate. Take care. ----Brian Powell
Old 08-05-2017, 12:19 PM
Marc S.

The longer I'm in this hobby, the more I wish I would have eschewed large sets and runs of cards and focused more on a handful of special, select cards.

I would never collect a huge set again - but I treasure a handful of singles I have (plus two or three team sets, and one run of something that cannot be completed).

Sell the set, buy your dream card. If you don't, you'll look back and regret the decision one day
Old 08-06-2017, 06:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan View Post
The longer I'm in this hobby, the more I wish I would have eschewed large sets and runs of cards and focused more on a handful of special, select cards.

I would never collect a huge set again - but I treasure a handful of singles I have (plus two or three team sets, and one run of something that cannot be completed).

Sell the set, buy your dream card. If you don't, you'll look back and regret the decision one day
Except for a couple nice looking, but run-of-the-mill sets I am doing to keep me interested, I agree completely. Go for the dream card. You might regret it later.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan View Post

Except for a couple nice looking, but run-of-the-mill sets I am doing to keep me interested, I agree completely. Go for the dream card. You might regret it later if you don't.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:17 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Except for a couple nice looking, but run-of-the-mill sets I am doing to keep me interested, I agree completely. Go for the dream card. You might regret it later if you don't.

I totally agree...I missed my opportunity to get a '52 Mantle while it was still affordable...

back when I was six-years-old.

DO'T!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-06-2017, 02:32 PM
€d M!££w00D

Default Sacrificing a Set to Buy a Dream Card Dilemma

This is purely a personal decision. There seems to be an overwhelming number advising you to sell the set and buy the dream card. Nothing wrong with this advice at all. I take a different approach to collecting as I am primarily a set collector. To me, sets are like a time capsule for a particular era. While we remember the Cobbs, Ruths, Mantles, Aarons, etc., the common players, and many of the interesting stories surrounding them, have added immensely to baseball's lore. While I enjoy looking at my 1954 Aaron, I equally enjoy pulling out the binder holding my 1965 set and looking at the players that defined the game at that point in history.

Again, no wrong answer to your question. Do what makes you happy. Just offering another viewpoint. Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ed

Last edited by Vintagevault13; 08-06-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:38 AM
Taylor Hamilton

Whelp! Looks like I was not fast enough as the buyer told me the card sold. FWIW, the card was the M110 Sporting News Honus Wagner Cabinet and what I was selling off was pieces of a 1914 CJ set I am building. Appreciate all of the advice... will certainly have a better grasp next time on what to do and how quickly to move.