NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-05-2016, 08:45 AM
Tyler

Default Post a Price..or "Make an Offer?"

I was hoping we could have a somewhat intelligent discussion within this forum, as it relates to the philosophy of offering sports cards for Sale/Trade. More specifically, a detailed discussion and/or debate on the philosophy behind those who believe a seller should post a price vs. a seller asking an interested party to just "make an offer."

I bring this up for discussion, only because I continue to see it as an ever growing point of conflict in the B/S/T forums. I believe this open forum would be a much better platform to discuss the topic at hand, in a civil manner.... instead of ruining someone's B/S/T thread. But I believe it is a topic that should be openly discussed by anyone and everyone that is interested in buying or selling on this forum.

I do find it interesting, that people that argue one side or the other are pretty passionate about their beliefs.......yet there is consistently one side that always seems to bark louder, and with more anger behind their replies.

For me personally, I have always been neutral in my thoughts on this, but I definitely have made some observations recently "like the one above," that have me leaning slightly in one direction. Just thought I'd share, in hopes of inspiring productive conversation.

1. As a seller, you have the freedom to price your item in ANY way you want. That's your prerogative, and no ones else's. If you want to price it at 300% over the current going rate...so be it. Nobody here can dictate what you want to sell something for.

2. If you are genuinely trying to sell a card, why would you NOT post a price? Once again, being completely neutral on the subject...I'm curious to know what is there to gain, by not posting a price? It seems very counterproductive if selling the card is your true motive. By not posting a price, is it safe to say that you are automatically eliminating a good percentage of your prospective buyers from the get go?

So, I would love to see some input. A real discussion of thoughts here. Or even a quick snipe post, saying something derogatory. Whatever it may be..I am truly curious to know as many posters beliefs on this subject as possible.

Last edited by Filthy; 04-05-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:49 AM
Jay P$R$E
Jason Pi.rie (banned)

Agreed. It's the seller's property so he/she can post any price they feel comfortable with.

As a buyer/customer, if you don't like the price just walk away. It's that simple in my opinion.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:53 AM
Ben North

For me not having to post a price in the BST section is one of the few rules on this site I do not like. If it is for sale put a price on it. Just my opinion but not posting a price and asking for offers is trying to find a "guppy" to highly overpay for an item.

Edited to add I agree with this also: It's the seller's property so he/she can post any price they feel comfortable with.

As a buyer/customer, if you don't like the price just walk away. It's that simple in my opinion.

Last edited by bnorth; 04-05-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:53 AM
David $tephens

If its something I am looking for, I will inquire to the price even if not posted. If its something of interest, I will click on the thread to see if there is a price posted if not I usually move on. If there is a price posted and I think its a good deal, I will jump at it. I am certainly not going to post on a thread if I have absolutely no interest in the card. I wouldn't want to get caught "Noob Meddlin" JK
Old 04-05-2016, 08:56 AM
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageJay View Post
Agreed. It's the seller's property so he/she can post any price they feel comfortable with.

I agree as well, as this is how commerce is conducted, and transactions are made on an everyday basis throughout the World.

But that doesn't address the issue of someone posting something for sale...and then NOT posting a price. It's hard to "not like a price" and walk away..when there isn't a price given. Maybe the card can be purchased for EXACTLY what you are wanting to spend...but you will never know, because the seller will not give you a price.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:00 AM
Paul

Sometimes I am considering parting with a beautiful card. It would really have to generate an offer that would blow me away. I am concerned if I put a price down that if accepted I would have to part with, but I also want to determine a reasonable market price for the card. Sometimes I just want to get offers on cards I have so I know what market is out there if I decide to sell now or later.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-05-2016, 09:04 AM
Jay P$R$E
Jason Pi.rie (banned)

I agree with that also.

No price means no sale to me as a buyer. I can't remember ever buying an item without a price so I don't understand what the seller's thoughts are behind it.

I would rather the seller at least post a price (even if it's on the high end) with an "or best offer" option.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:07 AM
pete ullman

For the most part I don't like "make an offer" sales as I agree most of the time the seller is fishing. On the other hand I have made private deals with folks on this board who asked me to make an offer which they did accept.

But on the other hand...I have a handful of cards that are very rare...some one of a kind...and previous sales info is scarce if not nonexistent...so I really don't know what to charge...seeing as all I know is what I paid for it. I am reluctant to put prices on such cards. If someone wants one of these they will have to knock my socks off...to a certain degree!
Old 04-05-2016, 09:09 AM
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
Sometimes I am considering parting with a beautiful card. It would really have to generate an offer that would blow me away. I am concerned if I put a price down that if accepted I would have to part with, but I also want to determine a reasonable market price for the card. Sometimes I just want to get offers on cards I have so I know what market is out there if I decide to sell now or later.
So, If I understand your post correctly, there are two different circumstances here for you.

1. "It would need to generate an offer that would blow you away." There's no fault here, as I am the same way. There are things that I would part with...only if it brought the right kind of money. However...whatever "that" number is..you already internally know what it would take. So, why not post that as the price? If it sells....then you're "blown away" and happy with that price.

2. "Sometimes I just want to get offers on cards I have so I know what market is out there if I decide to sell now or later." So, if I understand it correctly..you aren't actually wanting to sell the card...more or less "testing the waters" or trying to get a current value?
Old 04-05-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
For me not having to post a price in the BST section is one of the few rules on this site I do not like. If it is for sale put a price on it. Just my opinion but not posting a price and asking for offers is trying to find a "guppy" to highly overpay for an item.

Edited to add I agree with this also: It's the seller's property so he/she can post any price they feel comfortable with.

Agree with Ben here.....and if the seller does not respond with a price, I generally just walk away. To me, this means the seller really isn't interested in selling and they are looking for a "guppy" as Ben indicated.

Z
Old 04-05-2016, 09:15 AM
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageJay View Post
No price means no sale to me as a buyer. I can't remember ever buying an item without a price so I don't understand what the seller's thoughts are behind it.

I would rather the seller at least post a price (even if it's on the high end) with an "or best offer" option.
This is my sentiment as well. By not posting a price, most sellers are eliminating a very large percentage of their prospective buyers right from the get go.

Last edited by Filthy; 04-05-2016 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:17 AM
J3ff Thr0m

"I have a T206 Lundgren Chicago that is a Piedmont 350 back, one of the elite 8 or 12. It's trimmed on the three sides and has a touch of paper loss on the back."

Put a price on it? Tough to do. I'm all for being transparent but when there is not enough data to go with, the best way is to tell folks to make an offer on it. If the offers don't feel right, you just kindly say no and move on.

I get that kind of situation. Frustrating for the buyers? Maybe.....but it makes some sense to me from the seller's perspective.

I usually post prices when I want to sell a card. When I want to trade it, I will say that I will entertain offers, and would likely not include the price and would likely only accept an offer if it is above what I wanted to sell it for. I have had the situations above though and it's really tough to add a price.

Last edited by Thromdog; 04-05-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:21 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

"If you are genuinely trying to sell a card, why would you NOT post a price? Once again, being completely neutral on the subject...I'm curious to know what is there to gain, by not posting a price? It seems very counterproductive if selling the card is your true motive. By not posting a price, is it safe to say that you are automatically eliminating a good percentage of your prospective buyers from the get go?"

Basically, i dont think people are serious if they dont list a price.. and you will see on this forum that cards without a price tend to not sell like the ones with prices..

also for all the people worried about asking for too little, they can always do a price or best offer....can ask for sky high amount....you wont see people complain about people asking 10x more than perceived market value versus no price at all....plus you can still get offers in with 'or best offer'...with no price you lose some possible buyers.....

seller is free to do what they want but if they are serious in selling a card , i dont think the no price option is a good idea....

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 04-05-2016 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:24 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy View Post
So, why not post that as the price?
Obscenely high asking prices will not generate reasonable counter-offers. And reasonable prices might get accepted.

Quote:
2. [Y]ou aren't actually wanting to sell the card...more or less "testing the waters" or trying to get a current value?
Yes, but sometimes the water is perfect and you jump right in.

@SignedT206
Old 04-05-2016, 09:24 AM
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thromdog View Post
"I have a T206 Lundgren Chicago that is a Piedmont 350 back, one of the elite 8 or 12. It's trimmed on the three sides and has a touch of paper loss on the back."

Put a price on it? Tough to do. I'm all for being transparent but when there is not enough data to go with, the best way is to tell folks to make an offer on it. If the offers don't feel right, you just kindly say no and move on.
Once again, as a seller, it's your prerogative to ask whatever you want for a card. But, I don't understand the above? In regards to receiving the offers that don't feel right, vs. an offer that makes you say yes to doing the transaction.

So, if you have a card, and ask them to make an offer. If you are going to say no to $200, and are going to say no to $250..and are going to say no to $300, but if somebody offers up $375...and that offer feels right! So, you agree to it........ why wouldn't you post it up for $375 in the first place? You would already have to internally know what that threshold is.

Last edited by Filthy; 04-05-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:25 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

It really makes no difference to me how anyone posts something for sale. Even when it doesn't have a price I will consider it the same way I consider any purchase.

The thing I hate is the opposite. When I post a price and I get "what is the lowest you will take?". I already posted a price. Why is it now on me to bid against myself to sell the item?

Or when I don't even post a card for sale, but another member knows I own it and they ask "are you willing to sell?", then follow up with "what would you take for it?". At that point I believe it is on them to offer a price. I didn't post it for sale, so why would you force my hand to give you a price point? If you want it than make an offer.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:27 AM
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
Obscenely high asking prices will not generate reasonable counter-offers. And reasonable prices might get accepted.

Yes, but sometimes the water is perfect and you jump right in.
Thats kind of the whole point. If a card is reasonably priced.....there would never be a need for a back and forth counter offer. everyone would just jump right in. Buyer happy...seller happy.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:27 AM
pete ullman

I agree with the statement that if u want to sell a card you should price it.

BUT...if someone wants to buy a card out of my collection I am not advertising...they must make off Im ok with!
Old 04-05-2016, 09:31 AM

"Make an Offer" posts can be seen as "WTB" posts. Consider: a post like the following would be unobjectionable:

WTB: 1966 Don Drysdale

I'm looking for a 1966 Drysdale, but I'm on a pretty tight budget. I could go up to, say, $20. So whoever can offer me the best-condition 1966 Drysdale for $20 gets my money. Let me know!

Now, basically, "Make an Offer" posts are doing the same thing, but in reverse. Basically, they're saying:

WTB: Money

I'm looking for money, but I'm on a pretty tight budget. What I can pay for money is a 1966 Don Drysdale. Condition of the money is unimportant, but I am interested in quantity. So whoever can offer me the most money gets my 1966 Drysdale. Let me know!

While that's meant to be silly, it's also true. On the other hand, making an offer to sell or to buy involves the risk of proposing something insultingly high- or low-ball. (Or at least that will be taken to be insulting.) And proposing something insulting doesn't feel very good. The psychological effect of this is mitigated when the sale offer is insultingly high, because it simply prevents any interaction at all between seller and (prospective) buyer. The post simply doesn't get any response. But with a make-an-offer the prospective buyer needs to do something that may end up being gauche - the seller's response may be "come on, get serious" - and there's a sort of embarrassment involved there that the buyer may like to avoid. (Which could lead to a higher offer, or could lead to not making any offer at all.)
Old 04-05-2016, 09:45 AM
David $tephens

I put prices on the stuff I want to sell. I do this because I'm already determined to sell it and that price is what I need for it. If I am just fishing or not quite ready to sell, I try to not put it out there just yet. That's me and I totally understand what T206collector is saying so its not really a black and white subject The great thing about this site is the fact that if you don't like it you can just move on to the next thread. I am certainly not going to question someone's price publicly, but I will exercise the principles of free market and not purchase the item.

Last edited by Pilot172000; 04-05-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:49 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Once again, as a seller, it's your prerogative to ask whatever you want for a card. But, I don't understand the above? In regards to receiving the offers that don't feel right, vs. an offer that makes you say yes to doing the transaction.

So, if you have a card, and ask them to make an offer. If you are going to say no to $200, and are going to say no to $250..and are going to say no to $300, but if somebody offers up $375...and that offer feels right! So, you agree to it........ why wouldn't you post it up for $375 in the first place? You would already have to internally know what that threshold is.

That internal threshold may only be reached once he sees what offers are coming in.....in a housing analogy which i tend to use....you see someone list a house on the market for a price thats over market.....they may not accept an offer for 25% less the day after the listing..but if they keep getting offers in for 50% under listing for 2 months...they may now later accept an offer thats 25% under the listing price..

sometimes the first offer is the best offer.....usually the serious buyers know the market and jump on a newly listed item....however for some reason sellers seem nervous to deal with a first offer..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 04-05-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:57 AM
Paul

Quote:
Thats kind of the whole point. If a card is reasonably priced.....there would never be a need for a back and forth counter offer. everyone would just jump right in. Buyer happy...seller happy.
The only reason I do not put a reasonable price next to something is if the market is not fully established or if I am looking to get an offer substantially above the established market price.

@SignedT206
Old 04-05-2016, 10:15 AM
Paul S

The standard practice (at least in Western countries) is to list a sales price if you are offering to sell something. That's why you don't see a lot of houses listed under "Make an offer." Even for cars, where people expect that the list price is just a starting point, the list price is a starting point for the buyer to respond to. Likewise with auctions, which start at a particular price, even if no one expects the item to sell anywhere near the starting price. If you are offering to sell something, you, the seller, are expected to propose a price.

Now if you have something that you don't intend to sell, but would if someone gave you enough money for it, it's fine if you don't put a price on it and want to just wait for offers. There is nothing ethically wrong with this. But you also probably shouldn't list it on this forum's buy/sell page since it is not technically being offered for sale.

As for someone trying to determine the value of an item, the best way is simply to ask the forum what it thinks the true value is. I've done this several times. You will get a lot more responses than you will by putting something up as Make-an-offer. Sometimes you will also get offers to buy.

Last edited by pbspelly; 04-05-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:24 AM
A.J. Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbspelly View Post
The standard practice (at least in Western countries) is to list a sales price if you are offering to sell something. That's why you don't see a lot of houses listed under "Make an offer." Even for cars, where people expect that the list price is just a starting point, the list price is a starting point for the buyer to respond to. Likewise with auctions, which start at a particular price, even if no one expects the item to sell anywhere near the starting price. If you are offering to sell something, you, the seller, are expected to propose a price.

Now if you have something that you don't intend to sell, but would if someone gave you enough money for it, it's fine if you don't put a price on it and want to just wait for offers. There is nothing ethically wrong with this. But you also probably shouldn't list it on this forum's buy/sell page since it is not technically being offered for sale.

As for someone trying to determine the value of an item, the best way is simply to ask the forum what it thinks the true value is. I've done this several times. You will get a lot more responses than you will by putting something up as Make-an-offer. Sometimes you will also get offers to buy.
I don't agree as I think the bst section can facilitate both straight priced cards and those that members want to guage the market and take best offers. If you're a good buyer you should be able to navigate both scenarios
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 04-05-2016, 10:24 AM
Tyler

I can't think of any other open market, or place of business that advertises (yes..by posting in a B/S/T forum, you are advertising) new or used products for sale, yet intentionally chooses to not openly display a price on said goods for sale. There are a few here, who have given reasons as to why they wouldn't post a price, and I appreciate the input. When it all boils down, there are only two "legitimate" reasons, why someone would seek out a For Sale forum, and post something for sale...and then NOT post a price. For the most part, any and all reasons can fit into one of these two categories below...

1. Seller doesn't know what their item is worth. An uneducated seller. Maybe they're new to the hobby, or maybe they don't eat, sleep, and breath current market trends. This is understandable, as if you really aren't informed on what somethings worth it would make sense to offer something up as "make offer."

2. Seller is being dishonest. Such a harsh word really, but still an accurate description. As a seller, you know exactly how much you have invested in a card. Whether that be from an emotional standpoint..or a monetary value..you know exactly what the card is worth to you. Therefore you also know EXACTLY what it would take for you to say yes...to selling the card. By not posting a price, you are only "fishing" for someone to pay you even more than what that "yes" threshold is. There isn't any other possible explanation, and any attempts of explaining otherwise would be seen by most as a lie. There is no judgement being passed unto you, but this is what you are, and who you are.

So with that said, those of us who post in the B/S/T forums, and choose not to post a price, that is fine...as we have many times discussed that it is the sellers prerogative to post however they so choose. But, I would ask you which of the two categories above do you fit in? The first or second? I'm not one to dictate what category most of the sellers fit into, but I personally find it hard to believe that someone purchasing/selling $200+ or especially $2,000-$5,000 baseball cards is doing so, without having alot of knowledge of the hobby/current market trends.

Last edited by Filthy; 04-05-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:27 AM
Sean Costello

Quoting Jeff L.:"I find that with expensive cards, people don't like to bid against themselves and need a price."

I've been in situations where someone knows that I want a card, and asks me how much will I pay for the card. In that case I don't mind giving a figure.

But if the card is listed on the BST without a price, I don't like to make the first move.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:33 AM
James
James Kin.chen

I guess the "Noob Meddlin" was referring to me and the message I posted. As I said in the other post, it is your card, you should know what it will take to buy it. Why not post a price and not have to answer a bunch of emails or PMs asking your price? As others have said, if no price is posted most guys will just move on. If you are only accepting offers, put it up for auction. This is one of the few forums that I am a member of that doesn't require prices to be listed.
James
Old 04-05-2016, 10:34 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post

I agree with this. A seller can price his card at whatever price he wants. I also do not agree with the rule of allowing listings without a price. There aren't many other instances I can think of in which something is publicly for sale without a price. I get that some cards are rare and hard to estimate a market for, but I have never tried to sell something without having an idea of what I'm willing to take.

I think this would make for an interesting poll. My vote would be to ban b/s/t listings with no price.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:41 AM
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I agree with this. A seller can price his card at whatever price he wants. I also do not agree with the rule of allowing listings without a price. There aren't many other instances I can think of in which something is publicly for sale without a price. I get that some cards are rare and hard to estimate a market for, but I have never tried to sell something without having an idea of what I'm willing to take.

I think this would make for an interesting poll. My vote would be to ban b/s/t listings with no price.

Honestly, I originally thought about making it a poll. And I am confident in exactly how that poll would look. (VERY Heavily weighted in one direction.) Yet, it doesn't change the fact that there are those in the business...err...I mean hobby for all the wrong reasons, that have a very strong here on Net54. So, I am pretty confident, that the poll/thread would have been removed/deleted within minutes of its inception.

Last edited by Filthy; 04-05-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:43 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
The thing I hate is the opposite. When I post a price and I get "what is the lowest you will take?". I already posted a price. Why is it now on me to bid against myself to sell the item?
Amen brother. Especially when it is already a great deal to begin with!
Old 04-05-2016, 10:44 AM
Sean Costello

This isn't C U.

Leon rarely shuts down any threads, including polls.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:49 AM
A.J. Johnson

It's pretty simple, you'd post without a price in hopes that someone will offer an amount that's more than what you expected. For both buyer and seller this is obviously a more complicated transaction scenario but at the end of the day a bst buyer doesn't have to participate and can move on the the next. For me the back and forth is fun in finding out if there's a deal to be had. As a buyer I know what I want to pay and if it's not enough for the seller no hard feelings
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time

Last edited by ajjohnsonsoxfan; 04-05-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:50 AM
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
This isn't C U.

Leon rarely shuts down any threads, including polls.
Sorry, I guess it was more of a tongue in cheek comment, as I would think Leon's integrity would be worth much more than a few members requesting such a thing. But, i did just notice that within 5 seconds of sending that aklst post...that I heard a few noises outside the house. When I look outisde, there is a black unmarked SUV, and a black helicopter directly overhead.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:52 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Sorry, I guess it was more of a tongue in cheek comment, as I would think Leon's integrity would be worth much more than a few members requesting such a thing. But, i did just notice that within 5 seconds of sending that aklst post...that I heard a few noises outside the house. When I look outisde, there is a black unmarked SUV, and a black helicopter directly overhead.
They were probably there well before that post.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:52 AM
Tyler

Quote:
bobbyw8469
This message is hidden because bobbyw8469 is on your ignore list.
Good story Bro!
Old 04-05-2016, 10:56 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Good story Bro!
Isn't that option awesome! I also figure it is why I get very few responses to my posts.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:02 AM
Robert Williams

I'm glad I'm on his ignore list. Dude was a grade A, #1 jerk in my only dealing with him. The feeling is definitely mutual.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:02 AM
Steven Finley

I've sold 100+ items on this site and the old one and twice (2) I did not post a price because I was either unsure of the market or just testing the waters. Both sold within the first 24 hours if I remember correctly. In my opinion, price or no price, competency of both the buyer and seller in terms of communication, negotiation, and consolation far outweigh rather or not there is a number on a sticker on an item. This is by far the safest, broadest, and fair buying arena in the vintage market and in my opinion complaining about not having a price rule is akin to telling Kate Upton she could stand to shed five pounds. Just my two cents.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:09 AM
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
It's pretty simple, you'd post without a price in hopes that someone will offer an amount
that's more than what you expected. For both buyer and seller this is obviously a more complicated transaction scenario but at the end of the day a bst buyer doesn't have to participate and can move on the the next. For me the back and forth is fun in finding out if there's a deal to be had. As a buyer I know what I want to pay and if it's not enough for the seller no hard feelings
I understand the importance of the "art of negotiation", and its intricacies. In a previous post, you mentioned that a "good buyer" wouldn't mind navigating/structuring such a deal, as if someone who doesn't want to take a day or two negotiating a deal for a baseball card, isn't worth their salt. These are baseball cards, not life altering decisions. I would guess, that for most....that this is a waste of time. (Not a badge of honor, or a measure of your badassness in buying bubble gum cards.)

Last edited by Filthy; 04-05-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Robert Williams

can someone share how to ignore users?
je.sse @rnot

Well I started a poll if any one feels like voting. You guys already know my vote. I am curious to see the results. No helicopters or black suvs in sight yet.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:12 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
can someone share how to ignore users?
PM sent.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:12 AM
Robert Williams

Ahhh...thanks everyone!
Old 04-05-2016, 11:14 AM
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Well I started a poll if any one feels like voting. You guys already know my vote. I am curious to see the results. No helicopters or black suvs in sight yet.
No conspiracys here, but I wolud guess that you will have quite a few voting in the poll, that didn't have the chutzpah to post in this thread.

Last edited by Filthy; 04-05-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:36 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

A large number of buyers see a price, want the card and pay the price. If they don't see a price, they then either walk or have a hissy fit. For transactions of this type there should be a DFZ.

Other buyers will routinely see a price, want the card and offer less. If the seller doesn't comply, both parties either walk or have a hissy fit. If negotiation ensues, then this type of listing does not belong in a DFZ.

Other buyers will routinely ignore the price, want the card and make a lowball offer. If the listing price is much higher than market (and the seller knows it), a deal might ensue but is extremely unlikely, but can occur. Making a reasonable lower offer on a BIN (without the OBO option) can result in a deal. Here the BIN is essentially an irrelevant price.

So what is a seller to do. Basically this is influenced by a number of factors.

Does he need the cash yesterday? If so, he prices for a quick sale.

Does he price exactly at market price and wait for the first "I'll take it" while fending off multiple offers for less?

Does he price a little above market to be able to accomodate reasonable "hagglers" that are BTH?

Does he intentionally overprice thinking that when he announces a "price drop" he will attract bargain hunters? Have you ever been to Hawaii where all the shirts for tourists are 50% off?

I would venture to say that everything we have is for sale if the offer is high enough. Motivation to sell is extremely variable.

Conclusion Recipe

Mix many types of buyers with many types of sellers.

Create a BST with as few rules as possible placing restrictions on the market itself. No price, no problem. High price, no problem. Lowball offer, no problem. DFZ, not needed. BTH, why not.

Let free market economics work in the real world.

I will not buy from every seller, nor will I sell to every buyer, but I will sell anything I have one way or the other.

Footnotes:

DFZ = dicker free zone
BTH = born to haggle

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 04-05-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:38 AM
Peter Spaeth

Have you ever seen a mattress or rug that was not on a clearance sale?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-05-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:45 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post

That is the Rick Harrison move from "Pawn Stars." On just about every episode, someone will put a price out there, Rich will sigh, rub his head and come back with "What's the lowest you will take?"

Last edited by Bored5000; 04-05-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:51 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
That is the Rick Harrison move from "Pawn Stars." On just about every episode, someone will put a price out there, Rich will sigh, rub his head and come back with "What's the lowest you will take?"
The sellers says 'whats the highest you will offer' so it goes both ways
Old 04-05-2016, 12:05 PM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
1. As a seller, you have the freedom to price your item in ANY way you want. That's your prerogative, and no ones else's. If you want to price it at 300% over the current going rate...so be it. Nobody here can dictate what you want to sell something for.

2. If you are genuinely trying to sell a card, why would you NOT post a price? Once again, being completely neutral on the subject...I'm curious to know what is there to gain, by not posting a price? It seems very counterproductive if selling the card is your true motive. By not posting a price, is it safe to say that you are automatically eliminating a good percentage of your prospective buyers from the get go?
1. Very true yet unwise because of #2
2. I would say that I like to see people post a price with make me an offer. Showing that there price is negotiable. I generally never pay someones asking price. If they stand pat I steer away it's usually the way I roll.

On the reverse side the seller may not be entirely sure of the market price for the card so he/she doesn't list a price and get's a couple inquires to see what the card is worth.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 04-05-2016, 12:10 PM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Where's the fun in that? Doesn't everyone like to haggle?
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%

Last edited by Joshchisox08; 04-05-2016 at 12:10 PM.