NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Brian J0hns0n

Default PSA graded cards question

Are all PSA slabbed cards graded the same as far as serial number? For example, is a card graded by PSA in 1998 the same condition as one graded in 2010?
Old 05-07-2011, 05:26 PM

Your question doesn't make sense... And knowing what you mean it should hold for any grading company.

Serial numbers have nothing to do with a grade a cards receives. It just matches a card and it's assigned grade.

A card graded in 1998 should be consistent with one today if the condition is similar.

However, grading is subjective and surely someone that graded a card in 1998 would be a different person than someone grading it today, thus that subjective opinion may vary.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

At a very general level, many people believe grading standards have somewhat tightened over the years at PSA, at least at the high end. Perhaps reflecting an increasing number of cards with very sharp corners -- draw your own conclusions. That said, this says nothing about any given card, because any grade level has always had a low end and high end covering a significant spectrum.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:01 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

One difference in the grading is that within that last couple of years PSA has introduced half grades. Therefore, for example, strong 5's in 1998 might receive 5.5's if the card is sent in for Review submission.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:39 PM

agree completely with the earlier comments. but your question also asked about the serial numbers -- do the serial numbers actually correlate with the timing of submission?
thanks,
--S
Old 05-07-2011, 11:53 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

With PSA, I believe the serial numbers actually do correlate with the timing of the submission. The smaller the number, the earlier the submission.

Ironically, just today in the PSA forum, a poster has a thread on the history of PSA flips: Linky

Last edited by glchen; 05-08-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
With PSA, I believe the serial numbers actually do correlate with the timing of the submission. The smaller the number, the earlier the submission.

Ironically, just today in the PSA forum, a poster has a thread on the history of PSA flips: Linky
Yes and no... PSA certification numbers do go in order... however when a flip is returned as a card that was crossed over, that certification number gets reused... thus an original early certification number can now be used for a card that was graded just last week for example.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:41 AM
Brian J0hns0n

Sorry if my question was confusing. Yes I was under the impression that serial numbers were sequential; the lower the number, the earlier it was graded. But didn't think about the crossover situation. I ask because I've heard to stay away from low serial numbers because the grading wasn't always true.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:22 AM
Dan Marke1

My observation is that the serial numbers up until about 4 years ago were rather random, but all started with the number "0". I recall in a discussion with a former PSA grader that the 08xxxxxx slabs were graded at shows and in his opinion those tended to be overgraded since they were mainly for the "big" dealers.

Then of late, the past three or four years, they have shown a pattern of being in some type of numerical order i.e. 157xxxxx to the current 189xxxxx. This closely coincides when PSA went to the 1/2 grade scale.

Another observation is that the early graded cards, (the ones with the font that has a diagonal through the zero) had a reputation of being overgraded. As a result, many of those cards would get reholdered to have a newer looking flip without changing the grade.

Overall, I don't think there's any question that the PSA grading standards, in terms of assigned grades, are tougher now than they were 20 years ago. However, in my opinion, advanced card doctoring wasn't that pervasive as it is today, so there's probably a better chance of getting a doctored card in a slab today than one would get twenty years ago.