NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-24-2015, 01:53 PM
Al

Default 1st time baseball hof trip question ?

Hello I am possibly going to try to make it to Cooperstown this year for my first hof induction weekend because mike piazza and griffey he were my favorite players growing up. For those that have been before any tips to make this a Great trip? Also what airport would I fly into to get to Cooperstown? Any hotel recommendations? places to eat or must see and do things? Any good card shops ? What about places to get hof autographs such as any shows or signings there? And also I read that the hotels in Cooperstown are already booked up this early in advance any truth to that? thanks

Last edited by hawaiian bam bam; 12-24-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I moved this from the water cooler section to get a few more views. Thanks for being careful and good luck..
Old 12-24-2015, 05:44 PM
Al

thank you very much, i appreciate your help.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:35 PM

Go to the wax museum next to the HOF; it is well worth it.
Old 12-25-2015, 05:50 AM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian bam bam View Post
Hello I am possibly going to try to make it to Cooperstown this year for my first hof induction weekend because mike piazza and griffey he were my favorite players growing up. For those that have been before any tips to make this a Great trip? Also what airport would I fly into to get to Cooperstown? Any hotel recommendations? places to eat or must see and do things? Any good card shops ? What about places to get hof autographs such as any shows or signings there? And also I read that the hotels in Cooperstown are already booked up this early in advance any truth to that? thanks
Book whatever hotel accommodations you can as far in advance as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if everything within an hour drive is sold out already. Also, make it a Thur - Mon trip if you can swing it. Lots to see and do.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:00 AM
S Gross

Not baseball, but, if you're a beer fan (like a few of us on this board ) check out Ommegang Brewing. The best Belgium beer made in US.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:34 AM
je.sse @rnot

What date is the ceremony? I've never been and Griffey was my favorite player as a kid. What a great time for your first HOF trip. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:26 AM
Chris

Default Go B&B

There are loads of very good bed and breakfasts in town and out in the surrounding area. Go online to some of the B&B spots to search. Also maybe try VRBO.com That's for vacation rentals and I've had luck with them, although never tried the Cooperstown region. Have Fun!!
Old 12-25-2015, 03:39 PM

Bam bam, induction weekend is fantastic. I went in 2007. It is very well organized. The induction itself is in a large field, think several soccer fields. So you will be in the sun, unless it is a cloudy day, or have VIP seats, so be prepared. You can bring lawn chairs, "beach umbrella", coolers, picnic lunch, etc. It is a very family friendly event. By car Albany, Syracuse are less than 2 hours, buffalo and NYC are less than 4. Lodging is extremely difficult for induction weekend. We live in Buffalo and stayed in Utica which is less than an hour away. We drove forth and back from Utica to cooperstown on both days. It was still worth it. Check out the Hall's webpage' it has lots of info. There are also tour companies which might make the whole experience easier and enjoyable, especially since you are coming from far away. Send me a private message if you want to hear more. Go for it!
Old 12-27-2015, 02:19 PM
Al

thanks guys, i appreciate the advice. what airport would I fly into? i will go check to see how much airfare is. thanks
Old 12-27-2015, 02:32 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Just an obvious note of caution…I love Piazza, but definitely don't count on him making it. Knock on wood. I hope to heck he does, but he's seemingly embroiled in the the steroids imbroglio, so who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:39 PM
Doug Goodman

Just a comment, not meant to discourage you about your trip in any way, in fact I'm jealous of you going for the induction, but...

For the absolutely best visit to the museum itself, the best time to go is in the middle of winter (assuming they have a winter this year). When I took my dad back there a few years ago, we went in late January and pretty much had the place to ourselves. I think they sold 8 tickets the day we went.

And hotel rooms were easy to get.

One of these years I'll make it to the induction...

Doug
Old 12-27-2015, 02:52 PM
David McDonald

There have been numerous threads about visiting Cooperstown on the board over the years. However the search function is a bit like typing with mittens in that it is hard to zero in on a topic. Here's a link from 2009 which might give you a few ideas about what there is to see and do in C'town. My wife and I visited in 2007 and stayed at the Otesaga. It was total magic. Mind you, we went in October when it was very quiet and we had the HoF virtually to ourselves. Induction Weekend will be a whole 'nother story. You'd be lucky to get within 100 yards of the Otesaga - that's where all the HOFers and big shots will be staying. We drove up from NYC via the Catskills to Cooperstown - a lovely trip, and returned to NYC via Albany and I-87 which was the opposite of lovely. My guess is that you could fly into Albany or perhaps Utica from one of the major airports but someone else would know better. BTW, I lived in Honolulu for twenty years - moved back to the mainland in 2011 - and didn't meet a vintage card collector the whole time. There were a couple of guys from the Hilo area that used to post here years ago but never crossed their paths. Which island are you on?

Hawaii Winter League game at Hans L'Orange Field in Waipahu mid-nineties
Old 12-27-2015, 05:00 PM

to round out your trip -

if you get some time also go to the saratoga springs and especially the horse race track. it is a neat town and the track is quite historic.

you will have fun at the hall of fame but the crowds may cause you some grief during the time frame you are attending.

all the best,
jsq
Old 12-27-2015, 05:23 PM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybuddyinc View Post
Not baseball, but, if you're a beer fan (like a few of us on this board ) check out Ommegang Brewing. The best Belgium beer made in US.
As Scott said Ommegang is just a few miles away from Cooperstown. Lots of Belgian beer. Cooperstown Brewery is actually NOT located in Cooperstown but is close by. They've changed ownership for about the 3rd time and went back to the original recipes which are quite good. Council Rock is the place to go for beer though!!!

Cooperstown diner is the best place for food hands down. It's extremely small, cheap, and has the best food. Back Alley Grille is decent and the draft selection is pretty good. Double Day Cafe is just an average restaurant. Sal's Pizza is pretty good. NY Pizzeria has pretty damn good grinders. Avoid the Chinese restaurant it's got a cool name "Foo Kin" but that's all.

All the vintage shops are long gone. It's a lot of touristy BS now. Ommegang has their owns store on main street where the hall is. The hall overall is pretty damn cheap and AMAZING. Last time I went they didn't have the pre-war cards on display but the other 7 or 8 times I've been they did. Yaz's has the only pre-war cards you'll find. There's an older guy name Dave who only works during the week. You can barter with him as he will take less than the marked price. I got my Cobb strip card off of him and a Harry Hooper strip card as well. Really nice guy.

Anything else let me know. I could have wrote a lot more. I LOVE COOPERSTOWN and have been there about 10 times or so, so I know it quite well.

Cheers,

Josh
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 12-27-2015, 07:20 PM
Archive

My advice would be to check online and see if the bed & breakfast has any openings.

Sometimes baseball players stay there during induction weekend, but you didn't hear that from me.

Here is the website for it.

rosenthistle.com

I really enjoyed my stay with them and the meals were incredible.

You'll have no problems finding any baseball/card shops.

Kawika/David's link was from my first trip to Cooperstown.

I didn't want to come home. Seriously. My vacation became a job hunt. I even talked to the HOF to see if they had any openings.

Last edited by Jantz; 12-27-2015 at 07:22 PM. Reason: x
Old 12-27-2015, 07:51 PM

I haven't been to Cooperstown in nearly 20 years. Went in early June when the weather was nice but the HOF wasn't too crowded. Plenty of time and space to enjoy everything. I'd imagine an induction weekend could be a lot of fun, but could also have some downside with the crowds. If you're coming from such a long distance, decide what would be most important for you -- the excitement of induction weekend or time to soak it all in without the crowds (and trouble finding lodging).
Old 12-28-2015, 01:10 AM

Rose and Thisle is fantastic but when I was there in 2010 I was told that a former player, now announcer from NYC stays there every year for induction weekend, so there is no room at the inn.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:34 AM
Kevin O'Gara

I usually go every 3 years or so. There is also the Cooperstown distillery uptown. Making scotch, vodka etc. Tastings any time. It's done very well. Also I agree I go up during the Winterfest every time in February and you basically have the town to yourself the Hall of Famealso. there is not a better time than Midwinter
Old 01-01-2016, 08:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Great information for folks going to the Hall....thanks guys!!
Old 01-03-2016, 02:40 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

I would try to stay in Oneonta provided you can get to Cooperstown for the induction. Air bnb might be an option too.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:51 PM
Br3tt K0llin

Was there in 94 during induction week - ended up not going to the actual induction ceremony (Phil Rizzuto?!) though. Flew into Albany and it was our "base" during the trip. Drove to Cooperstown two of the days there. Drove to Boston (via Springfield and basketball HOF) for a game at Fenway one day. Saratoga springs for horse racing and its HOF on another day. Lots of driving (and tolls!) but a great trip and saw a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2016, 02:10 PM

Default HOF Visit

You will have an awesome time. I took my son last year for our first HOF visit from Houston (Biggio).
Airfare: I travel quite a bit for business so we flew from Houston to Albany. Easy flight.
Hotel: We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Oneanta (~30 minutes away from HOF). Make reservations today if you are going to attend. I was a HH member, used points and our hotel was free.
My wife surprised me with a Presidents Circle HOF membership that has some key benefits including free entry into the HOF, HOF ceremonies, early entry, merchandise discounts, etc. It is somewhat costly ($500) however worth every penny - helps you avoid long lines at HOF and reserved seating at HOF ceremonies. We went to the HOF every morning Friday-Monday with almost no one in the HOF for ~1 hour.
- We would get up early, have breakfast at the hotel or drive into Cooperstown. Free parking on all the side streets if you get there early enough - you save $10-$25/per day for parking.
- Comfortable shoes, sun screen, pack a cooler with lunch, fruit, water and eat down by the lake.
- Go to the post office directly across from the HOF on Sunday AM to get all your pieces stamped (HOF postcards, magazines, balls, etc.)
- Doubleday Field, Cooperstown Diner, Schneider's Bakery - all a must. Many cool shops however most are pretty expensive for autos or memorabilia.
- One member on this board has a card show on Main St. during HOF weekend - we went a few times.
- I did not get any autographs since I have all the living HOF'ers. Very costly however you can go up to the players and have a discussion - very open. Let me know if you have any questions - Tony
Old 01-04-2016, 02:45 PM
Duncan

I live not far and go to Cooperstown often. You can fly into Syracuse or Albany, they are about the same distance. Honestly I would enjoy the induction ceremony from home and make a trip as others have suggested in the off season. The Hall only closes on Christmas and Thanksgiving I believe. The crowds are gone after school starts up and you can see the whole place at your leisure without getting mauled. The best place to stay hands down is the Otesaga. It's not cheap but first class and the views of the lake are spectacular The food is very good too. You can walk from there to the downtown. If you are a golfer they have a wonderful course (Leatherstocking) and the Ommegang brewery is fabulous. The fall is the best time as the weather is usually still very nice and the foliage is great too. Saratoga would be a recommended side trip and the thoroughbreds run late July and all of August. Worth a visit but you will have to stay in Albany since room in Saratoga then is as impossible as Cooperstown during induction. Good luck and enjoy!
Old 01-06-2016, 06:21 PM
Al

thank you for your response, i appreciate it.

I just checked today and there are hotels still avail in cooperstown for $240 a night! i thought for sure they would all be booked up in cooperstown by now, but nope! unless the hotel just didnt update their website availability yet
Old 04-10-2016, 06:33 PM
Rick

Just got back from Cooperstown. What a great road trip. Drove from the northern Chicago Burbs through Cleveland, met Carlos Baerga while walking around Progressive Field. Spent a few hours at the Rock HoF...pretty cool too. Then to Niagra Falls near Buffalo, toured The Frank Lloyd Wright Darwin Martin House....awesome!

Being it's still the off season, hotels were easy and relatively cheap ( Holiday Inn Express). Stopped at Brewery Ommegang...a must for beer folks.

It was incredible being able to park anywhere we wanted in town...parked in the Double Day Field lot. We spent three days in town toured the Hall two days. I think two is a must, the hours are shorter this time of year, so we arrived at the Hall's opening. The third day I just popped into the gift shop and hit the stores in town. They had shorter hours too. Yaztremski's seemed to be the only one with any amount of pre war cards. I really wasn't card shopping or spending time comparing prices between stores. Frankly, I'm just not that knowledgeable to know what are good deals. I did find a store with a good selection of books and bought several. The HoF is wonderful, the workers are very enthusiastic and knowledgeable. The original portion of the building was shown to us and the steps from the first induction. The hall itself seemed smaller than I expected knowing they have so much many more artifacts in storage is kind of a bummer. I'd like to see it all. Early April is a couple months before the busy season starts. We had the place almost to ourselves but what fans we saw, fans of many teams, put a smile on my face,especially the Kids in jerseys. My wife, an emerging Cubs fan,enjoyed our days too. She read almost as much as I did at the displays. It snowing was the only bummer. I'd really enjoy going back, driving around the area more and hitting some of the vineyards. Induction weekend would be great but a totally different type of experiance I think.

I did mention they need some of Graig Kreindler's work in the small art room. I wish I could buy a few and donate them.

Last edited by RTK; 04-10-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:14 AM
Jay T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsq View Post
to round out your trip -

if you get some time also go to the saratoga springs and especially the horse race track. it is a neat town and the track is quite historic.

you will have fun at the hall of fame but the crowds may cause you some grief during the time frame you are attending.

all the best,
jsq
FYI, The Horse Track doesn't open until August as it is a one month season, not sure if it is open any in July. Not sure if it will be open that weekend or not.

Last edited by JTysver; 04-11-2016 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:17 AM
Jay T.

I might suggest going to the Hall of Fame Library. You can order really nice prints of pretty much anyone or anything. You can also look at anything, but you can't check it out.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:22 PM
Rick

Noticed the OBC link. I like their philosophy, "OBC is dedicated to the innocence of our youth when collecting was a hobby"