NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-26-2019, 09:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default What's there left to say at this point? Anyone just buy this 33 Gehrig?

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...&postcount=965

Sold on eBay for $1,999.00 on May 06, 2019 by jtur5101 (Item #112519688231)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-26-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:39 PM
Johnny MaZilli

PSA can not detect alterations.....prob 10’s of thousands if not more altered cards slabbed with number grades in their holders.....sad.....
I used to love this hobby now it’s like work......frauds and cons all around

“A fool and his money are soon parted”

Last edited by Johnny630; 06-26-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

All is well!! Just ask Steve Sloan.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:46 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Just so sad these cards have been ruined. Sadly, this one doesnt even bother me as much as the trimming and recoloring. I guess Brent's tenets about restoration are numbing me into silence.

This one did the ole pwcc to probstein flip. I'm sure if the detectives follow that trail, they will find some other fraud going on.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-27-2019, 07:00 AM

Do the creases eventually re-appear when a card is pressed like this?
Old 06-27-2019, 07:02 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejharrington View Post
I doubt it, but I would think the thickness of the card would be altered.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:07 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Susan Cicconi Sothebys restoration expert bragged on facebook that she altered this card (and many other 40s, 50s, and 60s cards) and that this one got through PSA. It is on her resume that she "restores" baseball cards for the auctionhouse.
Maybe this is one of those famous conservators Brent was talking about that he wants to bring to the masses under his new Marketplace Tenets. PWCC leading the field in fraud again.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:13 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejharrington View Post
Yes they can. Usually creases are not fixed internally in the card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I doubt it, but I would think the thickness of the card would be altered.
That kind of pressing is used to make the card bigger to be able to trim the edges and not remove creases.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:14 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

It’s for sale now on eBay for $2500 if anyone wants to buy the “evidence.” And, no, it’s not mine.

Is there anyone who tries to earn an honest buck anymore?
Old 06-27-2019, 07:21 AM
Christopher Zu.psic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
It’s for sale now on eBay for $2500 if anyone wants to buy the “evidence.” And, no, it’s not mine.

Is there anyone who tries to earn an honest buck anymore?
Lol, so the buyer probably saw that his purchase was altered, and now is trying to not only sell it, but to sell it for a premium to what he paid.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:30 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

He should sell it for even more. Then PSA's liability is even higher. Why PSA hasn't recalled all these cards by known doctors and PWCC conservators and told auction houses to stop auctioning their tainted products seems like something the SEC would be interested in.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:32 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
He should sell it for even more. Then PSA's liability is even higher. Why PSA hasn't recalled all these cards by known doctors and PWCC conservators and told auction houses to stop auctioning their tainted products seems like something the SEC would be interested in.
Rhetorical question I assume.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:39 AM
Al G algae
alan go.uld

Here is the solution tho this mess. And make no mistake this is a disaster. However we cannot undo what has already been done. If we want to stay in the hobby we need to assume that ALL graded cards are altered unless proven otherwise. The TPGs created this mess but if we want to stay and enjoy the hobby we need to reassess what a graded card is worth. I will be developing a new scale for what a graded card is.

For example a PSA 8oc used to = a PSA 6 and we paid accordingly. Basically that was the rule of thumb.

Now my new grading scale will be the same 2 point deduction. Sort of similar to a gymnastics scoring.

PSA 7 old = PSA 5 today
PSA 2 old = PSA authentic today

No such thing anymore as a PSA 9 or 10. Those days are gone thanks to 18 year old graders with no clue. These grading companies do not need a curtain to hide behind anymore at the National. We know that the kids looking at these cards are 18 year olds with back packs munching on Oreo's.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:41 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Rhetorical question I assume.
Who can tell anymore.!?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-27-2019, 07:49 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Pressing a card Like this completely Smashed the card stock two pieces of cardboard smashed together top and bottom. Cardboard is completely different then comic books, the women claims to be a comic book restoration expert, which is paper, cards are cardboard, totally different thickness and consistency. PSA missing this ought to be ashamed of itself. If you held this card up horizontally you can see the thinness of the card
Stock. What good are their services, nothing is full proof I’m not saying that, if they can’t consistently tell the difference of a altered card ?? To many misses and ugly ones like this. Kool Aid Drinkers Wake Up
PSA either sucks at their job or something worse....I’m going to stick with they really just suck at their job.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:56 AM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajg View Post
Here is the solution tho this mess. And make no mistake this is a disaster. However we cannot undo what has already been done. If we want to stay in the hobby we need to assume that ALL graded cards are altered unless proven otherwise. The TPGs created this mess but if we want to stay and enjoy the hobby we need to reassess what a graded card is worth. I will be developing a new scale for what a graded card is.

For example a PSA 8oc used to = a PSA 6 and we paid accordingly. Basically that was the rule of thumb.

Now my new grading scale will be the same 2 point deduction. Sort of similar to a gymnastics scoring.

PSA 7 old = PSA 5 today

No such thing anymore as a PSA 9 or 10. Those days are gone thanks to 18 year old graders with no clue. These grading companies do not need a curtain to hide behind anymore at the National. We know that the kids looking at these cards are 18 year olds with back packs munching on Oreo's.
Let’s stick to facts in these trying times. Plenty of legitimate things to complain about. This myth of the inexperienced 18 year old graders is a-pipe dream a made up story. Let’s stick to the facts please. Like I said enough legitimate stuff to discuss. Inaccuracies just water down the facts.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Susan Cicconi Sothebys restoration expert bragged on facebook that she altered this card (and many other 40s, 50s, and 60s cards) and that this one got through PSA. It is on her resume that she "restores" baseball cards for the auctionhouse.
Maybe this is one of those famous conservators Brent was talking about that he wants to bring to the masses under his new Marketplace Tenets. PWCC leading the field in fraud again.
What other things does she restore and pass off as original? Furniture, paintings, jewelry etc?

Old 06-27-2019, 09:00 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajg View Post

PSA 7 old = PSA 5 today

and you will lose every auction to someone without that scale.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:03 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Yep PSA will pay every dollar that someone wants because everyone will agree what the damages are. Being the 3rd buyer after the card was 'altered' wont cause any issues at all. Especially when that 3rd buyer paid 2x more than the 2nd buyer.

Or if there is an issue. Any lawsuit will be too time consuming and costs involved and attorney fees will prevent anyone from doing anything apparently...
Old 06-27-2019, 09:25 AM
Bob Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvor View Post
What other things does she restore and pass off as original? Furniture, paintings, jewelry etc?

Mostly comics

:::edit:::

I had her website link there but it's easy enough to find w/Google

Even as one who is likely not to be directly affected by all this nonsense, the whole thing is just depressing as hell. And getting more so every day.

Last edited by commishbob; 06-27-2019 at 09:26 AM. Reason: ugh
Old 06-27-2019, 09:40 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Actually, her radio interviews are interesting. People should listen.

http://www.comiczoneradio.com/susan-cicconi.html

Three interesting points are she specifically calls conservation a type of restoration; she says any work, including conservation, has to be disclosed; and she says any work done to the item (including pressing out a wrinkle) is restoration/conservation and has to be disclosed. She said she's a professional conservator/restorer, so any work she's paid to do she says is conservation/restoration. If you ask her to remove a piece of scrapbook paper from a card, she would call that conservation/restoration that she would disclose.

She basically considers 'restoration' and 'conservation' to be different variations of the same basic thing-- and lumps them together under the same heading: work done to an item.

She talks about comic books and, in answer to a call in question, she calls removing a collector's pen or pencil mark to a card be restoration/conservation, in part because she said she finds it impossible to believe you aren't removing some of the surface of the item. And, even if you could remove the pencil or pen mark without removing any of the card, she catalogs it is conservation/restoration because you're doing work on the card.

So as a professional restorer/conservator for Sotheby's she's pretty hardcore-- including more hardcore than most baseball card collectors--, and what she says refutes PWCC's 'tenants.' 1) She would not separate 'conservation' and 'restoration' as PWCC tried to do, and she'd say "Of course it (anything done to a card) has to be disclosed." And she'd refute PWCC's retoric about "bringing back a card to its original state" and "any work that cannot be detected." She would say you can't do work to an item (including removing errant ink or removing scrapbook paper) without physically altering the original item is some way.

And she's clearly against non-professionals doing the work, as amateurs can, and often have, damaged the items by doing ignorant stuff.

And, in response to a call in question about pressing comic book pages, she implies that CGC is wrong for not disclosing certain types of restoration/conservation in their grades. From the discussion with the caller, it's apparently also controversial within the comic hobby that CGC doesn't disclose it.

And listening to her talk how she does her work, I'm certain she disclosed in writing what she did to the Ruth card. She says she produces a form listing/checklisting all of the work she did to the item, no matter what is the work. The omission of that information (whether when submitting for grading and at sale) would have been done down the line.

But she also talks about the processes, which is interesting.

As Sotheby's collectibles restorer/conservator/preservationist, she'd provide most useful expert testimony in a lawsuit or prosecution.

And as an added bonus she basically refutes everything the "maturing the hobby/watch this CGC video" PWCC defenders posted on Net54.

I predict that provenance will become integral to the hobby and grading.

Last edited by drcy; 06-27-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:27 AM
Scott Russell

So she's ethical? That's a refreshing change.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-27-2019, 11:43 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Except when she's not.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:04 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Actually, her radio interviews are interesting. People should listen.

http://www.comiczoneradio.com/susan-cicconi.html

Three interesting points are she specifically calls conservation a type of restoration; she says any work, including conservation, has to be disclosed; and she says any work done to the item (including pressing out a wrinkle) is restoration/conservation and has to be disclosed. She said she's a professional conservator/restorer, so any work she's paid to do she says is conservation/restoration. If you ask her to remove a piece of scrapbook paper from a card, she would call that conservation/restoration that she would disclose.

She basically considers 'restoration' and 'conservation' to be different variations of the same basic thing-- and lumps them together under the same heading: work done to an item.

She talks about comic books and, in answer to a call in question, she calls removing a collector's pen or pencil mark to a card be restoration/conservation, in part because she said she finds it impossible to believe you aren't removing some of the surface of the item. And, even if you could remove the pencil or pen mark without removing any of the card, she catalogs it is conservation/restoration because you're doing work on the card.

So as a professional restorer/conservator for Sotheby's she's pretty hardcore-- including more hardcore than most baseball card collectors--, and what she says refutes PWCC's 'tenants.' 1) She would not separate 'conservation' and 'restoration' as PWCC tried to do, and she'd say "Of course it (anything done to a card) has to be disclosed." And she'd refute PWCC's retoric about "bringing back a card to its original state" and "any work that cannot be detected." She would say you can't do work to an item (including removing errant ink or removing scrapbook paper) without physically altering the original item is some way.

And she's clearly against non-professionals doing the work, as amateurs can, and often have, damaged the items by doing ignorant stuff.

And, in response to a call in question about pressing comic book pages, she implies that CGC is wrong for not disclosing certain types of restoration/conservation in their grades. From the discussion with the caller, it's apparently also controversial within the comic hobby that CGC doesn't disclose it.

And listening to her talk how she does her work, I'm certain she disclosed in writing what she did to the Ruth card. She says she produces a form listing/checklisting all of the work she did to the item, no matter what is the work. The omission of that information (whether when submitting for grading and at sale) would have been done down the line.

But she also talks about the processes, which is interesting.

As Sotheby's collectibles restorer/conservator/preservationist, she'd provide most useful expert testimony in a lawsuit or prosecution.

And as an added bonus she basically refutes everything Goudey77 and other PWCC defenders posted on Net54.

I predict that provenance will become integral to the hobby and grading.
Interesting. When she bragged about it getting passed PSA, there didn’t appear to be concern about disclosure.

But she’s with Sotheby’s, so it must be legit.

Last edited by mechanicalman; 06-27-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:05 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Let’s stick to facts in these trying times. Plenty of legitimate things to complain about. This myth of the inexperienced 18 year old graders is a-pipe dream a made up story. Let’s stick to the facts please. Like I said enough legitimate stuff to discuss. Inaccuracies just water down the facts.
Ok, so they’re not all 18 years old. That excuse actually would have been far more acceptable/preferable to whatever reality is.

How would you explain the sheer incompetence then?

Poor eyesight?
Favorable treatment for “certain customers”?
General ineptitude at the one thing they’re employed to do?

I believe the “18 year old” explanation is far less damning than anything else that can be conjured up in PSA’s defense.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:00 PM
Glyn Parson

Incompetence doesn’t mean they are 18 year old kids. Stop it you’re wrong. Like I said stick to facts they have no 18 year old graders. But keep coming if you want you’re foolish and you’re wrong. Go after the incompetence not the false narrative that these are 18 year old kids doing the grading. Most are in their 40s-50s. These are facts not made up BS stories.

Last edited by glynparson; 06-27-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:47 PM
Steve Birmingham

I did some really good work when I was 18. Good enough he shop had me fill in on the 35" press my last week.

And I know a few kids who really have their stuff together, and did well before they were 18.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:29 PM
Tony

Personally, I think if the altering were disclosed, I would consider that acceptable, although I am not buying any of those 50-100k cards anyway.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:35 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

She removed the Gehrig post from her FB
Old 06-27-2019, 03:40 PM

Why are people so convinced that teenagers can't be intelligent people?

https://www.msn.com/en-sg/lifestyle/...X1V?li=BBnb7Kz
Old 06-27-2019, 03:51 PM
Johnny MaZilli

In the words of Mrs. Clinton at this point what difference does it make.
Who cares how old the grader is ? I don’t

The bottom line relevance is regardless of age....they can’t consistently determine whether a card is altered or not. End
Old 06-27-2019, 05:01 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Ok, so they’re not all 18 years old. That excuse actually would have been far more acceptable/preferable to whatever reality is.

How would you explain the sheer incompetence then?

Poor eyesight?
Favorable treatment for “certain customers”?
General ineptitude at the one thing they’re employed to do?

I believe the “18 year old” explanation is far less damning than anything else that can be conjured up in PSA’s defense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
In the words of Mrs. Clinton at this point what difference does it make.
Who cares how old the grader is ? I don’t

The bottom line relevance is regardless of age....they can’t consistently determine whether a card is altered or not. End
And still nothing from Sloan/PSA about any of this.
Unbelievable that some still defend/utilize them and try to deflect attention away from their incompetence.