NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Kevin S.

Default Thoughts on 1971 Topps yellowless?

Been meaning to post this for about a year....

Several years ago a 71 Munson sold on ebay for a crazy price. Seller said it was a yellowless version. Then, a few years ago, another yellowless Munson surfaced and although it was kinda' beat, it sold for well over $1,000, if I remember correctly.

Since then I have been on a quest to find one of any player. Finally found it a year or two ago, in a Garvey Rookie...even better since he was by boyhood baseball hero.

Since I know of three, I don't think it's an isolated printing defect but a variation, such as the famed 82 blackless. They are definitely not faded.

Anyone have any thoughts? Other examples to show?

Kevin Saucier
Old 10-15-2009, 05:31 PM
FredYoung

Kevin--

Can we see your example?
Old 10-17-2009, 11:06 PM
Kevin S.

Here is the 71 Topps yellowless compared to a normal card. It was eventually graded and labeled "no yellow". It's very much like any other series missing a color, with open pixels.

Since it's not an isolated print defect, I believe it may be a true variation. I would like to see others...they are out there.

Kevin Saucier
Old 10-19-2009, 10:12 AM

Default 1971 Topps yellowless

Here is a linke to a Clemente.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1971-TOPPS-630-B...item562fbc7977
Old 10-19-2009, 10:40 AM
FredYoung

Thanks Kevin---Now I know what to look for!
Old 10-19-2009, 10:53 AM

Default 1971 Topps yellowless

Here is a link to a Clemente.http://cgi.ebay.com/1971-TOPPS-630-B...item562fbc7977
Old 10-19-2009, 12:14 PM
marty quinn

hmmm, it may be kevin, my only thing is the one you have without the yellow the whole card looks faded, the red is washed and so on, if you had a yellow-less with the same deep red and black border then it would be more conclusive. i am not sure on this one?

i just looked at cuddas clemente, looks like the same to me, a washed out card, could this account for the missing yellow? if i were you i would try the nonposrts board and ask todd riley, he seems to be very good with colors and the process.

Last edited by mightyq; 10-19-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Kevin S.

The normal Garvey is a borrowed pic that has had it's contrast darkened. The no yellow version has a nice black background as well. The red looks faded because it actually has yellow mixed in (more a very dark orange)...without the yellow it's a shade of pink. It's without a doubt not faded in the least. I'll try and get some close up scans to show the missing pixels (or white) where the yellow should be.

Thanks for the Clemente link. It's exactly what I was looking for. I've seen them called "white letter" version before but in reality it's not the case....it is yellowless.

Kevin
Old 10-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Kevin S.

Again, using the Garvey, here is the close up comparing a normal card to the missing yellow variation. Although this is just a small portion, the entire card is yellowless giving it washed-out or faded look at first glance. I believe many collectors have simply overlooked these for that reason.

Using a loupe will reveal the obvious.

Kevin Saucier
Old 10-21-2009, 03:34 PM
Al Richter

Default 1971 Yellowless

Kevin

I had seen the Munson offered before but admit I thought it was a fading issue. Maybe not. Do you know if the Garvey and Munson were on the same sheet and if so who else was on that sheet ? Maybe Dave H knows

Al
Old 10-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Kevin S.

I have no idea about the sheet placement.

It may be a good time to start a checklist (if possible). We can now confirm:

Munson (2)
Clemente
Garvey

These were probably identified because they are star cards and were closely scrutinized. There has to be more commons out there as well.

I've also seen a 1971 Topps blueless(?).

Kevin Saucier
Old 10-22-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR View Post
Kevin

I had seen the Munson offered before but admit I thought it was a fading issue. Maybe not. Do you know if the Garvey and Munson were on the same sheet and if so who else was on that sheet ? Maybe Dave H knows

Al
Munson is a series 1 card, Garvey series 3 and Clemente series 5 so definitely not a same sheet issue.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:34 AM
David M.

We've all seen those Topps sheets from their archives that are printing sheets of different colors. I'm not a printing expert, but I'm sure someone out there is that can speak up about printing anomalies. Why should I care if they simply let the printing press run out of yellow ink? Interesting, but not a variation worth paying big dollars for, in my opinion.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Al Richter

Smile Variations

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
We've all seen those Topps sheets from their archives that are printing sheets of different colors. I'm not a printing expert, but I'm sure someone out there is that can speak up about printing anomalies. Why should I care if they simply let the printing press run out of yellow ink? Interesting, but not a variation worth paying big dollars for, in my opinion.
It's funny though how people will pay big bucks....like me... for mere print defects like the Herrer, the Bakep and the Campos. More recently, the SCD catalog lists fairly big premiums for the 1982 Topps blackless cards. That was a hard set for me. Also there have been big premiums paid (guilty again) for the 1980 Topps yellow names.

Why do people pay a premium for them ? Is it just because they are in the Catalog or in the hobby lore, even if by accident ?

Does anyone have a view on whether the 58 yellows or 69 whites are anything more than print defects ? I know Bob L is rethinking his criterea on variations for the big book, but currently you can find examples that I guarantee will not fit whatever definition anyone comes up with.

And, by the way, does anyone have....has anyone seen...that 1962 Topps Roy Sievers stamp in a KC outfit ? :-)
Old 10-25-2009, 10:54 AM
Steve Birmingham

I collect printing errors too, and there's several ways a card can be missing a color.
Press out of ink, one color section of the press not engaged, Sheet mis fed through the press (Either partiallly fed, or double feed) Printed through some obstruction like a part of a mangled sheet, small bit of paper etc. Or the sheet just didn't get run through for that color.

Some of those aren't possible with some processes, And I'm not entirely sure which ones were used at what times. For example sheet fed presses vs web fed presses, or one color press vs multi color press. I'd guess that the change to web fed happened around 1992. And at one point I know topps printed sheets that were double what is usually considered a sheet (2 sheets of 132 side by side)

I have a card that was the corner card from a marker sheet. With a sheet fed press a group of sheets , maybe 10 or so are used to adjust the press. The last one is a marker to allow the pres operator to keep the setup sheets separate. Thy usually do this by tearing a corner off. The card I have shows printing in the torn section. I saw tha sheet it came from, and wanted the whole thing but it was just too much for me at the time.

or the plate can be made wrong